Cold_Bold_Callahan

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

15 posts in this topic

I found this for sale on my local Craigslist, and had to have it. It's in great shape, and is really cool. Anyone know any history of it? I've searched and searched, and can't find anything about it, or anything like it. I'm hoping that means I got a rare piece! I don't really care that much, I'll like it just as much, even if it isn't all that rare. Being hard to come by, would just make it all that much better! 

I am going to carefully clean it up, and put a new cord and shade on it. The cord is damaged, and the owner didn't have the shade. I'm going to get a vintage canvas cord for it, if I can find one. And I'm going to get a old school looking shade. 

I'll get some better pictures of it once I have it all cleaned up, and completed!

20190122_185352.jpg

20190122_185401.jpg

20190122_185409.jpg

• Like 5

well? what about them? i can't quite make out each one...but I dont see any chips or dents or nicks....thats the important thing...

The faces I can detect are these:

• Laurel and Hardy
  • WC Fields
  • Boris Karloff as Frankenstein?
  • Bela Lugosi as Dracula (really difficult to see, but you can just barely spot the fangs)
  • George Raft?
  • Baby Snooks (?) Little Orphan Annie? or some other female? Babs Stanwyck?
  • Leo Gorsey?

I'll get better pics when it's all cleaned up guys. I'll get some good close ups, as well as show all the sides in detail. 

I picked up this sassy pants old piece of film history for $35

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

The faces I can detect are these:

• Laurel and Hardy
  • WC Fields
  • Boris Karloff as Frankenstein?
  • Bela Lugosi as Dracula (really difficult to see, but you can just barely spot the fangs)
  • George Raft?
  • Baby Snooks (?) Little Orphan Annie? or some other female? Babs Stanwyck?
  • Leo Gorsey?

Bottom left of Oliver Hardy looks like Fu Manchu.

Do I detect by the scale of the switch plate, this is a large item? Resin? Plaster?

I think the floating heads are pretty scary too! But congrats on finding that unique treasure!

I suggest you lightly wash it with a slightly damp toothbrush to clean all the cracks thoroughly. A water based product will dry the surface and an oil based product will moisturize the paint while cleaning. I use straight mineral oil, sometimes white vinegar if it needs actual stain removal. Q-tips & toothpicks are also tricks of my trade. And yes, my workshop often smells like a salad.

90% of my work as a restorer is just cleaning years of filth & neglect. But it helps to know how & use the correct materials.

I love kitsch Hollywood decor. My living room is full of it.

• Like 1

Yes, it is a very large lamp. It is definitely some sort of plaster, or plaster type material. It probably weighs at least 25lbs, more I'd say, if I'm being honest. I will follow your cleaning instructions, and try to get some good pics of it next to ordinary items, to give you some sense of scale, and how big it is. 

• Thanks 1

Really cool! I can understand the sentimental value for that on a scale far greater than for Darren McGavin's leg lamp.