LornaHansonForbes

Anyone else get the feeling that Oscars 2019 in particular is headed for a spectacular train wreck?

368 posts in this topic

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet or not, but ROMA is currently available on Netflix if anyone’s interested.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

diana-barrie2.jpg

"GLENDA BLOODY JACKSON. She never goes and she gets nominated every ***damn YEAR."

 

 

 

(That's not how the actual line goes, but how I choose to paraphrase from memory.)

ps- How nice of the House Where Oscar Wilde Died to loan them the drapes from his bedroom for this scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 3:41 PM, EricJ said:

Gags only took the project because, oo, Barbara Streisand!  (And, ironically, not so much because of Judy Garland.)

Spare a thought for Janet Gaynor and Constance Bennett.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 5:19 PM, misswonderly3 said:

don't tell me that just because a film's made in a language other than English, and English-speaking people need subtitles to understand it, you find that off-putting. 

I should put a review of Winter Light in the "I Just Watched" thread.

(Short synopsis: when you hear people decry foreign films as being "pretentious", Winter Light is the sort of thing that backs them up.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, EricJ said:

To take example, let's just dissect the issue and say that, for one, it's getting harder and harder to tell the "Secret persecuted gay relationship" indie Picture nominees apart, after Moonlight, Carol and The Imitation Game.  Yes, every actor or filmmaker within the community feels they "have" to make one (does Ian McKellen make movies about anything else anymore?), and every, er, sympathetic voter or critic has to demand that it become forefront in our Oscar attention, but that doesn't mean a market isn't being glutted.  

Goes all the way back to Gay Fatal Attraction (er, Brokeback Mountain) and how much of the praise seemed to be, "Ooh, gay cowboys.  And we're ticking off middle America!  Aren't we so brave?"

Not that the movie is bad, and if I'm not mistaken Fatal Attraction got a Best Picture nomination.  But a lot of the praise seemed to me based on the fact that it poked the "right" people in the eye.

A lot like the Douglas Sirk movies in that regard.  A lot of people want to hate on suburbia, and 50s America.  Douglas Sirk did that in spades.  Therefore the movies must be brilliant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

 

ps- How nice of the House Where Oscar Wilde Died to loan them the drapes from his bedroom for this scene.

Good thing you've got your Gay License because you could get pulled over for that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DougieB said:

Good thing you've got your Gay License because you could get pulled over for that one.

Well, I thought it was funny.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Well, I thought it was funny.

I'm not an emoji person, but maybe I should be. It was funny. You a funny lady.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DougieB said:

I'm not an emoji person, but maybe I should be. It was funny. You a funny lady.

"SHE WAS FORCED TO DO "FUNNY LADY"!!!! SHE WAS UNDER CONTRACT!"

(PS- no worries, its cool)

(pss- THOSE DRAPES really are ugly tho)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

"SHE WAS FORCED TO DO "FUNNY LADY"!!!! SHE WAS UNDER CONTRACT!"

(PS- no worries, its cool)

(pss- THOSE DRAPES really are ugly tho)

If they matched the carpet, Oscar was in more than just legal trouble. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fedya said:

I should put a review of Winter Light in the "I Just Watched" thread.

(Short synopsis: when you hear people decry foreign films as being "pretentious", Winter Light is the sort of thing that backs them up.)

I haven't seen Winter Light, so I can't comment on that one. I do absolutely agree that there are lots of foreign language films that are pretentious and/or slow-paced and/or what I call "dreary".

However, I don't want to call Winter Light any of those things, because, as just stated, I have not seen it. I do usually like Bergman, although god knows he's  done a lot of "dreary" stuff, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Winter Light is terrific. It is dreary, but there's nothing wrong with that. It fits the subject matter.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fedya said:

(Short synopsis: when you hear people decry foreign films as being "pretentious", Winter Light is the sort of thing that backs them up.)

MissW leaped on the "foreign" thing for quick Merkan-culture bashing, but it's not "foreign", it's INDIES (mostly caused by fans and voters now using the National Board of Reviews list to pick their Draft Day choices from) that have been causing the rumblings of mutiny among Oscar fans.

And for what lit that particular match in the fire, I triple-dog-dare you to sit all the way through Terence Malick's Tree of Life, and why everyone thought that was "soulful" and "visionary" to take Picture away from "Hugo" and "The Artist"--Boyhood in '14 was only icing on the cake.

(And at this point, I'd normally do my standard default Bugs Bunny joke about "Tree of Life", but I'll save it for any thread-drift.  :D )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Tree of Life. Another fantastic movie. Stick to Disney, EricJ.

Also, this sentence makes little to no sense: "And for what lit that particular match in the fire, I triple-dog-dare you to sit all the way through Terence Malick's Tree of Life, and why everyone thought that was "soulful" and "visionary" to take Picture away from "Hugo" and "The Artist"--Boyhood in '14 was only icing on the cake." 

What are you trying to convey there? Tree of Life "took Picture away"? What? Hugo was nominated, as was The Artist (which won), so what was taken away, exactly? And what about Boyhood? I can't tell if you're saying it was bad, good, "took something away" from some other movie, or what the **** you're talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EricJ said:

MissW leaped on the "foreign" thing for quick Merkan-culture bashing, but it's not "foreign", it's INDIES (mostly caused by fans and voters now using the National Board of Reviews list to pick their Draft Day choices from) that have been causing the rumblings of mutiny among Oscar fans.

And for what lit that particular match in the fire, I triple-dog-dare you to sit all the way through Terence Malick's Tree of Life, and why everyone thought that was "soulful" and "visionary" to take Picture away from "Hugo" and "The Artist"--Boyhood in '14 was only icing on the cake.

(And at this point, I'd normally do my standard default Bugs Bunny joke about "Tree of Life", but I'll save it for any thread-drift.  :D )

Interesting the way you know other people's minds, Eric. Or think you do. I did not "leap on the foreign thing for quick Merkan-culture bashing", I merely was pointing out that a lot of people - and to be honest, a lot of Canadians, too, it's not just an American thing - are automatically put off at the idea of watching a film that's not in English, especially if they have to read sub-titles. I was just saying, this is too bad, because there are a lot of really good foreign films out there.

Also,  you know what? I really disliked Tree of Life; thought it was a bit pretentious, dull, and in some parts, silly. And I thought Boyhood was hugely over-rated. I don't automatically laud "indie" or "foreign" films, I just don't assume that they're all the same.

Also...so much for offering you an olive branch. In my last post to you, I agreed with quite a bit of what you said, and concluded by apologizing for sometimes being "grouchy and disagreeable " to you. Clearly that didn't cut any ice with EricJ.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet or not, but ROMA is currently available on Netflix if anyone’s interested.

Not only is it available on Netflix, pretty soon that will be the only way anyone can see it. It's a Netflix produced movie, and the only reason it was released at all in cinemas (and very limited release it was at that) was to render it eligible for Oscar nomination.

And by the way, it's a puzzle to me why director Alfonso Cuaron agreed to have Netflix produce it, since it's definitely the kind of film you get a lot more from if you see it on the big screen. Small screen Roma viewing is a bit of a waste, in my opinion.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Not only is it available on Netflix, pretty soon that will be the only way anyone can see it. It's a Netflix produced movie, and the only reason it was released at all in cinemas (and very limited release it was at that) was to render it eligible for Oscar nomination.

And by the way, it's a puzzle to me why director Alfonso Cuaron agreed to have Netflix produce it, since it's definitely the kind of film you get a lot more from if you see it on the big screen. Small screen Roma viewing is a bit of a waste, in my opinion.

Cuaron has stated that Netflix was the only company that would produce Roma. Several big-name directors (Martin Scorsese, Joel & Ethan Coen, Steven Soderbergh, Susanne Bier) have all said the same thing.

Amazon Studios is offering more creative freedom and risk-taking than the traditionals studios, as well.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Interesting the way you know other people's minds, Eric. Or think you do. I did not "leap on the foreign thing for quick Merkan-culture bashing", I merely was pointing out that a lot of people - and to be honest, a lot of Canadians, too, it's not just an American thing - are automatically put off at the idea of watching a film that's not in English, especially if they have to read sub-titles. I was just saying, this is too bad, because there are a lot of really good foreign films out there.

Also,  you know what? I really disliked Tree of Life; thought it was a bit pretentious, dull, and in some parts, silly. And I thought Boyhood was hugely over-rated. I don't automatically laud "indie" or "foreign" films, I just don't assume that they're all the same.

Also...so much for offering you an olive branch. In my last post to you, I agreed with quite a bit of what you said, and concluded by apologizing for sometimes being "grouchy and disagreeable " to you. Clearly that didn't cut any ice with EricJ.

I didn't mean YOU-you, I meant the rhetoric reader.  Most people picked that up.

We've actually had very few foreign-language Picture nominees, and those were considered to be the good ones of the indies--It's just the glut of indies itself that's been considered the bane of the Post-'04 Oscars, and yes, isolating it down to just "Americans don't like non-American films" did come off a bit too snobby in adopting that as what looked like one oversimplified explanation.

Okay, you liked Roma, we've established that.  If this were a five-nomination year, it would make the "A"-list five-nomination cut.  It's just the Academy still stubbornly sticking to its failed '08 idea that "Eight or ten nominations would bring in more commercial films"--When, as it turned out, exactly the OPPOSITE happened, and glutted the Picture races with minor cerebral indie films more suited for just a handful of Acting and Writing nominations just to fill out the list, and caused the natives to turn restless.  Most of us spotted it the first year, when a lot of buzz about "Gee, will Quentin Tarantino get something for 'Inglorious Basterds' like he usually does?", or "'District 9' will probably get a Picture nom, it's, like, really metaphorical about South Africa!" gave us the distinct hint that the voters were starting to get a little desperate and guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

...(pss- THOSE DRAPES really are ugly tho)

Saaay, I LIKE those drapes, Lorna!

(...they'd go really well with my Thomas Kinkade painting)

;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EricJ said:

I didn't mean YOU-you, I meant the rhetoric reader.  Most people picked that up.

We've actually had very few foreign-language Picture nominees, and those were considered to be the good ones of the indies--It's just the glut of indies itself that's been considered the bane of the Post-'04 Oscars, and yes, isolating it down to just "Americans don't like non-American films" did come off a bit too snobby in adopting that as what looked like one oversimplified explanation.

That is literally the reason foreign films do not do well in the US though. Most people simply do not like subtitles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

That is literally the reason foreign films do not do well in the US though. Most people simply do not like subtitles.

Yeah GF, and for THAT matter, they're usually not all that big on subTEXT either!

(...that makes 'em think too much TOO!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EricJ said:

I didn't mean YOU-you, I meant the rhetoric reader.  Most people picked that up....

 

Uh, ok, if you say so. But I wasn't responding to the "double-dog dare you" bit in your post, I was responding to the first sentence in it, which mentions my name. Did most people "pick up" being called "Miss Wonderly"?

Here's your first sentence in your post:

"MissW leaped on the "foreign" thing for quick Merkan-culture bashing"

But whatever.  I get your point about Indie films. And as I said, I don't entirely disagree with it, I just don't assume all independent and foreign films are pretentious, or dull, or politically didactic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

That is literally the reason foreign films do not do well in the US though. Most people simply do not like subtitles.

More than that, though--Think one of the reasons a foreign genre-based hit, like "Let the Right One In", "Shall We Dance?" or "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", even when they do become hits in mainstream cineplexes with subtitles, immediately have studios thinking they "have" to do big-budget Americanized remakes with A-list stars, is a sort of snobbery about the type of films that foreigns have been associated with.

We see "French" and think it'll be artsy and obscure, "German" and think it'll be disturbing and experimental, or "Swedish" and think it'll be full of whispering sad people, but when a country produces a real action movie, horror or fantasy, Hollywood studios think those countries have gotten "too big for their britches":  Hey, Norway, you're not allowed to make "Trollhunter", you're one of those European countries, you're just supposed to make obscure talky dramas about forbidden affairs, play arthouses, and just get snooty critics' awards!  

"Snobbery", yes, but here's the thing:  HOW did they get that reputation in the first place?  Nobody's exactly innocent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

That is literally the reason foreign films do not do well in the US though. Most people simply do not like subtitles.

Do "most people" dislike silent movies too?

Is anyone here aware of the trend of "watching" TV with constant closed captioning? I noticed this a few years ago when my teen would watch cartoons with close captioning (subtitles) on. I'd ask WHY she'd prefer reading it and realized she barely comprehended dialogue....because that required a different type of concentration.

I tried to break her of the habit, thinking she needed to learn auditory comprehension skills, to no avail. I countered by showing her foreign & silent films, which she THOROUGHLY enjoyed!

My elderly Mother however, wants to see the actors faces, expressions, and feels by reading dialogue, she misses the actor's nuances. She can't "drink in" the picture-the background, sets, other action in the frame. But she enjoys silents, since the title cards come separately from the picture.

I do not know WHY closed captioning is so popular, but often see CC subtitles on TVs when going into others' homes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

re: FARN FILMS

it has an AWFUL lot to do with how easy the subtitles are to read, every now and then TCM will show a print of a foreign film with white subtitles that become impossible to read whenever the background is also light. They have an atrocious print of GIGI (the French version) that immediately comes to mind as impossible to watch.

by nature, I am a listener and I am 100% guilty of doing the NY Times crossword puzzle; cleaning; and/or cruising on my phone when movies are on. it is shameless. it is a shortcoming. i don't know if it's a left brain thing, a male thing, or a generation thing- but it is ingrained.

ODDLY ENOUGH, I am also one of those people who has closed captioning on at almost all times if I can help it. i don't even know how to explain that one, other than it helps to draw me in and understand things i'd normally miss.

i'm a freak. a super freak. i'm super freaky.

i do however TOTALLY LISTEN TO the dialogue 99.99999% of the time and, if the visuals are great or if the film is just that good, I will give it my full attention...but my brain just is tuned to listening to the literal back and forth of dialogue between actors- like ping-pong, it clears my mind.

and not literally understanding the dialogue affects the way I view films, which is LARGELY through my ears.

i will, however, TOTALLY WATCH Japanese foreign films for a variety of reasons, but they are the only foreign films i actively seek out to watch. this is in no small part due to the fact that loooong stretches of Japanese movies have no dialogue, just rustling fields of bamboo or babbling water, and i can get in to the visuals. also, it's not too much of a distraction to read the dialogue in, say SEVEN SAMURAI, when 90% of it in the last 45 minutes is "ARRRRGH" and "swords clanking."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us