slim pickins

Watch TCM Films not loading

42 posts in this topic

Still not sure if you went directly from your PC to WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND or not? :unsure:
But based on what you have posted I am thinking not.

1 hour ago, Michael Rennie said:

I installed the Watch TCM app on both of my Amazon devices. I have a tablet and streaming stick. I do have a Roku as well, but like Amazon just a little bit more. Kind of like Firefox versus Chrome. For me Chrome works better and faster.

I will follow this thread and when you post a problem, I will do my best to take a look at it. So far, I am getting a spinning wheel briefly, then a promo loads. Funny how the app works a little different on my tablet versus my stick. On my tablet, the promo plays, My Fair Lady on the big screen, then the movie starts. On my streaming stick, I have to start the movie and there is an option for the host intro.

I know that people post on this board with numerous different problems that I may not be experiencing at my end.
So many devices, apps, and add-on's out there with the added variables of individual conflicts between TCM and them.
Likewise, some confusion when people are watching TCM "on-demand" movies that are available from different deals made between TCM and their various TV Service Providers. They often complain about differing title and presentation issues, etc. and say yeah, this is on TCM "on-demand", but they neglect to clarify that it is from their TVSP and not directly from the TCM website, which is quite a difference.
That is why I got into the habit of writing out WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND, to hopefully make a distinction.

I use no "Smart" TV or device sticks (not yet anyway) with which to compare.
Nor do I use any device other than a PC to stream with.
The only "app" that I use is the required adobe flashplayer when watching TCM.
I do use an HDMI cable from my PC to the larger flat-screen, but otherwise the only variables between me and the WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND servers is a high-end PC, the browser (and TCM required 3rd party & tracking settings), Adobe Flashplayer, my Modem (and I have a back-up modem), and my ISP. 
I deliberately keep it as simple as I can because it minimizes the variables when a problem arises and allows me to trouble shoot my end rather quickly. If everything checks out at my end then I am very confident that the problem is coming from some level at TCM.
So I cannot duplicate problems that others report here when they are using different devices, apps, add-ons, and what-have-you. But, with enough information, I can verify with a relative certainty whether the problem is originating directly from the WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND servers or not.
That is, so long as at least two (or more) of us here have reported very similar problems.

Nobody can rely on TCM for any assistance of any kind (outside of their little generic Faq link), so it has always been "users helping users" here. 
A few years ago, MovieCollectorOH, myself, and a couple of others, would really dig-in to the roots of certain TCM problems here. But because these TCM problems are so repetitive, it becomes fatiguing repeating yourself in post after post and thread after thread. As those informative old trouble-shooting threads and posts still exist on this board, for anyone who cares to go back and look for them (I know that's a chore, so very few ever do, hence the repetition). 
Most of that old handful infrequently check in here anymore. I generally only do so on occasion myself. And especially if I am experiencing a specific issue and just want to see if someone else is too.
I know that the mods do read our threads here (at least every now and then) as they occasionally delete posts and threads of mine.
MODs used to occasionally acknowledge that they were aware of a problem and that TCM was "working" on it.
Or they would reply that the concern had been forwarded on to someone at TCM...
But they stopped doing that awhile back now, leaving us to wonder "are they doing anything at all to help intercede for us these days?"

Regarding the TCM promos and intro-outros...
At my end WATCH TCM-ON-DEMAND will feature those little promos at the beginning of practically every feature (sometimes they are absent on short subjects and cartoons), then (after the TCM screens and logos) the intro (if there is an intro) will play as part of the ensuing movie stream.
At the end of the movie the outro will play.
Below the main feature screen, there's a row of assorted little movie clips, past intros, and sometimes a trailer video available to watch even without signing-in.
When I am experiencing a problem with the main feature, but can still play any of those clips, et al., then I know that it's not a Flashplayer issue, and generally not a conflict with my browser as well.
Sometimes someone at TCM "creates" a browser conflict even when there haven't been any concurrent browser updates. But I save earlier versions of my browser that had worked fine in the past with TCM, and that allows me to go back and double check on those.
If an older browser works, and a recent update does not, then I've pretty well confirmed that TCM has a conflict with that particular browser version.

So thanks Mike for checking back.
We may be able to help each other (and perhaps someone else) out every now and then (especially if they are using the same stuff as yourself). ;):)

With my computer, I went to the Watch TCM link at the top of this page. I clicked on it, not a sub-menu. From there, I used the menu at the right to both sign in and then select "Films." Because I clear my browser daily, it would not be handy to use Watch TCM that way. I'd need to log into Xfinity every time I wanted to use Watch TCM.

Also, I am interested in seeing if I can replicate your issue on a different device. That would help to prove an issue with Watch TCM, and not just a localized glitch for your setup. I am not a computing wiz, just a curious beast.

With all due respect, you may wish to "light one candle, versus cursing the darkness." I don't have a need for Watch TCM. If I did, and it gave me the grief it gives you, I'd look for a better way.

Anyway, I will continue to see if any of the on-demand titles won't load. I switch the sorting to the about to expire mode.

• Thanks 1

W   T   F   is going on TCM !?!?!?!?!

(Yes, sometimes an implied expletive is sadly appropriate!) :rolleyes:
SO, MODs, PLEASE DON'T DELETE THIS POST!!!

Yesterday afternoon (2/14/2019), I did a "shotgun" assessment and checked around a dozen or so different features scattered throughout the WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND availability list, and everyone of them instantly loaded and began to play.
So, yesterday afternoon & evening everything that I tried to watch on WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND loaded and played normally completely through.
And now, today (2/15/2019), WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND is almost Totally screwed-up again!!!!

WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND was "down" (dysfunctional) Tue-Wed this week (Feb. 12-13, 2019).
They were "down" the first 3 days of this month (Feb. 2019).
They were "down" the First week of Jan. 2019.
They were "down" for several days in Dec. 2018

They were intermittantly "down" (for various durations) during assorted months in 2018,
(various past threads and posts reflect this)
Likewise in 2017, and 2016, and 2015,.....

TCM reminds me of a schizophrenic "friend" that I once had. Some days she acted perfectly normal, but on other days (when she was likely not taking her meds) she was wacko!

Okay, so TCM has again forced me to check every single feature listed to see if anything loads and plays as it should.
Good news is that a few of them do.
Bad news is that Most of them don't.

No rhyme or reason that I can figure to this... One might load and play okay, whereas those before and after it won't.
Exactly the same symptoms I described in the previous dysfunctional post in this thread.

Everything at my end checks out fine. IT is Solely a TCM instigated problem.
How do I know that for sure?
Elementary my dear Watson... Some load & play normally while MOST do NOT!

Below is the current Evidence! (as of the last 15 minutes)

Of everything Presently listed on the WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND website

The following features currently load and begin to play "normally."

YES (will load & play)

All About Eve
A Letter To Three Wives
The Adventures of Robin Hood
Adam's Rib
Mrs. Miniver
Casablanca
The Remains of the Day
Lawrence of Arabia
The Cowboy and the Lady
Love Affair
Random Harvest
Waterloo Bridge
Dark Victory
All This, and Heaven Too
The Philadelphia Story
Father Of The Bride

NO (WON'T  LOAD at all)

The Mark of Zorro
The Front Page
Ninotchka
Tom Jones
The Great Dictator
My Favorite Wife
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
The Sunshine Boys
Now, Voyager
The Prince of Tides
Bonnie and Clyde
Dog Day Afternoon
The Great Ziegfeld
The Story of Louis Pasteur
Young Mr. Lincoln
The Stratton Story
Calamity Jane
The Agony and the Ecstasy
In the Heat of the Night
The Defiant Ones
Honeysuckle Rose
Romance on the High Seas
The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone
Travels With My Aunt
A Little Romance
A Passage to India
Royal Wedding
Around the World in 80 Days
Lassie Come Home
The Thin Man
The Best Years Of Our Lives
The Perils of Pauline
Morning Glory
What Price Hollywood?
My Favorite Year
The Band Wagon
The Star
Inside Daisy Clover
The Bad and the Beautiful
Naughty Marietta
San Francisco
On the Town
Singin' in the Rain
Days of Glory
Ship of Fools
The Desert Song
The Stranger
Watch on the Rhine
To Be or Not to Be
Night Train to Munich
Merrily We Live
On the Waterfront
East of Eden
White Shadows in the South Seas
The Racket
Two Arabian Knights
A Woman of Affairs
Our Dancing Daughters
The Divine Lady
Sadie Thompson
The Crowd
Speedy
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Under Western Stars
Splendor in the Grass
Kramer vs. Kramer
Dodsworth
The Window
The Green Years
The Little Fugitive
Little Women
Jungle Book

SHORTS

YES (Zip!)

NO (ZERO LOAD)

The Courtship Of The Newt
Wedding Worries
We Do It Because-
Alfalfa'S Aunt
The Man on the Rock
Microscopic Mysteries
The Law and the Lab
Trifles That Win Wars
The Romance of Digestion
A Really Important Person

So what can be deduced from this back and forth Worky, No Worky TCM rigamarole ???
I haven't the faintest idea today any more than I did when crap similar to this was happening like every other week a couple of years ago.

But whatever has caused it before has never really left. It may go to sleep (or hibernate) for a while, but then it wakes up with a vengeance! 
WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND is just too damn unreliable.
And because I pay big bucks every month to a TVSP just to have access to WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND, they are seriously about to loose me as a customer.
And I have been a fan and paying subscriber for TCM since it's inception in 1994!!!
Yes, it is getting to be that frustrating for me that I am about to hang it up and say goodbye TCM, and good riddance to the aggravation you've caused me ever since you introduced WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND.
Well, everybody has a limit to their patience, and TCM has done their best (or worst) in pushing me to mine. 

It would be good for a Mod here to forward this entire thread up the TCM chain so that some CEO that just might (I know that I'm dreaming here, right!) actually pay attention and do something to fix all of this ongoing inconsistency!
If for no other reason than it makes no fiscal sense to spend money producing and promoting a prominent TCM feature, when it is allowed to be so dysfunctional that it drives viewer/subscribers away.
Not only the newbies mind you (that quickly find out how unreliably bad it can be), but the old timers that have stuck around for years...
But the acetone of dysfunctionality is finally eroding the glue that had adhered some of us to TCM for so long.

As our wondrously "great???" leader??? might say,
"Sad, very very Sad.
TCM you are messing up Biggly, really Biggly!
In fact, if you were on my TV show, The Apprentice, I would have already said "You're Fired! long ago.
Yes, I really would have. And that is No Fake News!"

I sorted the movies from A to Z. Looked at all the A movies in your won't load list. All movies would load on my Amazon tablet with Watch TCM app.

I will check back again tomorrow, when I am back online.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

Because I clear my browser daily, it would not be handy to use Watch TCM that way. I'd need to log into Xfinity every time I wanted to use Watch TCM.

Good for you. Heck I clear my browser before and after I watch anything on WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND.
And yes, I sign-in again with my TVSP data for each movie I watch.
Just to keep the insidious 3rd party cookies at bay.
Extremely cumbersome process but I have made it a ritual just to avail myself to the "good" of TCM (the "classic" movies) while attempting to minimize the potential damage from the "bad" side of TCM.
They have become extremely pervasive the last few years, forcing any subscriber who wishes to stream anything from them to totally surrender themselves to any and all 3rd party cookies and tracking.
So we do what we can to thwart the corporate beast as best we can.

7 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

With all due respect, you may wish to "light one candle, versus cursing the darkness." I don't have a need for Watch TCM. If I did, and it gave me the grief it gives you, I'd look for a better way.

I don't really have a "NEED" for TCM... I survived just fine without it before it existed and I can do so again.
It has enriched me over the years... but what I do have (and I think many of us share, regarding TCM) is an addiction!
And as most addicts will share regarding their favorite drug, they don't do it because it makes them feel bad.
They do it because it makes them feel "good".
And the pleasure "reward" is so intense that they endure the "bad" that it causes them.
But, there comes a time when one needs to go "cold turkey" and do something more constructive with one's life. So your advice is well received. Thanks.

56 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

All movies would load on my Amazon tablet with Watch TCM app.

That is interesting...
But if we want to compare apples with apples, then we both should be using as close to the same equipment as possible. Meaning just a PC (without any "apps") as you described in your previous post.

2 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

With my computer, I went to the Watch TCM link at the top of this page. I clicked on it, not a sub-menu. From there, I used the menu at the right to both sign in and then select "Films." Because I clear my browser daily, it would not be handy to use Watch TCM that way. I'd need to log into Xfinity every time I wanted to use Watch TCM. 

Barring the differences in our OS and browsers, we should be able to see (or not as the case may be) the same things. That is if we could get the timing down. 
Because (as recently experienced) what works with WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND one day, may not work the next day, and vice versa. 
Anyway, I do appreciate you taking the time to cross check.
I will cut out for awhile and then recheck myself in a few hours. Who knows if anyone at TCM is aware of what's happening and maybe trying to "fix" it again??? :rolleyes:

What a mess. The sort mode does not work with my browser on my PC. The Mark Of Zorro, does nothing when you click it. Some of the movies don't show up in a search. At least five movies you list below The Mark Of Zorro, don't show up. This is with my computer and Firefox.

I will look later with my Fire TV or Fire tablet.

I have to agree, the entire Watch TCM on my Windows PC is mess!!!

EDIT: On my Amazon TV stick, only the intro played for The Mark Of Zorro. Guess the movie expired. Maybe some of the others did too. Also, I don't stay logged in. Have to confirm the my Xfinity account each time I go to Watch TCM. Do not have to log in completely over, just confirm my credentials. Both of my Roku players with Watch TCM app, are working fine.

I think there could be some sort of DRM glitch associated with a computer and browser.

23 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

What a mess. The sort mode does not work with my browser on my PC. The Mark Of Zorro, does nothing when you click it. Some of the movies don't show up in a search. At least five movies you list below The Mark Of Zorro, don't show up. This is with my computer and Firefox.

I will look later with my Fire TV or Fire tablet.

I have to agree, the entire Watch TCM on my Windows PC is mess!!!

In deed!
I am quite frankly surprised that no one else has chimed in here, or posted new threads inquiring about this.
Could it be that nobody streams WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND just from their PC anymore?
Is everybody using some other device with an app that they have downloaded?
I'm beginning to feel like I might be a dinosaur around here?
OR, could it be that those people that are experiencing this as well are just so fed up, because nobody at TCM responds to them anyway, that they've given up complaining about it and maybe have just left TCM completely???
I can well understand the latter.

23 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

EDIT: On my Amazon TV stick, only the intro played for The Mark Of Zorro. Guess the movie expired. Maybe some of the others did too. Also, I don't stay logged in. Have to confirm the my Xfinity account each time I go to Watch TCM. Do not have to log in completely over, just confirm my credentials. Both of my Roku players with Watch TCM app, are working fine.

I think there could be some sort of DRM glitch associated with a computer and browser.

Sounds likely, as they're only there for seven days after broadcast. If you are going to cross-check, please do so with the movies that I can currently still load and play from bottom up on the "green" list (from Father Of The Bride backwards, as that "load & playable" list is dwindling fast.
Pretty sad if TCM is now restricting functionality to only those with apps and devices other than a simple PC with a TVSP & ISP (there are still plenty of us out there that still just use a PC to stream with).
Not sure what (or who) is actually causing this problem as it appears the same as has happened repeatedly before. But I'd think that if it were as you suggest (i.e. "DRM glitch associated with a PC & browser") then I wouldn't be able to watch anything that TCM streams, either the LIVE feeds or any of the ON-DEMAND movies, which is obviously not the case, at least not for now anyway... :rolleyes:

I have gotten into the routine habit of using WATCH TCM over the years because when it does work, it is has been extremely convenient for me. Especially when traveling, to be able to access it and watch most any movie that TCM has aired within the last seven days at MY convenience.
I purchased my own DVR years ago and refuse to activate the one on my TVSP receiver and pay rent for something that I rarely use anymore. However, since late 2015 I have been locked into the TVSP receiver's tuner, meaning that my DVR only works on whatever channel that receiver is on at the time. And their damn tuner automatically times out after a few hrs if it senses no recent activity. I have checked and there is no work around with that particular model, so I often must be physically present to actually DVR anything, making it almost useless unless recording something really special for posterity.
Another advantage I have noticed of streaming vs the TV broadcast, is frequently there are some interruptions in the latter, i.e. a bi-weekly (tri-weekly...) emergency tests of the system that can occur at any time. Or occasional quality issues, i.e. pixilation, momentary video/audio, freezes, etc. OR even total loss of the signal for whatever reason/s. So the streaming (when it works) bypasses all that.

But as I write NOTHING playable has been added to the defective WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND list since Father of the Bride was added. And of that dwindling handful that still do load & play (noted previously) nothing has been added since that will load at all. 
I can still stream "Live" from WATCH TCM East & West coast feeds, but that is like watching TV anyway, so no real advantage there, except that it continues to confirm that there is nothing at all wrong at my end (with my browser, settings or equipment, etc.)
If TCM only (maybe) "listens/responds" to those that report problems on social media sites like Facebook & Twitter, etc. then mentioning anything here (outside of user confirmation) is a lost cause.

I have decided to leave the determination of the fate of my on-going relationship with TCM (in general) and WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND (specifically) in the hands of the "gods."

It has now been another two days of TCM dysfunction.
IF, TCM cleans up it's act by next week, allowing me to actually watch movies from WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND, then I may continue on with them, as before.
IF NOT, then I have decided to cancel my current TVSP tier level that allows me access to TCM, and reduce it to a basic tier level.
I will then no longer be able to watch TCM at all, and that will be an end to it.
The way I see it is, when WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND doesn't work I am paying for nothing anyway, so why continue to pay for that frustration.

I may still access the TCM schedule for inspiration if for nothing else.
If I see that they are going to air something that I've never seen before or really want to see again, then I will try to obtain that video by some other means, such as an inter-library loan from my local library, or by streaming from YouTube or elsewhere. 
The only programs that I will likely miss out on are those rare TCM premiers of features that have never been recorded on video tape or digitally transferred into some other medium.
But I am willing to live with that.

Of course if I can no longer access WATCH TCM then I will be spared from ever coming to this "technical" thread again, and I am sure that the mods here will be happy about that, as they apparently hate having to deal with anyone who complains about the "wonderfulness" of TCM.
Of course they'll have to "exercise" that "delete" finger elsewhere without me being around anymore....

Stephan55: Which one of the spinning wheels are you getting? (see bottom of post) I am able to replicate different browsers on different operating systems without actually having them. Using Firefox on my Windows PC, if I switch to Android, I am prompted to get the mobile app from the Google Play Store. If I switch to anything iOS, I get the larger spinning wheel on the left, and it stays forever. The smaller spinning wheel on the right is what briefly happens when I am not having any issues but waiting for the stream to load.

With all due respect, don't expect tech support from TCM. My point when I use the Watch TCM app on a device, and the films load, that implies the films are fine. There is an older thread in this section where the TCM Moderators are very helpful, but that was 2014. Here is the thread title: "Watch TCM doesn't work on Google Chrome" (link below)

I am not a computer wiz. I do know there are way too many configurations, especially Windows, for anyone to diagnose. Notice how Watch TCM is more than just available on iOS and Android. Now Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Tablet and Amazon Fire TV.

It would be foolish to abandon TCM instead of going with a fix that works.

How do I say this nice? You remind me of me. Stubborn. Do you have a smart phone? Install the Watch TCM app there, and see if your movies play.

So far, you don't want Windows 10. Don't want anything Google. What are your Windows 7 plans a year from now, when there is no more support?

I have to use Windows because of my eyesight. Would love to have a Mac again, and still have one that is way too old to be current. Waiting to recycle it.

Apple would love your business and would treat you well.

Here are the spinning wheels and old thread link.

spinning wheels.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

Stephan55: Which one of the spinning wheels are you getting? (see bottom of post)

Here are the spinning wheels and old thread link.

spinning wheels.jpg

Neither, they are "a counter-clockwise arrow (not a buffering circle) and won't load."
As described below. It doesn't "spin" like it's "buffering" and trying to load. The image is static. 
It is the counterclockwise arrow that shows up After a movie has finished playing.
The kind you click to replay the movie over again.

Same as slim pickins described in the OP to this thread.

On 1/8/2019 at 4:35 AM, slim pickins said:

The following films are not loading for me:

Morning Glory 1933
Hollywood My Hometown 1965
Dr. Mabuse the Gambler 1922
Goodbye, Miss Turlock 1947

The first two show a counter-clockwise arrow (not buffering circle) and won't load.
The second two won't load at all.

5 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

With all due respect, don't expect tech support from TCM. My point when I use the Watch TCM app on a device, and the films load, that implies the films are fine.

Oh I have long ago learned to never expect anything from TCM, least of all "tech (or even Mod) support."
Granted, I get it that you and others are able to Watch TCM with different devices and various app's
(which is quite a reversal from the otherwise dysfunctional TCM norm. More often the case has been various device and App conflicts being reported, and more often only persons using just their PC's with no apps have been able to stream from TCM, not so this time.)

The few films that are left that still load are fine for me as well. But the rest just behave as if they have already played and the little counter clockwise arrow can't stimulate them to replay.
(As said before, E. & W. coast "Live" streams play normally, but that is not WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND).
It has been like this before, and someone at TCM central pushes some button, or clicks on some terminal, and suddenly these movies load normally again. But I really believe (because nobody at TCM apparently monitors the QA output on various devices) that TCM is not even aware that this is happening right now.
Evidently nobody there is checking with a simple PC and Firefox browser to make sure things are as they should be downstream.
The only other conclusion, is that "yeah they do know, but for whatever reason they just don't care." Or worse, they are trying to force all of their subscribers that wish to WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND to acquire some add-on software or device that circumvents the user ability to reverse privacy settings after a movie has successfully loaded and begun to play. Making it impossible for us to stream anything without allowing their cookies and trackers to remain on board our systems indefinitely, via their app.
That wouldn't surprise me one bit either.

6 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

There is an older thread in this section where the TCM Moderators are very helpful, but that was 2014. Here is the thread title: "Watch TCM doesn't work on Google Chrome" (link below)

Back in late 2015, and 2016, I read every post within this forum seeking answers to the problems back then.
I have kept fairly on top of this board ever since and made numerous "concern," "complain," and "troubleshooting assistance"  threads and posts here.
But I do appreciate that you are doing the same thing that I did long ago and reading what you can (looking for solutions) from those previous, often antiquated, threads.

It would be foolish to abandon TCM instead of going with a fix that works.

How do I say this nice? You remind me of me. Stubborn. Do you have a smart phone? Install the Watch TCM app there, and see if your movies play.

So far, you don't want Windows 10. Don't want anything Google. What are your Windows 7 plans a year from now, when there is no more support?

In the past, I and others here have sometimes managed a "work-around" that allowed us to watch movies until TCM got their act together. But often times it was just a wait and see how long it finally took them to make things work again.
As said before, in my case anyway, 99 percent of the time the causal factor was TCM not the end user. 

Stubborn? Yes, Defiant? Most definitely. If I can no longer watch TCM ON-DEMAND with a simple high-end PC and no add-on apps, as I have for these last several years, then I will no longer watch TCM at all.

No, I do not have a "Smart" phone, nor a "Smart" TV... I like my appliances dumb, deaf and blind.
It is bad enough that my TVSP can access whatever I watch for marketing data via the telemetry receivers that we have to pay monthly rent on.

No I refuse to surrender any more of my privacy to Google and Microsoft. And I deny Windows 10 spyware.
Even if they have become the only software to work with TCM or anything else that I can live without.

My plans are to retire my Win 7 pro systems for strictly off-line use. And implement whatever Linux operating system that allows me to do what I need or wish to do online with a level of personal security that I require.

As said before, there are still non-invasive and far less invasive, options to Google and Windows search engines and software. And there are alternate browsers that (for the time being) work with users and not against us

You may think that I am "cutting off my nose to spite my face" with my attitude.
But not so. TCM is not my nose, it has been a luxury that I enjoyed but can just as easily live without (as I currently am since it isn't working) and especially if they try to force an issue on us.
As long as I have alternative options, I will seek them out before allowing any company to willingly have their unfettered way with me.
Google and Windows are not "candles in the darkness" to me. They are explosive fuses that I refuse to light. 

Apple would love your business and would treat you well.

Way, way back, when I first entered the world of PC's, I considered Apple.
But I went with IBM compatibles because the software at that time was more readily available in that format and far less expensive to purchase.
My first OS was Win 3.0. I still have a PC with that OS on board because the software programs still function the same as always.
I used to religiously upgrade to practically each new Windows OS that they released, until I realized that some were real stinkers.
Win '95 was a huge improvement in stability but I began to loose backward compatibility with my old and quite expensive software programs.
Win '98 was okay, but everything from that to Win XP Pro was a flop.
I tried out a couple of Win Operating systems after XP but discovered that XP was better.
I stuck with XP until it was no longer supported and then had another retired PC just for the XP software compatibility.
Then I moved on to Win 7 pro. Which has proven to be exceptionally reliable, and superior to anything that MS has released since.
Win 10 is really designed for full time on-line users, and MS retains control of every aspect of it.
Had MS not tried to covertly force it upon me I might have willingly tried it out instead of studying up on it.
It was then that I realized that MS had become the "Big Blue" that Mac had long been warning us about.
Not that the Apple I-Phones et al are not just as intrusive. But once my eyes were opened to the "big plan" I could not close them again.
Some people claim to love MS and Win 10. Some people don't know better. And others don't care... as long as they can continue on, they won't care until MS and Google, et al, bite them in the butt.
They have been nibbling there so long that I suppose many folks just think of it as par for the course.
I mean if they are on Facebook and Twitter et al, they've already given it all away anyway, so who cares....

Hey, sorry about the rant there big guy.
I do appreciate your concern.
But I think I know what's going on, and it ain't to pretty to look at.
Like I said, and I do believe that I really mean it this time.
TCM will either work for me as before, as is. Or I plan to quit them by next TVSP bill day.
You know just saying that out loud makes me feel a whole lot better.
Thanks Pal.

14 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

You know just saying that out loud makes me feel a whole lot better.

Why? Turner/Warner/AT&T is not going to cry in their beer. I do hope you will move to a streaming provider. Almost everyone has TCM included. It is an extra with Sling TV. Play Station Vue connects with Watch TCM. That doesn't mean it will work for you any better than now. I don't have any paid streaming subscriptions. I think you can ask around the main forum area for comparisons with Watch TCM's titles and what is available via the on demand section.

Talking this over with you seems to be more productive than the other parts of this message board. Lot of weird stuff going on. Yeah, I jumped into some of it.

I wish you good luck!

EDIT: I just noticed a thread from Lorna talking about her experience with Hulu. Her original claim is access to about 2/3 of the titles recently shown on TCM.

From her post:

"Anyhoo, soes she leaves me to it and I AM THRILLED TO DISCOVER THAT TCM ON HULU includes both TCM WEST and TCM EAST feeds so I can catch the stuff they show later. It also includes about 2/3 of what has played on TCM within a three week period. It also has a "suggestions" button that has me down after a few choices I have made."

• Thanks 1

Sorry I missed your post Stephan. Was away part of last week. Glad to hear you got to finish Tora! Tora! Tora! Watched it many times. I just recently checked out the 2-disc special edition from the library. I'm a bit of history film nerd and enjoyed listening to the optional commentary by director Richard Fleischer & Japanese film historian Stuart Galbraith IV.

Most of the films have been loading fairly well lately. All but one that is:

Merrily We Live ( 1938)

I also noticed the overview:
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/614605/Merrily-We-Live/

and film info:
http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/titles/614605

databases are empty.

43 minutes ago, slim pickins said:

Sorry I missed your post Stephan. Was away part of last week. Glad to hear you got to finish Tora! Tora! Tora! Watched it many times. I just recently checked out the 2-disc special edition from the library. I'm a bit of history film nerd and enjoyed listening to the optional commentary by director Richard Fleischer & Japanese film historian Stuart Galbraith IV.

Most of the films have been loading fairly well lately. All but one that is:

Merrily We Live ( 1938)

I also noticed the overview:
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/614605/Merrily-We-Live/

and film info:
http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/titles/614605

databases are empty.

Yeah me too, I'd seen it a few times before, but just had a hankering to rewatch. But that was the last WATCH TCM ON DEMAND  movie that I have been able to see that I have wanted to see since Thursday night.
TCM went kaplop (for me & Win 7 Pro & Firefox) last Tues-Wed., then everything worked again for Thurs (Valentines Day), and Friday practically eveything refused to load again (just like in your OP). All except 16 movies which I had already seen numerous times, and half of those (that haven't yet expired) have also stopped loading now. Nothing "new" added since last Friday on will load, and so No WATCH TCM (except live streams) since last Friday.
I am paying for nothing. And TCM doesn't give a rats Azz. So I am afraid I am cutting TCM out of the cable tier that I pay for (since I'm not getting it anyway) and going down to basic by next TVSP bill day.
It has to be a Win 7/Firefox glitch at the TCM end, since no one else except those of us that haven't gone over to Win 10, are being screwed by this.
And since there are still a diminishing handful of "playable movies left, and the Live stream still works, I know that it isn't an adobe Flash conflict, or really even a total Win 7 conflict.
I've changed nothing before or since this happened at my end, so it's just TCM behaving very badly again.
But this time I have really reached my limit and the only power i have is to stop paying to be an unserviced TCM subscriber.
Anyway, good for you, for now. But beware as the past "norm" had been for TCM to mostly screw the various app and alternate device users, now it appears to just be us old-timers still using a PC with something older than Win 10.

So adios amigo. And don't take any wooden nickels.

On 2/19/2019 at 8:58 PM, Stephan55 said:

So adios amigo. And don't take any wooden nickels.

I quoted you, so the forum will give you an alert if you log in. I have probably already claimed to having an Amazon tablet. I was able to take the included Amazon Silk Browser, switch to desktop mode versus mobile, and log into Watch TCM with my Xfinity account. Most mobile browsers let you switch from the mobile version to the desktop version of a web site. In the mobile version, it tells me to download the app for Watch TCM.

I got into Watch TCM and started a movie. My point is this worked on a mobile browser without Adobe Flash Player. Wanted to pass this along since there seems to be no information from TCM. Here is proof:

Screenshot_2019-02-25-11-41-39

@Stephan55

Support for Windows 7 is to end in the near furure:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-windows-7-support

That leaves Windows 8, MacOS, or Linux if you don't want to "upgrade" to Windows 10.  Early adopters of other latest versions of software, which play strictly by the book as per corporate policy, may find themselves in this predicament.  In particular where things are driven top-down by "big corporate" policies, rather than common sense staging with all platforms tested and delayed releases, to ensure maximum compatibility.  That may or may not include Adobe or AT&T, and to a lesser extent Mozilla.  In other words a more conservative approach to release cycle while taking into consideration security patches and continued support for older systems may be in order.

Important point:  If you decide to continue to use Windows 7 after support is discontinued and security patches stop, at least be sure to use a web browser that is currently supported with security updates.  That excludes anything from Microsoft, presumably Firefox's compatibility window will extend well beyond that of Microsoft's for Windows 7-compatible browser updates.

----------------------------------------------

P.S.  I have migrated my Internet-connected computers from Windows 7 over to Linux Mint.  For anyone who might be curious about using a Linux distribution on their PC (a non-Microsoft, non-Google, privacy-minded replacement operating system), here is a quick and dirty write-up I did.  This is intended to answer some very basic questions.  Also I recommend the latest version of the Firefox browser.

Linux Mint Background
http://moviecollectoroh.com/linux-mint/linux-mint-origins.html

Testing Linux Mint
http://moviecollectoroh.com/linux-mint/linux-mint-testing.html

Even tho' Watch TCM now works with Roku, Amazon, and Apple TV products, TCM still calls it a way to watch TCM on your 'mobile' device. Can't understand why Watch TCM, which looks a lot like FilmStruck did, is not as reliable. I never paid for FilmStruck, but would look at some of the shorts, which they didn't stop me from doing. The stream worked everywhere, and I was able to contact FilmStruck. They had informed me, all was switched to HTML5.

I have 'contacted' TCM to ask if they have moved to HTML5, which would explain why I can watch with my Amazon tablet. With FilmStruck, I could watch without moving from mobile to desktop mode. It just worked. No reply as yet from TCM.

FilmStruck should have stayed and morphed with Watch TCM, creating a paid for service for watching TCM live, or on demand.

I never used the FilmStruck app, only a web browser. Again, it just worked.

In the big picture, I am less happy with TCM than I'd like to be.