LawrenceA

April 2019 Schedule is up

36 posts in this topic

It kind of looks like they’re putting all SOTM stuff in one week?? Was Garbo perhaps the SOTM in April 1994? 

Looking it over, it would appear that perhaps there are special themes to celebrate TCM’s 25th anniversary? I say this because of the “Best of the Essentials” theme.  I really hope that they use Robert Osborne’s introductions and/or pay tribute to him in some manner.  

I need to go to bed, but I look forward to reviewing the schedule tomorrow. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a heads up. The entire schedule is up right now. Hey, the Saga of Gosta Berling is scheduled. Larry, that's in the Swedish edition of 1001 Movies, just so you know.

MV5BOWQ4ZmU3MTktNjRmNy00ZDBhLTlkMmUtODBj

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woo. Back and awake... sort of.  The schedule looks more put together than it did last night.  It makes more sense.  I'll admit I was looking at it on my phone, so actual details were harder to see.  I'm going on vacation 4/5 through 4/12, so I'll have to record anything I want to see.  My husband was telling me last night that I needed to create space on the DVR.  We'll see what happens. Lol.  It seems for every 3 things I delete, I record 5 in their place.

Noir Alley

4/6 99 River Street

4/13 Nobody Lives Forever

4/20 Woman on the Run

4/27 M (1951)

 

4/1

Debbie Reynolds Birthday Tribute

-It Started With a Kiss.  This was a cute movie. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.  If I remember correctly, Debbie has a drunk scene where she gets inebriated while on a wine tour.  This was some wine tour, everyone was given full glasses of wine as a "sample."

-I Love Melvin.  I've been wanting to see this film again.  I enjoyed it.  If this is the film I think it is, there is a strange dance number where the dancers wear Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire masks.

4/2

Sunnyside.  A Charlie Chaplin film that I haven't seen. 

Greta Garbo's SOTM tribute does appear to be every night of the first week of April.  I'll admit that I usually don't understand her appeal.  With that said, I am interested in The Painted Veil, but mostly because I like Herbert Marshall.

4/3

Anna Karenina.  I'd like to see an adaptation of this story.

4/4

Tom, Dick and Harry.  This was an odd Ginger Rogers film, but I enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

The Flesh and the Devil.  I'd like to see one of the Garbo/John Gilbert pairings.

4/7

The Natural.  I've always wanted to see this movie.  I like Robert Redford and I like sports movies.

4/8

I love the amateur sleuth theme. I think I've seen most of these.  Though I may possibly record Murder, She Said and The Penguin Pool Murder.

4/9

Kay Francis marathon.  I am interested in Confession.

4/10

Invitation.  This sounds like an odd film. I like Dorothy McGuire, so I'd give this film a chance.

4/13

Nobody Lives Forever.  I like John Garfield.  I'm interested in this Noir Alley feature.  Though honestly, I watch/record almost every Noir Alley.

4/14

TCM's Anniversary.  Presumably these are the films that were scheduled when TCM debuted.  It'd be cool if they played Robert Osbourne's original introductions.  The information will still be accurate.

The next couple weeks feature Fan DedicationsThese must be the winners of the TCM Fan Contest.  An interesting group of films.  Some films are your standard fare, and others are more interesting.

4/15

Light in the Piazza.  I like Olivia de Havilland and I've recently discovered Yvette Mimieux and enjoy her work as well.

A Matter of Life and Death.  I always see this film in the Criterion sale ads and am always intrigued by the cover.  I didn't know anything about it.  Here's my chance to see it.

4/18

Impact.  I like Charles Coburn.  I haven't heard of this suspense film.

Detour.  I've been waiting to see this film forever.

4/20

Woman on the Run.  Great choice for Noir Alley.  Ann Sheridan was excellent in this film.  I always enjoy films that feature a creepy amusement park.

Norma Rae.  I tried recording this film the last time it was on and it didn't take for whatever reason.  Ever since I went to Sally Field's book signing a few months ago and saw her in person (!), I've been trying to watch more and more of her films.

4/22

Niagara.  I'm not recording this film, because I own it.  But this Marilyn Monroe film, I'd even argue that it was a color noir, is rarely scheduled (as far as I can tell).

4/23

Grown-up Shirley Temple birthday marathon.  I am interested in all of these films.  I like seeing Temple as a teenager.  It's interesting.  She was very pretty when she grew up.

4/26

I hope everyone's ready for it, The Garbage Pail Kids Movie is back!

4/27

M. The remake with David Wayne seems interesting.  I've always wanted to see it.  I am curious if Wayne can be as terrifying as Peter Lorre.  I mostly know of Wayne from The Tender Trap and as Blanche's dad, "Big Daddy," on The Golden Girls.

4/29

25 years of TCM marathon.  I wish they'd show more episodes of Private Screenings and not just the Liza Minnelli episode--which I love.  But I want to see other ones!

I am interested in Best of Private Screenings, The 20th Anniversary Robert Osborne Tribute, Norman Lloyd at the TCM Film Festival and Hollywood the Dream Factory hosted by Dick Cavett.

 

Apparently the DVR is getting filled up in April.  My husband will just have to deal with it.  Lol.  Actually, I have to make sure there is room for Game of Thrones.  If I can have 500 movies recorded, I guess I could give him a little space for his show.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

4/26

I hope everyone's ready for it, The Garbage Pail Kids Movie is back!

Oh boy. Help us all.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the 4th go round for Garbo? I dont mind that much as it's been awhile since the last time and she's always interesting to watch, even if most of her films have really dated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

4/9

Kay Francis marathon.  I am interested in Confession.

I do hope that you watch: Jewel Robbery (1932) which airs that afternoon. William Powell and Kay Francis are quite wonderful together. To have Alan Mowbray is a great bonus.

I am sure that you are aware that: Footsteps In The Dark (1941) which airs that evening stars that tall guy with the funny mustache. I quite love him in the role and wish that he had made more movies of that type. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Is this the 4th go round for Garbo? I dont mind that much as it's been awhile since the last time and she's always interesting to watch, even if most of her films have really dated.

I was thinking that maybe she was selected because she was the first TCM SOTM ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I do hope that you watch: Jewel Robbery (1932) which airs that afternoon. William Powell and Kay Francis are quite wonderful together. To have Alan Mowbray is a great bonus.

I am sure that you are aware that: Footsteps In The Dark (1941) which airs that evening stars that tall guy with the funny mustache. I quite love him in the role and wish that he had made more movies of that type. 

I am trying to remember if I've seen Jewel Robbery.  If not, I'll definitely record it.  Thank you.

I am well aware of Footsteps in the Dark.  In fact, I just watched it a couple weeks ago.  I own a copy.  I love his attempt at a Texan accent.  "I felt that right down to my spurs!" Brenda Marshall is bland, per usual.  Though she is funny in the scene where she watches Lee Patrick's burlesque show.  My favorite parts of this movie is him of course and William Frawley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

It kind of looks like they’re putting all SOTM stuff in one week?? Was Garbo perhaps the SOTM in April 1994? 

Looking it over, it would appear that perhaps there are special themes to celebrate TCM’s 25th anniversary? I say this because of the “Best of the Essentials” theme.  I really hope that they use Robert Osborne’s introductions and/or pay tribute to him in some manner.  

I need to go to bed, but I look forward to reviewing the schedule tomorrow. 

 

So the SOTM is all in ONE WEEK? I dont like when they do that. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to hear about Kay Francis day, unsure why (her birthday is this month). Nothing that's never been shown before, but many of her best known and interesting roles.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I was thinking that maybe she was selected because she was the first TCM SOTM ?

You're probably right there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Nice to hear about Kay Francis day, unsure why (her birthday is this month). Nothing that's never been show before, but many of her best known and interesting roles.......

They seldom show her Paramount and Universal films. I'd love to see WHEN THE DALTONS RODE (1940) on the schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see her Paramount pre-codes. Especially Girls About Town. :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I'd love to see her Paramount pre-codes. Especially Girls About Town. 

The only Paramount precode starring Kay Francis that I remember on TCM was FOR THE DEFENSE (1930). They aired it more than once, because they were pushing the DVD-- it had been released as part of the Universal Vault series. I believe they aired it in primetime as part of a group of films starring Kay Francis & William Powell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. That's the only one I remember also. Figures there had to be a tie in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've gone through the schedule, and don't see much of interest to me.

The Detective (1954, April 4/5 3:15 AM ET) is an Alec Guinness film I haven't seen, so it's the highlight of the month.

I may end up recording some of the Garbo films that I haven't seen. Or not.

April 24th features both The Killer Shrews and The Brain That Wouldn't Die, so I know what everyone will be watching that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4/26: The daytime programming is a Wheeler and Woolsey marathon, some of which I haven't seen.

Regarding Garbo: Is there a reason As You Desire Me (1932) wasn't programmed as part of this or the last time she was SOTM? It was an MGM production and theoretically should be available to TCM.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

4/26: The daytime programming is a Wheeler and Woolsey marathon, some of which I haven't seen.

Regarding Garbo: Is there a reason As You Desire Me (1932) wasn't programmed as part of this or the last time she was SOTM? It was an MGM production and theoretically should be available to TCM.

I was wondering the same thing. "As You Desire Me" is rarely shown even though it was an MGM film. When I first saw the April schedule and that Garbo was SOTM the first thought in my mind was finally they'll show "As You Desire Me". I went thru the list twice and saw it's not scheduled. What is the reason why TCM keeps this film in mothballs? Are there some "rights issues" involved? Since Garbo is SOTM and TCM has easy access to all her films why did they leave out "As You Desire Me" and  "Inspiration".  Why did they leave these two films out?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where is "Johnboy"? I know he/she would be thrilled to have Garbo is SOTM. There haven't been any posts from this fan for a long time. Did something happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I've gone through the schedule, and don't see much of interest to me.

The Detective (1954, April 4/5 3:15 AM ET) is an Alec Guinness film I haven't seen, so it's the highlight of the month.

I may end up recording some of the Garbo films that I haven't seen. Or not.

April 24th features both The Killer Shrews and The Brain That Wouldn't Die, so I know what everyone will be watching that day.

Is that Jan in the pan?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, midnight08 said:

Where is "Johnboy"? I know he/she would be thrilled to have Garbo is SOTM. There haven't been any posts from this fan for a long time. Did something happen?

Yes, I hope she finds out. She hasnt posted in years. Dunno what happened to her (I think it was a she, despite the name) I think she may have been an older poster. Perhaps she passed.

She had a one track mind. All her posts were about Garbo, nothing else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, midnight08 said:

I was wondering the same thing. "As You Desire Me" is rarely shown even though it was an MGM film. When I first saw the April schedule and that Garbo was SOTM the first thought in my mind was finally they'll show "As You Desire Me". I went thru the list twice and saw it's not scheduled. What is the reason why TCM keeps this film in mothballs? Are there some "rights issues" involved? Since Garbo is SOTM and TCM has easy access to all her films why did they leave out "As You Desire Me" and  "Inspiration".  Why did they leave these two films out?

I seem to remember As You Desire Me was shown recently, maybe a year ago? As I remember it wasnt part of any Garbo tribute. For some reason, this film is rarely shown (among her talkies). Unsure why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I seem to remember As You Desire Me was shown recently, maybe a year ago? As I remember it wasnt part of any Garbo tribute. For some reason, this film is rarely shown (among her talkies). Unsure why.

According to MovieCollectorOH's database, it was last shown December 2006 and has been shown 15 times total. It is based on a Luigi Pirandello play, so literary rights could be a factor. Still, it seems strange that TCM would have shown it so many times and then completely shelved it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm almost sure it's been shown in the last year. I thought about recording it because it's seldom on, but I didnt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us