Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Greta Garbo as SOTM April 2019

36 posts in this topic

I heard they discovered a "long thought lost" Sherlock Holmes flick a while ago, too. One never knows what may eventually come to light as more and more people clean out their attics.

Anyway my two fave Garbo flicks are 'Queen Christina' and 'Anna Christie'. In the O'Neill play, her thick accent really seems apropos. It's so thick you could cut it like a horse.

On 1/24/2019 at 6:17 AM, TopBilled said:

It's the fourth time for her (she's the most honored star now). They are putting all her films in one week, at the beginning of April, to commemorate TCM's 25th anniversary. She was their very Star of the Month in 1994.

I wish they would not have played so late the excellent doc THE DIVINE GRETA GARBO... to boot, the doc was not scheduled on WatchTCM. Sigh !!!

15 minutes ago, Cinesi said:

I wish they would not have played so late the excellent doc THE DIVINE GRETA GARBO... to boot, the doc was not scheduled on WatchTCM. Sigh !!!

Yeah, I noticed it aired at an ungodly hour. But it does get rerun every so often. There will be another chance to see it again.

1 hour ago, Cinesi said:

Yes! It aired after midnight in my time zone, and the last time I remember catching the end of it, it was airing at 3pm my time zone. Don't they usually show these type of specials preceding the actor's films?

On 4/3/2019 at 11:58 AM, midwestan said:

I'm not big into Garbo either, but I have been checking out her work this week.  I think the best overall work she did in the 26 American films she shot was during the silent era.  She had a fairly expressive face and good body movements to convey to the audience the emotions and moods present in a scene.

Dave Karger mentioned prior to the showing of "Torrent" that the musical score by Arthur Barrow was beautiful, and he turned out to be right.  The recurring music that played each time Garbo and Cortez were in a scene together was very Spanish-sounding and I thought was tender and bittersweet at the same time, just like the overall theme of the movie.

Having read some of the background information about Greta Garbo on IMDB, it's a testament to her and her male co-stars that they were able to make such memorable and acclaimed films since more often than not, they didn't get along with each other.  For Garbo herself, to stick with the industry as long as she did (all 15 years at MGM) with all the tragedy, distractions, and publicity (good and bad) she faced after she came here from Europe, is quite an accomplishment.

I hate all these subforums.

Arthur Barrow was Giorgio Moroder's keyboardist on movie soundtracks/albums during the 1980s.  Flashdance (What A Feeling) , Top Gun (Take My Breath Away), The Breakfast Club, and Metropolis.  He is one of those performers who everybody's heard but nobody knows about.

He composed, performed and recorded the music for Torrent in the period of about two months, back in 1997.

Also he did:
The Boob (1926, starring Joan Crawford)
The Cameraman (1928, starring Buster Keaton)
The Last Warning (1928, starring Laura La Plante) - though I've only seen this last one mentioned on Wikipedia - so not quite sure about that.

I mentioned this in the April thread in the general topics forum, a few days before it showed.  Glad you caught it.

• Like 1

Well, it's April 6th, and our SOTM salute has already come to an end. 😕

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sagebrush said:

Well, it's April 6th, and our SOTM salute has already come to an end. 😕

Yes, they've had other ones that were done in a week, but usually the week was mid-month. The next Star of the Month programming will not occur until the 1st of May, when Paul Newman's tribute begins.

• Sad 1

On 1/24/2019 at 9:17 AM, TopBilled said:

It's the fourth time for her (she's the most honored star now). They are putting all her films in one week, at the beginning of April, to commemorate TCM's 25th anniversary. She was their very Star of the Month in 1994.

Wow! Well, she was one of the greats. Of both silent and talkie films! 

I see now why their show her films this month, its all part of their big 25th anniversary!

• Like 1

One of the ones I watched was The Painted Veil and I saw something I've never seen before, or at least didn't notice when I saw it years ago. In the titles the name GARBO came up, all in caps and in glittery letters, then the glitter faded but the GARBO script in black stayed under the whole rest of the title sequence. I know she was a thing, but I've never seen an actor's name stay up the whole time, and only the last name at that. Plus it was a very "unglittery" movie, so the whole treatment was pretty extraordinary. No doubt about it, MGM sold the heck out of her.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DougieB said:

One of the ones I watched was The Painted Veil and I saw something I've never seen before, or at least didn't notice when I saw it years ago. In the titles the name GARBO came up, all in caps and in glittery letters, then the glitter faded but the GARBO script in black stayed under the whole rest of the title sequence. I know she was a thing, but I've never seen an actor's name stay up the whole time, and only the last name at that. Plus it was a very "unglittery" movie, so the whole treatment was pretty extraordinary. No doubt about it, MGM sold the heck out of her.

Hunt Stromberg was the producer of that picture. And of course, it underperformed at the box office.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 8:10 AM, DougieB said:

I think they used just the Garbo a few times in credits but never that trick again that I know of.