Sign in to follow this  
DickLindsay

ANN DVORAK "Housewife" with Bette Davis

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

Has anyone seen this film, HOUSEWIFE (1934) with Bette Davis, George Brent and Ann Dvorak?  The photographs look interesting.  I must say that I don't think I've ever seen a film with ANN DVORAK.... I did see THREE ON A MATCH many years ago, but  she doesn't stand out in my mind.  Can someone recommend a film with her thats good?

I am guessing that HOUSEWIFE is probaby mediocre at best.  Here are some stills from the film.

I know that the first image shows ANN DVORAK.  Who is the woman next to her?  and the others?  thanks!

HW1.JPG
HW2.JPG
HW3.JPG
HW4.JPG

I've seen Housewife, and yes, I thought it was mediocre.

I do like Ann Dvorak, though, and would recommend the original Scarface with Paul Muni. She's very good as his sister.

Photo 1: Dvorak and Ruth Donnelly

Photo 2: Dvorak and George Brent

Photo 3: Dvorak and John Halliday

Photo 4: Dvorak, Halliday and Brent (not sure who the guy is on the far left)

She became a character actress at the end, but would still get top billing or else be listed as a secondary lead. I think she was at her best in those later roles as a character actress. She didn't let herself get typecast and she was skilled in many genres.

Check out: FLAME OF BARBARY COAST (a western with John Wayne where she plays a saloon gal); OUT OF THE BLUE (a screwball comedy where she plays an uptight spinster with mental problems, which reunited her on screen with George Brent); THE PRIVATE AFFAIRS OF BEL AMI (she plays a wealthy woman victimized by scoundrel George Sanders); OUR VERY OWN (she plays a working class woman who gave up a daughter for adoption); THE SECRET OF CONVICT LAKE (a western where she plays a pioneer woman held captive by Zachary Scott).

thanks so much for the information.  Special thanks for the film suggestions;i will keep a close eye on the TCM schedules!

• Like 1

I hate to use such a hackneyed saying, but it is true with Miss Dvorak.  Most of the movies she was in were indifferent at best, but she was always great in them.  Two others that are really good are The Strange Love of Molly Louvain (1932), with Lee Tracy, directed by Michael Curtiz--and added bonus of Evalyn Knapp.  And Heat Lightning (1934) that features one of Aline MacMahon's best roles, directed by Mervyn LeRoy.  Check out also A Life of Her Own (1950), a wretched pseudo-pot-boiler set in the modeling industry in which Miss Dvorak plays a washed-up model/mistress headed for a bad end.  Her climactic scene is one so god-awfully written it would have been intolerable to watch had it not been performed by her.  

Upcoming movies include Crooner (1932), and I Was an American Spy (1951).  *sigh*

• Like 2

7 hours ago, slaytonf said:

I hate to use such a hackneyed saying, but it is true with Miss Dvorak.  Most of the movies she was in were indifferent at best, but she was always great in them.  Two others that are really good are The Strange Love of Molly Louvain (1932), with Lee Tracy, directed by Michael Curtiz--and added bonus of Evalyn Knapp.  And Heat Lightning (1934) that features one of Aline MacMahon's best roles, directed by Mervyn LeRoy.  Check out also A Life of Her Own (1950), a wretched pseudo-pot-boiler set in the modeling industry in which Miss Dvorak plays a washed-up model/mistress headed for a bad end.  Her climactic scene is one so god-awfully written it would have been intolerable to watch had it not been performed by her.  

Upcoming movies include Crooner (1932), and I Was an American Spy (1951).  *sigh*

Thanks for mentioning A LIFE OF HER OWN. That's a perfect example of her playing a character role-- in this case she's supporting Lana Turner. 

Dvorak did not do much television. She only appeared in three or four TV anthology shows in 1952 then called it quits. She was 40 years old, had recently remarried and found happiness away from Hollywood. It's a shame she didn't continue, because as a character actress, she could have done some good guest performances in TV westerns and crime dramas. 

14 hours ago, DickLindsay said:

Hello,

Has anyone seen this film, HOUSEWIFE (1934) with Bette Davis, George Brent and Ann Dvorak?  The photographs look interesting.  I must say that I don't think I've ever seen a film with ANN DVORAK.... I did see THREE ON A MATCH many years ago, but  she doesn't stand out in my mind.  Can someone recommend a film with her thats good?

I am guessing that HOUSEWIFE is probaby mediocre at best.  Here are some stills from the film.

I know that the first image shows ANN DVORAK.  Who is the woman next to her?  and the others?  thanks!

HW1.JPG
HW2.JPG
HW3.JPG
HW4.JPG

1. Ann Dvorak and Ruth Donnelly

2. Ann Dvorak and George Brent

3. Ann Dvorak and John Halliday ( he was Hepburn's father in The Philadelphia Story)

4. Hobart Cavanaugh, Ann Dvorak, John Halliday and George Brent