TOASTnJAM

British movie about America

6 posts in this topic

I watch Captain Horatio Hornblower R.N. the other day on TCM (one of my fav's as a kid) and it got me thinking. Hollywood has made a lot of movies over the decades about British history (fiction and nonfiction) but I can't think of single one the other-way around. Can anybody name a British movie that involves American history only (fiction or nonfiction), one that has nothing to do with Britain. I'm sure there are at least a few.  

• Like 1

Its a kinda astounding question and I'm glad you raised it. I've seen plenty of American characters in British films but no serious slants or take-offs on American culture, Strikes me that there could be a lot of reasons for this!

MissWonderleyIII, shall be the first to opine with any incisive insight, I feel it. ;)

The British must have had quite enough of American material from Hollywood.  No need to make more of it using resources of their own.  They had all they could do to keep their movie culture from being completely inundated.  However, if you slog through enough movies on YT, you will occasionally run into the the odd British movie set in the United States, complete with British actors doing, or attempting, American accents.  To be fair, they aren't any worse than we are, doing the reverse.  A good YT channel to slog through is PizzaFlix.

2 hours ago, TOASTnJAM said:

Hollywood has made a lot of movies over the decades about British history (fiction and nonfiction) but I can't think of single one the other-way around. Can anybody name a British movie that involves American history only (fiction or nonfiction), one that has nothing to do with Britain. I'm sure there are at least a few.  

I think there is a reason for that. Britain, particularly historic Britain of the past, represents an idyllic and romantic time to America and as such is a source of fiction, much of which, in its distance, is idealized. To Britain, it is the classical world that performs that function, hence Britain's fascination with the ancient world. 

Ozymandias

Percy Bysshe Shelley, 1792 - 1822

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: “Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
‘My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

Gershwin Fan

Thanks.

I knew there had to be some and not surprised that's it westerns. I knew back in the day that westerns were as popular outside the US as they were here.