misswonderly3

NOW I'M REALLY MAD ! ! !

157 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

OTOH, TCM

is mainly meant for real Americans. :)

Well, not so sure about that. I've often managed to find TCM being broadcast in many (well a few anyway) distant lands.
But on second thought, perhaps those TCM broadcasts were magnanimously meant for estranged expat "Americans" habitating within those lands??? ;)

19 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I was just sort of hoping someone might have some answers to these questions and could help me understand this a little better. After they'd made a few jokes about Mounties and hockey, of course.

I travel to London a fair amount. TCM has a channel there. I think that It's inferior to our TCM.

Maybe the problem is that the Canadian TCM is pretty much the same as the US TCM, so that in those cases when the programming is different, it's upsetting. Maybe you should consider TCM in Canada as a channel that has mostly the same programming but isn't 100% the same.

https://www.tcmuk.tv

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I'd also say that it looks like most people haven't actually read my entire first post. I explain that, yes, I've come to expect many films aired in the States to be blocked in Canada. That in itself wasn't what prompted me to start this thread. It was the fact that, even a TCM original documentary was being blocked. This isn't a movie I'm talking about, it's one of those "TCM Presents" things. Tonight, at 8, "TCM Presents" is showing a doc about two of my favourite "classic era" actors, James Stewart and Robert Mitchum.

What prompted me to start this thread wasn't so much another lamentation about blocking films to Canada, it was surprise and disappointment that even something like a TCM original doc is blocked. How come?

The "TCM Presents" indicator on the schedule does not mean that the documentary is something TCM produced. For example, on the schedule for the 18th of January, the "TCM Presents" logo appears for Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker, which was made and released in 1981. The TCM schedule makers seem to use the "TCM Presents" to denote a premiere, although it doesn't appear to be entirely accurate, according to the resident record-keepers around here.

James Stewart, Robert Mitchum: The Two Faces of America was an independently produced film that TCM had to license just like most every other movie.

BTW, it was available last year on FilmStruck. :( 

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Why is it so difficult to sort all this out, and why does it seem to be so much worse, so much more complicated, than it was even 5 years ago?

I was just sort of hoping someone might have some answers to these questions and could help me understand this a little better.

I can't explain all of the convoluted intricacies of "how" such things are, but the simple "why" answer of course is money.
As long as someone, or some family, or some corporate entity feels that they can financially gain by controlling or withholding access rights to media (and other things) and are "legally" allowed to do so they will.
(Of course with movies another sad factor may be simple-minded negligence.)

Regarding public domain copyright, I believe Canada is now one of the last hold outs of the "50 year rule," and that may eventually pass into oblivion as well.

In 2004 copyright in Australia changed from a "plus 50" law to a "plus 70" law, in line with America and the European Union. But the change was not made retroactive (unlike the 1995 change in the European Union which bought some e.g. British authors back into copyright, especially those who died from 1925 to 1944). Hence the work of an author who died before 1955 is normally in the public domain in Australia; but the copyright of authors was extended to 70 years after death for those who died in 1955 or later, and no more Australian authors will come out of copyright until 1 January 2026 (those who died in 1955).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_in_public_domain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_Canada

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Well, there's so much to bash.

Sorry, that was very rude and uncalled for. You know what? There's also so much to celebrate. I love the States, and as soon as things go back to normal there, I'm planning to go on a few road trips, there are so many fascinating American places to visit. 

Yep, once we get back to normal down this way MissW (hopefully in about two years from now), do be sure to visit one of those fascinating places where this one little town in northern Arizona is surrounded by the most beautiful red rock formations you'll likely to ever come across...namely of course Sedona Arizona...and stop in and say hello.

(...btw, betcha didn't know that that Tyrone Power movie Pony Soldier, and where Ty plays a Mountie, was filmed right here) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

There is a Canadian movie that I wish TCM would show here in the States, It was called "Goin' Down The Road" (1970). I heard it's kind of a cult classic there in Canada. SCTV did a very funny spoof of it on their show.

Have you seen this one? Has it been on TCM in Canada?

The first great Canadian movie.

It captured certain aspects of Toronto in the late 60's flawlessly, particularly as it was for many young men from the Maritime provinces who came looking for work.

I've watched it about 10 times now, including on its initial run. Director Don Shebib did a lot of really special movies up here that are quintessentially Canadian and heartfelt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to add to the indignation of being a Canadian receiving TCM is the fact that the signal in Canada (from my experience anyway) is not as strong as that in the United States. I may be one of the few people to actually know this since, for a brief while, I got TCM both from a Canadian provider as well as, through a grey market provider, an American (Dish Network to be precise).

Whether the Canadian signal was off cable or satelitte didn't matter (I had both for a while), the image was identical. But that image was also softer and darker than that off Dish Network, by at least 15 to 20%.

Mind you, those Canadians who only receive the Canadian signal and have nothing to compare it to won't know this and the Canadian signal is okay quality. But from my past experience with Dish Network in the States, still an inferior image.

About two years ago I had an acquaintance in Florida make a recording for me of a film that wouldn't make it into Canada. When I got the DVD in the mail from him I was very pleased by the brightness and clarity of the image but it was also a reminder of just how good the image used to be for me when I got that grey market American signal of the channel.

So even when we Canadians do get the same movie on TCM as being broadcast in the States, the image is still a bit inferior.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

Watch it, MissW. I like this music! But then I'm Canadian.

My condolences.  ;)

And here's some more Canadian music for you:

4 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Right, hutz, I recognize a lot of titles on that list as movies that are not currently available to see in Canada when aired on TCM.  It makes no sense. 

One example: Foreign Correspondent. I really like this Hitchcock film, and I like Joel McCrea. Fortunately for me, I own it - l've had a DVD of it for years. But yes, I have noticed that every time it's broadcast on TCM, it's replaced with something else in Canada. It's hard to understand this, because as far as I know, pretty much every other Hitchcock film is available in Canada, and is screened here as well as the States whenever TCM has a Hitchcock film on their schedule. But not Foreign Correspondent. Why not?

Also - several of the films on your list (Arsenic and Old Lace, Random Harvest, and The Ladykillers, possibly more) have been aired in Canada from TCM in the past. One year I might be able to tune in to TCM and see Diabolique, the next year, it's blocked. This inconsistent, on-and-off availability of movies that are allowed to be broadcast in Canada -or not - suggests a certain chaos in the whole realm of "film rights" and international borders. It all seems to be in a constant state of flux.

ps: I'll tell you one film you left off that list, and it drives me crazy that it doesn't seem to have the "rights" to be aired in Canada: The Third Man. And yet, I just know, I saw that very film on TCM years ago.  What the frig?.....

how did I forget The Third Man! a couple of early hitchcocks also got switched when they did a hitchcock month(the manxman?) but i don't really care that much about pre-rebecca hitch

in the last 2 years anything by rainer fassbender got blocked as well but ali: fear eats the soul appears to be airing here so fingers crossed

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

Well, not so sure about that. I've often managed to find TCM being broadcast in many (well a few anyway) distant lands.
But on second thought, perhaps those TCM broadcasts were magnanimously meant for estranged expat "Americans" habitating within those lands??? ;)

That was written in jest. I'm sure there are people from other countries who enjoy

TCM in addition to Americans who are abroad and like to see something familiar.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vautrin said:

That was written in jest. I'm sure there are people from other countries who enjoy

TCM in addition to Americans who are abroad and like to see something familiar.

Oh I caught your smile :) and responded in kind with a wink ;)
I knew that you were just josh'n, and my response wasn't seriously serious either.

But kidding aside, I have seen various TCM channels (in english) on those rare occasions when I have treated myself to a hotel room while abroad. And yes, it was like a lulling "taste" of home.... Sorta like those ubiquitous MacDonald's that seem to appear in practically every major city across the globe.
So there is a bit of truth within our comedy. ;):)

• Like 1

Instead of BELLYACHIN' here, did anyone find out just WHO made those decisions, and WHY?

THAT would be the more sensible direction in which to fire your disgusted vitriol. ( or, would you guys spell that "v-i-t-r-i-o-U-l " ?  ;)

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Instead of BELLYACHIN' here, did anyone find out just WHO made those decisions, and WHY?

THAT would be the more sensible direction in which to fire your disgusted vitriol. ( or, would you guys spell that "v-i-t-r-i-o-U-l " ?  ;)

Sepiatone

Right, Sepiatone, despite my indulging in what most people here perceive to be a pointless hissy fit, (hissy-fitting can be fun sometimes), the main reason I started this thread was to see if anyone out there in TCM Message-Boards Land had any actual concrete information as to the whys and wherefores of this complicated business of "rights" and old movies, and why some films are allowed to be aired in some countries and blocked in others.  It's such a seemingly incomprehensible snarl, and I've also noticed that it's gotten a lot worse in recent years. Something to do with the internet?

I do appreciate Stephan55's post, the one that attempts to explain it all at least a bit. Stephan, the reason I posted a "confused" emoji after your post was, I was just as confused after reading it as I was before. This was not your fault, it's just the fact that it's all so...confusing. The main message I'm getting from the "rights" snarl is that people are greedy and the lawyers who help them hang on to their movie rights are greedy too.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2019 at 8:06 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

Unconscionable treatment of our neighbors-to-the-North!

Brave Canada! Loyal Canada! We fought shoulder-to-shoulder against the Hun in the dark days of WWII. But how now? How does this fell deed come to pass? Is this the pallid courtesy we now dash at the feet of our steadfast ally? Is it? Answer me!

I want the names of the men responsible for this disgrace! When I have this intelligence, I will personally contact the American Ambassador to the Commonwealth of Canada and believe you me, those heads will roll! They'll never work in cable television again!

I too am appalled and promise to never buy any Canadian Mist again as my protest for this foul treatment of our Canadian neighbors.

• Haha 1

Gee, wouldn't it be nice if somebody at the TCM center in Atlanta would occasionally read our posts in their website forum and then maybe actually answer questions such as the one MissW posed here?

(...well, read them for THIS purpose and not just to "correct" us whenever we might use some "naughty little word" in 'em, anyway)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Gee, wouldn't it be nice if somebody at the TCM center in Atlanta would occasionally read our posts in their website forum and then maybe actually answer questions such as the one MissW posed here?

(...well, read them for THIS purpose and not just to "correct" us whenever we might use some "naughty little word" in 'em, anyway)

Thanks, for that, Dargs. Yes, that's really all I want (well, besides all TCM scheduled programming to be aired in Canada, a naive pipedream), is a coherent answer to my question.

Guess it's nice that this thread has provided an opportunity for lots of American posters to make dumb, obvious "Canadian" jokes. (yeah, you too, Dargs..but that's ok 😎.) Interesting, some of the first things that come to mind for many Americans...Mounted Police, (that includes all those execrable Mountie movies), hockey, cold weather, poutine, and some good stuff, too (like all the great Canadian music, such as The Band and the Crash Test Dummies).

Fact is, Canadians and Americans are probably more alike than any other two nations on earth. There's not much to explain, we're almost the same in so many ways. And no, we do not pay obeisance to the queen (oops, The Queen) every day. Or even, ever.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Thanks, for that, Dargs. Yes, that's really all I want (well, besides all TCM scheduled programming to be aired in Canada, a naive pipedream), is a coherent answer to my question.

Guess it's nice that this thread has provided an opportunity for lots of American posters to make dumb, obvious "Canadian" jokes. (yeah, you too, Dargs..but that's ok 😎.)

Hey! I thought MY jokes were of more the supportive nature here anyway, MissW?! ;)

Interesting, some of the first things that come to mind for many Americans...Mounted Police, (that includes all those execrable Mountie movies), hockey, cold weather, poutine, and some good stuff, too (like all the great Canadian music, such as The Band and the Crash Test Dummies).

Yeah, but in THIS regard, nobody mentioned another of my favorite Canadian recording artists...Gordon Lightfoot.

I think of him every time I pass by the I-17 exit for Carefree Highway here in AZ and while driving people down and back to Phoenix's Sky Harbor Airport on that little part-time shuttle driving job I have in my retirement now.

(...oh and btw...just two weeks ago I was in your beautiful country again, but unfortunately this time not for any pleasant reason...you may remember my birth mother lived in Kelowna B.C. and I'd fly up to visit her every year or so since making contact with her about a decade ago...well, she passed away at age 86 on this past Christmas Eve, and so I flew up there to attend her memorial service on Jan.2...it was a nice affair, and as usual her family treated me as one of them and with open arms...I even gave a little speech at it and about how much all my "Canadian family" has been so welcoming to me since the day I made that contact with her...it was well received by all)

• Like 1

We're not parting mothers and babies on the Canadian border now, are we?

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, but in THIS regard, nobody mentioned another of my favorite Canadian recording artists...Gordon Lightfoot.

That's the first one I thought of when thinking of Canadian musicians. "Sundown" is my favorite song by him.

I also like Chilliwack who had great song with "My Girl" (not a remake of the Temptations classic, but the one with "gone,gone, gone she been gone so long" lyrics)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

We're not parting mothers and babies on the Canadian border now, are we?

LOL

No Sarge. "Ma" as I'd come to call her (my unwed Canadian birth mother) traveled down to Los Angeles with her parents in 1952 and gave me up for adoption to two of the most wonderful parents anyone could have ever asked for, after my birth in L.A.

(...nope, this would be YEARS before some jerk head of state of our country would somehow think doing that sort of thing a "good" immigration policy)

You'll always be her little bouncing boy, Dargo! Don't kid yourself with these Audie Murphy fantasies!

Audie-Murphy.png