misswonderly3

NOW I'M REALLY MAD ! ! !

157 posts in this topic

"Well King, you did it again, boy. Thanks to you ...I think this case is closed."

sergeant-preston-of-the-yukon-the-case-o

• Like 2

If I recall correctly here Sarge, my Sergeant Preston of the Yukon book as a kid was this one...

cb1111a7a.jpg

OH, and btw, and in keeping with this whole RCMP theme here, one of my favorite old F-Troop episodes was always this one...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hutz said:

i know your pain

I keep a running list of movies I've been screwed out of seeing.

some show up on premium channels up here which may interfere with their availability but it's frustrating when they're movies you've been keeping an eye out for

it doesn't help that the canadian schedule goes up weeks or even months after the american one

I saw the thin man movies about three years ago but they've been switched out ever since.

Meet John Doe has also been blacked out here recently

a few others that I've never been able to see on tcm canada include:

Arsenic and Old Lace

Random Harvest

Diabolique

Rififi

The Steel Helmet

Peeping Tom

Foreign Correspondent

The Ladykillers

Le Samourai

Le Cercle Rouge

The Small Back Room

World on a Wire

to name but a few

Right, hutz, I recognize a lot of titles on that list as movies that are not currently available to see in Canada when aired on TCM.  It makes no sense. 

One example: Foreign Correspondent. I really like this Hitchcock film, and I like Joel McCrea. Fortunately for me, I own it - l've had a DVD of it for years. But yes, I have noticed that every time it's broadcast on TCM, it's replaced with something else in Canada. It's hard to understand this, because as far as I know, pretty much every other Hitchcock film is available in Canada, and is screened here as well as the States whenever TCM has a Hitchcock film on their schedule. But not Foreign Correspondent. Why not?

Also - several of the films on your list (Arsenic and Old Lace, Random Harvest, and The Ladykillers, possibly more) have been aired in Canada from TCM in the past. One year I might be able to tune in to TCM and see Diabolique, the next year, it's blocked. This inconsistent, on-and-off availability of movies that are allowed to be broadcast in Canada -or not - suggests a certain chaos in the whole realm of "film rights" and international borders. It all seems to be in a constant state of flux.

ps: I'll tell you one film you left off that list, and it drives me crazy that it doesn't seem to have the "rights" to be aired in Canada: The Third Man. And yet, I just know, I saw that very film on TCM years ago.  What the frig?.....

21 hours ago, Fedya said:

I'm saving you from the onslaught of evil American culture.

As the saying goes, Ice hockey is Canada's #1 national sport.  Canada's #2 international sport is USA-bashing.

Well, there's so much to bash.

Sorry, that was very rude and uncalled for. You know what? There's also so much to celebrate. I love the States, and as soon as things go back to normal there, I'm planning to go on a few road trips, there are so many fascinating American places to visit. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I think it's absurd that these films aren't available in Canada.  Canada, the United States and Mexico are all part of North America.  Why does only part of the continent receive the scheduled programming? It's silly.  I also agree with you that it's absurd that there are still rights issues with 70-80 year old movies.  Who's hanging onto the rights? How much money are they really making from them? I can see if the film in question were something like The Wizard of Oz or something like that that is enmeshed with pop culture, but I doubt that is the case with something like Lured

On the flipside, there was a week or so where my Dish was randomly showing the Canadian TCM schedule (I have no idea why) and I was disappointed, because there was an Errol Flynn movie scheduled that I hadn't seen and when I selected it, another movie started in its place.  I looked up the TCM schedule online and that's when I determined it was the Canadian schedule showing on my guide. 

I'm curious, on TCM, when a Primetime movie is replaced, does another movie just casually air in its place without an introduction? 

Yes. Another movie is shown, usually calculated to fit the same time slot as the one being aired in the States. Sometimes it will have some kind of similarity to the one being blocked in Canada, sometimes not. Also, in answer to your question, you're right, the replacement film is "just casually aired", there's no acknowledgement that there's been a switch, never mind an explanation why. And of course, Canadians also miss out on any host comments.

By that I mean. even if I don't get to see whatever's airing in the States, sometimes I'd still like to hear what Ben M. or Eddie Muller or whoever might have to say about the film, even if I can't see it. But I don't even get that.

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Well, there's so much to bash.

The funny Canadians come down to the US to make a success of themselves in the entertainment industry.  The rest stay behind and complain about what an awful place the US is.  :P

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TomJH said:

Sam The Record Man in Toronto (the biggest record store in the city and a retail legend, now long gone unfortunately)

WAH!😫

What about The Silver Snail?

17 hours ago, Vautrin said:

O Canada!

Hmm. My favourite songs on "Fear of Music " are "Life During Wartime" and "Heaven". But if you're trying to say I'm paranoid, a better choice might have been "Drugs".

So, you're saying either I'm crazy or paranoid or both. (I think.) But why is it either to be upset that there's such a snarl around the rights issues of old movies that I and everyone else who lives in Canada misses out on many interesting and sometimes rare films that you Americans get to see? I guess I do have one thing in common with the narrator of "Animals"...I think the situation is getting worse.

8 minutes ago, Fedya said:

The funny Canadians come down to the US to make a success of themselves in the entertainment industry.  The rest stay behind and complain about what an awful place the US is.  :P

Hey, you're  not being fair. You only quoted the first part of my comment. Which was actually just a joke, in response to your original post. Isn't this called "quoting out of context"?

The second part of my post, which you chose not to include in your quote, was this:

18 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Sorry, that was very rude and uncalled for. You know what? There's also so much to celebrate. I love the States, and as soon as things go back to normal there, I'm planning to go on a few road trips, there are so many fascinating American places to visit.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

WAH!😫

What about The Silver Snail?

The Silver Snail closed its doors on Queen Street a couple of years ago, relocating to Yonge Street just a little south of where Sam used to be. The new establishment, though, is tiny and doesn't have as much stock as they used to. I found the Queen Street store fun to go into while the new one on Yonge (on a second floor, you have to walk up some stairs from the street to get to it) makes me feel claustrophobic.

All these years later and I still miss Sam the Record Man. It was a great store even if it was old and had leaks from the ceiling whenever it rained. At least there is a version of Silver Snail still around.

Right across the street from Sam was Sunrise Records. The manager, Stan (a great guy) made a point of securing access to all kinds of rare old films on DVD. He had a wall devoted to Warners Archives alone, as well as Fox Archives. That store, unfortunately, closed in 2014 when the landlord tripled the rent for the new owner of the store.

I miss Sunrise Records and Stan (who had some great anecdotes about movies, sports, politics and anything you could think of) as much as I do Sam the Record Man. The death of the many bricks and mortar stores is quite depressing.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

Okay Vautrin. While I like David Byrne as much as the next guy, don't ya think that was just a little too rockin' for this late in the evening?

And so may I suggest the following tribute to our neighbors(or as they say "neighbours") to the north instead...

(...now I ask you...wasn't THIS just a little more "soothing" for such a late hour?...nighty night...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

Oh dear. Shirley the stereotype of Canada isn't that boring to our Southern neighbours? That sounded like my idea of Guy Lombardo- wait ! ohmygod  - Guy Lombardo was Canadian !

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Oh dear. Shirley the stereotype of Canada isn't that boring to our Southern neighbours? That sounded like my idea of Guy Lombardo- wait ! ohmygod  - Guy Lombardo was Canadian !

Watch it, MissW. I like this music! But then I'm Canadian.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

There is a Canadian movie that I wish TCM would show here in the States, It was called "Goin' Down The Road" (1970). I heard it's kind of a cult classic there in Canada. SCTV did a very funny spoof of it on their show.

Have you seen this one? Has it been on TCM in Canada?

Well, thank you for knowing about that film, Det. McLeod. Yes, I've seen it. But only because I borrowed it from the library. Although it's a well-known and respected Canadian movie (well, in certain circles), it's probably pretty much as obscure and hard-to-find here as it must be in the States.

But - - if you can get a hold of it somehow, I'd say it was pretty darn good. A bit depressing, and not for all tastes, but good.

Oh, and no, as far as I'm aware, it's never been aired on TCM, here or in the US of A. (And knowing how arbitrary and bizarre some of these rights issues seem to be, I wouldn't be surprpised if one day TCM aired it in the US and blocked it in Canada...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Watch it, MissW. I like this music! But then I'm Canadian.

So, Tom, I was hoping you'd read this thread, being as you are one of my confreres here. What do you think about the way so many TCM airings are blocked in Canada? (please don't say you don't mind, you just put on a Guy Lombardo record and pour yourself a glass of bagged milk.)

edit: sorry, Tom,  I see you've already posted here before. Don't know how I missed it. (Yeah, remember Sam the Record Man? And right next door to them A and A records. And across the street, Fran's.)

7 hours ago, fxreyman said:

I have a better idea Miss W, why don't we just invade Canada? I am sure the great military force of the US could simply overwhelm the Canadian military in a few days and viola! You would be able to see all of the movies we currently can see here in the good old USofA and you would never have to complain again.

You can put this idea to your president, he might go for it. Or, he might try building a wall at the Canadian border.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

So, Tom, I was hoping you'd read this thread, being as you are one of my confreres here. What do you think about the way so many TCM airings are blocked in Canada? (please don't say you don't mind, you just put on a Guy Lombardo record and pour yourself a glass of bagged milk.)

That comment sounds suspiciously like another knock on Canadian Sunset! Think I'll have me a sip of milk in a bag as I mull over your continued dismissal of this musical nostalgia favourite of my childhood.

I've become a bit immune, to be honest with you, over the TCM films that don't make it into Canada. Oh, I ranted and raved about it in the past and created a thread or two not unlike this one about it. But what can you do about it? Maybe the ranting serves as a bit of a release, but that's about it, I'm afraid.

Now I'm just putting on Canadian Sunset as I mellow out while slurping some of the cold white stuff from a bag. My indignant warrior days over the insanity and frustration of copy rights preventing Canadians from seeing some films are become more a thing of the past.

But keep up the good fight, MissW, I fully understand your frustration over it. We still can't get Hal Roach in Canada, among other things (though once in a rare while one will sneak through). I had to go out and make some major Laurel and Hardy purchases on DVD to compensate for that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Hmm. My favourite songs on "Fear of Music " are "Life During Wartime" and "Heaven". But if you're trying to say I'm paranoid, a better choice might have been "Drugs".

So, you're saying either I'm crazy or paranoid or both. (I think.) But why is it either to be upset that there's such a snarl around the rights issues of old movies that I and everyone else who lives in Canada misses out on many interesting and sometimes rare films that you Americans get to see? I guess I do have one thing in common with the narrator of "Animals"...I think the situation is getting worse.

I only posted the song because of its opening lyric, I'm mad and that's a fact. The rest of the

song really has nothing to do with it. Animals is not one of my favorites on Fear of Music.

I prefer the two you mentioned plus Electric Guitar and Paper. I've always liked the cover too,

with the metal grate motif, which is raised on the vinyl release. I'm not sure why certain movies

aren't shown in Canada, unless it's another one of those notorious rights issues. OTOH, TCM

is mainly meant for real Americans. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, fxreyman said:

I have a better idea Miss W, why don't we just invade Canada? I am sure the great military force of the US could simply overwhelm the Canadian military in a few days and viola! You would be able to see all of the movies we currently can see here in the good old USofA and you would never have to complain again.

We tried that in 1812. Didn't work out so well.

13 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

You can put this idea to your president, he might go for it. Or, he might try building a wall at the Canadian border.

Maybe this new film will get clearance up there ?

1477593759_g0l3zrhhq7a21(copy)-1.thumb.jpg.7c65b32a5d0423a3da68ecbceaf9121b.jpg

• Haha 5

On 1/13/2019 at 5:51 PM, misswonderly3 said:

Yes, this thread is nothing but a vent-ful hissy fit. I know I've complained about this many times before, but really, THIS IS TOO MUCH !

Miss W., I think you need to remember your words expressed in another thread:

"I think it's that very attitude that's causing a lot of the divisiveness  and uncompromising attitudes in the world right now.  Too much anger."

I think what TCM decides to show (or not show) in Canada doesn't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. 😀

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Of course you guys do have the Mounties to protect you from any American, orange led invasion. :lol: 

• Haha 4

"She's miffed. She's irked. She's piqued. She's vexed. She's being repressed by unfair limits found in the world around her..." --line from "Metzger's Dog"

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fxreyman said:

If I remember my history correctly, the James Madison administration already tried that (several times) and failed miserably in each ill conceived and missmanaged attempt.
In fact, with much hubris, there were many war hawks in those days that made practically the same claims, that Canada would be easily overwhelmed by U.S. military might and become a possession within a very short time.
The Canadians were horribly outnumbered but not out-generaled and defeated their numerically superior southern neighbors at each incursion into their territory.
There had been many who believed that U.S. forces would be welcomed as "liberators" against the heavy hand of British rule. However "our" vain efforts only succeeded in uniting Canadians as never before against a common foe and provided the previously estranged "Kanucks" with unified pride and a new found sense of "Canadian" identity!
It seems that the one thing many Canadians loathed more than British rule was American domination.
And "we" discovered the hard learned lesson taught the King's men during "our" revolution... to "never underestimate the tenacity of persons defending their homeland." :rolleyes:

On 1/13/2019 at 4:51 PM, misswonderly3 said:

Maybe I'll have to just move to the States, this is getting worse all the time.

I've often contemplated making the Canadian north my home. Even at my now advancing age I still possess useful skill-sets and could yet provide many productive years of service. I am still in good health and would not pose an immediate drain upon the Canadian health care system. Though my French is not great I do speak and write English passably well (and have no problem inserting those superfluous "U's"). :)
And I love the wide open expanses of the north country and have always found most Canadians to be quite hospitable to strangers in their land.
But.... now that I am aware of the limitations of TCM "service" to our northern neighbors, I am beginning to have second thoughts about permanently migrating north... I mean, really, A Life Without TCM? That's something quite hard to contemplate isn't it? -_-     ;)

EDIT
Whoops, I see that Gerald already beat me to that point, and much more succiently than my many unnecessary words.

9 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

We tried that in 1812. Didn't work out so well.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Miss W., I think you need to remember your words expressed in another thread:

"I think it's that very attitude that's causing a lot of the divisiveness  and uncompromising attitudes in the world right now.  Too much anger."

I think what TCM decides to show (or not show) in Canada doesn't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. 😀

Swithin, although I'm quoting your post, I could have quoted any number of posts people have written here in response to this thread topic. But yours' is pretty typical.

First: There's a bit of a smug, bemused, condescending attitude on the part of a lot of those who've responded here (not all of you, for sure). My thread has been seen as an opportunity to make obvious Canadian stereotype jokes (ok, I'm used to that, and Canadians are not exactly an underprivileged people, so no point getting upset over the stereotypes, except to say that if you've seen one Mountie joke, you've seen them all, and they weren't very funny in the first place.)

It's also been seen as an opportunity to remind me that, as things to get upset about , my complaint here is pretty low on the list. Maybe what used to be described as a "first world problem", like getting mad that your favourite flavour of Doritos isn't available at your local variety store, something like that. "Poor MissW, she just has to find something meaningless to complain about..."

To which I say, I suspect some of you, especially if you are hard core movie fans, who seek out rare or recently discovered old films, would be equally disappointed if you found that films you're interested in seeing were consistently refused you, simply because of where you live. Especially when such films are broadcast elsewhere, in the country right next door to you. Is it a "first world problem" of little significance? Of course. 

I'd also say that it looks like most people haven't actually read my entire first post. I explain that, yes, I've come to expect many films aired in the States to be blocked in Canada. That in itself wasn't what prompted me to start this thread. It was the fact that, even a TCM original documentary was being blocked. This isn't a movie I'm talking about, it's one of those "TCM Presents" things. Tonight, at 8, "TCM Presents" is showing a doc about two of my favourite "classic era" actors, James Stewart and Robert Mitchum.

What prompted me to start this thread wasn't so much another lamentation about blocking films to Canada, it was surprise and disappointment that even something like a TCM original doc is blocked. How come?

Which brings me to the final point I want to make here: One reason I started this thread was to see if anyone on these boards has any idea why all this "rights" business goes on all the time. Who are these mysterious people who own the rights to these old movies,that aren't going to make much money anymore anyway? Why does it keep changing ? (like, one year I'll be able to see "Random Harvest" on TCM, the next I won't. What the frig??)

Why is it so difficult to sort all this out, and why does it seem to be so much worse, so much more complicated, than it was even 5 years ago?

I was just sort of hoping someone might have some answers to these questions and could help me understand this a little better. After they'd made a few jokes about Mounties and hockey, of course.

• Like 2