Sign in to follow this  
cigarjoe

I Am The Night (2019 TNT sister channel Neo Noir)

86 posts in this topic

Originally posted in Noir Alley thread but it should have it's own.

Ok watched episode one on TNT.

Two stories so far circa mid 60s. 

An independent junkie "paparazzi" who works as a sort low rent WeeGee sneaks into the L.A. morgue and takes a picture of what looks like a pretty gruesome corpse. He gets caught, gets beat up by the cops and thrown into a squad car with a black man.

A "trick baby" in Sparks, Nevada finds out that the woman she thought was her mother isn't. She works after school as a cleaning gal in a Catholic Hospital and she sneaks in to get her sealed records. She finds out that her grandfather is a prominent L.A. Doctor.  She phones him and he invites her to visit. She splits for The City Of Angels.

The teaser sequences alluding of things to come in L.A. seem a bit kinky.

Well filmed, but of course broken up at least 3-4 times for commercials. I'll watch episode two.

PS Had to listen/watch to some god awful Stars Wars spin off type crap wait for it to start. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great performance so far by the 25-year-old India Eisley, daughter of actress Olivia Hussey (who was 15 when she was chosen to star in Franco Zeffirelli's 1968 version of "Romeo and Juliet")! India's paternal grandfather was the actor Anthony Eisley (1925-2003).

Image result for india eisley i am the night images

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

'm not sure what to think of this yet after only one episode.   Gotta say I was a little disappointed but maybe it is just setting up the rest of the series.   Like you said, very well filmed though.

SPOILER

Chris Pine's character was very disappointing; at least so far.   I'll keep watching for now.  I am intrigued by who this grandfather is though.  He sounded pretty suspicious.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought it was decent, if highly derivative. The girl was good. I'll keep watching. It's only 6 episodes long, I think.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Solafide said:

SPOILER

Chris Pine's character was very disappointing; at least so far.   I'll keep watching for now.  I am intrigued by who this grandfather is though.  He sounded pretty suspicious.  

SPOILER

I'll take a wild guess that the grandfather may have been involved in the Elizabeth Short "Black Dahlia" murder.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I'll take a wild guess that the grandfather may have been involved in the Elizabeth Short "Black Dahlia" murder.

That was referenced in the preview for the next episodes. It's the case Pine's character was pursuing in the past that destroyed his career.

• Like 2

I saw the first episode and it was very good. The Korean War vet photographer is my favorite character. The "comedic" scene with him in the morgue reminded me of a certain scene from Twin Peaks Season 3. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 1:44 PM, LawrenceA said:

I thought it was decent, if highly derivative. The girl was good. I'll keep watching. It's only 6 episodes long, I think.

+1, so far.

I couldn't stop feeling, as I was watching, that someone really seemed to want to turn IMITATION OF LIFE into a noir.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

+1, so far.

I couldn't stop feeling, as I was watching, that someone really seemed to want to turn IMITATION OF LIFE into a noir.

Yeah, but since the limited series is based on a true story, you can just about kiss the Fanny Hurst comparisons goodbye!

2 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Yeah, but since the limited series is based on a true story, you can just about kiss the Fanny Hurst comparisons goodbye!

eh, sometimes life imitates art.

(see what I did there?)

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

eh, sometimes life imitates art.

(see what I did there?)

Ha!

Right now I feel sorry for India Eisley, who's taking a beating on Black Twitter for playing a mixed-race character. Her mother is of British and Argentinian ancestry.

• Sad 1

Have

On 1/29/2019 at 7:07 AM, jakeem said:

Great performance so far by the 25-year-old India Eisley, daughter of actress Olivia Hussey (who was 15 when she was chosen to star in Franco Zeffirelli's 1968 version of "Romeo and Juliet")! India's paternal grandfather was the actor Anthony Eisley (1925-2003).

Image result for india eisley i am the night images

she is good, and you can't take your eyes off her. she also has a very "authentic" look for a period piece (you could just see her smiling from the pages of an old yearbook)

have they really established that ELIZABETH SHORT (aka THE BLACK DAHLIA) was multiracial? I've never read that anywhere, just went to wikipedia and it's not in her bio there.

Just now, jakeem said:

Ha!

Right now I feel sorry for India Eisley, who's taking a beating on Black Twitter for playing a mixed-race character. Her mother is of British and Argentinian ancestry.

Oh Lord.

Black Twitter is the new SHOWTIME AT THE APOLLO, they come SPECIFICALLY to "BOO!"

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Have

she is good, and you can't take your eyes off her. she also has a very "authentic" look for a period piece (you could just see her smiling from the pages of an old yearbook)

have they really established that ELIZABETH SHORT (aka THE BLACK DAHLIA) was multiracial? I've never read that anywhere, just went to wikipedia and it's not in her bio there.

As Eleanor Bron's character kept telling Paul McCartney in the movie "Help!":

Image result for eleanor bron help gifs

8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Have

Spoilers again... 

I haven't heard, I was just speculating that since the Short murder and dismemberment looked as if was done professionally that her grandfather a prominent Doctor may have been the culprit.  Also who knows if she was really biracial, she was "given" to who she thought was her mother and it doesn't mean that she was biracial for sure unless I missed something.

• Thanks 1

Ya, I thought she thought she was bi racial but really isn't?   Did I miss something?  Honestly, the backlash on social media to these sorts of topics is getting nauseating.  Can't we just enjoy movies and shows for what they are?

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Spoilers again... 

I haven't heard, I was just speculating that since the Short murder and dismemberment looked as if was done professionally that her grandfather a prominent Doctor may have been the culprit.  Also who knows if she was really biracial, she was "given" to who she thought was her mother and it doesn't mean that she was biracial for sure unless I missed something.

Then maybe I missed something, or misheard something, anyway.

After she discovers her birth certificate and confronts her mother, doesn't her mother then tell her that her white married birth mother had had an affair with a black man resulting in her?

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Then maybe I missed something...or 

After she discovers her birth certificate and confronts her mother, doesn't her mother then tell her that her white married birth mother had had an affair with a black man resulting in her?

Ahhh, that's possible.  I may have missed that line then. 

4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

As Eleanor Bron's character kept telling Paul McCartney in the movie "Help!":

Image result for eleanor bron help gifs

• Like 1

I watched the first episode and found it interesting, but did not really tie in to the Black Dahlia case that I saw.  Appears they are going to take a good story and stretch it out.  Will probably watch it, but not a must see series.

I wondered if the actress was related to Anthony Eisley and now I know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

You probably did. So we'll see if she is indeed a "trick baby" or not. 

9 hours ago, TheCid said:

I watched the first episode and found it interesting, but did not really tie in to the Black Dahlia case that I saw. 

The girl's adopted "mother" tells the journalist he was on to something when he wrote the article about the grandfather being the murderer. I think that's what they're talking about.

well, if this many of you are guessing straight off that it's the grandfather, I really, really hope it's a clever RED HERRING on the part of the makers.

otherwise it's gonna be a letdown.

• Like 2

It appears that some folks on Twitter owe India Eisley apologies for jumping the gun...

Image may contain: one or more people and closeup

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1