Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Is the upcoming Irish on Film series too ethnocentric?

31 posts in this topic

For four weeks in March TCM will be looking at Irish-themed films. Obviously to coincide with St. Patty's Day celebrations. 

screen-shot-2019-01-10-at-5.51.19-am.jpe

Will there be a series later in the year to celebrate Oktoberfest called Germans on Film? Followed by Russians on Film (cold war movies) and Italians on Film (mafia movies)...? You get the idea.

They had the Asian focus back about 10 years ago, and i also know they had the immigrant experience around 2012 or 2013, so maybe there will be more nationalities in the future.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

If it makes you feel any better, it will probably never be repeated.

What makes you say this? I don't "feel" one way or the other about it. I'm Irish American (part, not full-blooded), and I think it will be interesting to see films on the schedule that focus on Irish characters and situations. However, this does seem like an extended St. Patty's Day marathon.

I would choose stronger films for this series. I believe IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER (1993) is an essential if you're going to do a month-long retrospective on the Irish.

Are they going to play John Ford's THE INFORMER 1935,which was about the Irish rebellion of 1922 that eventually brought forth  Irish Independence. The Informer is a great Ford film (that made Ford's reputation as a serious director) that is virtually forgotten.

To me it is a very legit to wonder and what TCM's motive was for this film series.   

E.g. was it done to balance all the other series that celebrated films from other 'groups'. 

Either way,  I doubt I'll be watching much.   I have seen most of the really good Irish themed films,  and generally I'm not very interested in these 'my people' type films.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

To me it is a very legit to wonder and what TCM's motive was for this film series.   

E.g. was it done to balance all the other series that celebrated films from other 'groups'. 

Either way,  I doubt I'll be watching much.   I have seen most of the really good Irish themed films,  and generally I'm not very interested in these 'my people' type films.   

Yeah, JAMES?!

Well, I'll bet if TCM ever shows a series of movies that features a half Japanese/half Caucasian lead character in 'em YOU'D be glued to YOUR TV set, dude!!!

(...but then again, right off-hand I can't think of any at the moment)

;)

• Haha 2

I have no objection to Irish-themed movies in March. Maybe they'll show The Dead, one of the great films of all time; certainly John Huston's best film. They should have shown it earlier this week, since it takes place on January 6, on Epiphany. I'd also like to see The Last Hurrah again -- one of John Ford's great films. So many great films to choose from.

• Like 2

It may help to list the movies scheduled to air as part of the spotlight, in primetime Sundays in March:

• Top O' the Morning (1949)
  • Peg O' My Heart (1933)
  • The Quiet Man (1952)
  • The Rising of the Moon (1957)
  • Shake Hands with the Devil (1959)
  • Odd Man Out (1947)
  • The Last Hurrah (1958)
  • The Irish in Us (1935)
  • Thanks 1

Although I'm always happy to see The Last Hurrah (a film which is as much a last hurrah of the old Hollywood as it is of Frank Skeffington), that is a pretty lame list. I guess someone said, let's doing something Irish, so they grabbed the usual subjects off the shelf. 

They could have been more imaginative and programmed Passages from Finnegan's Wake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

It may help to list the movies scheduled to air as part of the spotlight, in primetime Sundays in March:

• Peg O' My Heart (1933)
  • The Quiet Man (1952)
  • Odd Man Out (1947)
  • The Last Hurrah (1958)
  • The Irish in Us (1935)

WHAT?! No Tear Gas Squad here???

(...now how in the heck can they call this whole thing "Irish" without at least showing Dennis Morgan singing away in that great tenor voice of his, "When Irish Eyes Are Smilin'" and "You, You Darlin'", I ask!)

• Like 2

Top o' the Morning appears to be a premiere. I can't really say it's something I've been clamoring to see, though.

220px-Top_o'_the_Morning_Poster.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

:o

WHAT!?!

No GOING MY WAY???  ;)

I too, growing up kinda resented the whole "Kiss me, I'm Irish" and " the wearin' of the green" on St. Patrick's Day, thinking it would be fair(in my mind  ;) ) for everyone to wear red and white on ST. STANISLAUS Day! every April 11th.  ;) to the point I seriously considered having a T-shirt made up that read, "Bite me, I'm Polish!" :D

Sepiatone

• Haha 6

TOO ethnocentric? :o

It can't be had both ways. SJW trends today lean towards effacing ethnicity and regionality; frantically ignoring differences (skin color, education, religion, upbringing, and background); making everyone androgynous and history-less, all so that "barriers can be torn down" and 'group vs group' goes away. On the other hand, this removes people's identity which the same frowzy PC crowd agrees 'should be preserved'. Well, which do we want?

I say that in order to reap the benefit of any value, you have to put in some effort to preserve it. For example, if you want a civil society with law and order, you have to agree to a police force and a justice system. A little strife between Americans, is a trade-off of us all possessing uniqueness and tradition. Me, I don't want a faceless society.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

10TH OF MARCH

• Peg O' My Heart (1933)

17TH OF MARCH

• The Quiet Man (1952)

24TH OF MARCH

• Odd Man Out (1947)

31ST OF MARCH

• The Last Hurrah (1958)
  • The Irish in Us (1935)

Thanks Larry. I've added the dates to your previous post, if that's okay! Also the 17th has a morning and afternoon of Irish-themed titles:

screen-shot-2019-01-12-at-7.11.29-am.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, at least Odd Man Out, Shake Hands With the Devil, and The Last Hurrah are definitely worth watching, and so is The Quiet Man if I can fast forward through all the scenes not including Maureen O'Hara.

Hungry Hill has one great sequence, a dance in an Anglo-Irish manor, and Young Cassidy has a ton of great actors, and you get to see the young (and very beautiful) Maggie Smith in a serious romantic role.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kingrat said:

Well, at least Odd Man Out, Shake Hands With the Devil, and The Last Hurrah are definitely worth watching, and so is The Quiet Man if I can fast forward through all the scenes not including Maureen O'Hara.

Hungry Hill has one great sequence, a dance in an Anglo-Irish manor, and Young Cassidy has a ton of great actors, and you get to see the young (and very beautiful) Maggie Smith in a serious romantic role.

Most of these films air every March on TCM. 

I like HUNGRY HILL...and of course ODD MAN OUT is a classic.

20 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

They had the Asian focus back about 10 years ago, and i also know they had the immigrant experience around 2012 or 2013, so maybe there will be more nationalities in the future.

They did one for Native Americans too a few years ago, I think. Unfortunately they didn't show the cheesy Lone Ranger movie with Michael Horse. :lol: 

michael+horse+noose.jpg

18 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, JAMES?!

Well, I'll bet if TCM ever shows a series of movies that features a half Japanese/half Caucasian lead character in 'em YOU'D be glued to YOUR TV set, dude!!!

(...but then again, right off-hand I can't think of any at the moment)

;)

Hey, I'm not that limited.  I would watch a tribute based on The Courtship of Eddie's Father (the T.V. Show).

That show reflected my upbringing more than any other show (ha ha).

22 hours ago, arpirose said:

Are they going to play John Ford's THE INFORMER 1935,which was about the Irish rebellion of 1922 that eventually brought forth  Irish Independence. The Informer is a great Ford film (that made Ford's reputation as a serious director) that is virtually forgotten.

Partial Irish independence :). Nothing wrong with Irish themed films, as long as no one is

forced to eat corned beef and cabbage. 

• Like 1

I found I See a Dark Stranger to be a revelation, since it didn't have Hollywood's doe-eyed view of the Southern Irish.

My grandmother was of Irish descent, and I can't stand the whole "Kiss me I'm Irish" et al. shtick.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Notice too, THE FIGHTING SULLIVANS got snubbed.  

Sepiatone

I believe that title is in the public domain. So it easily could have been included.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fedya said:

I found I See a Dark Stranger to be a revelation, since it didn't have Hollywood's doe-eyed view of the Southern Irish.

My grandmother was of Irish descent, and I can't stand the whole "Kiss me I'm Irish" et al. shtick.

Well in that case Fedya, how would you feel about somethin' like: "Bite me, I'm Polish"???

(...'cause if ya like THAT one, I know a guy in Michigan who might go hafsies with ya on a run of T-shirts with THAT on 'em!) ;)

• Haha 1