LornaHansonForbes

Anyone else get the feeling that Oscars 2019 in particular is headed for a spectacular train wreck?

224 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LMREO! Who could forget that one. (I was still watching back then).

Eileen Bowman, who played snow White in that number shared her thoughts many years later about it all....
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oscars-rob-lowes-snow-white-422225

And she also got a chance to swing a bat at a pinata of Snow White for the occasion....

Hollywood_Reporter_Eileen_Bowman_Snow_Wh

10 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Will Rob and Snow finally get their moment of vindication after 30 years next month? If it goes over the top because of the lack of a host , it might just happen. 

Perhaps a memoriam to Telly Savalas, Pat Morita and Dom DeLuise?:

https://splinternews.com/a-look-back-at-historys-tackiest-oscars-opening-numbers-1793855080

Yes.  THESE are what we had before Billy Crystal CGI'ed himself into the year's movies.  Lord help me, I didn't even remember that Teri Garr one.  😮

• Thanks 1

The actors today are all very forgettable, and people are not going to sit to see someone who looks like the next door neighbor fawn over a gold statue decided by a bunch of balding white men. There, I think that got it all in. Oh, and every one seems to be a relative of someone else who made it (hint hint).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

Get old friends Carol Burnett and Julie Andrews to co-host!

Maybe Andrews can go topless like in SOB! :D

Just now, Fedya said:

This Ceremony has been rated TV-MA and like Sesame Street is brought to you by the letter R..... In other words, Oscars go HBO..... (Frankly, as for SOB, I found the work done by Robert Preston as a Dr. Feelgood and Loretta Swit as a scabrous, unhinged gossip columnist to be the freshest funniest things in it, although i liked the film a lot)

4 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Just remember, the last time they went without a host was the 1989 telecast..... and that telecast was certainly ....unforgettable..... for those that did see it.

I've watched every ceremony since Star Wars was nominated for Best Picture (my reaction at the end of the show: Annie Who? Woody what?), so yes, I saw this one. I watched in a college dorm room with my two besties, and our jaws were on the floor during that Rob Lowe/Snow White number.

I honestly don't remember it, but there was, I think, another big number that year showcasing the Stars of Tomorrow, some of whom went on to have careers, many who were never heard from again. There was a big article about it in Entertainment Weekly's Oscar issue last year.

7 hours ago, Hibi said:

Does anyone even care anymore? (outside of Hollywood) I havent watched a broadcast in years now. I record it, but when I find out the winners, I just erase it. LOL

I usually DVR it and start watching it a little bit after it's started so that I can fast forward through all the acceptance speeches.

10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

even things peripheral to the awards are no fun, like the fashion. everyone is professionally styled and made-up to the nth degree and there's only so many variations one can have on a strapless column/ ballgown. at-home, personally designed fashion travesties have largely become a thing of the past, and they used to be such fun!

Yes, definitely, one of the reasons I used to like to watch the Oscars was to see all the crazy outfits. The more kooky and outrageous, the better. It was very entertaining.

Now, as you say, the gowns all seem to be a variation on the same  theme. Why do all the Oscar invitees now feel they have to play it safe? Are stars more boring than they used to be? (Guess that's another topic for another thread.)

At the risk of offending some, I'm going to say that I wish they'd stuck with Kevin Hart as host. I know, I know...But if everything everyone said 8 years or more ago were to be vilified and rejected, there'd be precious few celebs left to host anything. Kevin Hart is funny and edgy. I know all about the allegedly offensive comments he made about gays - but since those "tweets" have been deleted (well, I couldn't find any of them,anyway), I was unable to read them and judge for myself. And why can't people ever  be forgiven for things they said in the past?

I imagine, Lorna, you may have been happy that Hart stepped down. Curious to know if you were.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I think times have changed where people just don't have the patience to sit through a ceremony of that length anymore. Three or four hours is just too long. I don't have the data in front of me, but I think viewership numbers have been steadily dipping. It takes James Cameron or a superhero movie to bolster ratings. I think the highest-rated ceremonies of the last 25 years have been the ones when Titanic and Avatar were up for a bunch of Oscars or that year Heath Ledger won posthumously for playing the Joker. That's why they wanted to create a Best Popular Picture category, or whatever they were going to call that.  They're gonna try to make it shorter this year by giving out some of the awards most people say they don't care about during the commercial breaks and just announce them later in the show after those acceptance speeches have already been given. 

Plus they add in all the unnecessary skits/ songs and also that one time they brought in a bunch of random tourists and the stars were clearly very bored/ uncomfortable.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gershwin fan said:

that one time they brought in a bunch of random tourists and the stars were clearly very bored/ uncomfortable.

I feel like they did something similar two years in a row. The reaction of the tourists annoyed me. To a person, they got out their phones and started recording the movies stars they were feet away from. I mean, I suppose you're never going to be that close to Amy Adams again. Recording the moment is a natural instinct. But we couldn't even see the presumed joy on their faces, all of which were obscured by their phones. I'm so old that I usually don't even think about my phone until some recording-worthy moment is already past, but people under, say, 40, that's an automatic reaction for them.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

According to the L.A. Times the main issue for the 2019 Oscars is again the issue of diversity.   The Times has been running about an article a week about this and now that the Golden Globe has done-right in this area (according to the Times and many activist),   they are waiting to see if the Oscars follow suit.

Of course getting a host is an issue,  especially if they don't get the 'right one' to appease the Times and the activist.

EEH! Screw The Times and those activist!

Like I said earlier in this thing, BRING BACK Billy ("Myeah, where's your Oscar host NOW see?!") Crystal, I SAY!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fedya said:

Or maybe they could get Dyanne Thorne and Bambi Woods to co-host it.

16 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

At the risk of offending some, I'm going to say that I wish they'd stuck with Kevin Hart as host. I know, I know...But if everything everyone said 8 years or more ago were to be vilified and rejected, there'd be precious few celebs left to host anything. Kevin Hart is funny and edgy. I know all about the allegedly offensive comments he made about gays - but since those "tweets" have been deleted (well, I couldn't find any of them,anyway), I was unable to read them and judge for myself. And why can't people ever  be forgiven for things they said in the past?

I imagine, Lorna, you may have been happy that Hart stepped down. Curious to know if you were.

I'm not a fan of him but I heard his routine is all about being offensive so I think it's kind of silly to get outraged over him being intentionally offensive. I think they should have just kept him too.

• Like 1

I don't think that putting one's respect for diversity into practice means that the Oscars simply must have a person of colour as the host. I don't think Hart should be forgiven. Forgiveness is overrated. Cruelty in word and deed does not need to be excused.

(I'm still waiting for MSNBC to fire Joy Reid.)

47 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Yes, definitely, one of the reasons I used to like to watch the Oscars was to see all the crazy outfits. The more kooky and outrageous, the better. It was very entertaining.

Now, as you say, the gowns all seem to be a variation on the same  theme. Why do all the Oscar invitees now feel they have to play it safe? Are stars more boring than they used to be? (Guess that's another topic for another thread.)

Don't see why THAT topic should be for another thread here, MissW?! You WERE talkin' about how boring modern actors were while they're out of their element(making slam-dash superhero movies and/or crassly written modern "comedies") and once they've walked their collective overdressed butts out on the Oscar telecast stage here, weren't you?!

And so let's go there, I say!

(...'cause YEAH, the days of actors like David Niven being able to so cleverly AND off-the-cuff express the thought of a streaker "showing his shortcomings" OR Billy Crystal being able to immediately come up with a funny take on Jack Palance's one-armed push-ups, probably AND unfortunately ARE something you'd never see coming out of the mouths of these present day "movie stars", huh!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Don't see why THAT topic should be for another thread here, MissW?! You WERE talkin' about how boring modern actors were while they're out of their element(making slam-dash superhero movies and/or crassly written modern "comedies") and once they've walked their collective overdressed butts out on the Oscar telecast stage here, weren't you?!

And so let's go there, I say!

(...'cause YEAH, the days of actors like David Niven being able to so cleverly AND off-the-cuff express the thought of a streaker "showing his shortcomings" OR Billy Crystal being able to immediately come up with a funny take on Jack Palance's one-armed push-ups, probably AND unfortunately ARE something you'd never see coming out of the mouths of these present day "movie stars", huh!)

Was it so long ago that I used to wait for the Oscars each year so I could watch Billy Crystal do a whole number with Jack Nicholson in the front row?

And those bits where Billy Crystal put himself in the nominated movies and how he could sing those movie satires-- I really looked forward to those 

Time Marches On, but you have to have entertainment that is entertaining as well as relating to the nominated movies. They've always had some political issues and some political programs in the Oscars;

but they shouldn't forget that it's primarily about entertainment.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I don't think that putting one's respect for diversity into practice means that the Oscars simply must have a person of colour as the host. I don't think Hart should be forgiven. Forgiveness is overrated. Cruelty in word and deed does not need to be excused.

Maybe I'm naive; but I don't understand how people who claim to be well-educated and Progressive can be so backwards and nasty on some issues. It makes you not have a lot of respect or interest in what they have to say when they are criticizing other bigoted and Prejudiced people.

Swith-- You just mentioned two and it seems like this sort of thing is popping up all the time with a  number of individuals in the public sphere who claim to be open-minded and liberal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

Was Hart cruel? I don't know, because all I hear is that he uttered "homophobic slurs". But that's too vague for me; I'd like to know exactly what he said. And the criteria for "cruel" and "offensive" is very low these days. As for forgiveness being overrated, I think it's that very attitude that's causing a lot of the divisiveness  and uncompromising attitudes in the world right now.  Too much anger.

7 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

As for forgiveness being overrated, I think it's that very attitude that's causing a lot of the divisiveness  and uncompromising attitudes in the world right now.  Too much anger.

How cruel of you to say that.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I'd like to know exactly what he said.

One thing he said is if his son started showing gay tendencies, he would kill him. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

One thing he said is if his son started showing gay tendencies, he would kill him. 

Well, that's pretty horrible. But comedians, especially the so-called "edgy" ones, say a lot of outrageous things. Did Hart say that in one of his stand-up routines, where he clearly would be not serious, or was it just a bald statement, spoken with no comedic intent?  I know this is a cliche, but context really does make a difference. (Hey, I believe that once or twice I might have said I'd "kill" one of my kids if they did something I didn't like - although that was maybe if they skipped class at school or something...)

36 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Was Hart cruel? I don't know, because all I hear is that he uttered "homophobic slurs". But that's too vague for me; I'd like to know exactly what he said. And the criteria for "cruel" and "offensive" is very low these days. As for forgiveness being overrated, I think it's that very attitude that's causing a lot of the divisiveness  and uncompromising attitudes in the world right now.  Too much anger.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/8/18131221/kevin-hart-oscar-hosting-homophobia-twitter-tweets

“Yo if my son comes home & try’s 2 play with my daughters doll house I’m going 2 break it over his head & say n my voice ‘stop that’s gay,’” read a 2011 tweet that Hart deleted sometime on Wednesday or Thursday.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Was Hart cruel? I don't know, because all I hear is that he uttered "homophobic slurs". But that's too vague for me; I'd like to know exactly what he saiid. And the criteria for "cruel" and "offensive" is very low these days. As for forgiveness being overrated, I think it's that very attitude that's causing a lot of the divisiveness  and uncompromising attitudes in the world right now.  Too much anger.

People think an apology can wipe away all sorts of evil. As a progressive, I don't want the far right to cry about double standards. That's part of what creates their anger. Several right-wingers have lost their jobs recently because of one slip of the tongue which has been perceived as offensive to another group. Progressives have to be better than that; we have to practice what we preach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1