Sign in to follow this  
BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls

Fosse/Verdon series

79 posts in this topic

Did anyone catch during the Golden Globe Awards the first teaser for the upcoming Fosse/Verdon short-run series scheduled to debut on FX in April 2019?

The eight episode series, based on the book Fosse by Sam Wasson, features Sam Rockwell as Bob Fosse and Michelle Williams as Gwen Verdon and tells the story of their romantic and creative relationship.

As a fan of Bob Fosse, I will definitely check out this one.

Other characters in the series include Paddy Chayefsky, Neil Simon, Joan McCracken, Ann Reinking, Hal Prince, Chita Rivera, Liza Minnelli, Joel Grey, Cy Feuer, George Abbott and Shirley MacLaine.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the next project was Charles and Diana? I guess they changed their minds...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I thought the next project was Charles and Diana? I guess they changed their minds...

That was from different producers, and they announced that the Diana/Charles season has been scrapped, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I see.

I think the producers of Feud may have been reluctant to start another season while Olivia de Havilland's lawsuit was still pending. They may start another season soon, or that may have squelched any future plans for more seasons.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I think the producers of Feud may have been reluctant to start another season while Olivia de Havilland's lawsuit was still pending. They may start another season soon, or that may have squelched any future plans for more seasons.

I think it's a safe bet the Royal Family wont be suing (considering all the tabloid covers they've been on over the years)......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Gwen Verdon, one of the great Broadway musical theater actresses, whose work I know from original Broadway cast recordings. We're lucky to have Damn Yankees, her one stage role that she got play on film. I'd like to have seen Redhead and New Girl in Town filmed with her in the lead; and I wish she starred in the film of Sweet Charity; and that Chicago had been filmed in her prime, so that she could have recreated her role of Roxie Hart.

Carol Channing (who will be 98 at the end of this month) never got to recreate her roles on film. I would have preferred the films of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and Hello Dolly with Channing in the lead. The original recording of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is one of my favorites. I did see her on stage as Dolly and might have liked the film, had she starred in it.

But I digress. It will be interesting to see if the Verdon/Fosse series is a hit. They're known to a smaller audience than Crawford/Davis.

51AKLvBuyOL._SY445_.jpg

Gwen Verdon won one of her four Tony Awards for Redhead.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does Michelle Williams continue to play roles like Marilyn Monroe and Gwen Verdon that are such "a stretch"?

Her "Marilyn Monroe" performance was, to be kind, sad, very sad.

The closest I got to "Redhead" was maning the lights for a summer stock production.

It looked like a lot of fun. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 11:26 PM, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

The eight episode series, features Sam Rockwell as Bob Fosse

I have great respect for Rockwell. While he's been in a few movies that left me cold, his performances always impress me. And often don't realize it's him until the credits!

I hope this works better for me than ALL THAT JAZZ.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 8:55 AM, Swithin said:

I love Gwen Verdon, one of the great Broadway musical theater actresses, whose work I know from original Broadway cast recordings. We're lucky to have Damn Yankees, her one stage role that she got play on film. I'd like to have seen Redhead and New Girl in Town filmed with her in the lead; and I wish she starred in the film of Sweet Charity; and that Chicago had been filmed in her prime, so that she could have recreated her role of Roxie Hart.

Carol Channing (who will be 98 at the end of this month) never got to recreate her roles on film. I would have preferred the films of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and Hello Dolly with Channing in the lead. The original recording of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is one of my favorites. I did see her on stage as Dolly and might have liked the film, had she starred in it.

But I digress. It will be interesting to see if the Verdon/Fosse series is a hit. They're known to a smaller audience than Crawford/Davis.

51AKLvBuyOL._SY445_.jpg

Gwen Verdon won one of her four Tony Awards for Redhead.

As individuals Gwen Verdon and Bob Fosse may not be as well known as Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.

But Bob Fosse's choreography--

 

along with the famous numbers that he and Gwen Verdon created on Broadway, many of which have been recreated in popular Hollywood movies--

 

are very well known by the public.

 

Song and dance Numbers like: " Hey, Big Spender", " Steam Heat " and " Whatever Lola Wants ".

Those came from Super Hits like "Damn Yankees",  "Sweet Charity"and "Pajama Game".

 Also, I imagine there might be some "Chicago" and "Pippin" fans out there too.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

But Bob Fosse's choreography--

My favorite shows that Fosse was involved with are mostly the early ones: The Pajama Game, Damn Yankees, Bells Are Ringing, Little Me, How to Succeed....  I didn't see the originals, but I think he choreographed the films of The Pajama Game and Damn Yankees.

I did see a fun revival of Little Me in 1983 with good choreography, but it was by Peter Gennaro. Chicago and Sweet Charity are fun, but as shows not to my liking as much as the ones I mentioned.

Actually, I should see the stage show of Chicago. A friend of mine, the late Peter Howard, arranged the dance music for the show. The last time I saw Peter, we were walking past the theater where a revival of Chicago was playing. He looked up at the marquee and said, "Thank God for Chicago."

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I have great respect for Rockwell. While he's been in a few movies that left me cold, his performances always impress me. And often don't realize it's him until the credits!

I hope this works better for me than ALL THAT JAZZ.

I agree with you about Sam Rockwell. He is a versatile actor who can truly transform himself for a role without "putting on an  act," if you know what I mean.

When I first saw a preview for Vice I had no idea that it was Rockwell playing George W. Bush.

 

6711690-6435003-Sam_as_George_The_cast_i 

Sam Rockwell as George W. Bush

 

fosse-verdon.jpg

Sam Rockwell as Bob Fosse (with Michelle Williams as Gwen Verdon) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a great number. As much as I admire Gwen Verdon as a dancer, I have to say that I couldn't take my eyes off Fosse. It was like watching Fred Astaire; every movement was articulated perfectly. I suppose it makes sense that the choreographer would be so on his game as one of the dancers, but seeing them side-by-side it was even clearer. You can see it in the screen shot above, the slightly sharper movements and poses.

There was a moment when they caught each other's eyes and grinned that made me grin too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DougieB said:

What a great number. As much as I admire Gwen Verdon as a dancer, I have to say that I couldn't take my eyes off Fosse. It was like watching Fred Astaire; every movement was articulated perfectly. I suppose it makes sense that the choreographer would be so on his game as one of the dancers, but seeing them side-by-side it was even clearer. You can see it in the screen shot above, the slightly sharper movements and poses.

There was a moment when they caught each other's eyes and grinned that made me grin too.

 

Unless he or she is paid to choreograph for a particular dancer or movie star, Choreographers generally choreograph dances which are going to suit their bodies and make them feel comfortable-- especially if they are still dancing or they originally started out as a dancer.

Dancers who become choreographers automatically started choreographing their own style and their own look which made them feel comfortable and look good.

When a choreographer dances his or her own work and they created it from their own style-- it's like wearing TaylorMade clothing.

 From everything that I've seen and everything that I know, Gwen Verdon was as good of a dancer as Bob Fosse was.

 But he was the choreographer, wasn't he?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

wearing TaylorMade clothing

Whaaa? Is this an auto censor gaffe or some kind of clothing I don't know about?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

 

Unless he or she is paid to choreograph for a particular dancer or movie star, Choreographers generally choreograph dances which are going to suit their bodies and make them feel comfortable-- especially if they are still dancing or they originally started out as a dancer.

Dancers who become choreographers automatically started choreographing their own style and their own look which made them feel comfortable and look good.

When a choreographer dances his or her own work and they created it from their own style-- it's like wearing TaylorMade clothing.

 From everything that I've seen and everything that I know, Gwen Verdon was as good of a dancer as Bob Fosse was.

 But he was the choreographer, wasn't he?

 

Agreed. Fosse was taller, with longer legs, and I'm sure you're right about choreographers favoring their own style and look. I didn't mean to slight Gwen Verdon, who was obviously one of the greats, but I think Fosse "stole" (not intentionally) the focus in that number.

I wonder how much actual dancing we'll see in the series. Sam Rockwell has given some impressive performances, but is dancing in his wheelhouse at all? Some actors can be full of surprises, so I'm willing to wait and see. I also wonder what the New York/Hollywood split will be. Just from the cast of characters to be portrayed, it seems that it will be more theater than movies, which is probably how it should be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Whaaa? Is this an auto censor gaffe or some kind of clothing I don't know about?

The mic is geared toward Elizabeth Taylor and Robert Taylor. I don't type anything except Betty Davis-- the Mike is not perfect as you can see. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DougieB said:

Agreed. Fosse was taller, with longer legs, and I'm sure you're right about choreographers favoring their own style and look. I didn't mean to slight Gwen Verdon, who was obviously one of the greats, but I think Fosse "stole" (not intentionally) the focus in that number.

I wonder how much actual dancing we'll see in the series. Sam Rockwell has given some impressive performances, but is dancing in his wheelhouse at all? Some actors can be full of surprises, so I'm willing to wait and see. I also wonder what the New York/Hollywood split will be. Just from the cast of characters to be portrayed, it seems that it will be more theater than movies, which is probably how it should be.

I'm not familiar with any of these actors or actresses. But I just know that if somebody hired an actor to play the life of Fred Astaire, then I would expect he should be quite an accomplished dancer.

 At least the two leads and the one that's playing Liza Minnelli - - I would hope they can dance!

But Anne Bancroft got away with it in "The Turning Point" and Fosse himself hired no dancing Roy Schneider to play himself in "All That Jazz". So if it was alright with Fosse, maybe that's the way they'll go too? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really hoping: a really good actor (as Rockwell) can make you believe you're watching a good dancer.....much in the same way Bette Davis made you believe she was an irresistible beauty in MR SKEFFINGTON.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

19 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:
wearing TaylorMade clothing

Whaaa? Is this an auto censor gaffe or some kind of clothing I don't know about?

There is a line of clothing named: TaylorMade. It is clothing for outdoor sports. I was gifted a beanie which carries that name. It is quite nice but I have read many bad reviews for other items in their line. I suspect they choose the name because  of the homonym rather than because the company was founded by a person named: Taylor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2019 at 7:59 AM, DougieB said:

What a great number. As much as I admire Gwen Verdon as a dancer, I have to say that I couldn't take my eyes off Fosse. It was like watching Fred Astaire; every movement was articulated perfectly. I suppose it makes sense that the choreographer would be so on his game as one of the dancers, but seeing them side-by-side it was even clearer. You can see it in the screen shot above, the slightly sharper movements and poses.

There was a moment when they caught each other's eyes and grinned that made me grin too.

I love how Bob Fosse is greeted with "That was terrific, Fosse" as he exits the stage at the end of the"Who's Got the Pain" number.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

I love how Bob Fosse is greeted with "That was terrific, Fosse" as he exits the stage at the end of the"Who's Got the Pain" number.   

Good catch. I had to watch it again to hear it. And it's Tab Hunter himself who says it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us