Sign in to follow this  
Swithin

Kaye Ballard (1925-2019)

12 posts in this topic

Sorry to read about this. She truly was one of the greats.

Loved watching her on The Mothers-in-Law with Eve Arden.

screen-shot-2019-01-22-at-6.30.19-pm.png

• Like 3

I remember her from THE PERRY COMO SHOW in the 50s. Funny lady. She was also really good in THE RITZ.

In 2004 she published a book with a funny title:

How I Lost 10 Pounds in 53 Years: A Memoir

Love Kaye Ballard. One way to remember her: go to YouTube and listen to her singing "Lazy Afternoon" from The Golden Apples.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Sorry to read about this. She truly was one of the greats.

Loved watching her on The Mothers-in-Law with Eve Arden.

screen-shot-2019-01-22-at-6.30.19-pm.png

I thought she was an absolute laugh riot on the mothers-in-law always threatening to put an Italian curse on somebody.

• Like 1

She was great. Loved her in everything, especially the MIL. Sorry she's gone...Rest In peace.

I always thought she was cool.  This is sad news.

I saw her many years ago do a send-up of the then fresh Oscar winning song "Shaft" on Johnny Carson's "Tonight" show.  :D 

RIP Kaye.  :( 

Sepiatone

8 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I thought she was an absolute laugh riot on the mothers-in-law always threatening to put an Italian curse on somebody.

The character was harder and more abrasive in the first season. They softened her in the second season. Though that might have been because the mothers became grandmothers at that point, so different facets of their personalities were explored.

Originally the role was intended for Ann Sothern, who had a good track record on sitcoms. But NBC felt Ann and Eve's styles were too similar, so Kaye was brought in to provide a stronger contrast.

Kaye Ballard and Eve Arden were good friends off-screen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

The character was harder and more abrasive in the first season. They softened her in the second season. Though that might have been because the mothers became grandmothers at that point, so different facets of their personalities were explored.

Originally the role was intended for Ann Sothern, who had a good track record on sitcoms. But NBC felt Ann and Eve's styles were too similar, so Kaye was brought in to provide a stronger contrast.

Kaye Ballard and Eve Arden were good friends off-screen.

She was hilarious on the show as the knuckle biting Italian mother. To be a contrast to Eve Arden's subtle wisecracking, they needed a loudmouth to play off of her. She was so identified as this character that when she was hired for "The Doris Day Show" they encouraged her to act her part the same way as "Mothers In Law"

I was dreading this day, well I still have the DVDs to remember this unique talent.

• Like 2