LornaHansonForbes

Anyone else get the feeling that Oscars 2019 in particular is headed for a spectacular train wreck?

368 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Or Broadway Melody or Cavalcade or the Great Ziegfeld. Wow, some real stinkers won in the early years. 

I give The Broadway Melody a pass due to the early sound era. Cavalcade I've learned to appreciate after a few viewings. The Great Ziegfeld has a good cast, as well as some impressively mounted production numbers. None of these three would I count among my favorites, but I don't mind them, either

49 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Or Broadway Melody or Cavalcade or the Great Ziegfeld. Wow, some real stinkers won in the early years. 

don't forget CIMARRON (1931?)

That movie suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

(except for Irene Dunne.)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

don't forget CIMARRON (1931?)

That movie suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

(except for Irene Dunne.)

You said it! It was the only time RKO won a Best Picture Oscar. And Richard Dix was actually nominated for a Best Actor Oscar! It was my introduction to Richard Dix, and that was a crying shame because it is likely his worst performance in a sound picture. The hamminess of the entire production, the unlikeability of the main character, the fact that Dix is willing to just run out and leave Dunne to care for the business they started and for their kids while he chases some adventure, and then returns every time so self righteous. Bleck! I've even got the DVD for posterity's sake. Do you want to know the short that is included with it? "The Devil's Cabaret", from 1930, which does not match the film at all and is actually the high point of the DVD.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

BEN-HUR might actually be my least favorite BEST PICTURE WINNER...of the Golden Age, at least.

My least favorite is probably "Around the World in 80 Days". It is just pure long-winded torture. Not even David Niven can save that one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

You said it! It was the only time RKO won a Best Picture Oscar. And Richard Dix was actually nominated for a Best Actor Oscar! It was my introduction to Richard Dix, and that was a crying shame because it is likely his worst performance in a sound picture. The hamminess of the entire production, the unlikeability of the main character, the fact that Dix is willing to just run out and leave Dunne to care for the business they started and for their kids while he chases some adventure, and then returns every time so self righteous. Bleck! I've even got the DVD for posterity's sake. Do you want to know the short that is included with it? "The Devil's Cabaret", from 1930, which does not match the film at all and is actually the high point of the DVD.

We are SO SIMPATICO in re: RICHARD DIX in CIMARRON...I've never seen any of his silents, but with the exception of a WHISTLER film (adapted from the radio series) in the 40's, I've never seen him in anything where he didn't have it set to a "12!"

(there is actually a neighing, horsey, whinnying quality to his delivery; I wonder if he wasn't an influence on Young Cher.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

My least favorite is probably "Around the World in 80 Days". It is just pure long-winded torture. Not even David Niven can save that one.

never seen it. don't want to.

i think it's the only 1950's BEST PICTURE WINNER I haven't seen....

3 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Agreed, with Gigi nipping at its heels. Followed by the universally-loved and admired Sound of Music.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Agreed, with Gigi nipping at its heels. Followed by the universally-loved and admired Sound of Music.

I don't like the actual Sound of Music film all that much but I love the Laibach re-imagining of it. :lol: 

My least favorite Best Picture winner is probably the Great Ziegfeld. You're right that the numbers were very well choreographed but I just found it so boring and uninteresting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I give The Broadway Melody a pass due to the early sound era. Cavalcade I've learned to appreciate after a few viewings. The Great Ziegfeld has a good cast, as well as some impressively mounted production numbers. None of these three would I count among my favorites, but I don't mind them, either 

There were no really good choices in 1928-1929. The nominees were:

Alibi - Chester Morris marries the daughter of a cop who is constantly on his case, and he claims to be reformed. There is lots of tortuous early talkie dialogue, but I have to admit, Morris is very good here. Regis Toomey has a dying scene that is so cheesy and goes on so long I want to borrow one of the cop's guns and put an end to it myself.

In Old Arizona - Warner Baxter won an Oscar for his role as the Cisco Kid. Funny how all of the lawmen after him sound like they are from the Bronx. It can be tortuous in that early talkie way in parts too.

Hollywood Revue - A bunch of the studios did revues to show their silent stars had the stuff to transition to sound, and this was MGM's try at the genre. It has its good points. You get to see Jack Benny when he really was younger than 39, William Haines eats the buttons off of Benny's suit, and the Brox Sisters do "Singin in the Rain". But other numbers just lay there. For example, there is an adagio troupe that demonstrates what killed vaudeville.

The Patriot   - Leave it to Paramount to actually lose a Best Picture nominee.

Broadway Melody - Actually filmed in November 1928, the production improvised many techniques for filming sound pictures. The production actually looks very primitive today, but it has grown on me, mainly because the early talkie era and its films are a guilty pleasure of mine. Bessie Love, who had a pretty good silent career, got a last hurrah in these early MGM musicals. Plus you have some stuff you could only have in the precode era like a near rape at a Prohibition party by the film's villain Jock Warriner (Jack Warner???). Warner and L.B. Mayer hated each other.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love The Dogway Melody.

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

never seen it. don't want to.

i think it's the only 1950's BEST PICTURE WINNER I haven't seen....

It's okay as Cantinflas's US One-Hit Wonder.  (Studios intentionally tried to repeat his "surprise all-star Hollywood cameo cast" gig for a solo vehicle without David Niven in Pepe (1960), and his US career was quickly over.)  Even though Mexican comedies are easily amused, it's easy to see why he had such a legendary following, without having to track down rare imports.

The cameo-spotting is also fun and even if Around was "only" Todd-AO, the locations feel like we got our one representative Cinerama-epic winner, for film-historical posterity.  It's better watched over a series of nights as a mini-series, but it's not bad, and you've got the Victor Young theme to go with the pseudo-Cinerama scenery.

And rather than join in on the Broadway Melody bashing (the early talkie-musical "Stage-O-Vision" almost killed off talkie-musicals before Busby Berkeley cut loose with his camera), or bring up old zeitgeist grudges of Crash (2004) or Gladiator (2000), I'll just ask:  Can anyone explain WHY Tom Jones (1963) won?  I've never been able to figure that one out.

(And does anyone remember A Beautiful Mind (2001) for anything other than "Fellowship of the Ring should have won"?)

I'm embarrassed that I'm up this late...maybe it's because the Oscars didn't put me to sleep as they usually do.

For one thing, the show really was considerably shorter than usual. I'd say about one whole hour shorter. (I think they usually end around midnight, and this time it was just on 11.) I believe the ceremony was shorter because there was no host. It makes you realize how much time a host takes up, kidding around etc. So on the "No Oscar Host" side, that was a plus - - the shorter running time.

On the other hand, I really kind of felt the lack of a host as a negative thing. The fact that there was none made you realized that the host - if he or she is good - sort of holds it all together and also creates some kind of feeling of community. They make us laugh (if they're good) and entertain us, and somehow tie it all together. I thought it seemed a bit odd without one, and also half the time I didn't know who the presenters were, because nobody introduced them (or made jokes about them...) It felt kind of cold, without a host.

• Like 1

One thing - and you might have appreciated this, Lorna - that was a bit of a refreshing change from recent years, was, some of the outfits were kind of extreme again. I always liked that, in fact it's a big reason why I watch the Academy Awards ceremony: I get a kick out of some of the crazy things the stars wear. As you (Lorna) pointed out, much earlier on this thread, lately the gowns have been too "curated" and controlled to be interesting.

But this year, I thought some of them were a bit more outre. Most have stopped wearing the glorified bath towel look, a good thing. Spike Lee was kind of fun, all in purple. And Olivia Colman's outfit was pretty unusual. I'm not sure about the enormous bow in the back, but other than that, I kind of liked it.

Speaking of Olivia Colman, was that an upset or what? You could tell even Olivia Colman wasn't expecting a win. She didn't have a speech prepared, and she was noticeably flustered. In kind of a charming way.  I did feel bad for Glenn Close, that woman has been nominated so many times and never won. Chalk up another loss. I bet she was furious (although not at Olivia Colman, who actually pointed to Close and said it should have been her.)

• Like 1

I liked Green Book, but I think Roma was the best movie (although I haven't yet seen BlackkKlansman; plan to, I like Spike Lee...)

Here's the thing about Roma: it had already won "Best Foreign Language Film". So it would be excessive, unfair somehow, for it to have won "Best Picture" as well. I actually think, if a non-English language movie is nominated for "Best Picture", it should not also be nominated for "Best Foreign Language Film". It's too much.  After I saw that Roma had won "Best Foreign Film", I didn't want it to also win for "Best Picture", that would basically mean it picked up "Best Picture" twice.

As for Best Actor, who the frig is Rami Malek, anyway? Yes, I saw Bohemian Rhapsody (I have a friend who's a big Queen fan who dragged me to it), and it was entertaining enough, and yes, Rami Malek was pretty darn good as Freddy Mercury. But ...really? What else has this guy ever been in? I feel he hasn't paid his dues yet. This wouldn't matter if he'd absolutely blown everyone away, but, good as he was, I don't think the role was that much of a challenge. Not compared to, say, Christian Bale, who was fantastic as Dick Chaney in Vice.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

One thing - and you might have appreciated this, Lorna - that was a bit of a refreshing change from recent years, was, some of the outfits were kind of extreme again.

Really? Didn't notice.

0224-billy-porter-getty-4.jpg

• Haha 2

She won't EVER EVER attend again, but GLENN should WIN next year for HER REACTION GIF TO LOSING, please someone screen it theatrically in LA so it qualifies. 

HONEST TO GOD, if it had been me in GLENN'S PLACE, I would have gone FULL Rose Nyland upon losing the Volunteer Vanguard Award to Agnes Pancratz for the fourth consecutive year and stood up and screamed obsceneties to everyone before delivering a middle finger and a hearty "eff you" to Olivia, GaGa, and Melissa (not Yalitza tho, we cool Yaltiza), before storming out of the theater DANGEROUS LIAISONS style while "accidentally" hitting everyone with my ten foot golden ***damned cape.

then i probably would lock the doors and start dousing the joint with grill lighter until subdued by security.

• Haha 4

"NO. NO. NO! I SAT HERE AND BEHAVED THREE YEARS AGO WHEN ******* MERYL WON HER THIRD ****** OSCAR AND I KNOW "ALBERT NOBBS" WASN'T GREAT, BUT SERIOUSLY, DID YOU SEE "THE IRON LADY"???!!!!!!!!"

5 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

As for Best Actor, who the frig is Rami Malek, anyway? Yes, I saw Bohemian Rhapsody (I have a friend who's a big Queen fan who dragged me to it), and it was entertaining enough, and yes, Rami Malek was pretty darn good as Freddy Mercury. But ...really? What else has this guy ever been in? I feel he hasn't paid his dues yet. This wouldn't matter if he'd absolutely blown everyone away, but, good as he was, I don't think the role was that much of a challenge. Not compared to, say, Christian Bale, who was fantastic as Dick Chaney in Vice.

I saw 4 out of 5 of the nominees for Best Actor (Christian Bale is the only I didn't see) and I think Malek was deserving. He appeared in a small role in "Short Term 12" (2013) but I did remember him from that so he made an impression. The film also features Brie Larson would later win an Oscar for "Room".

• Thanks 1

God I HATE OSCAR MONTH.

For sure it is TCm's worst month for films.  It is basically a rehash of most of the films that TCM shows regularly.  I say, 90% comes from MGM. Once a year, they show the Lost Weekend, (on Oscar month during the morning hours.) which is one of Ray Milland's best films.Thank goodness for DVRs. At the end of this month, they will have a Noir Marathon. They will play on February 27th.  Boy, do I miss Noir Alley. 

I am looking forward to catch FOREVER AMBER, which I haven't seen 30 in years.

I was so bored  with Oscar that I watched  the classic DOBIE GILLIS SHOWS on You Tube.  C'est La Vie.

• Thanks 1

This is where I would love to know the actual vote count distribution.

I wonder how many voters thought Glenn is surely going to win, so I'll cast mine for someone else.  

• Thanks 1