Sign in to follow this  
rover27

Who's the new female host on TCM?

76 posts in this topic

Well said here, speedy! Well said.

(...but now like I was kind'a sayin' earlier, IF they could just get Ben to pronounce the word "actor" a little less like "ACK-tor" I'd be an even happier and satisfied TCM viewer!)

LOL

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

^^^ that was a John Ford pronunciation he used to insult players like Wayne in order to get them fired up

So then you're sayin' if Ben would start sportin' an eye patch this would somehow be okay?

(...hmmmm...could work I suppose)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I like having the hosts.  It's not like they introduce every single movie that airs.  The hosts introduce movies on the weekends and during Primetime.  During the rest of the day, one movie follows the other, with perhaps a short or a TCM-original filler segment in between.  I love the TCM Late Night introduction and music for the movies that air after Primetime (starting 11PM PST? I think?).  However, I like Mankiewicz, Malone, Karger and Muller.    

I like the music for the intros too but the one I really, really wish they brought back is the old Silent Sunday Night intro.

The new one sounds like some Sigur Ros instrumental which is okay but it doesn't get you in the silent film mood like this intro + tango did.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I like the music for the intros too but the one I really, really wish they brought back is the old Silent Sunday Night intro.

The new one sounds like some Sigur Ros instrumental which is okay but it doesn't get you in the silent film good like this intro + tango did.

I notice that TCM has really been playing the TCM Import promo a lot.  Either they're trying to increase viewership, new promo? I'm not sure.  The collection of images they compiled together are very interesting.

Whichever TCM team is responsible for the monthly montage of highlights, the tcm remembers videos, and all the other original videos they create, do a great job.  While I may not always be a fan of the music chosen, I always find the arrangement of the movie clips and images and the way in which they're presented to be very entertaining.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

You wrote you've been watching TCM for 6 years and you wrote that almost all of the films are new to you and  you just said they are repeated so how could they be new to you ? Your comment is very confusing. You really do love to complain about the hosts, the movie repeats and about the station and you've already stated before that you're not into classic movies, but you are into music and tv. why not join a tv site like ME-TV instead of this one? After awhile, complaints get to be a bore.

Thank you, lavenderblue. I've been wanting to say that to Mr. 10 UserNames for weeks now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 1/9/2019 at 9:29 PM, BillyBobJoeJim said:

I think all the hosts are a little phony while working alone and reading a script. If we must have hosts, it would be nice if they felt more realistic. Once again, I am not excited over any host on TCM. Do we really need them? AT&T, TCM's parent company, just may cut out what isn't necessary. They just gave up AT&T park's name, the home of the San Francisco Giants, to Oracle. Rumor has it they continue to spend, even though they have $19 Billion dollars in debt. Be prepared for anything.

AT&T? :huh: I don't get the relevance. 

On 1/9/2019 at 12:32 PM, Dargo said:

LOL

No, probably not, but he'd sure fit right in with the rest of the Farkel Family here...

Franny was my favorite Farkel, not that anyone cares I'm so sure.

2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Thank you, lavenderblue. I've been wanting to say that to Mr. 10 UserNames for weeks now.

You're stealing that last sentence from My Man Godfrey,  and I'm loving it.    

2 hours ago, BillyBobJoeJim said:

Tough crowd here. So, some people just don't like me period. It isn't like I stand alone when it comes to complaints. I do enjoy classic movies and do watch TCM. Plenty of people ignore my posts until I do something they don't like. I will stay here until I get booted out. If I want to change my display name I will....

I don't necessarily want you to "get booted out", I just want you to contribute more interesting, more film-related  comments here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I don't necessarily want you to "get booted out", I just want you to contribute more interesting, more film-related  comments here.

Wait...our comments are supposed to be interesting? Uh oh...:unsure:

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, BillyBobJoeJim said:

I'm not seeing the humour.

At the start of the film,  Powell is a part of the scavenger hunt as a forgotten-man.    Propped up like all the other 'useless' items he tells the crowd of rich folks what he thinks about them and their charity event.    We can hear a background comment of 'I've been waiting to say that all night'.

• Thanks 1

If you would stop changing your moniker ( NAME) the photo doesn't matter but you constantly changing your screen name is off-putting to most. There is no continuity so most feel they can't get to know you as part of this community so you can't be part "of the gang". You may not have had 10 names ( as far as we know) but you've had at least 5 so far. Hard to trust someone's motives when they change their identity constantly. As far as complaints go, we've heard them all by now so it is a bore. If you really want to be part of this community, stick to one name, watch some movies and comment on them, good or bad, instead of complaining about hosts,etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

No one is telling you what to do, You do what you want, but then don't wonder why you get the reactions to your posts that you do. I'm telling you what most here find disturbing about your name changes and complaints.You obviously have no interest in classic films, no interest in this community and joining in on the threads dealing with films. Maybe lose the attitude about the hosts and listen to their intros and outros, you might learn something about the films shown. btw, since many here have agreed with my post to you, you might think it over.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

No one is telling you what to do, You do what you want, but then don't wonder why you get the reactions to your posts that you do. I'm telling you what most here find disturbing about your name changes and complaints.You obviously have no interest in classic films, no interest in this community and joining in on the threads dealing with films. Maybe lose the attitude about the hosts and listen to their intros and outros, you might learn something about the films shown. btw, since many here have agreed with my post to you, you might think it over.

Wow, talk about being presumptuous.     First how do you know what 'most here find disturbing'? 

Also,  I have know this user for a long time (e.g. on the other\old forum that TCM used to host) and while their knowledge of studio-era movies is 'light' their interest isn't.

8 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Also,  I have know this user for a long time (e.g. on the other\old forum that TCM used to host) and while their knowledge of studio-era movies is 'light' their interest isn't.

Are you saying the current BillyBobJoeJim has been around for a long time? I thought he'd said that he just created his first account last year?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Are you saying the current BillyBobJoeJim has been around for a long time? I thought he'd said that he just created his first account last year?

This is my understanding,  but of course I could be wrong.  

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Wow, talk about being presumptuous.     First how do you know what 'most here find disturbing'? 

I did not find lavender's comments "presumptuous" whatsoever.  In fact, she was simply giving a little feedback to BillyBobThingy as what a typical poster here appreciates in other posters, and what they don't.

Also...shirley if one's interest in something (for instance, movies) is strong, it would naturally follow that after a while (certainly after a year?) their knowledge would increase.  Anyway, I don't care if anybody knows little about movies, it's more that I don't understand why they'd want to keep posting about them if they have don't have much to say about them.

But of course, BillyBobthingy has every right to post whatever he wants. Nobody's telling him what to do, we're just suggesting. "Telling" and "suggesting" are two different things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

In another thread, he said he can't physically watch movies so he can only watch TV shows. :unsure:

"Sitting on my backside for a full movie is a no-no from my chiropractor. In 2015, I had done it for so long, X-rays looked like my bottom two discs had been fused. I used a walker for a month and slept in a recliner for two months. In other words, TV shows versus movies, especially with commercial breaks, is just what the doctor ordered."

Also changing your name all the time seems like something a troll would do. Now I don't think he has any bad intent but it is rather suspicious. :unsure: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On January 9, 2019 at 9:26 PM, Dargo said:

Nah, I doubt that's the case here, slayton.

Nope, I don't recall you EVER saying "Sock it to me" on these boards.

(...but then again, isn't it you who keeps saying "Verrry interrresting" around here, or is that somebody else?)

;)

Hello, Dargo.  Just popped back into this space-time continuum.  So good to read your reassuring words.  Now I feel better.  Hoping not to be too blunt, judging from this thread, I'd not be channeling dear Mr. Artie.  So to pass the time enjoyably until something better comes along, you can't beat the great Cannonball:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

In another thread, he said he can't physically watch movies so he can only watch TV shows. :unsure:

"Sitting on my backside for a full movie is a no-no from my chiropractor. In 2015, I had done it for so long, X-rays looked like my bottom two discs had been fused. I used a walker for a month and slept in a recliner for two months. In other words, TV shows versus movies, especially with commercial breaks, is just what the doctor ordered."

Also changing your name all the time seems like something a troll would do. Now I don't think he has any bad intent but it is rather suspicious. :unsure: 

Also changing your name all the time seems like something a troll would do. Only excuse for it.

• Thanks 4

30 minutes ago, BillyBobJoeJim said:

Sure! I'm tired of being in the hot seat. Now someone is quoting about my backside. Sheesh!

The point is you outright said you dislike/ don't care about movies and this is a movie discussion website! You don't see anything wrong with that. Also at this point it really does seem like you are just trying to troll and rile people up (especially in the noir thread). I don't want to think you have an ulterior motive but it really is looking that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, BillyBobJoeJim said:

I never said I dislike movies. This is a TCM forum, about all things TCM. Don't see how my comments in the Noir section are so disruptive, AND I did apologize. I apologized for my behavior to you personally once, but the thread was likely removed before you saw the post. I suspect many have already made up their mind to force me out, by insulting my character. At this point I am furious with the name calling and incorrect information about me. If I do leave again, it will be for good. Is that what you really want to be responsible for? 

I don't think anyone here wants you to leave. They just want you to "get along" better with everyone and not troll/ use multiple names. We already have another poster who uses multiple names (accounts).

• Like 3