LornaHansonForbes

Anyone else get the feeling that Oscars 2019 in particular is headed for a spectacular train wreck?

224 posts in this topic

Now now Swithin, you superfluous-u speller, you!

Remember here: To err is...

th?id=OIP.5JVH6zAdqI_NwLrVHX05hAHaHa&pid

 

BUT, to forgive is...

Divine_in_Heaven_T-shirt.jpg

(...and don't you forget it!) ;)

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

At the risk of offending some, I'm going to say that I wish they'd stuck with Kevin Hart as host. I know, I know...But if everything everyone said 8 years or more ago were to be vilified and rejected, there'd be precious few celebs left to host anything. Kevin Hart is funny and edgy. I know all about the allegedly offensive comments he made about gays - but since those "tweets" have been deleted (well, I couldn't find any of them,anyway), I was unable to read them and judge for myself. And why can't people ever  be forgiven for things they said in the past?

I imagine, Lorna, you may have been happy that Hart stepped down. Curious to know if you were.

My rule on standup comics is, if you made me laugh even in spite of myself I’ll cut you a little bit of slack. I’ve seen some of his routines and yes he is genuinely funny and I laughed out loud numerous times.

That said, he did say some really bad things, and it’s not so much that he said them as he’s been defiant about not apologizing in any sort of way, not even offering one of those “I’m sorry if YOU were offended” type deals

Between watching his responses and a few other things, I have a very genuine sense that he is struggling with some demons beyond what we know about. I think the pressures of fame are kind of getting to him and if he did end up hosting, there might very well be one of those Tiffany Haddish New Year’s Eve in Miami type meltdowns.

I don’t think he’s an entirely well person, but beyond that hosting the Oscars is such an unbelievably thankless damned if you do damned if you don’t type job- They’ve really been in freefall for several years now and unable to find any one person who can pick up the mantle the way – like them or not – Carson and Crystal did

So, in this whole situation I ain’t really mad at Kevin, because I don’t think he’s playing with a full deck...

Ellen Degeneres on the other hand can sit her *** down on a whole row of seats FOR LIFE

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I suppose you're never going to be that close to Amy Adams again. Recording the moment is a natural instinct.

No it's not. If they had ANY brain in their head they would know the MOMENT IS BEING RECORDED. Professionally recorded, as a matter of fact. They can watch themselves & their shining moment later, on demand.

There is nothing stupider (yes I said it) than watching some great performance and seeing all the arms up in the air holding phones. Why not watch the performance, feel it, enjoy it....you're THERE!

Rest assured, it's being recorded for future release. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MY only beef about Hart as host is that I never found him funny, or the least bit entertaining.

But, that show's had plenty of hosts I felt that way about in the past, so what the hey?

What he said about some kinds of people back in his past and might have changed his feelings about since then shouldn't matter.  ALL of us can be guilty( and probably are) of saying offensive things about homosexuals, Hispanics, African-Americans, overweight people, people with eyeglasses, pimples, freckles, Italians, Irish, red hair, no hair, etc.  We (hopefully) grow as people over time and become more fair minded.  NObody is BORN that way.

Sepiatone

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

MY only beef about Hart as host is that I never found him funny, or the least bit entertaining.

he has a bit about using "pineapple" as a safe word during sex that is pretty damn funny.

his manic energy/rapid fire delivery reminds me a little of RICHARD PRYOR.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I've watched every ceremony since Star Wars was nominated for Best Picture (my reaction at the end of the show: Annie Who? Woody what?), so yes, I saw this one. I watched in a college dorm room with my two besties, and our jaws were on the floor during that [INFAMOUS] Rob Lowe/Snow White number [that introduced the 1989 awards ceremony].

The book INSIDE OSCAR by MASON WILEY and DAMIEN BONA has a FANTASTIC point-by-point breakdown of the number. i finally dug it up and watched it for the first time on youtube a couple of years ago, and they had done such a vivid job describing it, i felt as if i had seen it already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I'm not bugged one way or another by the KEVIN HART thing.

One thing that does annoy me about this year's impending nominaciones is that it looks like (but isn't a lock) that another "white savior" movie (GREEN BOOK) is going to have a strong showing.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have not seen it, but from what I have read it seems like it is yet another in the grand tradition of GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT and TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and THE KILLING FIELDS and DRIVING MISS DAISY and CRASH and THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND and SCHINDLER'S LIST and THE BLIND SIDE and (maybe?) THREE BILLBOARDS (didn't see it- FRANCES MACDORMAND makes me wretch) where the struggles of a minority group are presented within the context of a nice white person who is stepping down from atop MOUNT WHITEY to save a black man unjustly accused/Cambodians being executed/jews from the train to Auschwitz ETC. ETC.

Lord forbid we show minorities or the oppressed through the lens of their experience and not from the perspective of LIAM NEESON wondering why he couldn't have done more or SANDRA BULLOCK in a GOLDIE HAWN wig.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I usually DVR it and start watching it a little bit after it's started so that I can fast forward through all the acceptance speeches.

Sometimes I'll FF and watch the major award acceptance speeches (if I'm interested in the winners) I used to go to Oscar parties where people would bet on winners (I won once). I think everyone put a dollar in the pot. That was fun. It's more fun to watch with a group. I remember the groans during Sally Field's YOU LIKE ME, YOU REALLY LIKE ME! speech...........

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

My rule on standup comics is, if you made me laugh even in spite of myself I’ll cut you a little bit of slack. I’ve seen some of his routines and yes he is genuinely funny and I laughed out loud numerous times.

That said, he did say some really bad things, and it’s not so much that he said them as he’s been defiant about not apologizing in any sort of way, not even offering one of those “I’m sorry if YOU were offended” type deals

Between watching his responses and a few other things, I have a very genuine sense that he is struggling with some demons beyond what we know about. I think the pressures of fame are kind of getting to him and if he did end up hosting, there might very well be one of those Tiffany Haddish New Year’s Eve in Miami type meltdowns.

I don’t think he’s an entirely well person, but beyond that hosting the Oscars is such an unbelievably thankless damned if you do damned if you don’t type job- They’ve really been in freefall for several years now and unable to find any one person who can pick up the mantle the way – like them or not – Carson and Crystal did

So, in this whole situation I ain’t really mad at Kevin, because I don’t think he’s playing with a full deck...

Ellen Degeneres on the other hand can sit her *** down on a whole row of seats FOR LIFE

He said he's done with it, so I'm done with it. I didnt even know who this guy was until he was named host. He's acting all martyr now. Life moves on. Sick of seeing him on tv or talking about it.......

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Sometimes I'll FF and watch the major award acceptance speeches (if I'm interested in the winners) I used to go to Oscar parties where people would bet on winners (I won once). That was fun. It's more fun to watch with a group. I remember the groans during Sally Field's YOU LIKE ME, YOU REALLY LIKE ME! speech...........

THE REAL fun I had was watching the various pre-shows, I remember a local LA TV affiliate usually runs a good one, and- of course- there was JOAN RIVERS (crosses chest, looks to Heaven) on E! (Pre-Katrashian Koup)

I'll never forget the year ABC did their own pre-show and kicked everyone else off the red carpet a half hour before and Joan went BALLISTIC and it was EPIC.

Have tried to find it on youtube, but sadly could not.

her recorded off camera ragings REMINDED ME of Walter Peck when he gets the melted marshmallows dumped on him at the end of GHOSTBUSTERS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THE REAL fun I had was watching the various pre-shows, I remember a local LA TV affiliate usually runs a good one, and- of course- there was JOAN (crosses chest, looks to Heaven.)

I'll never forget the year ABC did their own pre-show and kicked everyone else off the red carpet a half hour before and Joan went BALLISTIC and it was EPIC.

Have tried to find it on youtube, but sadly could not.

Yes, I remember that! LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Honestly, I'm not bugged one way or another by the KEVIN HART thing.

One thing that does annoy me about this year's impending nominaciones is that it looks like (but isn't a lock) that another "white savior" movie (GREEN BOOK) is going to have a strong showing.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have not seen it, but from what I have read it seems like it is yet another in the grand tradition of GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT and TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and THE KILLING FIELDS and DRIVING MISS DAISY and CRASH and THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND and SCHINDLER'S LIST and THE BLIND SIDE and (maybe?) THREE BILLBOARDS (didn't see it- FRANCES MACDORMAND makes me wretch) where the struggles of a minority group are presented within the context of a nice white person who is stepping down from atop MOUNT WHITEY to save a black man unjustly accused/Cambodians being executed/jews from the train to Auschwitz ETC. ETC.

Lord forbid we show minorities or the oppressed through the lens of their experience and not from the perspective of LIAM NEESON wondering why he couldn't have done more or SANDRA BULLOCK in a GOLDIE HAWN wig.

LOL. I"ve heard of this controversy too, but havent seen the film yet......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. I"ve heard of this controversy too, but havent seen the film yet......

THERE IS A SHOW I LIKE (oops, caps lock) on NPR called THE 1A, they discuss different topics and they occasionally have a movie club, and i rarely listen to those episodes, but they did one on GREEN BOOK and I have tried to actually find it again, because (as i recall) they really did not like it, to the point where they actually discussed whether they were being "too mean" in their discussion of it.

that's the reason i was so surprised to hear it went over gangbusters at the GG's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GG's totally off the wall this year. SOMETIMES they predict Oscar winners. NOT this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Honestly, I'm not bugged one way or another by the KEVIN HART thing.

One thing that does annoy me about this year's impending nominaciones is that it looks like (but isn't a lock) that another "white savior" movie (GREEN BOOK) is going to have a strong showing.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have not seen it, but from what I have read it seems like it is yet another in the grand tradition of GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT and TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and THE KILLING FIELDS and DRIVING MISS DAISY and CRASH and THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND and SCHINDLER'S LIST and THE BLIND SIDE and (maybe?) THREE BILLBOARDS (didn't see it- FRANCES MACDORMAND makes me wretch) where the struggles of a minority group are presented within the context of a nice white person who is stepping down from atop MOUNT WHITEY to save a black man unjustly accused/Cambodians being executed/jews from the train to Auschwitz ETC. ETC.

Lord forbid we show minorities or the oppressed through the lens of their experience and not from the perspective of LIAM NEESON wondering why he couldn't have done more or SANDRA BULLOCK in a GOLDIE HAWN wig.

I wouldn't lump Three Billboards in with that group. McDormand's character is trying to get the cops to solve her daughter's rape and murder. Not exactly a "white savior" plot.

I recall one person around here having said that they saw Green Book, and they really liked it, for what that's worth.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have not seen it, but from what I have read it seems like it is yet another in the grand tradition of GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT and TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and THE KILLING FIELDS and DRIVING MISS DAISY and CRASH and THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND and SCHINDLER'S LIST and THE BLIND SIDE and (maybe?) THREE BILLBOARDS (didn't see it- FRANCES MACDORMAND makes me wretch) where the struggles of a minority group are presented within the context of a nice white person who is stepping down from atop MOUNT WHITEY to save a black man unjustly accused/Cambodians being executed/jews from the train to Auschwitz ETC. ETC.

Or which, in the late 80's pre-Mandela days, we referred to as the "Concerned White South-African journalist" movie.

(Of which there were technically only two, but when we got Patricia Arquette as the Concerned White Myanmar Journalist in "Beyond Rangoon" (1995), we decided to call it an even three.)

As for Crash, that was more the West coast's early-00's reaction to 9/11, where LA wanted that same NYC feeling of everyone banding together to work for a better world in these new scary times, although they could feel safe at a distance that nobody had tried to blow up their buildings.  Creating the new genre of intersecting-anthology stories of upper-class yuppies shocked by a sudden event, learning to come to grips with their own values, escape their contented sheltered lives, become aware of their place in a society around them, and awaken a need to work together, but the new genre of "Conscience porn" didn't last much beyond "Babel" and "Little Children".

(...'cause YEAH, the days of actors like David Niven being able to so cleverly AND off-the-cuff express the thought of a streaker "showing his shortcomings" OR Billy Crystal being able to immediately come up with a funny take on Jack Palance's one-armed push-ups, probably AND unfortunately ARE something you'd never see coming out of the mouths of these present day "movie stars", huh!)

I remember an interview about what a good Oscar host should do mentioning not David Niven as an example, but the time Billy Crystal introduced an aging Hal Roach for his life-achievement award--Roach rambled on about his silent-Hollywood reminiscences a bit awkwardly too long, but the microphone had accidentally cut out, and you could barely hear a word he was saying for those whole endless minutes.

Billy came back and handled the muttering, uncomfortable audience with "And it's appropriate, since he started his work in SILENTS!"  :)

The secret to a Good Oscar Host is to forget that it's ever being televised, period, full-stop:  You're there at an awards banquet, so keep things moving, crack some inside niche jokes for the people in the seats, and be a prepared enough ad-libber for the fact that anything will happen.  Like when Steve Martin reacted to Bjork's Best-Song dress with "I would have worn my dead-swan this evening, but it was So Last Year."

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who’s not “up-lifted” by a liberal latent, self-promotion gathering of “plastic-faced” wealthy entertainers? :rolleyes:

💋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EricJ said:

Or which, in the late 80's pre-Mandela days, we referred to as the "Concerned White South-African journalist" movie.

(Of which there were technically only two, but when we got Patricia Arquette as the Concerned White Myanmar Journalist in "Beyond Rangoon" (1995), we decided to call it an even three.)

Weren't there three South African films with white leads in the late 80s? Cry Freedom, A World Apart, and A Dry White Season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JeanneCrain said:

Who’s not “up-lifted” by a liberal latent, self-promotion gathering of “plastic-faced” wealthy entertainers? :rolleyes:

 

💋

You are SO WRONG. 

Its all Botox and fillers now, plastic is SO last century.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Weren't there three South African films with white leads in the late 80s? Cry Freedom, A World Apart, and A Dry White Season.

Denzel did got nominated for CRY FREEDOM, But for supporting actor even though a lot of people felt he was the lead. BRANDO got his final- And only supporting – nomination for A DRY WHITE SEASON

(just trivia)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I wouldn't lump Three Billboards in with that group. McDormand's character is trying to get the cops to solve her daughter's rape and murder. Not exactly a "white savior" plot.

I recall one person around here having said that they saw Green Book, and they really liked it, for what that's worth.

It was very very dumb of me to lump THREE BILLBOARDS in. I really do apologize 

I read at various online sites that the film was cited as having some sort of racial issues, but since I didn’t see it: I really should’ve kept my fat yapp shut.

It is a definite shortcoming on my part that I have *such* a strong aversion to modern movies, I try not to be snotty and elitist about it, but let’s face it: I am.

I haven’t seen a single film made from -I think- the last three years at least, And I swear to you I don’t say that as a badge of honor...and yet I’m nowhere near ashamed to admit it

I just don’t feel most stuff made today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Honestly, I'm not bugged one way or another by the KEVIN HART thing.

One thing that does annoy me about this year's impending nominaciones is that it looks like (but isn't a lock) that another "white savior" movie (GREEN BOOK) is going to have a strong showing.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have not seen it, but from what I have read it seems like it is yet another in the grand tradition of GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT and TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and THE KILLING FIELDS and DRIVING MISS DAISY and CRASH and THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND and SCHINDLER'S LIST and THE BLIND SIDE and (maybe?) THREE BILLBOARDS (didn't see it- FRANCES MACDORMAND makes me wretch) where the struggles of a minority group are presented within the context of a nice white person who is stepping down from atop MOUNT WHITEY to save a black man unjustly accused/Cambodians being executed/jews from the train to Auschwitz ETC. ETC.

Lord forbid we show minorities or the oppressed through the lens of their experience and not from the perspective of LIAM NEESON wondering why he couldn't have done more or SANDRA BULLOCK in a GOLDIE HAWN wig.

With Green Book, I have not seen it, but much of the controversy seemingly comes from a running gag about fried chicken (which definitely does raise an eyebrow especially now, given the racial connotations) and that the family of the character played by Mahershala Ali claim it does not square with the real life story.

And, as for Three Billboards, no white saviour thing there, but instead a deeply uncomfortable film that padded out what could have been a vital tale with cheap shots of lines designed to offend black people, Hispanics, Catholics, and short people. I thought McDormand was wonderful in it (as were Woody Harrellson and a few minor players), but the script was one of the worst I had ever seen for a film. It's kind of like a rustic War of the Roses with law enforcement taking the position of marriage and with all the wit, cinematic style, and nuance taken out. It really needed a Danny DeVito to wire it up.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m also taking the time to note that Otto Censor is OK with the term “WHITEY,” And I would also like it recorded for posterity – although I have a feeling that this thread is going to end up getting scrubbed at some point- that I am OK with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us