Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

New York meteorologist fired after using racial slur on air

8 posts in this topic

A television station in Rochester, New York, fired a meteorologist Sunday after he used a racial slur on air.

During WHEC-TV's Friday evening broadcast, Jeremy Kappell said "Martin Luther **** Park," when referring to a downtown Rochester park named after slain civil rights movement leader Martin Luther King Jr.

In a video viewed by CNN, Kappell says "King" immediately after using the slur and continues with the broadcast.
Kappell said his use of the slur was a mistake caused by speaking too quickly.

"What happened on Friday, to me, it's a simple misunderstanding. If you watch me regularly you know that I tend to contain a lot of information in my weather cast, which forces me to speak fast and unfortunately I spoke a little too fast when I was referencing Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. So fast to the point where I jumbled a couple of words. In my mind I knew I mispronounced, but there was no malice. I had no idea the way it came across to many people," he said in a video posted to Facebook Monday night.

Kappell said as soon as he heard the mispronunciation he "put emphasis on 'King' and moved on."

"I had no idea what some people could have interpreted that as and I know some people did interpret that the wrong way. That was not a word I said, I promise you that. If you did feel that it hurt you in any way, I sincerely apologize," he said.

Clips of Kappell using the racial slur made the rounds on social media over the weekend, prompting Rochester Mayor Lovely A. Warren and the city council to release a statement Sunday.

This is what happens in today's PC world where people sit around waiting to be offended. A person can't even make an honest mistake broadcasting the weather now.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

A television station in Rochester, New York, fired a meteorologist Sunday after he used a racial slur on air.

During WHEC-TV's Friday evening broadcast, Jeremy Kappell said "Martin Luther **** Park," when referring to a downtown Rochester park named after slain civil rights movement leader Martin Luther King Jr.

In a video viewed by CNN, Kappell says "King" immediately after using the slur and continues with the broadcast.
Kappell said his use of the slur was a mistake caused by speaking too quickly.

"What happened on Friday, to me, it's a simple misunderstanding. If you watch me regularly you know that I tend to contain a lot of information in my weather cast, which forces me to speak fast and unfortunately I spoke a little too fast when I was referencing Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. So fast to the point where I jumbled a couple of words. In my mind I knew I mispronounced, but there was no malice. I had no idea the way it came across to many people," he said in a video posted to Facebook Monday night.

Kappell said as soon as he heard the mispronunciation he "put emphasis on 'King' and moved on."

"I had no idea what some people could have interpreted that as and I know some people did interpret that the wrong way. That was not a word I said, I promise you that. If you did feel that it hurt you in any way, I sincerely apologize," he said.

Clips of Kappell using the racial slur made the rounds on social media over the weekend, prompting Rochester Mayor Lovely A. Warren and the city council to release a statement Sunday.

This is what happens in today's PC world where people sit around waiting to be offended. A person can't even make an honest mistake broadcasting the weather now.

I've read what he originally said, no way that can be a mistake regardless if he's speaking too fast or not because of the major differences in the VOWELS.  Tried to pulled a fast one and thought he could simply say it's a mistake. 

41 minutes ago, hamradio said:

I've read what he originally said, no way that can be a mistake regardless if he's speaking too fast or not because of the major differences in the VOWELS.  Tried to pulled a fast one and thought he could simply say it's a mistake. 

His brain was probably thinking "Martin Luther ****** Park" and some of it came out of his mouth before he could stop it.

Brains and mouths do screw up that way sometimes.

• Like 1

REALLY?

(Thankfully) NO one uses that word anymore (not even in the south), I'm sure it was an honest spooner, not an intentional slur. Sad the guy lost his job over that.

That said, that's my hometown and they are so PC ridiculously uppity there, they actually made the County remove a panel from the historic 1906 Carousel that depicted a black child in braids for being "offensive"! Let's try to eradicate/change/deny HISTORY while we're at it.

...movies aren't far behind...

56 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

REALLY?

(Thankfully) NO one uses that word anymore (not even in the south)

I do.

At least, my brain does.

I live in Canada, though. That's the north, ay.

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

REALLY?

(Thankfully) NO one uses that word anymore (not even in the south), I'm sure it was an honest spooner, not an intentional slur. Sad the guy lost his job over that.

That said, that's my hometown and they are so PC ridiculously uppity there, they actually made the County remove a panel from the historic 1906 Carousel that depicted a black child in braids for being "offensive"! Let's try to eradicate/change/deny HISTORY while we're at it.

...movies aren't far behind...

If anyone wants to make a movie popular, just state why it should be banned or edited.

slide9a.jpg