Sign in to follow this  
rover27

Who's the new female host on TCM?

76 posts in this topic

I'm talking about the one with the Australian accent. I know they previously had a female host with an Australian accent, but who is the new host? I've just noticed her lately. And what happened to the other one?

The host with the Australian accent is Alicia Malone. She’s been on TCM for about a year now. She has red hair. Is this who you’re asking about? 

To me, it looks liked two different people. The one from a few months ago and the one from the past week or so. They look like two different people. If they're the same person all I have to say is, "what a makeover". They do sound the same though. I think one had red hair and the other was a brunette. If they're the same, I'd like to see Ben M do a makeover like that to the point he looks like a totally different person.

It's funny, I lived in Australia and never heard that accent. Everyone spoke in seemingly "regular" British accent. It must be more northerly than where I was, in Melbourne.

Everyone loved MY accent though. I was often compared to familiar (to them) southern accents more than the New York/MidAtlantic accent that I actually have. (we say fie-yer instead of fier)🔥

5 hours ago, rover27 said:

To me, it looks liked two different people. The one from a few months ago and the one from the past week or so. They look like two different people. If they're the same person all I have to say is, "what a makeover". They do sound the same though. I think one had red hair and the other was a brunette. If they're the same, I'd like to see Ben M do a makeover like that to the point he looks like a totally different person.

Tiffany Vasquez was on TCM prior to Alicia Malone.  She had brown hair, but did not have an Australian accent.  Is this who you're referring to? I was confused by your statement, "I'm talking about the one with the Australian accent. I know they previously had a female host with an Australian accent, but who is the new host?"

5 hours ago, slaytonf said:

I don't think he'd look good with red hair.

LOL

No, probably not, but he'd sure fit right in with the rest of the Farkel Family here...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, rover27 said:

I'm talking about the one with the Australian accent. I know they previously had a female host with an Australian accent, but who is the new host? I've just noticed her lately. And what happened to the other one?

It's the same person. Do you think all Australians look alike?

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

It's funny, I lived in Australia and never heard that accent. Everyone spoke in seemingly "regular" British accent. It must be more northerly than where I was, in Melbourne.

Everyone loved MY accent though. I was often compared to familiar (to them) southern accents more than the New York/MidAtlantic accent that I actually have. (we say fie-yer instead of fier)🔥

Really, Tiki?  I think Australian accents are quite different from British ones. There's a "twang" to them. But then, I haven't actually been to Australia (would love to go sometime...)

From what you say, I gather there are a number of different Australian accents, depending on the region. Which makes sense. Just as there are a lot of different English accents and for that matter, American accents, again, varying according to region.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Really, Tiki?  I think Australian accents are quite different from British ones. There's a "twang" to them. But then, I haven't actually been to Australia (would love to go sometime...)

From what you say, I gather there are a number of different Australian accents, depending on the region. Which makes sense. Just as there are a lot of different English accents and for that matter, American accents, again, varying according to region.

True, and yet ironically with NONE of those sporting a variation on the British accent OR an American accent ever pronouncing the letter 'u' that the Brits and their Commonwealth brethren still needlessly insert into various words while spelling said words in our shared language.

(...and by now I assume everyone here knows EXACTLY which 'u' I'm talking about here, don't ya!) ;)

LOL

38 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

It's the same person. Do you think all Australians look alike?

Yes,  it is the same person but I did notice that Alicia Malone's overall look had changed over the last month or so.   

While I always found her pleasing on the eyes,  to me there has been a change.    Maybe it is just the lighting.

6 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Like The Favourite?

Yep, EXACTLY, Hibi!

I know, I know. That Dargo never misses an opportunity to kid the Brits and their Commonwealth cohorts about that oh so superfluous-u, huh. ;)

Oh, and btw, in this thread I DID have a choice to make about who I was going to kid this time.

Uh-huh, ya see, after rover27 said in his second posting he'd like to see Ben get a makeover too, I came THIS close to instead going in my usual "superfluous-u" route to saying something like "Nah, Ben doesn't need any sort'a 'appearance makeover', he looks good enough, but I've always thought he could easily benefit from a little visit to a good Ears, Nose and Throat doctor to see if there was anything they could do about that unfortunate nasally voice of his".

(...but as you can see, I went with that whole 'superfluous-u' thing again instead...well, until now anyway I suppose)

OH, and regarding the luscious looking Alicia...

Yeah, I too noticed her looking exceptionally fetching last night.

(...but once again and regardless her sexy little Aussie accent, I think she talks quite a bit through her nose too, and maybe even more than Ben does)

22 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Dargo, you certainly have an eye for a pretty ankle....y'ole reprobate! :)

Yep Sarge, I once figured it was just about the time I turned 45 when I went from being a dirty young man to a dirty old man.

Give or take a few years, of course.

(...as this sort'a thing never being an 'exact science', you understand)

• Haha 2

The only real difference I've noticed with Alicia is that she's wearing her hair straight, not wavy.  Sometimes straightening the hair, when it's normally curly/wavy can give the wearer an entirely different look.  Perhaps this is the reason she looks so different?

For the record, I like Alicia.  I did some research on her background and she is very well qualified to present films on TCM. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

LOL

No, probably not, but he'd sure fit right in with the rest of the Farkel Family here...

Wasn't there a Ferd Burfel?

45 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Wasn't there a Ferd Burfel?

Yep, that was the nextdoor neighbor with the red hair that Dick Martin played in those sketches, and with the basic joke in them being that he had to be the real father to all those Farkel kids.

(...btw, my favorite name for the kids, twins in this case, was always..."Simon and Gar Farkel")

How did I remember that?  A scary thought just occurred to me.  Could it be my whole life has been controlled by elements I have internalized from Laugh-In?  Noo, noooo. . . . . .

13 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

How did I remember that?  A scary thought just occurred to me.  Could it be my whole life has been controlled by elements I have internalized from Laugh-In?  Noo, noooo. . . . . .

Nah, I doubt that's the case here, slayton.

Nope, I don't recall you EVER saying "Sock it to me" on these boards.

(...but then again, isn't it you who keeps saying "Verrry interrresting" around here, or is that somebody else?)

;)

9 hours ago, BillyBobJoeJim said:

Once again, I am not excited over any host on TCM. Do we really need them?

No, but it's a really nice little "extra" thing TCM can do. The other "extras" like the vintage trailers, WORD OF MOUTH segments, or the interviews with classic stars all spark interest in the old movies the channel shows.

To someone just discovering that old B&W movies are actually worthwhile, the "education" and fleshing out of the history is an added bonus. Sure beats commercials!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BillyBobJoeJim said:

The 'new girl' spends an equal amount of time giving opinion. She once called Andy Griffith movies 'dark.' She did not name any movie specifically, but it was after showing "A Face In The Crowd" a while back. She did not mention some of his best work was on TV, including 9 seasons as Ben Matlock. Once in a very blue moon, I learn something from Ben. I am guessing it is costly to have hosts. I don't see the value versus just playing the movies and using that extra money on more movie rights. I am new to almost all of these movies, but after a half dozen years of TCM, the repeat factor is annoying.

You wrote you've been watching TCM for 6 years and you wrote that almost all of the films are new to you and  you just said they are repeated so how could they be new to you ? Your comment is very confusing. You really do love to complain about the hosts, the movie repeats and about the station and you've already stated before that you're not into classic movies, but you are into music and tv. why not join a tv site like ME-TV instead of this one? After awhile, complaints get to be a bore.

• Like 7

I like having the hosts.  It's not like they introduce every single movie that airs.  The hosts introduce movies on the weekends and during Primetime.  During the rest of the day, one movie follows the other, with perhaps a short or a TCM-original filler segment in between.  I love the TCM Late Night introduction and music for the movies that air after Primetime (starting 11PM PST? I think?).  However, I like Mankiewicz, Malone, Karger and Muller.  Their introductions and closing comments bring a little je ne sais quoi that is lacking in other channels.  It's nice to have the films introduced.  No, I don't learn something "new" with each and every introduction, but I'm not demanding that either.  With how old some of these films are and how long some have been available to the public, after awhile, there is only so much information available.  I don't know how much more trivia I can learn about Singin' in the Rain or Casablanca (for example), but I like the presentations.  It makes it a little special. 

Muller's Noir Alley presentations are a series.  Since many of the films in that series are not as well known, or perhaps have been absent from the public's conscious for awhile, maybe they've never been available on home video, there is a lot more to learn about these films.  

Any channel can just air one thing after another with small breaks in between.  Imo, TCM is a little special for having the intros/closing comments, airing vintage trailers (which are so much fun), the Word of Mouth segment, TCM Extras, the shorts, and all the other extras that air regularly.    

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1