Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

Richard Carlson

27 posts in this topic

why is it that such a good actor like carlson who left such an indellible mark on the 1950s science fiction movie genre in such films as it came from outer space and creature from the black lagoon ended his acting career by playing mostly villains on TV westerns of the 1960s? when you see him on the virginian he's always a baddie. carlson made his mark in just a 2 year period with not just the above mentioned movies but also ivan tors' fare like the magnetic monster and riders to the stars. comet has been showing a black & white print of that one instead of getting the color print. what grade z special effects in riders to the stars. plastic missiles zooming around on strings. tors didn't like ray guns and aliens and thought the genre should be more science-based so he uses the most laughable cheap special effects? I just wish carlson woulda ended his career by playing more heroic characters as few actors had the knack of being so genuinely affecting on screen as he could be. whatta starfleet officer he woulda made.

Richard Carlson was also a writer and we also have his delightful appearances in some of the Bell System scholastic science films like Hemo the Magnificent.

• Thanks 1

I blame it on vicious anti-space cadet bias by the Hollywood elite.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Well Carlson was in the film Bengazi,  which also starred Hillary.  (oh wait that was Hillary Brooke).

Carlson's last film was also the last one Elvis did.    Change of Habit with Mary Tyler Moore.

Carlson played a Bishop.    Ok,  not exactly heroic but better then Mary playing a nun!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rayban said:

This film granted "immortality" to the actors -

Creature-black-lagoon-poster.jpg

Very true (as well as a pair of legs!).

• Like 1

Don't forget that Richard Carlson lusted after Tondelayo in White Cargo (1942).

bba265204dc35bdf2abeba0e46e12920.jpg

• Like 2

I know what your saying, Richard Carlson was a good actor and as one who grew up watching sci-fi films of the 50's, I always welcomed his appearance in films of that genre. Still, like most actors, as he aged, he had to take whatever work was offered to him. Besides, he probably made more money playing a villain in one TV episode  than he did for doing some of those cheap features. 

• Like 1

I watched him not long ago in an episode of Wagon Train. It's one of the 90 minute ones from December 1963. Carlson seemed to have aged quite a bit in the 60s.

screen-shot-2019-01-27-at-6.50.29-am.jpg

In this particular episode he played Laraine Day's husband, and he was not the villain. She is accused of stealing something, and the whole train gangs up against her. He and their teen son are supportive, until Day's sordid past is revealed and she seems guilty as sin. He starts to doubt his wife in a few scenes, but the problem is resolved and they're happy again at the end. 

It's The Cassie Vance Story from season 7:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0743065/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_20

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Ok,  not exactly heroic but better then Mary playing a nun!

;)

"THAN", not "THEN"  :D 

There are plenty of examples of actors and actresses that have a tenure of doing characters of one sort who later in their careers( and possibly needing the work or money) taking on roles of different sorts.  After all...

JESSICA TANDY didn't always play "Miss Daisy" types (like in that movie or FRIED GREEN TOMATOES etc.) But, like all of us, they too succumb to age and/or physical changes that make them the choice for "leading man", "hero" or "ingenue" not in the cards.  

Sepiatone

16 hours ago, Swithin said:

Don't forget that Richard Carlson lusted after Tondelayo in White Cargo (1942).

bba265204dc35bdf2abeba0e46e12920.jpg

How's this for an exchange between Lamarr and Carlson that wouldn't work today, for a number of reasons:

Tondelayo: Awyla make me sick! Always it is too hot! All time we do nothing. Awyla just sit and sit and not give hang about anything! 

Mr. Langford: What am I supposed to do? Sing and dance? Be a clown? 

Tondelayo: I married to you five months, and you not beat me once. 

Mr. Langford: Don't be ridiculous! 

Tondelayo: Awyla, please beat me. Then maybe you feel much better. Soon we make up. Much love. Many bangles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I blame it on vicious anti-space cadet bias by the Hollywood elite.

no, just tcm's they could give a sheet attitude torwards the genre.

:D

Just now, NipkowDisc said:

no, just tcm's they could give a sheet attitude torwards the genre.

Just a reminder while we're on the subject, tomorrow January 28, there is a full day of space cadet programming:

• The Invisible Boy (1957)
  • The Time Machine (1960)
  • Forbidden Planet (1956)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
  • 2010 (1984)
  • Brainstorm (1983)
  • Westworld (1973)

Alas, there doesn't appear to be any appearances by Richard Carlson. :(  

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Just a reminder while we're on the subject, tomorrow January 28, there is a full day of space cadet programming:

• The Invisible Boy (1957)
  • The Time Machine (1960)
  • Forbidden Planet (1956)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
  • 2010 (1984)
  • Brainstorm (1983)
  • Westworld (1973)

Alas, there doesn't appear to be any appearances by Richard Carlson. :(  

they are still ignoring a whole lot more than they are showing.

the above list is the same tired worn-out stuff they've been showing for years now.

I'm supposed to be grateful for the above?

I am not!

8 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I watched him not long ago in an episode of Wagon Train. It's one of the 90 minute ones from December 1963. Carlson seemed to have aged quite a bit in the 60s.

screen-shot-2019-01-27-at-6.50.29-am.jpg

In this particular episode he played Laraine Day's husband, and he was not the villain. She is accused of stealing something, and the whole train gangs up against her. He and their teen son are supportive, until Day's sordid past is revealed and she seems guilty as sin. He starts to doubt his wife in a few scenes, but the problem is resolved and they're happy again at the end. 

It's The Cassie Vance Story from season 7:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0743065/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_20

I grew up watching Richard Carlson in SciFi. I always liked him. I can vaguely remember he had a TV show about being a communist for the FBI--" I Led 3 Lives".

Until recently I wasn't even aware that he had a previous, even long-term career in the old movies.

* But I can't help but wonder if anybody else gets him mixed up with Hugh Marlowe the way I do--

even though I thought I knew his 1950s Persona rather well?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I grew up watching Richard Carlson in SciFi. I always liked him. I can vaguely remember he had a TV show about being a communist for the FBI--" I Led 3 Lives".

Until recently I wasn't even aware that he had a previous, even long-term career in the old movies.

* But I can't help but wonder if anybody else gets him mixed up with Hugh Marlowe the way I do--

even though I thought I knew his 1950s Persona rather well?

I also use to mix up Hugh Marlowe and Richard Carlson,  especially before I saw All About Eve (which put Marlowe 'on the map' for me).

• Like 2

well I doan know about that but am I the only one who thinks gene Kelly and jack lemmon looked a lot like each other?

Image result for gene kelly

Image result for jack lemmon

3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

well I doan know about that but am I the only one who thinks gene Kelly and jack lemmon looked a lot like each other?

Egads, they don't look anything alike. And their personas are so absolutely opposite.

They come from two different worlds. Could you ever picture Gene Kelly playing a sniveling introvert like Jack Lemmon's characters in " The Apartment  " and " The Odd Couple "?

Gene's Persona was a guy who was out to get what he could get, anyway he could get it, until a young lady convinced him otherwise. Gene's breakout role on Broadway was "Pal Joey";  he played that type for his whole career. Gene grew up on the streets of Pittsburgh and he never lost that Dog Eat Dog quality in the movies or in his real life.

• Like 1

I'm just saying that there is some similarity in facial appearance.

egad! how can anyone miss it?

A bit in cheek and chin structure I guess, but their eyes look nothing alike and Lemmon's nose is a lot fatter than Kelly's.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Get those bifocals checked asap.

Speaking of Richard Carlson, c'mon, he made a great villain. The part he was born to play was the rotten boss in John Cheever's story, The Five-Forty-Eight which I've seen with Zachary Scott and Laurence Luckinbill, but no one would have been better than Richard Carlson playing that bastard.

I love Richard Carlson SO MUCH!!! He can do a fine hero, and a villain as well!!!! What's wrong with that?

LOVE him in IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE

and, as the vicious guy in: TORMENTED [1960] (a blast to watch in the MST3K version, as well.)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I'm just saying that there is some similarity in facial appearance.

egad! how can anyone miss it?

As my plastic surgeon once said...just because Jayne Mansfield and Marilyn Monroe both have blonde hair, does not mean they look alike in physiognomy.