Sign in to follow this  
jaragon

Mary Poppins Returns (2018)

7 posts in this topic

They really should have called this Mary Poppins the Clone- an attempt to recreate classic movie magic is not as easy at it seems.

Blunt is good but not Julie Andrews .  Lin Manuel Miranda might be a Broadway star but he looks dull on screen. They could not write one decent song.  The costumes and animation scene are well done. But the sequence of Meryl Streep is so pointless they could have cut the entire thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jaragon said:

They really should have called this Mary Poppins the Clone- an attempt to recreate classic movie magic is not as easy at it seems.

Blunt is good but not Julie Andrews .  Lin Manuel Miranda might be a Broadway star but he looks dull on screen. They could not write one decent song.  The costumes and animation scene are well done. But the sequence of Meryl Streep is so pointless they could have cut the entire thing. 

Do you think most people agree the original version is better? Though kids watching this today probably have never seen the first one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Do you think most people agree the original version is better? Though kids watching this today probably have never seen the first one.

The original version is better in every way.  I re-watched it on DVD and it still magical even if the sets look stagy and some of the fx work has dated.  Andrews and Van Dyke are musical comedy stars and they bring a joy to their roles that is pure delight- not too mention the perfect Sherman brothers score. I took my nieces to see the new one and they thought it was ok- and yes I'm turning into classic movie fans and they have seen the original.  The new film has a much darker tone- the mother has died, the bank is taking their house and I still don't understand what is Meryl Streep doing in the movie- her number stops the movie and not in a good way- there is not even a payoff at the end- they probably did not cut it because they paid a lot for her.  She was good as the Witch in "Into the Woods" but not here.   Angela Lansbury has a cameo too- but she blends in better- oh wait I'm sure some one at Disney is already planning " Bednobs and Broomstick Too!"

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jaragon said:

The original version is better in every way.  I re-watched it on DVD and it still magical even if the sets look stagy and some of the fx work has dated.  Andrews and Van Dyke are musical comedy stars and they bring a joy to their roles that is pure delight- not too mention the perfect Sherman brothers score. I took my nieces to see the new one and they thought it was ok- and yes I'm turning into classic movie fans and they have seen the original.  The new film has a much darker tone- the mother has died, the bank is taking their house and I still don't understand what is Meryl Streep doing in the movie- her number stops the movie and not in a good way- there is not even a payoff at the end- they probably did not cut it because they paid a lot for her.  She was good as the Witch in "Into the Woods" but not here.   Angela Lansbury has a cameo too- but she blends in better- oh wait I'm sure some one at Disney is already planning " Bednobs and Broomstick Too!"

Thanks for sharing your impressions. Your nieces are lucky to have someone showing them the classics!

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 10:52 AM, TopBilled said:

Your nieces are lucky to have someone showing them the classics!

I think it's important to introduce the next generation to the classics

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jaragon said:

I think it's important to introduce the next generation to the classics

I would agree. :) 

• Like 1