BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls

2019 Oscar Nominees Announced

39 posts in this topic

For those who are interested, the 2019 Oscar nominees have been announced. 

Below are the major categories and nominees:

Best Picture

“Black Panther” 

“A Star Is Born” 

“Roma”

“The Favourite”

“Vice”

“Bohemian Rhapsody”

“Green Book”

“BlacKkKlansman”

Best Actress

Glenn Close, “The Wife”

Lady Gaga, “A Star Is Born” 

Yalitza Aparicio, “Roma”

Olivia Colman, “The Favourite”

Melissa McCarthy, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”

Best Actor

Christian Bale, “Vice”

Bradley Cooper, “A Star Is Born”

Viggo Mortensen, “Green Book” 

Willem Dafoe, “At Eternity’s Gate”

Rami Malek, “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Best Supporting Actress

Amy Adams, “Vice”

Marina de Tavira, “Roma”

Regina King, “If Beale Street Could Talk” 

Emma Stone, “The Favourite” 

Rachel Weisz, “The Favourite” 

Best Supporting Actor

Mahershala Ali, “Green Book”

Adam Driver, “BlacKkKlansman”

Sam Elliott, “A Star Is Born”

Richard E. Grant, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”

Sam Rockwell, “Vice”

Best Director

Spike Lee, “BlacKkKlansman”

Pawel Pawlikowski, “Cold War”

Yorgos Lanthimos, “The Favourite” 

Alfonso Cuarón, “Roma”

Adam McKay, “Vice”

Best Original Screenplay

“First Reformed”

“Green Book”

“Roma”

“The Favourite”

“Vice”  

Best Adapted Screenplay

“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs”

“BlacKkKlansman”

“Can You Ever Forgive Me?”

“If Beale Street Could Talk”

“A Star Is Born”

Best Cinematography

“Cold War”

“The Favourite”

“Never Look Away”

“Roma”

“A Star Is Born” 

Best Animated Film

“Incredibles 2” 

“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”

“Mirai”

“Ralph Breaks the Internet”

“Isle Of Dogs”

Best Animated Short Film

“Animal Behaviour”

“Bao”

“Late Afternoon”

“One Small Step”

“Weekends”

Best Live Action Short Film

“Detainment”

“Fauve”

“Marguerite”

“Mother”

“Skin”

Best Foreign Language Film

“Capernaum”

“Cold War” 

“Never Look Away”

“Roma”

“Shoplifters”

Best Documentary Feature

“Free Solo” 

“Minding The Gap” 

“Of Fathers and Sons” 

“RBG”

“Hale County This Morning, This Evening”

Best Documentary Short Subject

“Black Sheep”

“End Game”

“Lifeboat”

“A Night at the Garden”

“Period. End of Sentence.”

Best Production Design

“Black Panther”

“First Man”

“The Favourite” 

“Mary Poppins Returns” 

“Roma” 

Best Film Editing

“BlacKkKlansman”

“Bohemian Rhapsody”

“Green Book”

“The Favourite”

“Vice” 

Best Sound Editing

“A Quiet Place”

“Black Panther”

“Bohemian Rhapsody”

“First Man”

“Roma”

Best Sound Mixing

“Black Panther”

“Bohemian Rhapsody”

“First Man”

“Roma”

“A Star Is Born”

Best Original Score

“Black Panther”

“BlacKkKlansman”

“Isle of Dogs”

“Mary Poppins Returns”

Best Original Song

“All The Stars” ― “Black Panther”

“I’ll Fight” ― “RBG”

“Shallow” ― “A Star Is Born”

“The Place Where Lost Things Go” ― “Mary Poppins Returns”

“When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings” ― “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs”

Best Costume Design

“Black Panther”

“The Favourite”

“Mary Poppins Returns”

“Mary Queen of Scots”

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

“Border”

“Mary Queen of Scots”

“Vice”

Best Visual Effects

“Avengers: Infinity War”

“Christopher Robin”

“First Man”

“Ready Player One”

“Solo: A Star Wars Story”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Roma is winning. I felt that as soon as it received that surprise nod in Supporting Actress. 

All I want out of these Oscars is for Glenn Close to finally get her due.

Is Spike Lee the first director to get a Best Directing nomination after winning an Honorary Oscar?

I think Charlie Chaplin was given an honorary award at the first Oscars, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

I've seen like half of them. I think Green Book will win Best Picture. Roma would win if it were in English though.

5 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Roma is winning. I felt that as soon as it received that surprise nod in Supporting Actress. 

All I want out of these Oscars is for Glenn Close to finally get her due.

I agree on Roma. I also wouldn't mind seeing Glenn Close win.

I was surprised Ethan Hawke wasn't even nominated for Best Actor for First Reformed, particularly since he repeatedly won for that throughout the other awards this season. I don't really have a favorite in that category, but it's most likely between Bale and Malek.

I wouldn't mind seeing either Sam Elliott or Richard E. Grant win for Supporting Actor, although I haven't seen either film. I'd just like them winning one. Ali is the frontrunner.

I don't really have a fave in Supporting Actress, either. Regina King seems to have been the most frequent winner thus far.

Best Director will be Cuaron.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Is Spike Lee the first director to get a Best Directing nomination after winning an Honorary Oscar?

I think Charlie Chaplin was given an honorary award at the first Oscars, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Chaplin did indeed receive a special award for directing The Circus at the first ceremony in 1928, but he did not receive a directing nomination for The Great Dictator, his only Best Picture nominated film (Monsier Verdoux was up for script and Limelight won for score). 

On the other hand, Lawrence Olivier received an honorary award in 1946, and was up for directing just 2 years later for Hamlet. Likewise Cecil B DeMille being up for Greatest Show on Earth after his award in 1949.

That makes Lee only the third in a very select group, and the first in a long time.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I agree on Roma. I also wouldn't mind seeing Glenn Close win.

I was surprised Ethan Hawke wasn't even nominated for Best Actor for First Reformed, particularly since he repeatedly won for that throughout the other awards this season. I don't really have a favorite in that category, but it's most likely between Bale and Malek.

I wouldn't mind seeing either Sam Elliott or Richard E. Grant win for Supporting Actor, although I haven't seen either film. I'd just like them winning one. Ali is the frontrunner.

I don't really have a fave in Supporting Actress, either. Regina King seems to have been the most frequent winner thus far.

Best Director will be Cuaron.

I'm still mostly in the dark for this year (Roma is the only BP nominee I've seen so far), but to make a few observations....

The Hawke snub was indeed unexpected. I kind of guessed John David Washington would miss out in the end, but never did I expect Willem Dafoe to swoop in for that last slot since talk about the film had been very quiet.

I'm rooting for Sam Elliot to finally get some recognition.

And supporting actress comes down to King and amy Adams. Adams made the BAFTA and SAG cuts while King didn't, and for Close and Adams to win both on the same night after many losses would probabably be a ratings coup.

• Like 2

It's a shame The Favourite folks didn't enter Colman's name in the supporting category (seen it..she doesn't get as much on screen time as the other two..) because she would've walked away with it..and yes, I get the marketing behind their decision.  Loved Close in The Wife, and I think she'll win..but honestly the performance doesn't have the range of Colman.  Sorry young Elsie Fisher didn't make the list for Eighth Grade..wonderful performance.

Still haven't seen Can You Ever Forgive Me?..and it's the only one left I have a real interest in seeing (have zero interest in comic book action or remakes of remakes...sorry..)

Having just watched First Man last night, it certainly deserves the sound department nominations. The visual effects nod is also warranted, but it's not as flashy as the other nominees and will probably not win. The production design is also probably not flashy enough to win. It should have gotten a Best Score nod, too. Many were surprised by Claire Foy's snub for Best Supporting Actress, as she'd been nominated a lot throughout the season, but while I thought she was good, I don't know if I'd say it was award-worthy. 

I think it's going to be another The Artist year. (Roma). Never expected it to get that many nominations. I feel it's the film to beat this year.

1 hour ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

I expected more than one song from A Star is Born to be nominated for Best Original Song, but if I had to pick only one it would be "Shallow," which was nominated. 

You can call Warner Bros on that decision. They decided to hedge their bets and only submitted that one song to the Academy, refusing to even consider any of the other songs in the film.

8 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

You can call Warner Bros on that decision. They decided to hedge their bets and only submitted that one song to the Academy, refusing to even consider any of the other songs in the film.

That being said, I think that's one of the few dead-lock winners for this year. And I wouldn't be surprised if that's the only Oscar it wins.

11 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

That being said, I think that's one of the few dead-lock winners for this year. And I wouldn't be surprised if that's the only Oscar it wins.

Probably right. So many thought it was going to be the big winner, but then it missed directing and editing, a knockout blow, because no film that has missed both categories since editing was introduced in 1933 has ever won Best Picture.

The HillVerified account @thehill 8m8 minutes ago

GLAAD removes "Bohemian Rhapsody" from film award consideration over allegations against director Bryan Singer

.......GLAAD, a media monitoring organization founded by LGBT people in the media, told Variety that the allegations could not be ignored.

“In light of the latest allegations against director Bryan Singer, GLAAD has made the difficult decision to remove ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ from contention for a GLAAD Media Award in the Outstanding Film – Wide Release category this year," they said in a statement. "This week’s story in The Atlantic documenting unspeakable harms endured by young men and teenage boys brought to light a reality that cannot be ignored or even tacitly rewarded."

“Singer’s response to The Atlantic story wrongfully used ‘homophobia’ to deflect from sexual assault allegations and GLAAD urges the media and the industry at large to not gloss over the fact that survivors of sexual assault should be put first.”

http://hill.cm/EeXBxeF 

DxtypOaW0AAxSi5.jpg
  • Sad 1

Do you get the feeling that the Academy is forced to pick so many best picture nominees when the film industry really isn't set up to support more than five, that maybe some of them winged it and figured any film named "Black Panther" must be socially relevant and voted it in, not knowing it was a super hero movie? Kind of reminds me of Donald Trump when he was a TCM guest programmer years ago and hadn't seen any of the films he picked.

13 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Do you get the feeling that the Academy is forced to pick so many best picture nominees when the film industry really isn't set up to support more than five, that maybe some of them winged it and figured any film named "Black Panther" must be socially relevant and voted it in, not knowing it was a super hero movie? Kind of reminds me of Donald Trump when he was a TCM guest programmer years ago and hadn't seen any of the films he picked.

No. In fact, I'd wager Black Panther was probably seen by more Academy members than any other nominated movie this year. Yes, people knowingly watch superhero movies. And many of them enjoy them, too. 

45 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

GLAAD removes "Bohemian Rhapsody" from film award consideration over allegations against director Bryan Singer

This is an asinine decision, and it disrespects all of the other people who worked on the film. Don't give Singer an award, but the rest of the cast and crew shouldn't be penalized for his horrendous behavior, some of which saw him fired from the film before it was even completed, despite his getting sole final credit for direction.

34 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

This is an asinine decision, and it disrespects all of the other people who worked on the film. Don't give Singer an award,

Is there even any actual evidence against him though? Denying him a reward because of unsubstantiated allegations isn't much better.

9 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Is there even any actual evidence against him though? Denying him a reward because of unsubstantiated allegations isn't much better.

Physical evidence, as in DNA evidence? No, probably not. But there have been accusations and reports of his predatory behavior for over 20 years. The reported reason that he had his drug freak-out and left Bohemian Rhapsody (and I mean left...he just quit showing up one day) was because there was supposed to be a Weinstein-esque expose published in some magazine. That ended up not happening then, but this recent report may be that same article with even more accusers. 

Much like with Spacey and Weinstein, there have been stories of Singer's problems for a long time, on multiple occasions and with multiple accusers. It doesn't seem to be a case of one or two possible victims saying something for fame and/or money. 

What happened to Timothee Chalamet in Beautiful Boy?

18 hours ago, calvinnme said:

No, Black Panther is the one they "wanted", and sort of had pegged from February as "Maybe this will be good enough!"  (Ie., in its "social significance", not the fact that they just found out for the first time that Marvel movies are actually kinda neat.)  The black voters wanted it as "their" nomination long before BlacKKKlansman made a showing; everyone else wanted it for the Pixar Value of finally seeing a Marvel movie get something non-technical after ten years.

The "Guesses" happen when we get Acting nominations upgraded to a Picture nomination (qv. Bohemian Rhapsody)--Or start cribbing buzz-favorites from the Golden Globes, like those people who, stack of bibles, actually thought Mary Poppins Returns would be a Best Picture contender.

And yes, they've been trying to kill '09's failed ten-nomination "experiment" ("Maybe it'll bring more commercial films in, and Dark Knight and Wall-E would have had a chance!") since 2015, but something always keeps them from getting around to it.

LAWRENCE & JAKEEM, I just posted a couple items on just this very thing, the 2018 Oscars, but it's already gone?

PLEASE HELP!

Scored 8 for 8 on Best Film nominees.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:24 PM, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

For those who are interested, the 2019 Oscar nominees have been announced. 

Below are the major categories and nominees:

Best Picture

“Black Panther” 

“A Star Is Born” 

“Roma”

“The Favourite”

“Vice”

“Bohemian Rhapsody”

“Green Book”

“BlacKkKlansman”

Best Actress

Glenn Close, “The Wife”

Lady Gaga, “A Star Is Born” 

Yalitza Aparicio, “Roma”

Olivia Colman, “The Favourite”

Melissa McCarthy, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”

Best Actor

Christian Bale, “Vice”

Bradley Cooper, “A Star Is Born”

Viggo Mortensen, “Green Book” 

Willem Dafoe, “At Eternity’s Gate”

Rami Malek, “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Best Supporting Actress

Amy Adams, “Vice”

Marina de Tavira, “Roma”

Regina King, “If Beale Street Could Talk” 

Emma Stone, “The Favourite” 

Rachel Weisz, “The Favourite” 

Best Supporting Actor

Mahershala Ali, “Green Book”

Adam Driver, “BlacKkKlansman”

Sam Elliott, “A Star Is Born”

Richard E. Grant, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”

Sam Rockwell, “Vice”

Best Director

Spike Lee, “BlacKkKlansman”

Pawel Pawlikowski, “Cold War”

Yorgos Lanthimos, “The Favourite” 

Alfonso Cuarón, “Roma”

Adam McKay, “Vice”

Best Original Screenplay

“First Reformed”

“Green Book”

“Roma”

“The Favourite”

“Vice”  

Best Adapted Screenplay

“BlacKkKlansman”

“Can You Ever Forgive Me?”

“A Star Is Born”

Best Cinematography

“Cold War”

“The Favourite”

“Never Look Away”

“Roma”

“A Star Is Born” 

Best Animated Film

“Incredibles 2” 

“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”

“Mirai”

“Ralph Breaks the Internet”

“Isle Of Dogs”

Best Animated Short Film

“Animal Behaviour”

“Bao”

“Late Afternoon”

“One Small Step”

“Weekends”

Best Live Action Short Film

“Detainment”

“Fauve”

“Marguerite”

“Mother”

“Skin”

Best Foreign Language Film

“Capernaum”

“Cold War” 

“Never Look Away”

“Roma”

“Shoplifters”

Best Documentary Feature

“Free Solo” 

“Minding The Gap” 

“Of Fathers and Sons” 

“RBG”

“Hale County This Morning, This Evening”

Best Documentary Short Subject

“Black Sheep”

“End Game”

“Lifeboat”

“A Night at the Garden”

“Period. End of Sentence.”

Best Production Design

“Black Panther”

“First Man”

“The Favourite” 

“Mary Poppins Returns” 

“Roma” 

Best Film Editing

“BlacKkKlansman”

“Bohemian Rhapsody”

“Green Book”

“The Favourite”

“Vice” 

Best Sound Editing

“A Quiet Place”

“Black Panther”

“Bohemian Rhapsody”

“First Man”

“Roma”

Best Sound Mixing

“Black Panther”

“Bohemian Rhapsody”

“First Man”

“Roma”

“A Star Is Born”

Best Original Score

“Black Panther”

“BlacKkKlansman”

“Isle of Dogs”

“Mary Poppins Returns”

Best Original Song

“All The Stars” ― “Black Panther”

“I’ll Fight” ― “RBG”

“Shallow” ― “A Star Is Born”

“The Place Where Lost Things Go” ― “Mary Poppins Returns”

“When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings” ― “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs”

Best Costume Design

“Black Panther”

“The Favourite”

“Mary Poppins Returns”

“Mary Queen of Scots”

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

“Border”

“Mary Queen of Scots”

“Vice”

Best Visual Effects

“Avengers: Infinity War”

“Christopher Robin”

“First Man”

“Ready Player One”

“Solo: A Star Wars Story”

BAGEL, usually the ever great Jakeem covers this stuff, but i's good you did too!  ARE YOU GOINNA' JOIN-IN & PREDICT THE WINNERS TOO?>-(check out my posts)

I didn't see the enormously popular "BLACK PANTHER" winning more then maybe 2, thought it would be up for more tech nods but obviously nope  ^ it's officially the #3rd highest grossing motion picture of all-time-(domestically) at over $700 million too.  I liked it (strong ***) but thought it was overrated a lot.

Another lock & BLOW-OUT come Feb. 24th at "THE DOLBY THEATRE"-9was "The Kodak theatre" on my 3 vacations out there?)

Is Best 0. Song & "SHALLOW" from "A STAR IS BORN!"

Gotta admit Lady GaGa is a superior singer & actress-(not all-around entertainer though) then my "Queen" MADONNA LOUISE CICCONE of whom helped her hit the high note BIG-TIME!