LornaHansonForbes

Anyone else get the feeling that Oscars 2019 in particular is headed for a spectacular train wreck?

368 posts in this topic

So the only thing about the Academy Awards that still manages to fascinate me is the death spiral in which they seem to be intractably locked, And this year it feels like a perfect storm of circumstances is gathering:

1. The ghost of the whole LALA LAND/MOONLIGHT debacle now occupies NICHOLSONS front row center seat. I said at the time it happened that we would just have to sit back and gauge Whether it meant a good or a bad thing for the image of the awards, two years later my opinion is it’s been a bad thing.

2 no one wants to host

3 Some of us haven’t forgotten how incredibly stupid “the best popular picture Oscar” idea was, Even if they did wise up and drop the notion.

4 I think a lot of their questionable decisions are starting to catch up with them, there’s only so many times you can P on someone’s leg and tell them it’s raining, and this year there seem to be a pair of movies- GREEN BOOK and BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY That are plagued by a myriad of controversy use, some related to the behind the scenes players and some related to the fact that, once again, a film about marginalized groups of people that were produced and directed by people who are not members of said marginalized society is a lock to be recognized 

5 they’re always wrong 

6 The Ghost of Harvey Weinstein is Meryl’s +1

7 I can’t help but get the sense that GAGA is not going to be nominated, in which case we will see an uprising that will make the protests around CHER’s non-nomination for MASK seem like the turn out for a women’s march in Riyadh

8 Society in general is collapsing and awards are bull****

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...Oh, and also: cinema is dead And so is the moviegoing experience as most of us grew up knowing it.

There are now 1500 different sources of entertainment and none of us is watching the same thing.

Trying to build a consensus on what among all these titles is the best just seems especially pointless, especially since it’s never really been about what was genuinely the best but started out as a means of self promotion and advertising and ended up in the 1990s turning into a power jockeying, Johnson measuring contest amongst Hollywood players.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the words the autocensor won't let you say around here, I'm stunned to read your post above and see a word that it will let you say.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Given the words the autocensor won't let you say around here, I'm stunned to read your post above and see a word that it will let you say.

Amended. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think times have changed where people just don't have the patience to sit through a ceremony of that length anymore. Three or four hours is just too long. I don't have the data in front of me, but I think viewership numbers have been steadily dipping. It takes James Cameron or a superhero movie to bolster ratings. I think the highest-rated ceremonies of the last 25 years have been the ones when Titanic and Avatar were up for a bunch of Oscars or that year Heath Ledger won posthumously for playing the Joker. That's why they wanted to create a Best Popular Picture category, or whatever they were going to call that.  They're gonna try to make it shorter this year by giving out some of the awards most people say they don't care about during the commercial breaks and just announce them later in the show after those acceptance speeches have already been given. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to watch the Oscars, Emmys, Globes, etc. every year because I like film and television and I liked to see what stars were horribly dressed by their stylists.  But everything has become so politicized.  Everyone is trying to be *that* person who says something profound or thought provoking on the podium.  Everyone has to get up on their soapbox and blather on about something not related to the film which brought them the Oscar. The best speeches are the spontaneous, off the cuff, non-rehearsed ones.

A clever host cannot be found anymore--thus we end up with these lame stunts, like distributing food to everyone in the audience or taking selfies or what not.  Everyone uses crass humor and cringe-inducing "jokes."  The banter is lame. 

The Honorary Oscars being shuffled off to a separate non-televised ceremony is a huge bummer. 

The Oscars just aren't fun anymore.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I used to watch the Oscars, Emmys, Globes, etc. every year because I like film and television and I liked to see what stars were horribly dressed by their stylists.  But everything has become so politicized.  Everyone is trying to be *that* person who says something profound or thought provoking on the podium.  Everyone has to get up on their soapbox and blather on about something not related to the film which brought them the Oscar. The best speeches are the spontaneous, off the cuff, non-rehearsed ones.

A clever host cannot be found anymore--thus we end up with these lame stunts, like distributing food to everyone in the audience or taking selfies or what not.  Everyone uses crass humor and cringe-inducing "jokes."  The banter is lame. 

The Honorary Oscars being shuffled off to a separate non-televised ceremony is a huge bummer. 

The Oscars just aren't fun anymore.

even things peripheral to the awards are no fun, like the fashion. everyone is professionally styled and made-up to the nth degree and there's only so many variations one can have on a strapless column/ ballgown. at-home, personally designed fashion travesties have largely become a thing of the past, and they used to be such fun!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When is the ceremony? Has it been moved back to March again? We are surely no more than eight or ten weeks out, and no replacement host has been announced?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone even care anymore? (outside of Hollywood) I havent watched a broadcast in years now. I record it, but when I find out the winners, I just erase it. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I think times have changed where people just don't have the patience to sit through a ceremony of that length anymore. Three or four hours is just too long. I don't have the data in front of me, but I think viewership numbers have been steadily dipping. It takes James Cameron or a superhero movie to bolster ratings. I think the highest-rated ceremonies of the last 25 years have been the ones when Titanic and Avatar were up for a bunch of Oscars or that year Heath Ledger won posthumously for playing the Joker. That's why they wanted to create a Best Popular Picture category, or whatever they were going to call that.  They're gonna try to make it shorter this year by giving out some of the awards most people say they don't care about during the commercial breaks and just announce them later in the show after those acceptance speeches have already been given. 

EVERYONE deserves to have their award televised. Cut out the lame production numbers and stunts and there'd be enough time. Just give out the awards, PERIOD!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

3 Some of us haven’t forgotten how incredibly stupid “the best popular picture Oscar” idea was, Even if they did wise up and drop the notion.

At least it got them over the stigma about saying they liked Black Panther.  See, that wasn't so painful, was it?

(In the old days, we would think nothing of nominating "Star Wars", "Field of Dreams" or "Towering Inferno", if we happened to like them.  Whose danged awards ARE these anyway, and yes, we're looking at you, Golden Globes?)

Quote

6 The Ghost of Harvey Weinstein is Meryl’s +1

It also means we won't have as many mainstream arthouse-indie films pushed down the committee's throat, which is how all the messy trouble started to begin with.  This is our first or second completely Weinstein-free Oscars, and commercial mainstream films are just beginning to awaken from their fourteen-year slumber.

Quote

7 I can’t help but get the sense that GAGA is not going to be nominated, in which case we will see an uprising that will make the protests around CHER’s non-nomination for MASK seem like the turn out for a women’s march in Riyadh

Oscar-watchers refer to it as "This year's Lego Movie":  The rampantly viral idea that a movie was CRUELLY SNUBBED! if it didn't happen to make the cut on quality despite the devoted love of a niche-fanboy audience.  One year, that was "Creed", which gave us #OscarsSoWhite, and the next year it was "Wonder Woman", which gave us "Overlooked women in Hollywood".

Quote

1. The ghost of the whole LALA LAND/MOONLIGHT debacle now occupies NICHOLSONS front row center seat. I said at the time it happened that we would just have to sit back and gauge Whether it meant a good or a bad thing for the image of the awards, two years later my opinion is it’s been a bad thing.

5 they’re always wrong

Well, that at least is true:  Ever since they switched to "Ranked voting" (ironically, to try and bring in more commercial films after Wall-E and Dark Knight became "the first Lego Movies"), literally the wrong Pictures have been winning:

The new voting system asks for listed favorites, with more points given to the #1 pick, and less to the #2 pick, etc.  And while there'll be a split vote over whether Black Panther or A Star is Born should be "the" #1 pick, there's usually a consensus that the impressive but artsy Roma should clearly be given its due as the Second-Best Film of the Year, for the #2 slot.  As a result, guess which film gets twice as many votes as the first two.

In the old five-nomination days, the main one-on-one battle was always between the Populist Commercial-Sweep Hit vs. the Impressive Downbeat Critical Darling, and you knew which one would send the others home--And those of us in our betting pools would chortle up our sleeves at naive friends and co-workers who would say "But 'The Killing Fields' was more emotionally powerful than 'Amadeus'!", or "The Academy hates fantasy!  They're not going to turn down Clint Eastwood and Sean Penn, just to give it to an 'elf movie'!"  Nowadays, though, they've screwed up the works and all bets are off...Now is your chance, T'challa, the Oscars need a HERO!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fairly easy solution to this would be for them to bring back THIS guy again to host it...

?w=800&i=1330308412664.jpg&crop=yes

Sure, he may not be all that 'young and hip' anymore, but after watching him recently as a guest on the Colbert show, the guy is still a long way from becoming 'the Bob Hope years after his prime' sort.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Fairly easy solution to this would be for them to bring back THIS guy again to host it...

?w=800&i=1330308412664.jpg&crop=yes

Sure, he may not be all that 'young and hip' anymore, but after watching him recently as a guest on the Colbert show, the guy is still a long way from becoming 'the Bob Hope years after his prime' sort.

 

As good as Billy Crystal is an Oscar host, I was thinking even older. Get old friends Carol Burnett and Julie Andrews to co-host! It would bring class, quality, and wit to the ceremony.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

When is the ceremony? Has it been moved back to March again? We are surely no more than eight or ten weeks out, and no replacement host has been announced?

Feb. 24.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the L.A. Times the main issue for the 2019 Oscars is again the issue of diversity.   The Times has been running about an article a week about this and now that the Golden Globe has done-right in this area (according to the Times and many activist),   they are waiting to see if the Oscars follow suit.

Of course getting a host is an issue,  especially if they don't get the 'right one' to appease the Times and the activist.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sewhite2000 said:

This just reported by Variety 12 minutes ago. Academy to go with no host at all, replaced by star-laden sketches and more music. Oh my God, not more music. This isn't the Tonys! This not confirmed by any other source yet.

https://news.avclub.com/the-academy-has-finally-realized-that-it-should-just-do-1831616642

Just remember, the last time they went without a host was the 1989 telecast..... and that telecast was certainly ....unforgettable..... for those that did see it.

https://www.lamag.com/longform/snow-job/

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

This just reported by Variety 12 minutes ago. Academy to go with no host at all, replaced by star-laden sketches and more music. Oh my God, not more music. This isn't the Tonys!

#OscarsSo(RobLowe&Snow)White  😱 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

They're gonna try to make it shorter this year by giving out some of the awards most people say they don't care about during the commercial breaks and just announce them later in the show after those acceptance speeches have already been given. 

I hope they do this with the Short Subjects awards, nobody ever sees the films and the speeches are the worst.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

This just reported by Variety 12 minutes ago. Academy to go with no host at all, replaced by star-laden sketches and more music. Oh my God, not more music. This isn't the Tonys! This not confirmed by any other source yet.

https://news.avclub.com/the-academy-has-finally-realized-that-it-should-just-do-1831616642

CH-IST! Get ready for a 4 hr plus ceremony. Count me OUT!!!!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will Rob and Snow finally get their moment of vindication after 30 years next month? If it goes over the top because of the lack of a host , it might just happen. And if it does, we might as well say that Warren and Faye will get vindicated too......

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Just remember, the last time they went without a host was the 1989 telecast..... and that telecast was certainly ....unforgettable..... for those that did see it.

https://www.lamag.com/longform/snow-job/

LMREO! Who could forget that one. (I was still watching back then).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us