Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Elizabeth Warren Pres. Candidacy.....

69 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Seth AbramsonVerified account @SethAbramson 8h8 hours ago

*And* she supports the initiation of impeachment proceedings,

confirming that it *is* possible for a politician to walk and chew gum at the same time  :rolleyes:

====================================

The HillVerified account @thehill

Elizabeth Warren unveils plan to cancel student loan debt,

create universal free college http://hill.cm/S4AjwCt 

What I heard her say was it would require a 2% tax increase on all taxpayers to fund these two programs.  Majority of people who vote in general elections think they pay too much already.

That is the whole problem with Sanders, Warren, AOC, et. al.  They proselytize programs for which there is no money.  And don't say it can come out of Defense Dept. because it cannot.

Mikel JollettVerified account @Mikel_Jollett 19h19 hours ago

I like that Elizabeth Warren is brilliant. I like that she understands policy. I like that she speaks in long sentences.

I like that she’s got backbone and she’s willing to do the right thing without having to triangulate her way there thru **** focus group-l tested slogans.

I like that she seems uninterested in needlessly picking petty fights with other Democratic campaigns.

I like that she doesn’t seem to feel entitled to the office and instead sees it as something she must earn through hard work.

These are great traits in a president.

I like that Elizabeth Warren doesn’t talk down to her audience.

She clearly doesn’t think voters are stupid nor does she treat policy as nothing but expendable rhetoric to be peppered into some speech but rather as the central business of governance, WHICH IT IS.

Top 40% is a bit disproportionate but it is certainly more egalitarian than whatever it is now, I suppose. :unsure: 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/warrens-student-debt-deal-would-most-benefit-stronger-earners-study-finds-11556150109?shareToken=std2bd845afcbc42acb14a1fa056c8e9e5

Warren’s Student-Debt Deal Would Most Benefit Stronger Earners, Study Finds

A quarter of estimated $640 billion to be forgiven would go to people with master’s degrees, think tank says

17 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Top 40% is a bit disproportionate but it is certainly more egalitarian than whatever it is now, I suppose. :unsure: 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/warrens-student-debt-deal-would-most-benefit-stronger-earners-study-finds-11556150109?shareToken=std2bd845afcbc42acb14a1fa056c8e9e5

A quarter of estimated $640 billion to be forgiven would go to people with master’s degrees, think tank says

I doubt this load bailout would benefit many of her people;  Native Americans.

On 4/25/2019 at 6:45 PM, Gershwin fan said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/warrens-student-d

On 4/25/2019 at 6:45 PM, Gershwin fan said:

ebt-deal-would-most-benefit-stronger-earners-study-finds-11556150109?shareToken=std2bd845afcbc42acb14a1fa056c8e9e5

Can't access the full article, but since it is WSJ, I kind of question the validity.

For one thing, many people with master's degrees are teachers, military and other government workers.  Typically among the lower paid college graduates.  Also, please note they used household income, not the income of the person with the loan.

However, I still think it is a bad idea.

33 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

(at least SHE HAS plans....) :unsure:

How 'I got a plan' became a thing: Warren nerds out and the crowds go crazy

The unlikely making of a campaign slogan.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/03/elizabeth-warren-campaign-slogan-1301085

Plans that will never see the light of day unless progressive Dems control both the House and Senate.

• Like 1

Adam BestVerified account @adamcbest

Warren took time to explain her opioid bill to voters on a shuttle bus.

Biden says he doesn’t “have the time” to talk policy details. Biden gets 7x more cable news coverage.

This primary should be about policy, not personality. Do better, CNN & MSNBC.

<_<

Trump backers applaud Warren in heart of MAGA country

The liberal firebrand draws nods and even a few cheers on a trip through rural West Virginia.

“She’s a good ol’ country girl like anyone else,” she said of Warren, who grew up in Oklahoma. “She’s earned where she is, it wasn’t given to her. I respect that.”

But Warren didn’t come to rural West Virginia primarily in search of votes. The tiny state likely won’t decide the nomination, and is all but certain to back Trump in the general election.

Instead, Warren was here to try to send a message that she’s serious about tackling the problems of remote communities like this one.

The “opioid war” is a medical problem rather than a behavioral or law enforcement one, Warren argued. Her plan is modeled on the government’s response in 1990 to the HIV/AIDS crisis, as she explained in a Medium post earlier this week.

“But we got a second problem in this country and it’s greed,” she said. “People didn’t get addicted all on their own, they got a lot of corporate help. They got a lot of help from corporations that made big money off getting people addicted and keeping them addicted.”........

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/11/warren-west-virginia-2020-1317611

18 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Adam BestVerified account @adamcbest

Warren took time to explain her opioid bill to voters on a shuttle bus.

Biden says he doesn’t “have the time” to talk policy details. Biden gets 7x more cable news coverage.

This primary should be about policy, not personality. Do better, CNN & MSNBC.

<_<

Misdirecting again.  The Biden comment was made during a Q&A event and he fully said he would not require the questioner to stand any longer so he could go into great length to explain his policy.  He also was heavily involved in ACA and full well knows what it takes to actually get a realistic healthcare plan through Congress.

Elizabeth Warren turns down Fox News town hall, calls network a 'hate-for-profit racket'

The Massachusetts senator's rejection breaks with other Democratic contenders like Bernie Sanders and Pete Buttigieg.

....."Hate-for-profit works only if there's profit, so Fox News balances a mix of bigotry, racism and outright lies with enough legit journalism to make the claim to advertisers that it’s a reputable news outlet," Warren continued. "It's all about dragging in ad money — big ad money. But Fox News is struggling as more & more advertisers pull out of their hate-filled space. A Democratic town hall gives the Fox News sales team a way to tell potential sponsors it’s safe to buy ads on Fox — no harm to their brand or reputation (spoiler: it's not)."

Warren added that she "won’t ask millions of Democratic primary voters to tune into an outlet that profits from racism and hate in order to see our candidates — especially when Fox will make even more money adding our valuable audience to their ratings numbers."

Warren Has Earned Her Wonk Reputation

No other top 2020 contender can come close to the depth or breadth of her policy portfolio.

I have a plan for that.” Elizabeth Warren’s reputation as the Democratic Party’s resident wonk is well earned. The Massachusetts senator was churning out ambitious policy proposals even before she became the first big-name challenger to enter the 2020 race. Since then, she’s rolled out one plan after another on issues big and small, from wiping out student debt to improving the living conditions of military families renting homes on U.S. bases. Her latest came just this week: a $100 billion plan to address the nation’s opioid crisis. .....

among the major candidates—the half-dozen or so who routinely poll outside the margin of error—she’s offering the most detailed proposals on the widest swath of issues. And she’s putting those policies front and center in each stump speech and in her casual conversations on the way to her next one.

Consider this list of more than a dozen of the proposals Warren’s running on. .......

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/05/elizabeth-warren-policy-ideas-guide-2020.html

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Elizabeth WarrenVerified account @ewarren 6h6 hours ago

Betsy DeVos is the worst Secretary of Education we’ve seen.

Instead of championing our students, she protects for-profit colleges that break the law.

So I’m making a pledge: In a Warren administration, the Secretary of Education will be a former public school teacher.

I think I would just settle for someone who at one time in their life actually had attended Public School for at least one school year.

Public School is not just getting an academic education, it's also getting an education in the world around you by being around diverse students and faculty.

Schools which are not diverse are disabling their students for the real world..

mitsucolt elton @mitsucolt5566

Warren would make a good SecState but not a electable president.

The litmus test is would one get a beer and sit down with him/ her. Yes with Bill Clinton and Obama and GWB.

:blink:

========================================

Charlotte Clymer🏳️‍🌈Verified account @cmclymer 20h20 hours ago

I don’t need to have a beer with my president. I don’t need them to be my next door neighbor.

I want the smartest person in the class.

I want the nerd who gives a ****.

I want the girl sitting in front who keeps raising her hand

because she did her homework and has the answers.

:huh:

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Warren Has Earned Her Wonk Reputation

No other top 2020 contender can come close to the depth or breadth of her policy portfolio.

I have a plan for that.” Elizabeth Warren

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/05/elizabeth-warren-policy-ideas-guide-2020.html

I read the article and it all sounds good - if you believe in Santa Claus.  It is all pie in the sky and Willie Stark's Soak the Rich campaigns.  There was also the 1937 US Revenue Act . It didn't work for Huey Long or Willie Stark or the IRS and it won't work now.

I think the Dem candidates are outdoing each other in throwing unrealistic ideas at the population in order to win primaries.

Warren can be commended at least for giving more flesh to her ideas and proposing ( totally unrealistic) ways to pay for them.

25 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Elizabeth WarrenVerified account @ewarren 6h6 hours ago

Betsy DeVos is the worst Secretary of Education we’ve seen.

Instead of championing our students, she protects for-profit colleges that break the law.

So I’m making a pledge: In a Warren administration, the Secretary of Education will be a former public school teacher.

I agree with Warren on DeVos.  But, I do not believe there should be a requirement that the Sec. of Education be a former public school teacher.  The Dept. of Education is not a classroom, but a very large bureaucracy with many missions.

Elizabeth Warren Has a Theory About Corporate Power

The left forgot what Roosevelt knew: Small businesses and corporate behemoths have different interests.

".......... Warren is now advancing a different theory—that big corporations’ political influence and market dominance are killing smaller rivals, and that small-business owners share interests with other victims of corporate power....... While other Democratic presidential hopefuls have questioned the power of the tech giants, Warren’s rhetorical embrace of small business has been emphatic. She is at once bidding for votes that Democrats don’t normally seek and inviting her party to see small businesses in a new light. She’s also reviving what once was a core tenet of her party: In a democracy, a primary purpose for government is to disperse economic power. ........

....President Franklin D. Roosevelt decried the concentration of economic power in the hands of “new dynasties” of “economic royalists.” “There was no place among this royalty for our many thousands of small-business men and merchants who sought to make a worthy use of the American system of initiative and profit,” Roosevelt declared. “They were no more free than the worker or the farmer.”

As Democrats of this era saw it, forming a union and starting a business were two avenues toward the same ends: checking corporate power and giving ordinary people economic agency and a fair share of the returns from their labor.....

I’ve talked to hundreds of small-business owners about the challenges they face. Most describe dynamics in their industry that are largely about the exercise of unconstrained market power. In 2016, my organization surveyed more than 3,000 independent businesses. By a 61 percent to 7 percent margin, they said the federal government “should more vigorously enforce antitrust laws.”

Right now, though, neither party speaks to these fears and frustrations. It’s not only that Republicans and Democrats alike are corrupted by corporate dollars and lobbyists. Both parties are ideologically captured by the very idea of bigness itself. As a result, efforts by groups such as the U.S. Chamber of Commerce to blame government—rather than monopoly power—for the troubles of small business go largely unchallenged......

Warren’s focus on small business is more than an appeal to a constituency that lacks a political home. It’s also a kind of shorthand for Americans’ deep-rooted desire to govern ourselves. "

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/05/elizabeth-warren-speaks-out-small-business/589510/

15 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Elizabeth Warren Has a Theory About Corporate Power

The left forgot what Roosevelt knew: Small businesses and corporate behemoths have different interests.

".......... Warren is now advancing a different theory—that big corporations’ political influence and market dominance are killing smaller rivals, and that small-business owners share interests with other victims of corporate power....... While other Democratic presidential hopefuls have questioned the power of the tech giants, Warren’s rhetorical embrace of small business has been emphatic. She is at once bidding for votes that Democrats don’t normally seek and inviting her party to see small businesses in a new light. She’s also reviving what once was a core tenet of her party: In a democracy, a primary purpose for government is to disperse economic power. ........

....President Franklin D. Roosevelt decried the concentration of economic power in the hands of “new dynasties” of “economic royalists.” “There was no place among this royalty for our many thousands of small-business men and merchants who sought to make a worthy use of the American system of initiative and profit,” Roosevelt declared. “They were no more free than the worker or the farmer.”

As Democrats of this era saw it, forming a union and starting a business were two avenues toward the same ends: checking corporate power and giving ordinary people economic agency and a fair share of the returns from their labor.....

I’ve talked to hundreds of small-business owners about the challenges they face. Most describe dynamics in their industry that are largely about the exercise of unconstrained market power. In 2016, my organization surveyed more than 3,000 independent businesses. By a 61 percent to 7 percent margin, they said the federal government “should more vigorously enforce antitrust laws.”

Right now, though, neither party speaks to these fears and frustrations. It’s not only that Republicans and Democrats alike are corrupted by corporate dollars and lobbyists. Both parties are ideologically captured by the very idea of bigness itself. As a result, efforts by groups such as the U.S. Chamber of Commerce to blame government—rather than monopoly power—for the troubles of small business go largely unchallenged......

Warren’s focus on small business is more than an appeal to a constituency that lacks a political home. It’s also a kind of shorthand for Americans’ deep-rooted desire to govern ourselves. "

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/05/elizabeth-warren-speaks-out-small-business/589510/

Does this include Amazon?  The severe restrictions on Amazon and similar companies required to restore small businesses would really pi$$ off a lot of people - A LOT!  Not to mention all the other internet purchases, many from companies that have brick and mortar stores.  These companies are putting their own stores out of business because their customers demand it.  Then there is the large number of people who insist on purchasing the lowest price products and that means Trump's tariffs.