LornaHansonForbes

Anyone else get the feeling that Oscars 2019 in particular is headed for a spectacular train wreck?

368 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2019 at 7:08 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

diana-barrie2.jpg

"GLENDA BLOODY JACKSON. She never goes and she gets nominated every ***damn YEAR."

 

 

 

(That's not how the actual line goes, but how I choose to paraphrase from memory.)

ps- How nice of the House Where Oscar Wilde Died to loan them the drapes from his bedroom for this scene.

Lorna, hate to say this, but is that not Maggie Smith you included a photo of? It would seem that she did win an Oscar the same year the Duke won his. Maggie was nominated six times for an Oscar, winning in 1969 for The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and again for her supporting role in 1978's California Suite. Jackson has been nominated four times for an Oscar and won for Best Actress for Women in Love in 1971 and again in 1974 for Best Actress for A Touch of Class. It would seem that your disdain for Jackson should maybe for Smith? Just kidding. Both very fine actresses!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I think Winter Light is terrific. It is dreary, but there's nothing wrong with that. It fits the subject matter.

Winter Light is a beautiful, thoughtful, and uplifting meditation on faith.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Cuaron has stated that Netflix was the only company that would produce Roma. Several big-name directors (Martin Scorsese, Joel & Ethan Coen, Steven Soderbergh, Susanne Bier) have all said the same thing.

Amazon Studios is offering more creative freedom and risk-taking than the traditionals studios, as well.

That worries me on two counts. First, I do not get Netflix, nor am I really interested in doing so. And I don't want the day to come when I'll be forced to get it or miss out on all the interesting new movies.

Second, - this relates to the second sentence above - I suppose it's coming, but I really think it will be a shame, a very sad thing, if it comes to the point where new movies simply aren't available to see in a cinema, on a big screen. I still like to "go to the movies", I still like to see films this way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 10:05 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

(pss- THOSE DRAPES really are ugly tho) 

Are they the ones Gloria Grahame bought fabric for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

That worries me on two counts. First, I do not get Netflix, nor am I really interested in doing so. And I don't want the day to come when I'll be forced to get it or miss out on all the interesting new movies.

Second, - this relates to the second sentence above - I suppose it's coming, but I really think it will be a shame, a very sad thing, if it comes to the point where new movies simply aren't available to see in a cinema, on a big screen. I still like to "go to the movies", I still like to see films this way. 

I understand and empathize with you. It's a shame that so many filmmakers have to go to the streaming services to find backing. Those living in NYC or LA still get to see most of these on a big screen if they wish, but the rest make do at home.

On that note, it's not such a change for me since, living in a small town with one 6-screen theater, I don't get most of the smaller movies anyway, only the biggest releases. A friend of mine recently lamented that our theater should be renamed a children's theater, as all that we seem to get are animated films, superhero movies, or family features. 

I've tried to replicate the theater at home, via a very large screen HD-TV, with surround sound speakers placed around the room, and the theater room being blacked out unless I turn on a light. Personally, I've never gotten much from seeing movies with a crowd, so I don't miss the other people, although I'll occasionally have a friend or family member over to watch something.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Are they the ones Gloria Grahame bought fabric for?

No, they're the ones Vivien Leigh made a dress out of.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're the curtains that aren't available in Canada.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

U.S. actors accuse Oscar body of intimidation over awards presenters

LOS ANGELES, Jan 14 (Reuters) - The largest actors union in the United States on Monday accused the organizers of the Oscars of trying to intimidate celebrities not to present at rival award shows.

In an unprecedented statement, the Screen Actors Guild (SAG-AFTRA) accused the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences of "graceless pressure tactics."

The 160,000-member union said it was responding to widespread reports in Hollywood that the Academy was pressuring actors not to appear or present at award ceremonies other than the Oscars, which take place on Feb. 24.

The SAG statement was issued as the Academy is still without a host for the Oscars just six weeks ahead of the ceremony and is looking for big name presenters to draw in viewers.

Organizers of the Oscars, the last in a long round of award shows and red carpets in January and February, are trying to revamp the show after ratings for the most prestigious honors in the movie business hit an all-time low in 2018.

The Academy on Monday did not respond to a request for comment on SAG's statement, which was released two weeks before actors hold their own SAG awards show in Los Angeles on Jan. 26.

SAG said it had received "multiple reports" of pressure from the Academy, as well as experiencing first-hand what it called "attempts to control the awards show talent pipeline."

"The apparent attempt by the Academy to keep our members from presenting on their own awards show is utterly outrageous and unacceptable," SAG said in a statement.

"Actors should be free to accept any offer to participate in industry celebrations," it added, describing the Academy's tactics as "self-serving intimidation."

The Oscars look set to go ahead without a host for only the second time in its 91-year history after comedian Kevin Hart dropped out last month two days after being announced when past anti-gay tweets surfaced. A brief attempt to bring him back, championed by comedian Ellen DeGeneres, failed earlier this month and no replacement has been announced.

The U.S. television audience for the 2018 Oscars hit an all-time low of 26.5 million viewers, prompting the Academy to pledge to shorten the show by about 30 minutes to three hours and to hand out some awards during commercial breaks.

Nominations for the 2019 Oscars will be announced on Jan 22. (Reporting by Jill Serjeant Editing by Marguerita Choy)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-actors-accuse-oscar-body-202207795.html

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fxreyman said:

Lorna, hate to say this, but is that not Maggie Smith you included a photo of? It would seem that she did win an Oscar the same year the Duke won his. Maggie was nominated six times for an Oscar, winning in 1969 for The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and again for her supporting role in 1978's California Suite. 

In fact, not to show off or anything, but believe that IS California Suite in the picture?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Winter Light. Though I personally don't have much interest in the silence of God

theme, it is also an interesting character study and a look at the claustrophobic environment

of what I presume is a very small town. And the tiny attendance at the church always

makes me chuckle, though I doubt that was Bergman's intent. I suppose in a way it's a

mite pretentious, but in the main it's a rather stark and unadorned look at a certain way

of life and the people who live it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, EricJ said:

In fact, not to show off or anything, but believe that IS California Suite in the picture?

Yes, it is. And the line was in the movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2019 at 4:52 PM, LawrenceA said:

U.S. actors accuse Oscar body of intimidation over awards presenters

LOS ANGELES, Jan 14 (Reuters) - The largest actors union in the United States on Monday accused the organizers of the Oscars of trying to intimidate celebrities not to present at rival award shows.

In an unprecedented statement, the Screen Actors Guild (SAG-AFTRA) accused the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences of "graceless pressure tactics."

The 160,000-member union said it was responding to widespread reports in Hollywood that the Academy was pressuring actors not to appear or present at award ceremonies other than the Oscars, which take place on Feb. 24.

The SAG statement was issued as the Academy is still without a host for the Oscars just six weeks ahead of the ceremony and is looking for big name presenters to draw in viewers.

Organizers of the Oscars, the last in a long round of award shows and red carpets in January and February, are trying to revamp the show after ratings for the most prestigious honors in the movie business hit an all-time low in 2018.

The Academy on Monday did not respond to a request for comment on SAG's statement, which was released two weeks before actors hold their own SAG awards show in Los Angeles on Jan. 26.

SAG said it had received "multiple reports" of pressure from the Academy, as well as experiencing first-hand what it called "attempts to control the awards show talent pipeline."

"The apparent attempt by the Academy to keep our members from presenting on their own awards show is utterly outrageous and unacceptable," SAG said in a statement.

"Actors should be free to accept any offer to participate in industry celebrations," it added, describing the Academy's tactics as "self-serving intimidation."

The Oscars look set to go ahead without a host for only the second time in its 91-year history after comedian Kevin Hart dropped out last month two days after being announced when past anti-gay tweets surfaced. A brief attempt to bring him back, championed by comedian Ellen DeGeneres, failed earlier this month and no replacement has been announced.

The U.S. television audience for the 2018 Oscars hit an all-time low of 26.5 million viewers, prompting the Academy to pledge to shorten the show by about 30 minutes to three hours and to hand out some awards during commercial breaks.

Nominations for the 2019 Oscars will be announced on Jan 22. (Reporting by Jill Serjeant Editing by Marguerita Choy)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-actors-accuse-oscar-body-202207795.html

 

How ridiculous! They must be really hard up. Pathetic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 5:12 PM, misswonderly3 said:

Interesting the way you know other people's minds, Eric. Or think you do. I did not "leap on the foreign thing for quick Merkan-culture bashing", I merely was pointing out that a lot of people - and to be honest, a lot of Canadians, too, it's not just an American thing - are automatically put off at the idea of watching a film that's not in English, especially if they have to read sub-titles. I was just saying, this is too bad, because there are a lot of really good foreign films out there.

Also,  you know what? I really disliked Tree of Life; thought it was a bit pretentious, dull, and in some parts, silly. And I thought Boyhood was hugely over-rated. I don't automatically laud "indie" or "foreign" films, I just don't assume that they're all the same.

Also...so much for offering you an olive branch. In my last post to you, I agreed with quite a bit of what you said, and concluded by apologizing for sometimes being "grouchy and disagreeable " to you. Clearly that didn't cut any ice with EricJ.

Tree of Life. 3 hours I'll never get back........

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:24 PM, LawrenceA said:

I understand and empathize with you. It's a shame that so many filmmakers have to go to the streaming services to find backing. Those living in NYC or LA still get to see most of these on a big screen if they wish, but the rest make do at home.

On that note, it's not such a change for me since, living in a small town with one 6-screen theater, I don't get most of the smaller movies anyway, only the biggest releases. A friend of mine recently lamented that our theater should be renamed a children's theater, as all that we seem to get are animated films, superhero movies, or family features. 

I've tried to replicate the theater at home, via a very large screen HD-TV, with surround sound speakers placed around the room, and the theater room being blacked out unless I turn on a light. Personally, I've never gotten much from seeing movies with a crowd, so I don't miss the other people, although I'll occasionally have a friend or family member over to watch something.

Lawrence, did you see STAN & OLLIE?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shannon said:

Lawrence, did you see STAN & OLLIE?

No, not yet. I want to, though, as I've heard it's excellent, and I like both Reilly and Coogan.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hibi said:

Tree of Life. 3 hours I'll never get back........

Okay, I'll cite the same Bugs Bunny quote I used every other time I heard some easily impressed Criterion fan rapture over Terrence Malick's "vision":

thislife04.jpg

"Tell us your story from the beginning:"
 "Well, in the beginning, the volcanoes were erupting, the earth was forming!...Then, in a little pool, two tiny amoeba--"
"No, no, that's TOO far back!"

😄

(And Honest Trailers already did the joke about Boyhood, ie. that we already had a movie where we got to watch the young cast grow up into teen years as they were filmed in real time over the course of ten years--Namely, the Harry Potter movies.)

Btw, was it Gene Siskel who first officially coined the "Hours of your life you'll never get back" phrase, or does anyone remember an earlier usage before 1978-81?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

No, not yet. I want to, though, as I've heard it's excellent, and I like both Reilly and Coogan.

I wanted to see Stan & Ollie too.  Has it already come and gone from the theaters? It doesn't even seem to be showing in any of Portland's theaters that show more independent films. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I wanted to see Stan & Ollie too.  Has it already come and gone from the theaters? It doesn't even seem to be showing in any of Portland's theaters that show more independent films. 

It looks like it had a limited release on December 28. 

I never expected to come around my way, theatrically. I knew I'd have to wait for home video of some sort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I wanted to see Stan & Ollie too.  Has it already come and gone from the theaters? It doesn't even seem to be showing in any of Portland's theaters that show more independent films. 

I think it's getting a very slow release. Hasnt opened here either. Probably waiting till Oscar noms come out next week......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

It looks like it had a limited release on December 28. 

I never expected to come around my way, theatrically. I knew I'd have to wait for home video of some sort.

It'll probably be up online before it even hits theaters. :lol: I checked Netflix to see if it had anything. Gosh, it really irritates me how they'll have the trailer for something but not the actual feature. I could get the trailer from YouTube! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I have noticed is at least in some film circles this year, very hostile reactions to many of the year's seeming nominees, especially Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, and A Star is Born.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CinemaInternational said:

One thing I have noticed is at least in some film circles this year, very hostile reactions to many of the year's seeming nominees, especially Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, and A Star is Born.

Yeah, I've noticed this, too. For the last couple of decades, there's been varying levels of shade thrown at the various nominees, reportedly backed by the various publicity firms. It wasn't enough to campaign for a film, they also started campaigning against other films. Recall various backlashes against A Beautiful Mind for not being truthful enough, or against one or more of the film's cast & crew (Roman Polanski and The Pianist, Casey Affleck and Manchester By the Sea, etc.).

But this year it seems even more hostile. I think it's a mix of the general tribal-mentality hostility infecting every part of the public discourse, mixed with #METOO advocates and other social justice groups, and the backlash against those things, all fueled by social media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, I've noticed this, too. For the last couple of decades, there's been varying levels of shade thrown at the various nominees, reportedly backed by the various publicity firms. It wasn't enough to campaign for a film, they also started campaigning against other films. Recall various backlashes against A Beautiful Mind for not being truthful enough, or against one or more of the film's cast & crew (Roman Polanski and The Pianist, Casey Affleck and Manchester By the Sea, etc.).

But this year it seems even more hostile. I think it's a mix of the general tribal-mentality hostility infecting every part of the public discourse, mixed with #METOO advocates and other social justice groups, and the backlash against those things, all fueled by social media.

Yep, all, AND of course how it's become known that "going negative" works whenever balloting is involved in any process.

(...otherwise known as either the "Lee Atwater or Karl Rove Method", and which predates any of those present movements you've mentioned here)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, I've noticed this, too. For the last couple of decades, there's been varying levels of shade thrown at the various nominees, reportedly backed by the various publicity firms. It wasn't enough to campaign for a film, they also started campaigning against other films. Recall various backlashes against A Beautiful Mind for not being truthful enough, or against one or more of the film's cast & crew (Roman Polanski and The Pianist, Casey Affleck and Manchester By the Sea, etc.).

But this year it seems even more hostile. I think it's a mix of the general tribal-mentality hostility infecting every part of the public discourse, mixed with #METOO advocates and other social justice groups, and the backlash against those things, all fueled by social media.

Last year it was Three Billboards and Darkest Hour, back in 2014 it was Imitation Game and Theory of Everything, 2013 was American Hustle. Billboards aside, I usually end up thinking what was all the backbiting over?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us