LornaHansonForbes

Anyone else get the feeling that Oscars 2019 in particular is headed for a spectacular train wreck?

368 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Sketchy was bad word, obscure might be better. Or esoteric...

 One of my biggest issues with the best actress category is that so often the nominees are SO off the radar- teeny tiny little films they made less than 3 million at the box office and barely got a release. I know it’s more a symptom than the problem, but generally if you add up the box office grosses of the five best actress nominees they don’t even equal what one of the best actor nominees’ films made

It’s also the category where a lot of foreign language nominees “sneak” in, which is technically fine, but again a symptom not the problem that there aren’t very many good roles for actresses in big budget American pictures made nowadays.

It’s funny, for all my film snob tendencies when it comes to the Oscars are very much a populist. I would kind of rather see popular, successful films recognized, But a lot of this is residual frustration I had from the 90s when the Oscars were 100% the Harvey Weinstein show 

The Wife, the Glenn Close film, has made a little over 8 million.

Other likely Best Actress nominees:

  • Olivia Colman (The Favourite) ~ 20 million
  • Lady Gaga (A Star Is Born) ~ 202 million
  • Emily Blunt (Mary Poppins Returns) ~143 million
  • Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?) ~ 7 million
  • Yalitza Aparico (Roma) ???

Oddly enough, while Roma has received limited, awards-qualifying theatrical releases in a few big cities, it has been available on Netflix since December 14th, and as such, may have been seen by as many or more people than the biggest money-maker listed above.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While we’re on it, my mind is kind of blown that Emily Blunt is apparently a (nomination) front runner for MARY POPPINS 2: THE SEARCH FOR MORE MONEY. 

Shes *that* good in it? 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I wasn't very impressed by either her or the film, but I know I'm in the minority on that. I still think the movie has a strong shot at Best Picture.

Don't the majority of members with a vote for Best Picture live in the So Cal area? 

If yes,  Roma is a shoe-in (as part of an anti-you-know-who protest).

PS:  I should have stated that I'm NOT saying the film doesn't deserve to win (I haven't seen it or any film released in 2018),  but that in a close contest (in a voter's mind) the above type of sediment could be a tie-breaker and that could push it to the top.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Don't the majority of members with a vote for Best Picture live in the So Cal area? 

If yes,  Roma is a shoe-in (as part of an anti-you-know-who protest).

Yes, while I am normally loathe to ascribe such things to a secret (or not-so-secret) political agenda, as some people have done about other winners in recent years (Spotlight, Moonlight), I have considered that with the current debate about our southern neighbors and the perceived mistreatment of them by the government, there could be a groundswell of support for Roma, even if that film doesn't address any border issues. However, it's just as likely to win because the voters thought it was the best film, as I'm sure many/most did about those other two I mentioned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

While we’re on it, my mind is kind of blown that Emily Blunt is apparently a (nomination) front runner for MARY POPPINS 2: THE SEARCH FOR MORE MONEY. 

Shes *that* good in it? 

 

Actually yes. Her version of the role is tarter and more acerbic than Juile Andrews' take and she has a lot of fun with all of her one-liners.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

While we’re on it, my mind is kind of blown that Emily Blunt is apparently a (nomination) front runner for MARY POPPINS 2: THE SEARCH FOR MORE MONEY. 

Shes *that* good in it? 

 

2 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Actually yes. Her version of the role is tarter and more acerbic than Juile Andrews' take and she has a lot of fun with all of her one-liners.

I'm not the intended audience for the film and it will likely be a long time before I get around to seeing it, but I really like Emily Blunt, so I wouldn't mind if she were nominated. I'll just pretend it was for A Quiet Place.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

While we’re on it, my mind is kind of blown that Emily Blunt is apparently a (nomination) front runner for MARY POPPINS 2: THE SEARCH FOR MORE MONEY. 

Shes *that* good in it? 

 

A recent article in the L.A. Times business section was all about how profitable the Disney movie division has been.  I believe it has been the top money making studio.     Yea,  their that good!   (and this is America).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

Yes, while I am normally loathe to ascribe such things to a secret (or not-so-secret) political agenda, as some people have done about other winners in recent years (Spotlight, Moonlight), I have considered that with the current debate about our southern neighbors and the perceived mistreatment of them by the government, there could be a groundswell of support for Roma, even if that film doesn't address any border issues. However, it's just as likely to win because the voters thought it was the best film, as I'm sure many/most did about those other two I mentioned.

There was all political talk too around Shape of Water

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Satire from the Onion on the nature of Oscar campaigns

 

Ethan Hawke’s Body Found Dumped In Laurel Canyon As 2019 Oscar Race Heats Up

xyp74aljzw1e18gac8sv.jpg

LOS ANGELES—Declaring this year’s awards-show-related crime wave among the worst in decades, the Los Angeles Police Department confirmed Friday that the headless, handless body of Ethan Hawke was found dumped in Laurel Canyon, a crime consistent in its motive and its violence with the 2019 Oscar race. “Unfortunately, the brutal, harrowing killing of the man who put in such a riveting, harrowing appearance in First Reformed aligns completely with the violent crime surge that tends to build as we approach awards season, and Oscar-related torture–murders are certainly no exception,” said LAPD officer Aaron Lopez, who noted that while Hawke’s murder was still under investigation, any list of suspects had to include fellow Oscar acting frontrunners Bradley Cooper for his complex turn in A Star Is Born, Hugh Jackman for an under-the-radar virtuoso showing in The Frontrunner, and much-beloved but perennial Oscar also-ran Robert Redford for his swan song performance in The Old Man And The Gun. “Competition is pretty steep this year, so it’s likely this is only the first killing of many. We have officers staking out every major nightclub, restaurant, and screening room to try and prevent further loss of potential-nominee life, but unfortunately, there’s only so much we can do this time of year except speculate. It’s dangerous out there.” Officer Lopez was forced to cut his interview short as he was called away following the discovery of over a dozen corpses in a Sherman Oaks mansion, which, at press time, were believed to be the entire cast of probable Best Picture nominee Boy Erased. 

https://www.theonion.com/ethan-hawke-s-body-found-dumped-in-laurel-canyon-as-201-1831671905

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

A recent article in the L.A. Times business section was all about how profitable the Disney movie division has been.  I believe it has been the top money making studio.     Yea,  their that good!   (and this is America).

 

$700 million worth of Black Panther, and $600 million worth of Incredibles 2 will do that to you.... and that is just North America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CinemaInternational said:

$700 million worth of Black Panther, and $600 million worth of Incredibles 2 will do that to you.... and that is just North America.

Don't forget the $2 billion for Avengers: Infinity War, the biggest hit of the year.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LawrenceA said:

Satire from the Onion on the nature of Oscar campaigns

 

Ethan Hawke’s Body Found Dumped In Laurel Canyon As 2019 Oscar Race Heats Up

xyp74aljzw1e18gac8sv.jpg

LOS ANGELES—Declaring this year’s awards-show-related crime wave among the worst in decades, the Los Angeles Police Department confirmed Friday that the headless, handless body of Ethan Hawke was found dumped in Laurel Canyon, a crime consistent in its motive and its violence with the 2019 Oscar race. “Unfortunately, the brutal, harrowing killing of the man who put in such a riveting, harrowing appearance in First Reformed aligns completely with the violent crime surge that tends to build as we approach awards season, and Oscar-related torture–murders are certainly no exception,” said LAPD officer Aaron Lopez, who noted that while Hawke’s murder was still under investigation, any list of suspects had to include fellow Oscar acting frontrunners Bradley Cooper for his complex turn in A Star Is Born, Hugh Jackman for an under-the-radar virtuoso showing in The Frontrunner, and much-beloved but perennial Oscar also-ran Robert Redford for his swan song performance in The Old Man And The Gun. “Competition is pretty steep this year, so it’s likely this is only the first killing of many. We have officers staking out every major nightclub, restaurant, and screening room to try and prevent further loss of potential-nominee life, but unfortunately, there’s only so much we can do this time of year except speculate. It’s dangerous out there.” Officer Lopez was forced to cut his interview short as he was called away following the discovery of over a dozen corpses in a Sherman Oaks mansion, which, at press time, were believed to be the entire cast of probable Best Picture nominee Boy Erased. 

https://www.theonion.com/ethan-hawke-s-body-found-dumped-in-laurel-canyon-as-201-1831671905

I am reminded, while reading this, of Steve Martin's joke at the 2001 Oscars that there had been an assult/kidnapping attempt/something like that on Russell Crowe, and Martin blamed fellow nominee Tom Hanks for the attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LawrenceA said:

Don't forget the $2 billion for Avengers: Infinity War, the biggest hit of the year.

If it has a cape it will fly at the box office. The new Disney motto.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CinemaInternational said:

I am reminded, while reading this, of Steve Martin's joke at the 2001 Oscars that there had been an assult/kidnapping attempt/something like that on Russell Crowe, and Martin blamed fellow nominee Tom Hanks for the attack.

And Hanks reaction was GOLD

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CinemaInternational said:

If it has a cape it will fly at the box office. The new Disney motto.

Liberace tho?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Onion article is pretty spot on

i like Emily Brunt in THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA (it’s required viewing to keep my Gay License)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 11:22 AM, CinemaInternational said:

As good as Billy Crystal is an Oscar host, I was thinking even older. Get old friends Carol Burnett and Julie Andrews to co-host! It would bring class, quality, and wit to the ceremony.

 

On 1/9/2019 at 11:11 AM, Dargo said:

Fairly easy solution to this would be for them to bring back THIS guy again to host it...

?w=800&i=1330308412664.jpg&crop=yes

Sure, he may not be all that 'young and hip' anymore, but after watching him recently as a guest on the Colbert show, the guy is still a long way from becoming 'the Bob Hope years after his prime' sort.

 

Looking back to the past to solve problems of today is how the awards show got in this mess in the first place. Looking at old tweets, old accusations coming back to haunt executives and celebs alike. That's the new trick, wait till someone is announced to something prestigious, then search and find something "un PC" they might have posted decades ago.

Oscars, Grammys and Miss America are all old institutions that have not aged well. Movies are produced in all sorts of ways today. Some still see a difference between a big studio and an independent, from the big screen and all the small screens in existence today. Too busy trying to divide and categorize.

Now we have an awards show where all the men must wear a black tux. All women must appear as thin as a rail, No one can have any skeletons in their closet, don't dare mention being a conservative, Don't mention anything that might offend the multitude of factions that exist today.  Then they wonder why they can't find a host. And when they do, the comedians are afraid to use any of their good jokes so what's the use ?

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GGGGerald said:

 

Looking back to the past to solve problems of today is how the awards show got in this mess in the first place. Looking at old tweets, old accusations coming back to haunt executives and celebs alike. That's the new trick, wait till someone is announced to something prestigious, then search and find something "un PC" they might have posted decades ago.

Oscars, Grammys and Miss America are all old institutions that have not aged well. Movies are produced in all sorts of ways today. Some still see a difference between a big studio and an independent, from the big screen and all the small screens in existence today. Too busy trying to divide and categorize.

Now we have an awards show where all the men must wear a black tux. All women must appear as thin as a rail, No one can have any skeletons in their closet, don't dare mention being a conservative, Don't mention anything that might offend the multitude of factions that exist today.  Then they wonder why they can't find a host. And when they do, the comedians are afraid to use any of their good jokes so what's the use ?

 

 

There is nobody alive who doesn't have at least on skeleton in their past or in the closet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

There is nobody alive who doesn't have at least on skeleton in their past or in the closet.

Certainly, no one interesting :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

That Onion article is pretty spot on

i like Emily Brunt in THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA (it’s required viewing to keep my Gay License)

And who knew at that time what a talented musical performer she is. Use your Gay License to check out YouTube for the "22 Musicals in 12 Minutes" segment of James Cordon's show. Very clever and super fun. Haven't seen Mary Poppins though.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

If it has a cape it will fly at the box office. The new Disney motto.

Or pecs. The kid in me really wanted to see Aquaman in his orange and green suit, but instead we got that WWF character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, EricJ said:

Or, that we've had "Art" indies rammed up our collective Oscar behinds for the last decade, we've stopped seeking them out because we've stopped being able to tell them apart.

In any other five-nomination year of the 80's or 90's, Roma would be the Critical Darling that would invariably lose to the populist favorite (which is why every single culturally-paranoid regional NBOR critic would give it Best of the Year to thumb their nose at "the superhero movie"), but now that we've gotten EIGHT of them a year at the Oscars, every year, for the last ten years, "Fatigue" is the polite way of putting it.  Any other way would be censored by the Mods.

I honestly don't understand this knee-jerk negative attitude towards any movies that aren't in English (preferably American English), or that are just a bit out of the mainstream. Why are they labelled "art" movies (sounds like a term from the 1960s), and why do you assume that they're pretentious and/or boring? (Ok, to be fair you did not say they were pretentious or boring, but it's implied, and I'm pretty sure you've said that in other threads.)

..."We've stopped being able to tell them apart". Seriously?  This makes me wonder if you even watch such films, or if you just roll your eyes as soon as you hear about a foreign or "indie" film and assume the worst. 

I'm not denying that there are and always have been dreary movies that aspire to the label of "art" (Jean Luc Godard comes to mind), but to paint all foreign and "indie" films with the same brush, to the point where you say you "can't tell them apart", is just a silly statement that demonstrates a certain close-mindedness to any kind of film that isn't "mainstream" and preferably, American.

I tend to just think of all movies as movies, some in a foreign language, some made by an unknown director who maybe wants to try something different, some British, some "mainstream", some made in the 1920s -- yes, silent movies -- some made before 1960, some after that date....I realize this is becoming tedious, but my point is, I just like movies, and I don't assume I won't like a certain type of movie based on generalizations made about it. There are a lot of American, English language, so-called "mainstream" or commercial films that I love. And there are a lot of what you describe as "art indies" that I also love. I've always found it limiting to lump certain types of films into certain negative categories, and find it hard to understand why so many people do this.

Sorry, I realize all the above sounds a bit smug or self-righteous, and I loathe both qualities. But then again, you sound a bit judgmental and narrow-minded in your assessment of foreign and so-called "art" films, so I guess it all evens out.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us