Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Animation around THE WORLD

6 posts in this topic

:( To some extent I don't think a global perspective matters anymore. Whatever a media is, these days one is still reduced to viewing it on the same uniform, ubiquitous, computer monitors that give us everything now.

I'd rather see a live performance of anything the way things stand now--even if it was someone making hand-shadows against a bedsheet. Or those cool shadow-puppets from Bali and Indonesia.

It all reminds me of the arguments of the Italian futurists or maybe it was the Supremacists who inveigled against museums as 'graveyards for art'. Computers are a similar mortuary.

13 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I'd rather see a live performance of anything the way things stand now--even if it was someone making hand-shadows against a bedsheet. Or those cool shadow-puppets from Bali and Indonesia.

DMXA1Dv.jpg

Cartoon BrewVerified account @cartoonbrew Jun 22

Ron Howard To Direct ‘The Shrinking of Treehorn’ For Paramount Animation:

It's one of four upcoming animated and hybrid features being developed as part of a partnership between Imagine Entertainment and Animal Logic.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/ron-howard-to-direct-the-shrinking-of-treehorn-for-paramount-animation-176159.html 

D9rZ5SZW4AI2y0N.jpg

On 2/9/2019 at 7:08 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

:( To some extent I don't think a global perspective matters anymore. Whatever a media is, these days one is still reduced to viewing it on the same uniform, ubiquitous, computer monitors that give us everything now.

It all reminds me of the arguments of the Italian futurists or maybe it was the Supremacists who inveigled against museums as 'graveyards for art'. Computers are a similar mortuary.

I think the global perspective matters a great deal in animation. It's not only about how an audience views media, but also what they view. Previously, we only worried about what they viewed, but now we must consider both. 

I think global animation is far more experimental and daring than most American animation. To a certain extent, much of American animation is limited to what we see being produced in Hollywood. While there is some amazing stuff coming out of Hollywood animation, it is often limited to family oriented films (not always but often). The independent circuit is often more experimental, but again, many times that seems to come from countries outside of the United States.  If we don't consider what is coming out of animation around the world, then we are missing out on some wonderful pieces of animation exploring things that Americans don't

While I agree with you about live performances, and that there is a magic that we don't see on screens, I don't agree that the fact that society views things primarily on computer/tablet/phone screens detracts from the performances and stories being told. Are they all great? Of course not, but neither were all of the films in Classic Hollywood.

• Like 2