Sign in to follow this  
Sgt_Markoff

Gene Autry's 'The Cowboy Code'

24 posts in this topic

• The Cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage.

• He must never go back on his word, or a trust confided in him.

• He must always tell the truth.

• He must be gentle with children, the elderly, and animals.

• He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.

• He must help people in distress.

• He must be a good worker.

• He must keep himself clean in thought, speech, action, and personal habits.

• He must respect women, parents, and his nation's laws.

• The Cowboy is a patriot.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:
  •  

• The Cowboy is a patriot.

Yea, and listen to the intelligence agencies.

What is the point of exposing such inconsequential myths? I mean, who cares if all cowboys were not white? Did anyone ever suppose otherwise? Anyway, that 'myth' is simply found in Hollywood movies; and the last time I checked, Hollywood movies do not ever do my thinking for me.

That second image --with the sunset and cactus--is wonky.

Look at #3 on the left. The pros/cons calls this a myth? According to who? Who is to say that it was a 'just a myth' that the west was Eden-Like? Are Yellowstone and Grand Canyon and Yosemeite and Painted Desert and Grand Tetons, not still 'Eden-Like' even today?

#4 on the right-hand side. It goes out of its way to inform us that there were 'harsh conditions'; in the west? Gee I never would have realized I was under any other impression until I just read that bit of wisdom

As usual, the internet provides only bogus opinionizing.

Looking at the first two links: again, what 'myths' is it exploding? Its yawn-worthy stuff. Gee, cowboys were dirty? Thieving? We can guess that.

Lol @  end of first paragraph: "most people transported water in dromedaries". Dromedaries??? Uh, the Camel Corps experiment by the US Government was a very limited thing; so where did everyday people get camels from? You need to check your links more thoroughly, pal.

Telling us that cowboys didn't have as many guns and horses as we think, is not news.

The reason for the Code to be posted in the first place --as a reminder-- was not to quibble about cowboy facts and factoids. It was to remind us that constant group divisions, blame-appointing, finger-pointing and factionism, is what weakens the USA more than anything else. There is no one group or party, no immigrant influx, no ethnic minority or tax bracket which is responsible for our country's ills. The very worst ill is constantly faulting someone else.

I posted the Code, because this section of this forum of this website, is full of wastrels and wretches who do nothing else.

Not my idea of good Americans, that's for sure.

The reason for the Code to be posted in the first place --as a reminder-- was not to quibble about cowboy facts and factoids. It was to remind us that constant group divisions, blame-appointing, finger-pointing and factionism, is what weakens the USA more than anything else. There is no one group or party, no immigrant influx, no ethnic minority or tax bracket which is responsible for our country's ills. The very worst ill is constantly faulting someone else.

I posted the Code, because this section of this forum of this website, is full of wastrels and wretches who do nothing else.

Not my idea of good Americans, that's for sure.

You are sure full of yourself

• Haha 1

Few things in American life are more disgusting than this attitude of "Kansas doesn't want to pay for a Coast Guard".

• "Oh, don't tax us for the things you need. We don't need them, so there's no reason you should need them".
  • "Oh, you're not originally native to these shores, so why should we pay for you now that you're citizens."
  • "Put those filthy scum in prison but how dare you charge us to pay for their room and board".
  • "These welfare recipients shouldn't be having kids if we have to pay for them"
  • "You're overloading our social security programs, it was intended for OUR use, for US not YOU"

'Money' always being the constant bottom line with Americans. "Oh how evil, oh those devils in Washington, oh what an outrage, why are you taxing us, why are you taking our money?" Because we are ONE country, that's why.

6 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Few things in American life are more disgusting than this attitude of * "Kansas doesn't want to pay for a Coast Guard".

• "Oh, don't tax us for the things you need. We don't need them, so there's no reason you should need them".
  • "Oh, you're not originally native to these shores, so why should we pay for you now that you're citizens."
  • "Put those filthy scum in prison but how dare you charge us to pay for their room and board".
  • "These welfare recipients shouldn't be having kids if we have to pay for them"
  • "You're overloading our social security programs, it was intended for OUR use, for US not YOU"

'Money' always being the constant bottom line with Americans. "Oh how evil, oh those devils in Washington, oh what an outrage, why are you taxing us, why are you taking our money?" Because we are ONE country, that's why.

*The US Coast Guard  Pay and Personnel Center is in the state capital of Kansas. It employs Kansans and Kansans are happy to have the Coast Guard.

• Like 1

I don't know much about any cowboy 'code' but I do know about the cowboy chords;  this is a term used by jazz guitar players for the open string chords used by the famous singing cowboys Gene Autry and Roy Rogers.

Dedicated to all the WASTRELS and WRETCHES down here on this section of this forum on this website.

If I'm looking for some credibility in this sub-genre of American history, (only being passingly familiar with it myself) the cowboy authority I trust the most (due to his experience, number of works published, his reputation among his peers, and his availability) is Ramon F. Adams. He puts all supposed "cowboy myth-busting" websites to shame.

No, his books are not 'first-water' such as actually visiting the Smithsonian or the Library of Congress and examining first level source documents--but for layman's purposes he has the last word as far as I'm concerned. Me being an easterner, and all.

You can speak in generalities all you wish; but incidents like the Northfield Raid, are facts. The US Civil War was not the exaggeration of Ned Buntline or Zane Grey. Cattle were not imaginary. Little Big Horn was not fiction. There's plenty enough heroes to go around--even if you want to say that most cowboys were poor hardscrabble losers.

Dedicated to all the WASTRELS and WRETCHES down here on this section of this forum on this website.

I think those whom I label this way, know who they are. Just a glance at the first page of this forum section shows the character of what we've got going on here. Truly odious rabble-rousing, partisanship, and rabid frothing-at-the-mouth.

I get mighty sick of it.

• Haha 1

This cowboy code was something that Gene Autry dreamed up, and that is all it was. It has nothing to do with reality, and certainly didn't represent the real cowboys who won the west.

4 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

As usual, the internet provides only bogus opinionizing.

Is that the pot calling the kettle black?

• Haha 2

IOW, cowboys were few and far between in the Old West.

3 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

If I'm looking for some credibility in this sub-genre of American history, (only being passingly familiar with it myself) the cowboy authority I trust the most (due to his experience, number of works published, his reputation among his peers, and his availability) is Ramon F. Adams. He puts all supposed "cowboy myth-busting" websites to shame.

Sarge maybe you should try to find what Louis L'amour has written about the old west.It's hard to do though because all the fiction western's he wrote waaay overshadows his research about how ppl really lived in the west.

AFAIK He is credited with being probably the best researcher/chronicler of life in the old west anywhere.

Supposedly he was personal friends with the last surviving member of the Dalton gang when that member was an old man and he listened to him tell about his life as a Dalton gang member and remembrances of life in general in the old west...must have been a treasure trove of information there.

He also knew 5 ppl who personally knew Billy The Kid.They told him just about everything a person would/could ever want to know about Billy.But he knew quite a few other old cowboys before they died including one well known sheriff who's name i can't remember and he gathered their remembrances of life in the old west too,and wrote about them.

He too busted some myths about the west.One is the fact that the west wasn't nearly as violent as ppl think it was.There weren't gun battles,bank/train robberies or grinning dance hall girls every day the way the dime novels and Especially Hollywood promoted.In fact life could be rather mundane(boring) and uneventful most of the time.

He blew a misconception ppl have regarding women in the west.Some things he learned from reading countless personal letters and diaries written by the ppl themselves and also from the memories of the old cowboys he knew,is that because there were so few women in the west,because of their rarity,women were treated like gold.Even the outlaws treated them with respect and would not harm them.They,the outlaws,knew if they harmed a woman and the news got out about it,they would lose all the little bit of admiration and respect they had gained from others living in the west.Yes,the outlaws were paid grudging respect and could often count on ppl to keep their mouths shut if questioned by lawmen.This admiration and respect they would lose and ppl would turn them in to the law if they heard that an outlaw or group of outlaws hurt a woman.

Louis L'amour said that in all the countless letters and diaries and memories of old cowboys he ever heard or read that he never once read nor was told of any kind of rape or other assault on a woman.

That's all i can remember about LL,there's a Lot more to him than i know but to read everything he learned and wrote about would be absolutely fascinating...if i could find it,but like i said earlier,his western fiction novels almost totally obliterate his research and are just about all i can find on the inet these days.:(

I think those whom I label this way, know who they are. Just a glance at the first page of this forum section shows the character of what we've got going on here. Truly odious rabble-rousing, partisanship, and rabid frothing-at-the-mouth.

I get mighty sick of it.

giphy.gif

:unsure:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jazz Man hinted:

Is that the pot calling the kettle black? 

Not at all. Though I often rattle out snarky opinions, I'm never posing as a purveyor of information, nor pretending to be any kind of data source. Key difference.

This is a movie website; I'm merely a moviegoer. I never style myself a false authority. Not on that topic or any other.

How many others here (well, especially in this 'political' section of the boards) observe this restraint?

Nevertheless:

• Anytime I step over the line and state something that does sound like a fact --or which someone wishes to take as a fact--I'm ready with a source.
  • Anytime I state an opinion and someone wants to know what research informs my opinion, I'm ready to defend with a source, too.

Sarge maybe you should try to find what Louis L'amour has written

Thank you. But why, though? I'm not currently in need of western research. Certain things are too firmly bedrock for me to worry about possible fraud. The Louisiana Purchase is a fact; Louis-and-Clark's expedition is a fact. Is Louis L'amour gonna tell me that events on this scale didn't take place? ;)

I try not to ascribe to Hollywood cowboy myths; on the other hand, I don't need granular details about cowboys to 'revise' any impressions I might currently harbor.  Some cowboys did ride horses even if many didn't. Who cares? :(

I have a research background myself, as it so happens. I'm more than cynical about 'revelatory findings'. But in this case, it really doesn't matter; there's no burning need to know the skinny.

The bottom line is, the first few links which followed on the heels of my OP are laughable. And they took us off down a dead-end.

The point of knowing the Cowboy Code is not cowboys, but citizenship and how we feel about it today. Its still valid.

^_^

25 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Louis-and-Clark's expedition is a fact.

Were they anything like Lewis and Clark? 😈

• Haha 1

Shrug. I caught the error too (momentarily after I posted); but didnt feel strongly enough about it to go back and correct. When you routinely spell things as well as I do on such a regular basis, you can do that.

You'll search high and low before finding more than a tiny handful of spelling errors in any of my posts over the course of a year. Punctuation is another thing: since its just the internet (where speed is of the essence), I deliberately forego apostrophes and the like. Waste of time.

Anyway just for the sake of completeness here's another guy who dug up letters and diaries for his western research

Thomas Berger, author of 'Little Big Man'

https://tinyurl.com/ycjudxpu