Sign in to follow this  
JeanneCrain

The owner of secureshop.tcm.com has configured their website improperly

11 posts in this topic

Word search…classic – result, Conversations with Robert Osborne…click on MORE>

Your connection is not secure

The owner of secureshop.tcm.com has configured their website improperly. :blink:To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Learn more…

Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites

Could be a redirect to a different website.  Not going to where it is supposed to go.  Link says it is secure, redirect is insecure.  Even if it eventually makes it there.

I wouldn't know.

Overall it is a good thing that Firefox is halting this.  This is a problem with the website.  Even if it isn't compromised, it isn't designed using best practices.

An example of this happening to me... I sometimes get this is when I take my laptop computer to a cafe with Internet access.  If I try to go to a secure webpage that is restricted by the establishment, one that the establishment blacklisted for some unknown reason (due to a misunderstanding), then I would be redirected to a page from the establishment saying "this site is blocked".  That message page from the establishment is on an insecure page.  So after I clicked on a secure link I was redirected to is an insecure web page, hence the discrepancy and Firefox gives me this "insecure site" message as a result.  Lowered security settings on Firefox or another browser might show me the establishment's "blocked access" page instead.

So something like that is happening here.  Perhaps an intermediate page or site before you finally get to the secure site.  Again, either the Shop TCM site is compromised, or else they are not following best practices.  Firefox is just doing its job.

These message boards are not secure, according to Google Chrome, which is my preferred browser. I still come here anyway.

13 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

These message boards are not secure, according to Google Chrome, which is my preferred browser. I still come here anyway.

That's a different thing.  You should be okay.  ;)

• Thanks 1

This is totally unacceptable! I demand satisfaction! I insist my complaint be treated with the respect it deserves!

eh well ...no, nevermind. I feel better now. As you were.

• Haha 1

I apologize if I'm being redundant, but I think what is happening is that the first search is being done generically (through Google most likely) and is returning an old link that is no longer supported and is therefore 'insecure'.  (I think TCM is now using "https://shop.tcm.com/" links instead of "secureshop".)  As some confirmation, when I go to the TCM Shop, I don't see the 'Conversations with Robert Osborne' DVD listed there.  (I'm guessing this is what you are interested in.)  The DVD is, however, listed for sale on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/TCM-Originals-Conversations-Robert-Osborne/dp/B071XPFT9J

There's also currently a less-expensive used version at

https://www.amazon.com/Conversations-Robert-Osborne-TCM-Originals/dp/B00JKR0SD8

I hope TCM does not mind me showing these links here.  As has been stated above, you should be OK if you go to the TCM Shop first and then start searching there within the shop.

10 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

I apologize if I'm being redundant, but I think what is happening is that the first search is being done generically (through Google most likely) and is returning an old link that is no longer supported and is therefore 'insecure'.  (I think TCM is now using "https://shop.tcm.com/" links instead of "secureshop".)  As some confirmation, when I go to the TCM Shop, I don't see the 'Conversations with Robert Osborne' DVD listed there.  (I'm guessing this is what you are interested in.)  The DVD is, however, listed for sale on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/TCM-Originals-Conversations-Robert-Osborne/dp/B071XPFT9J

There's also currently a less-expensive used version at

https://www.amazon.com/Conversations-Robert-Osborne-TCM-Originals/dp/B00JKR0SD8

I hope TCM does not mind me showing these links here.  As has been stated above, you should be OK if you go to the TCM Shop first and then start searching there within the shop.

That makes sense, I just haven't seen it for myself.

If that were the case, TCM's server might just be redirecting to an unsecured TCM home page, or a general unsecured TCM error page (404 error).  In that scenario, the server rules could be modified to take the request (link clicked on), and conditionally return a secure error page for when anyone clicks on a secure link, so as to not not throw a browser error.  Or not...

FWIW, probably not much. ;)

Using Safari browser…

Word search…classic – result, Conversations with Robert Osborne…click on MORE>

This Connection is Not Private

This website may be impersonating “secureshop.tcm.com” to steal your personal or financial information. You should go back to the previous page.

Safari warns you when a website has a certificate that is not valid. This may happen if the website is misconfigured or an attacker has compromised your connection.

“shop.tcm.com” certificate name does not match input.

??? :blink:

jeannecrain -

If you are using a Mac or iPhone with Safari browser, I assume you are typing some text into the search box to start with - what text are you searching for?  If I type in "Conversations with Robert Osborne", the Google search engine takes over and returns many different links with related results.  If this happens for you, what link are you going to next to continue?  I don't see any direct links to the TCM shop when I do this.

A little more information on the steps you are using might help to determine what is happening.

24 minutes ago, BillyBobJoeJim said:

I typed "secureshop.tcm.com" into my Google Chrome browser. It redirected to the current "shop.tcm.com." Don't understand what you are actually searching for Jeanne.

Okay now go a little bit further and find an actual TCM Store product on "secureshop.tcm.com" using Google.  The home page redirect is a more obvious thing for them to fix, which it sounds like they did.

I have personally seen with my own eyes people who think the search engine "is" the Internet, and it doesn't occur to them that they can navigate using official website links.  Or they think if the search engine doesn't know about it, or they haven't found it that way, it must not be on the Internet.

• Haha 1

For unknown reasons, two different updated browsers (Firefox v64 & Safari v12.0.2) have indicated security/privacy issues associated with TCM links apparently related to shopping at TCM…which has not only prevented my security/privacy from being breached but also my purse. 💋