Sign in to follow this  
MoPo

Lackluster TCM Classic Movie News

11 posts in this topic

For the last few months I've noticed a steady decline in the amount of information provided in TCM's monthly Classic Movie News, but the January 2019 edition hits a new low. The one-minute edition was basically a 60 second commercial for the Hollywood Reporter. There must be something newsworthy to report in the world of classic movies (not ONE new book published in the last month?) This monthly feature is in desperate need of help! What's up TCM? Anyone else noticing the declining usefulness of TCM's Classic Movie News?

• Thanks 1

Maybe the TCM staff manning such enterprises needs reviewing. I wouldn't worry though much about not getting any new books on movies or movie stars, since most of them are written by the same network of people who just do some hasty research, slap some photos in the tome and then market it, and probably have their friends give it glowing reviews online.

You are not alone. I have noticed this as well.

I guess what it seems like to me is another push for TCM related products. Now that Filmstruck is gone those bits have obviously vanished from the News segment but Watch TCM has replaced it.

As I have said elsewhere, the TCM culture has changed over the last 25 years from simply being a channel for lovers of old classic films to one of abject consumerism.

If I'm wrong then the person who has the most TCM stuff doesn't win!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

As I have said elsewhere, the TCM culture has changed over the last 25 years from simply being a channel for lovers of old classic films to one of abject consumerism.

Ya mean you are not desirous of purchasing a faux Chiparus Art Deco lamp for your den anytime soon?

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

Ya mean you are not desirous of purchasing a faux Chiparus Art Deco lamp for your den anytime soon?

One that is faithful to an original sounds great, but I presume this would be designed by the Bryan Nesbitt of lamp makers?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

I turn 60 in three weeks. I am no longer desirous of purchasing anything superficial for the rest of my life.  In fact I'm desirous of selling all the crap I've accumulated the past 40 years!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

One that is faithful to an original sounds great, but I presume this would be designed by the Bryan Nesbitt of lamp makers?

I'm sure Chiparus would be complimented to hear of that connection.

ah, capitalism! 'All that is solid melts into air' --Karl Marx

On 1/3/2019 at 3:40 PM, yanceycravat said:

I turn 60 in three weeks. I am no longer desirous of purchasing anything superficial for the rest of my life.  In fact I'm desirous of selling all the crap I've accumulated the past 40 years!

You're not alone.

I'm in the antique business. Although it hurts to see the decline in value as well as collecting in general, it makes me feel good knowing the next few generations do not "collect" ANYTHING-not even movies or music.

Hopefully, the silly days of the baby boomers spending $300 on an old rusty lunchbox are over.

It has been lackluster, hasn't it? And what's the big idea of swiping my Universal avatar? What do you think this is, America???