LornaHansonForbes

Anyone else get the feeling that Oscars 2019 in particular is headed for a spectacular train wreck?

368 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I always watch every...stinking...second of it.

HIpljJE.gif?noredirect

ENJOY! I used to. I stopped and started recording around 20 yrs ago........

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

However I will now: When I lived in Los Angeles I dated a very close friend of Singers For a while and I met him several times, maybe 8 to 10 times I don’t know. He was always very nice and very quiet and the boyfriend he had with him every single time was always somebody who was at least in his early 20s.

But every time I hear about him being some kind of drugged out whack job Caligula, I just remember the odd nerd who didn’t speak much That I knew back in 2003.

Just watch "X-Men 2", and you'll see the whack-job Caligula rise to the surface again--
They always go nutty when they're handed the big-budget sequels and think they have their own private sandbox to play in, and Singer's sandcastles in Marvel's box were a bit.....revealing.  (Including the now-infamous line of dialogue that was supposed to make fun of straight people, but has now been adopted by straight people to express their complaints.)

In fact, most of the "Nutty" accusations started after that one, or at least they suddenly became a lot publicly trendier.

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I always watch every...stinking...second of it.

Call yourself no film fan if you don't.  B)

It's not the commercial tourism-plugs of the Tonys, it's not the celeb-smooching of the Golden Globes, and it's not a variety special--It's your office's "Employee of the Year" banquet, where everyone sits around the catered tables in the Mariott ballroom until the boss gets up and makes amateur speeches, and then Bob from VP Sales gets an award, except this one is for Hollywood employees.  Who make a more interesting product.

One director on an Oscar documentary summed it up:  "On Monday morning, you'll be back at 7am in Stage 3, spending 12 hours setting up pickup reshoots, and think 'This is what we do for a living'...But for one night, you get to think you're Cecil B. DeMille in Tinseltown, and remember why you're in this crazy business in the first place."

oh sigh.

two weeks of scrolling through ninety titles a time on Hulu and ain't a damn one I particularly wanna see.

(full disclosure: I did want to see THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY, but it's not available.)

God I HATE OSCAR MONTH.

• Like 2

ps- yes, I know that in Late February of EVERY YEAR, I snap and turn into this gal:

PossibleSaltyDingo-size_restricted.gif

but, I'm trying to at least keep it contained to threads I start.

Just let it slide down the board in surly anonymity if you like.

• Haha 1

Lorna highly recommending something called "The Hater's Guide"? That doesn't sound right.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

oh sigh.

two weeks of scrolling through ninety titles a time on Hulu and ain't a damn one I particularly wanna see.

(full disclosure: I did want to see THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY, but it's not available.)

God I HATE OSCAR MONTH.

You and me both! But just one more week left! :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I just read it, and it is funny, even if it has a bit too much scorched-earth vitriol. Although it is the Hater's Guide, so I guess that's to be expected. 

It’s from a guy who writes for deadspin.com Which is the sports website that even I read from time to time

He wrote a book called THE POSTMORTAL About what happens when people develop a cure for aging and death and the consequences the world have to deal with afterwards. I don’t read much modern literature a bear read it and I liked it a lot. He is also somewhat famous for his “haters guide to the Williams-Sonoma catalog “ every Christmas, which he missed this year because of some sort of mystery element that laid him very low for months and months.

The Onion’s Guide To The Oscars

"This year's crop of Oscars nominees represent the singular power of cinema to transport viewers into worlds as far-flung as fantasy African kingdoms and British palaces, demonstrating the magical ability of movies to distract viewers from their inexorable march towards the grave. Before you enjoy the glitz and glamor of Hollywood's most important night, join America's Finest News Sources to survey the artists behind these fitful diversions from human frailty and bodily collapse.......

https://www.theonion.com/s/oscars-2019?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SF&utm_content=Main&utm_medium=SocialMarketing

;)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

oh sigh.

God I HATE OSCAR MONTH.

I don't know if I hate Oscar month, but even I haven't found much to watch... and I feel like I've seen barely anything.  I discovered that Walk on the Wild Side with Capucine, Jane Fonda, Anne Baxter and Barbara Stanywck is on Amazon Prime.  I've been wanting to see this film forever because I'm intrigued by the cast... so I'm looking forward to watching this one. 

The problem with Oscar month is that there is a finite pool of films to pull from.  Each year, there will be a few more films, but there will never be more classics that can be added to Oscar month's offerings.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I discovered that Walk on the Wild Side with Capucine, Jane Fonda, Anne Baxter and Barbara Stanywck is on Amazon Prime.  

That's good you brought that up, because a major thrill this month was finding that Amazon suddenly had an influx of offbeat Columbia pictures titles including big stars ranging from the 30s through the 90s on their prime platform. I already tackled Bonjour Tristisse ('58) and Zelly and Me ('88), and also have my eyes on Five Finger Exercise('62), Happy New Year ('87), The Pumpkin Eater('64), No More Orchids ('33), Desert Bloom ('86), Platinum Blonde ('31), The Loves of Carmen('48), Down to Earth ('47), Ladies of Leisure ('31), Forbidden ('32), Nickelodeon ('76), Lost Horizon ('73), Song Without End ('60), Over 21 ('45), Lilith ('64), The Story of Esther Costello ('57), and It's My Turn ('80) to name a few.

• Like 3

...you know, I almost feel at this point that the worst thing that could happen would be for nothing to go wrong and there to be a routine, three-hour show capped off by GREEN BOOK winning Best Picture.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

...you know, I almost feel at this point that the worst thing that could happen would be for nothing to go wrong and there to be a routine, three-hour show capped off by GREEN BOOK winning Best Picture.

I've heard Queen is opening the show. Hopefully with Rob Lowe on vocals, covering "Proud Mary".

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

I've heard Queen is opening the show. Hopefully with Rob Lowe on vocals, covering "Proud Mary".

it's funny though, I was thinking how FREAKING EERIE it would be if Spike Lee loses to GREEN BOOK; 20 years later and it's almost literally DRIVING MISS FREAKIN DAISY ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!!

ALTHOUGH- Forgive me, I like DRIVING MISS DAISY.

9 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

it's funny though, I was thinking how FREAKING EERIE it would be if Spike Lee loses to GREEN BOOK; 20 years later and it's almost literally DRIVING MISS FREAKIN DAISY ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!!

ALTHOUGH- Forgive me, I like DRIVING MISS DAISY.

Yes, I read an article just last evening that discussed the strange coincidence of that scenario. It was an interesting examination of how Driving Miss Daisy has become a bit of a touchstone for racial discussions and how they are handled by Hollywood. 

I don't dislike Driving Miss Daisy, either. It's not something I'd ever list as a favorite, but I don't loathe it as so many do. Even the Oscar Best Picture winners that I've liked the least (Around the World in 80 DaysGigiThe Sound of MusicOliver!Moonlight) still have facets that I admire or at least acknowledge as having merit. Driving Miss Daisy has two exemplary lead performances and a nice attention to period detail. Although that theme music drives me up a wall, mainly because it's such an effective earworm.

• Like 1

i keep trying to put into words why i like DRIVING MISS DAISY so much and erasing it.

i really hate that the very title of the film itself has become something of a pejorative term and so much hostility is around it, because it's in no way a hateful film.

it's an honest film, and a simple film, and a (visually) beautiful film and, as a Southerner, i GOTTA SAY most (all?) of the Southerny stuff they got right.

I don't know, I can't word it exactly, but it's in no way a cruel, condescending or demeaning film...it is, in fact, a subtle and challenging film and it's up to the viewer to read between the lines, the way one has to with DOUGLAS SIRK, for example.

it's OLD SCHOOL, but it's not racist in any way.

of wait- i do have to say that ESTHER ROLLE'S role is underwritten.

the acting is also great- although i recall being iffy on DAN ACKROYD.

3 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Lorna, did you write this article under a nom de plume? It sounds just like you.

oh gosh, THANKS!

No, it was written by DREW MAGARY who writes for DEADSPIN.COM and whose style I have to be careful to not copy (we have a very similar IN BOLD ALL CAPS SORT OF WORLD VIEW)

He wrote a book called THE POSTMORTAL that I really liked a lot; he also has a series of articles about horrible programming he has to endure as the father of children that are hilarious.

recently he had some sort of heath crisis and was away for a long time with no word on his status.

16 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i keep trying to put into words why i like DRIVING MISS DAISY so much and erasing it.

i really hate that the very title of the film itself has become something of a pejorative term and so much hostility is around it, because it's in no way a hateful film.

it's an honest film, and a simple film, and a (visually) beautiful film and, as a Southerner, i GOTTA SAY most of the Southerny stuff they got right. 

I don't know, I can't word it exactly, but it's in no way a cruel, condescending or demeaning film...it is, in fact, a subtle and challenging film and it's up to the viewer to read between the lines, the way one has to with DOUGLAS SIRK, for example.

it's OLD SCHOOL, but it's not racist in any way.

of wait- i do have to say that ESTHER ROLLE'S role is underwritten.

the acting is also great- although i recall being iffy on DAN ACKROYD.

I went to go see this film in the theatre, with my mom, who died one year ago today. A couple of things I remember. Mom, 61 at the time, and raised in Tennessee, mentioned "see they (the white Southerners) treated their black servants (I think she was talking about Rolle's character, Idella) well! I mentioned didn't she think that Idella would like the opportunity to treat her own servants well? She had no answer to that.  Then mom brought up a line in the film. It was the one where Tandy's character told Hoke out of the blue that "Idella was lucky". As in lucky in not outliving her time, and just being fine one minute and dead of (probably) a stroke the next. As if Tandy's character knew she would live to be this 100 year old woman who was slowly disintegrating. And I didn't really get that then. But now, at age 61 myself, a year after my mom died at age 90 after slowly disintegrating, I completely get that. And that is what I remember about "Driving Miss Daisy".

You are right about getting the Southern stuff right. My paternal grandma taught school and was very social, and I saw lots of her in Miss Daisy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Even the Oscar Best Picture winners that I've liked the least (Around the World in 80 DaysGigiThe Sound of MusicOliver!Moonlight)

No Going My Way?

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

and it's up to the viewer to read between the lines, the way one has to with DOUGLAS SIRK, for example.

Douglas Sirk?  Subtle?  :lol:

5 minutes ago, Fedya said:

No Going My Way?

Yeah, I guess that one can be added to my least favorite Best Pictures winners, too. To be honest, I usually forget about it, which may be even more damning. Looking over the full list of winners over the years, I'm not crazy about An American in ParisTitanicThe Artist, or Birdman, either. But as I mentioned, I do recognize why others like them, and admire the technical achievements or some aspect of them all.

11 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Douglas Sirk?  Subtle?  :lol:

Yeah that’s off...I guess what I meant to say was that The viewer is left to pick up on things that are implied by the visuals and the actions of the characters, not so much the dialogue.

Truths to be extracted from what seem to be very Mundane scenes

25 minutes ago, Fedya said:

No Going My Way?

Or Broadway Melody or Cavalcade or the Great Ziegfeld. Wow, some real stinkers won in the early years.