slim pickins

Watch TCM Films not loading

3 posts in this topic

The following films are not loading for me:

Morning Glory 1933
Hollywood My Hometown 1965
Dr. Mabuse the Gambler 1922
Goodbye, Miss Turlock 1947

The first two show a counter-clockwise arrow (not buffering circle) and won't load.
The second two won't load at all.

Anyone out in TCM-land experiencing similar issues?

Using a laptop, Windows 10 and DISH subscriber.

• Thanks 1

Probably an issue with those films. I tried two of them and got the same results as you. I also tried two films not on your list and they loaded properly.

On 1/8/2019 at 4:35 AM, slim pickins said:

The following films are not loading for me:

Morning Glory 1933
Hollywood My Hometown 1965
Dr. Mabuse the Gambler 1922
Goodbye, Miss Turlock 1947

The first two show a counter-clockwise arrow (not buffering circle) and won't load.
The second two won't load at all.

Anyone out in TCM-land experiencing similar issues?

Using a laptop, Windows 10 and DISH subscriber.

Howdy Slim, yep good buddy, you are not alone. I too tried to watch Dr Mabuse earlier in the week-- same'o as you. Today I tried to catch the Miss Turlock short, Same'O again.
I've seen them both before so didn't fret much, except that this is another example of TCM behaving badly again (as usual).
Using Win7 Pro, and COX Cable so this is most definitely a universal TCM failure at their end.
I figured that there were other features affected as well, but didn't wish to make the effort of checking every one and reporting about it here (as I used to do) since no one aside from "ourselves" (the TCM subscriber/viewers) evidently really cares if WATCH TCM works as it should or not.

Somebody at TCM did a half-Azz job (again). They went through the effort of making these features "appear" as if they were available for ON-DEMAND viewing, but failed to follow-through with whatever little "click" or thing to actually make it happen.
As scsu1975 has stated (and you likely have already observed) this is only occurring with a few of these features but not all of them (this time), so I imagine "if" TCM actually had a "Quality Assurance" person for WATCH TCM that it would be rather easy to find out which person it was who dropped the ball this time. (And then train or re-train them so that this type of issue would not reoccur, as it too often has in the past.)
But sadly, QA is something that the "people" managing (miss-managing) WATCH TCM has never apparently found a "need" for.

I will add one more somewhat unrelated issue to the above... I wanted to again watch the sword & sandal epic Helen of Troy and to my dismay discovered that WATCH TCM was putting out a "Match Box/Window-Box" stream.
It has been available on WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND before, and though it was originally filmed in widescreen Letterbox (and has been presented as such ON-DEMAND), the all around black bars and much too small picture (Match Box) is  not "normal" (for more detail you can refer back to an earlier thread in this forum addressing "Window-Box" formatting). Just one more recent example of TCM behaving badly...