Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

yes, climate change is a fact

201 posts in this topic

Over 4 million on #ClimateStrike today. In 163 countries. And counting...

If you belong to the small number of people who feel threatened by us,

then we we have some very bad news for you: This is just the beginning. Change is coming - like it or not.

:huh:

• Thanks 1

Teen climate activist Greta Thunberg tells Congress:

'Unite behind the science'

"I am submitting this report as my testimony because I don't want you to listen to me," the 16-year-old said. "I want you to listen to the scientists."

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/climate-activist-greta-thunberg-tells-congress-unite-behind-science-n1055851?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Climate change drought in Guatemala is forcing Guatemalans to leave for the US to Stave off starvation.

Coffee crops are dying and people are starving in Guatemala as a result.

Many have already migrated to the United States.

In response to this migration, trump has cut off aid to these Guatemalan farmers and agricultural workers.

This of course will only make the situation worse.

And of course trump and his anti-scientific Republican Party are climate change deniers, which is a complete refusal to accept responsibility for what is going on now in order to do something to ameliorate the situation.

American leadership has never been more ignorant.

Source, NBC News

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, hamradio said:

They are the one's PROTESTING about the use of fossil fuels and plastic. I'm stating FACT!  Look around your house and count everything made of plastic.

The manufacturing of this creates pollution in some form. Can you live without it?  

Don't forget about modems, network hubs, receiver boxes.

39599087-wireless-modem-router-network-h

Aren’t you one of those protesting the switch from PLASTIC straws to paper straws as an invasion of your freedoms.  You and Donald Trump and the GOP have taken this ridiculous position.  The smallest change you you lose it as if it will be the end of America as we know it.  NOTHING will be done under this useless ostrich head in the sand science be damned idiot of a “President”.  HE is the biggest threat to America and the world, and is hastening the end of America as we know it.

20 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I notice that no one on the left ever addresses why the new ice age that was predicted in the 1970s by the same kind of liberal climatologists never occurred.

was their empirical data incorrect?

and yet they afford no one who disagrees the willingness to debate.

em·pir·i·cal
/əmˈpirik(ə)l/
adjective

1. based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic.
    "they provided considerable empirical evidence to support their argument"
    :D

It’s called advances in science.  Being able to measure changes in the upper atmosphere, and understand what that means.  Why you are obsessed about an Ice Age once postulated, before the implications of man’s carbon footprint on this planet, is ridiculous and has nothing to do re. current trends being borne out day to day, year to year.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Arturo said:

Aren’t you one of those protesting the switch from PLASTIC straws to paper straws as an invasion of your freedoms.  You and Donald Trump and the GOP have taken this ridiculous position.  The smallest change you you lose it as if it will be the end of America as we know it.  NOTHING will be done under this useless ostrich head in the sand science be damned idiot of a “President”.  HE is the biggest threat to America and the world, and is hastening the end of America as we know it.

NO, I don't use straws. Drink straight from the cup.

What the heck does a straw's composition has to do with freedom? :wacko:

39 minutes ago, hamradio said:

NO, I don't use straws. Drink straight from the cup.

What the heck does a straw's composition has to do with freedom? :wacko:

Ask Donald Trump.  He is selling plastic straws on his website and rallying his base at his rallies about the loss of freedom if we are forced to give up plastic straws.

27 minutes ago, Arturo said:

As Donald Trump.  He is selling plastic straws on his website and rallying his base at his rallies about the loss of freedom if we are forced to give up plastic straws.

I still don't know what does this has to do with freedom?  The plastic straw debate mainly stems from those used in fast food establishments.  Never seen any that gave one a choice.

Starbucks-Matcha-Lemonade-and-Violet-Dri

20150324-fast-food-awards-18-mcdonalds-s

19260791_1531345596909821_13074249325462

5 minutes ago, hamradio said:

I still don't know what does this has to do with freedom?  The plastic straw debate mainly stems from those used in fast food establishments.  Never seen any that gave one a choice?  

20150324-fast-food-awards-18-mcdonalds-s

It should’ve  said, “ASK Donald Trump’.  He is the one who thinks that getting rid of plastic straws is environmentalists run amok, threatening the American way of life.  In other words, freedom, as they define it.    He stokes the fears of his brain dead base with this.

• Thanks 1

Actually, large-scale adjustments to our daily lives will be necessary to help slow down climate change.  One side will do what it takes, large or small, for this crisis.  The other side not only doesn’t believe this is happening, but refuses to do anything about it.  And the Effing Moron is doing worse, reversing some things put in place to help mitigate the effects.

4 hours ago, Arturo said:

Actually, large-scale adjustments to our daily lives will be necessary to help slow down climate change.  One side will do what it takes, large or small, for this crisis.  The other side not only doesn’t believe this is happening, but refuses to do anything about it.  And the Effing Moron is doing worse, reversing some things put in place to help mitigate the effects.

I don't know what large scale adjustments I can make.  Just did the carbon footprint calculator and it's about 18 tons.  This didn't factor in I don't use an energy gobbling heat pump, don't believe in planned obsolescence, not WASTING anything. My garbage / trash amount to 1,  37 gallon trash bag per week.

Don't order food i.e. pizza. Tap water is perfectly safe, no need for bottled water. The only fast food (very little I do) is a 3 piece meal at KFC or under 8 dollar meal at Long John Silvers but no drinks - won't drink the toxic high fructose corn syrup nor do I trust Aspartame. 

8 hours ago, Arturo said:

It should’ve  said, “ASK Donald Trump’.  He is the one who thinks that getting rid of plastic straws is environmentalists run amok, threatening the American way of life.  In other words, freedom, as they define it.    He stokes the fears of his brain dead base with this.

That is symptomatic of someone who doesn't have any idea about priorities.

That would be the last person you would want in the Oval Office.

His base is made up of a lot of poorly educated, ignorant, racist people who would have no idea about the qualifications necessary for a US president or world leader.

• Thanks 1

·
5h

"I shouldn't be up here. I should be back in school, on the other side of the ocean," Greta Thunberg told leaders at the U.N. climate summit.
"Yet you all come to us young people for hope.

How dare you?" https://n.pr/2m5UL6P
  • Like 1

Teen climate activist Greta Thunberg delivers scathing speech at U.N.

......."....You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words."

Thunberg slammed the members of the U.N. for caring more about money and "fairytales of eternal economic growth" than collapsing ecosystems, mass extinctions and people suffering due to climate change.

"You say you hear us and that you understand the urgency, but no matter how sad and angry I am I do not want to believe that because if you really understood the situation and still kept on failing to act, then you would be evil, and that I refuse to believe," Thunberg said.....

She also said that the "popular idea" of cutting emissions by 50 percent in 10 years only yields a 50 percent chance of keeping the earth's warming trend below the 1.5 degree Celsius threshold, which could set off "catastrophic chain reactions beyond human control" if breached.

"A 50 percent risk is simply not acceptable to us — we who have to live with the consequences," she said.

Thunberg said the earth’s remaining CO2 budget was rapidly dwindling — citing a report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change that said the planet has experienced a more than 70 gigaton deficit in the earth’s remaining CO2 budget since January 2018.....

“You are failing us but young people are starting to understand your betrayal,” Thunberg said. “The eyes of all future generations are upon you and if you choose to fail us, I say we will never forgive you.” .......

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/teen-climate-activist-greta-thunberg-delivers-scathing-speech-u-n-n1057621

• Sad 1

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/philosopher-slavoj-zizek-praises-greta-thunberg-her-message-is-simply-take-science-seriously/

Philosopher Slavoj Zizek Praises Greta Thunberg: Her ‘Message Is Simply Take Science Seriously’

Slovenian philosopher, author, and political commentator Slavoj Žižek praised 16-year-old climate change awareness activist Greta Thunberg during an interview with JOE this week.

“That’s what I like about Greta Thunberg, that girl. Her message is simply: ‘Take science seriously,’” Žižek declared. “She is, if there ever was a person who speaks with a certain hatred, with almost what I would say, what they call ‘toxic masculinity.’ It’s her. Autistic and so on. We need autistic women like that, because her message is a beautiful one, nonetheless correct.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/23/2019 at 11:48 PM, hamradio said:

Trump is old fashion, children should be seen and not heard. :D:lol:

No, it's more like everybody else's children should be seen and not heard. But he actually has the audacity to take his daughter into the realm of world leaders and expect her to be treated like she's actually representing the United States,  like she would be on the same level of a real American Diplomat from the State Department.

She made an absolute fool of herself recently trying to enter into a discussion with world leaders.

You can buy an Ivy League diploma but that doesn't guarantee  that you know anything.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 9:48 PM, hamradio said:

Trump is old fashion, children should be seen and not heard. :D:lol:

Trump is pure old-.fashioned evil.  He thinks children should be yanked from their mothers’ arms and locked up in cages!😒

• Thanks 1

https://www.businessinsider.com/german-regulators-question-emissions-of-mercedes-vans-2019-10?r=US&IR=T

German authorities say Mercedes may have manipulated emissions readings on hundreds of thousands of vans

• Daimler may have to recall 260,000 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter vans, Bild reported Sunday. 
  • German regulators are asking questions of the automaker, alleging it may have cheated the emissions readings. 
  • The questions are the latest in increased scrutiny of automaker's self-reported tests by prosecutors. 
  • German automaker Daimler is facing questions about the possible illegal manipulation of diesel emission readings, focused on its popular Mercedes-Benz Sprinter vans.
  • Bild newspaper reported Sunday that Germany's KBA vehicle regulatory authority has written the company warning that 260,000 Sprinters, sold up until 2016, may be affected.

Daimler confirmed to the dpa news agency that the KBA has scheduled a hearing to address the issue, which Bild said would likely lead to a recall.

The Stuttgart-based automaker last month was fined 870 million euros ($957 million) by city prosecutors over the certification of diesel cars whose emissions didn't comply with regulatory requirements. That fine isn't likely to have an impact on the company's third-quarter earnings, Daimler said. 

The fine and questions about the Sprinter vans are the latest in a years long saga between German prosecutors and automakers. Earlier this year, Volkswagen's chief executive and chairman were both charged with market manipulation relating to the automaker's allegedly rigged engines. 

On 9/21/2019 at 10:17 PM, Arturo said:

It’s called advances in science.  Being able to measure changes in the upper atmosphere, and understand what that means.  Why you are obsessed about an Ice Age once postulated, before the implications of man’s carbon footprint on this planet, is ridiculous and has nothing to do re. current trends being borne out day to day, year to year.

and the constant and continuing revisions of their hypothesis does not impact on their overall credibility???

many think it does.

the same with evolution. the theory is constantly revised.

Should watch "Top Ten - Wildfires" on the Weather Channel.  History shows wildfires were far worst in the past.

Peshtigo fire - 1871

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peshtigo_fire

Because it's a small town, doesn't get the attention or fit the global warming narrative.

10.jpg

peshtigo_1871.jpg

Have this today, little Greta Thunberg be having a temper tantrum.

tenor.gif

Feel sorry for methane, never gets the credit it deserves. ;)

image_from_ios.gif

Surprise the UN don't want a bubble tax. :wacko:

• Sad 1