Sign in to follow this  
GordonCole

Sports movies

56 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2019 at 5:23 PM, EricJ said:

Well, that's pretty much WHY Thenryb put Eight Men Out on his list:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlJx0tWUuGY

You could make a separate list for Best Baseball movies, topped with The Natural and Eight Men Out.  (Field of Dreams would rank lower for being "too hippie", Bull Durham close behind, A League of Their Own for being too Lifetime-Network, and Pride of the Yankees would be pretty far down the list.

And just because Disney later drowned us in two dozen other bad saintly-coach and/or ragtag-team sports epics hoping "The Mighty Ducks" would happen again, doesn't mean that 2004's Miracle isn't one of THE best sports movies ever made, period, full-stop:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd0_Dm2xlEM

I couldn't agree with you less. If you could read, you would see I said "What I'd really like would be to see a film devoted to Shoeless Joe Jackson" which means in English, a film about him and not primarily about the Black Sox scandal which is poorly perceived and played out in the film Eight Men Out with many glaring errors in facts and not really for any serious baseball historian to endure in viewing and I'm sure Kenesaw Mountain Landis would agree with me. I will imagine that this is just an example of one trying to as usual impress others, with some persiflage of less than impressive opinions about film topics at this site, which has been forcefully executed by you though I will say.

As for the movie, Miracle again, saying it is "one of THE best sports movies ever made, period, full-stop" is a personal opinion that I would disavow totally, and having seen the original play by play of Al Michaels, I would prefer reseeing that over the movie anytime. Both Eight Men Out and Miracle might suffice for any neophyte fan of said sports but are sub-par for a devoted aficianado of either sport.

I like sports movies that have high school settings.  Three that come to mind are:

All the Right Moves (1983) Set in small Western Pa. town, it features an affecting performance by Tom Cruise

Varsity Blues (1999) Enjoyable coming of age story starring James Van Der Beek, who at the time was in the popular teen drama Dawson's Creek

Remember the Titans (2000) With Denzel Washington, and based on a true story, this features an excellent ensemble cast.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 2:42 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

Paul Newman in 'The Hustler' my #5

newman-gleason.jpg?w=497&f=1

Gotta say, Gleason as Fats was quite good in this Willie Mosconi type role.

Getting ready to watch The Hustler now.  I've never seen it so I'll see where it ranks in my Top sports movie list.

Ok, now that I have watched The Hustler I would have to say it was a movie that I really really enjoyed from a cinematic experience and as a movie as a whole (story, acting, setting, ect).  I'm not sure it makes my Top 5 sports movies though.   Some of that could be that I have no first hand clue on anything about billiards.

Newman and George C. Scott were terrific.   Piper Laurie was fantastic.    

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Jackie Gleason get an Oscar nomination for his role as Minnesota Fats?   If so, I would have to ask why??   I mean, I really really like Jackie Gleason and he did a really good job but out of a 2 hour 14 min movie he was in it (without timing it) I would say for about 20-25 min and all of it was playing billiards with very minimal lines.  I was sort of disappointed.   

Anyways, I did enjoy the movie a lot.   My family watched it last night as part of our TCM Wine Club movie night with gourmet burgers and the Jackie Gleason wine.   A good night to say the least.

1 minute ago, Solafide said:

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Jackie Gleason get an Oscar nomination for his role as Minnesota Fats?   If so, I would have to ask why??   I mean, I really really like Jackie Gleason and he did a really good job but out of a 2 hour 14 min movie he was in it (without timing it) I would say for about 20-25 min and all of it was playing billiards with very minimal lines.  I was sort of disappointed.   

Yes, Gleason was nominated for Best Supporting Actor, as was George C. Scott (they lost to George Chakiris in West Side Story). Gleason's role was short, but it's a supporting role, so it could be 5 minutes and still be eligible. He's very low key, and plays it straight without any comedy gags, which really struck audiences at the time who knew him best from his TV comedy shows. Newman and Laurie were also nominated for their roles. The movie won Oscars for B&W Cinematography and Art Direction.

• Thanks 1