Gershwin fan

Bill Maher on superhero movie craze

112 posts in this topic

What the mainstream media can never just come right out and confront: Americans are little better than orangutans. The single most moronic people on the planet.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

What the mainstream media can never just come right out and confront: Americans are little better than orangutans. The single most moronic people on the planet.

You couldn't have picked a worse word than "orangutans" in a thread about Bill Maher!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jakeem said:

You couldn't have picked a worse word than "orangutans" in a thread about Bill Maher!

Aren't you a big fan of Bill Maher? :huh: 

37 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Aren't you a big fan of Bill Maher? :huh: 

Yes, of course. But you should Google "Maher" and "orangutans" together -- and see what you get!

• Haha 3

I must say....  I  agree with Mr. Maher on this topic.  Like his "jab" at KEVIN SMITH.  I do know a lot of 40, 50 and even 60+ year old guys who look like their 9 year old GRANDSONS gave them fashion advice.  :D

And remember, GEORGE CARLIN, more than 20 years ago said...

"Any WHITE GUY over the age of 10 that wears his baseball cap BACKWARDS is AN ABOMINATION!"  ;) 

I must admit that even AS a kid, I really didn't get "into" the superhero comics that much.  SUPERMAN was the only one I ever paid money for.  Mostly I was into the quick witted and sardonic ARCHIE comics than anything else.  Mostly the BOB MONTANA era.  And too, while I still like a lot of the things I did as a kid, I keep them in perspective.  Like occasionally watching some DVD of old WARNER BROTHERS or other cartoons now and then, it's only on OCCASION, and not indicative of any kind of LIFESTYLE.  And too, I recall that me and my friends would often "rzz" those guys doing "girlie" things, like playing with DOLLS( G.I.Joe was considered as one).  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I've been saying the same thing for years (albeit humorlessly) 

That guy who "dresses like a kid" is what my friend calls "the giant toddler look", especially funny when the guy shaves his head.

01-toddler-temper-tantrum.jpg

The long loose shirt, long, droopy crotch shorts-funniest when so long all that's exposed is that ankle tattoo. As a cashier, I am forever amazed 80% of men are wearing cartoon/superhero/vulgar slogan design t-shirts. Women go for the Disney charactors.

The worst scenario is when I mention an adult has still not "grown up" or matured and the retort is "Heck, I NEVER want to grow up!" like it's something to be proud of. No wonder we have the Pres we do-too many in this country respond to grade school attitudes & tactics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great funny penetrating rant by a very adult man. Thanks for posting this video.

Viva Bill Maher!

• Like 2

So...is this a good time to say that I like superhero movies? :lol:

Maher's complaints seem to be more about the people who make comic books, or other kid-oriented stuff like cartoons and video games, a way of life. I've watched Maher for over 20 years, since the old Comedy Central days, through the ABC years, and now the HBO series (although I haven't much in the last year or two as I dropped HBO), and he's always voiced dislike of any science fiction, fantasy or other "unrealistic" films. In that regard, he often sounds like one of those people who feel it's necessary to reaffirm to everyone else how "mature and adult" they are, and that those who don't share the same tastes are therefore not so. It's one of his many failings, but I still find him humorous and occasionally insightful.

As far as the so-called "comic book culture", I'm with him, but that extends to all ultra fannish cultures, be it sports or any other entertainment that people become slavishly devoted to. I know it may sound odd from someone who watches as many movies as I do, but I've never quite understood the "super-fan" mentality. Wearing shirts or other clothing emblazoned with some character or team mascot, dressing up in costume, whether as Spider-Man, Mr. Spock, or body-painted Patriots fans, they all seem silly to me outside of a costume party. People who paint sports team logos on their vehicles are just as ridiculous to me as someone with a Captain America tattoo on their arm.

I've enjoyed many (not all) comic book movies, but I haven't bought or read a comic book in nearly 30 years, nor do I own any clothing with comic characters (or any other characters or corporate logos). I don't own any "action figures" other than a model of the Bronze Talos from Jason and the Argonauts. It gathers dust on a high shelf, next to my Aurora model-kit glow-in-the-dark statue of the Boris Karloff Mummy. I don't dress in the jersey-and-long-shorts uniform of the perpetual adolescent. Nor do I play video games, although I have in the past (I no longer own any gaming machine).

For me, a superhero movie is no different from watching The Adventures of Robin HoodThe Mask of ZorroFlash GordonThe Flame and the Arrow, and on and on. They are all fantasy to one extent or another, all basic morality plays made flashy and spectacular through one cinematic technique or another, and all just as valid as entertainment as any other. The level of quality fluctuates as it does with all films, books, music, etc. And the enjoyment of one does not preclude the appreciation of other types of more "high-minded" art. I like the works of Kurosawa, Bergman, Fellini, De Sica, Bresson, Bunuel, Ozu, and Dreyer, while at the same time liking many horror, science fiction, fantasy, and yes, even superhero movies. 

• Like 7

Will never understand the appeal of Bill Maher…I find him the despicable form of male, the poster child of yuck. 👎

💋

• Like 1

He's just one opinion of many. I couldn't care less frankly.

Movies are just fun to watch and enjoy. Superheroes are not different than James Bond who never gets tired or hurt or shot or caught, the cowboy who always wins the shoot out, the fast and the furious racer who never crashes or loses control, the swashbuckling swordsman who always wins the duel,... Its all fantasy.

Just because some adults would rather dress up like Princess Leia and Han Solo than to sit through Macbeth doesn't make them any less or more a grown up. We live in a society where people can express themselves in any way they wish. Its called freedom of expression.

I only blame those who Maher claims were begging him to give a comment on Stan Lee's death. Why should anyone care about some man's opinion in the first place ? His is no better or worse than anybody else's.

2 hours ago, JeanneCrain said:

Will never understand the appeal of Bill Maher…I find him the despicable form of male, the poster child of yuck. 👎

💋

Too bad for you.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I must say....  I  agree with Mr. Maher on this topic. 

And remember, GEORGE CARLIN, more than 20 years ago said...

Maher, like Carlin, believes he's the All-Purpose Atheist Gadfly-at-Large, upon whom the last hopes of intelligent civilization singlehandedly depend, or else fall into Thunderdome--Which means he's too smart to be "fooled" by the Common Sheeple to bother to ever research a little decent homework into the terrible cesspool of what the heck he's talking about.  After all, that's not the point anyway, his job is to tell us how superior and annoyed he is at What He Thinks It Is.  Like Carlin, by the time he got his angry Fox sitcom, it usually starts out as comedy, and then into self-indulgent rants at everything just for the sake of personal catharsism and the Thrill of Being Hated by people you yourself loathe and despise.

(I remember a similar Maher rant against Prescription-Drug Ads that was so busy indulging I'm Annoyed With Pop Culture Invading My TV Set that it didn't even seem to understand the first basic concept about why the ads were made that way in the first place.  Apparently, someone had just deliberately made them that way to annoy him, because they were made by Stupid Happy Gullible Modern-day People.

And now, his I'm Annoyed with the Oscars trigger has finally (oh, just ten years or so) gotten around to superhero movies he was too "smart" to bother to go see, and thinks that everyone goes to see them because they're Content Overfed Gullible Sheeple Who Want to Remain Children and not grow up sophisticated and cynical like he had--And not, let's say, because a lot of people were headline-pushed into seeing a Marvel movie for the first time just like the existing core audience base, and found out that Marvel was the New Pixar, ie., that they couldn't depend on any other studio to bother to make competently entertaining commercial mainstream movies anymore.

Actually, my first reaction was "...Is he still on??  Didn't he sort of drop out of sight after his big Lone Rational Atheist Tells You You're Wrong documentary blew up?"

My record of never having agreed with a single comment made by Movie Madness on these boards remains unblemished.

• Haha 5

A lot of you apparently don't realize that Maher considers the Bible to be an assortment of superhero tales. So when it comes to his views, this is par for the course.

He even did a 2008 documentary about his distaste for religion.

Related image

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jakeem said:

A lot of you apparently don't realize that Maher considers the Bible to be an assortment of superhero tales. So when it comes to his views, this is par for the course.

He even did a 2008 documentary about his distaste for religion.

Related image

You mean to tell me that the Bible isn't an assortment of superhero tales???? 

Dang,  my dad lied to me once again.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You mean to tell me that Bible isn't an assortment of superhero tales???? 

It ain't necessarily so 
It ain't necessarily so 
The things that you're liable 
To read in the Bible 
It ain't necessarily so

-- Sportin' Life, "Porgy and Bess"

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As far as I can tell, this all started based on a post that Bill Maher made on his blog site on November 17, 2018, entitled ‘Adulting’:

http://www.real-time-with-bill-maher-blog.com/index/2018/11/16/adulting

This post was five days after the death of Stan Lee on November 12.

After the initial reaction, Bill Maher did add that he had nothing against Stan Lee but reiterated his views on fans of comic books and comic book movies, etc.  As discussed above he then doubled-down again yesterday by going even further with an “editorial” on his HBO Real Time program.

I don’t really have much of a problem with Maher’s comments about the extremes of comic book fans and culture, but what I am not OK with is the timing of what he said initially.  Since he has admitted not being familiar with what comic books and specifically Stan Lee’s work was all about, it appears to me that he was using the outpouring of sympathy towards Stan Lee’s passing as a chance to diss those he disagrees with who are big fans of comic books in general.  My biggest disappointment is that if he had taken any time at all to learn about Stan Lee’s contribution to the history of comic books he would quickly discover that Stan Lee was instrumental in trying to lift up comic books to be a more serious and relevant art form, as opposed to the “childish” stereotype that Maher is showing disdain for.  Stan Lee also added elements of social-consciousness to his stories and wrote frequent small essays in the comics where he opposed bigotry and discussed other important issues of the day starting back in the turbulent 60’s when his comic books first became popular.

No matter what Maher says about respecting Stan Lee, when he uses the moment when many people are expressing their sadness and condolences over his passing as the time to criticize and make jokes about fans of the comic book culture in general, then to me that makes him out to be an ignorant and compassionless opportunist.

4 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

As far as I can tell, this all started based on a post that Bill Maher made on his blog site on November 17, 2018, entitled ‘Adulting’:

http://www.real-time-with-bill-maher-blog.com/index/2018/11/16/adulting

This post was five days after the death of Stan Lee on November 12.

Oh, so it wasn't about the Oscars then, he was just recycling another past example of being the angry political-shock-comic Tasteless Headline-Crapping Jerk--Like when he went on his show on 9/11, and said we had to hand it to the terrorists for being more dedicated to their cause than we lazy Americans were to ours.  

It's not that he was pro-Iraqi, he was just anti-Contented, and wanted to violently shock lazy common people for voting for GWBush.

21 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Showoff-atheists seemed to be more obsessed themselves with the idea of "The Bible is Everything!" than the people they complain about do.  They can cite every example of "Public stoning" in Leviticus from memory, and can debate the scientific plausibility of Noah for hours, but couldn't give you a quote from Paul's letters to save their lives.

I was recently going through the Old Testament on audiobook--just because I grew up Lutheran as a kid, and we never pay attention to the darn Old thing anyway--and for the sake of the Moderators, don't even get me started on What Loudmouth-Atheists Get Wrong about the Bible, since they're too busy working out their own childhood issues or complaints about the current Republican administrations.

(Like the one about "First two naked people and a boat, and then six pages of 'Begat's?"  Yes:  Namely because Genesis was not written to tell people about naked people and a boat, but to try and get down on paper the ancient-Hebrew family-tree lineage of whose particular land was inherited by which descendants were "begat" of said characters...Which testate-court issue Joseph later sorts and hands out at the end of that chapter, and gets fought over all the way through Joshua.  Yes, you're basically reading a one-sided book about Real Estate disputes, before we get to the more spiritual issues in the second half, where the nice long-haired guy comes in and says "It doesn't matter whose land you have.")

This is the sort of stuff you learn when you pay attention to what you don't know, and stop complaining long enough about the things you think other people do.  As Bill says in "Religulous", "I don't know, and neither do you", and Bill, you sure didn't have to tell us the first part twice. 

• Haha 1