Sign in to follow this  
cigarjoe

I Am The Night (2019 TNT sister channel Neo Noir)

86 posts in this topic

I felt the second episode was a step down from the first. I'm not feeling the Chris Pine side of the story, as the audience knows more than he does at this point, and it's dull watching him play catch-up. The girl's storyline is becoming a bit cartoonish, too. The whole thing felt clunky and contrived last night. I'll stick it out, though.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I felt the second episode was a step down from the first. I'm not feeling the Chris Pine side of the story, as the audience knows more than he does at this point, and it's dull watching him play catch-up. The girl's storyline is becoming a bit cartoonish, too. The whole thing felt clunky and contrived last night. I'll stick it out, though.

I see what you're sayin' here Lawrence, and I'm hoping once this thing gets out of second gear it'll pick up speed.

(...btw, after watching episode 2 last night, I googled "George Hodel" and was reminded of the now almost 20 y/o news story about his ex-LAPD son writing that book claiming his father was indeed the Black Dahlia's murderer)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I see what you're sayin' here Lawrence, and I'm hoping once this thing gets out of second gear it'll pick up speed.

(...btw, after watching episode 2 last night, I googled "George Hodel" and was reminded of the now almost 20 y/o news story about his ex-LAPD son writing that book claiming his father was indeed the Black Dahlia's murderer)

SPOILERS AHEAD! 

Though I'm not telling anyone who has religiously followed the Black Dahlia story anything new, yes...this show is based on incidents from the Tamar Hodel story about George Hodel, that were documented in the book, Black Dahlia Avenger by Steve Hodel. The girl being focused on in the early episodes has nothing really to do with Elizabeth Short, and this is all just background on the Hodel family and its possible connection. Personally I think any connection with George Hodel is spurious, but all these tales of people who came into contact with Elizabeth Short do make for good tv and films, so who cares if the plotline is a bit skewed. They would have done better to follow the lead of the book about Man Ray and his group, who hung out with John Huston and the placement of the body of Short, not that that story is any more verified than this version or they could do a show on the irregularities of the Police Department in those days of the late forties and their involvement with local crime figures, that might have caused them to not fully want the Dahlia story to be solved for fear of being co-opted. By the way, Pine is kind of ridiculous in the role in my opinion but the others in the cast are fine.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2019 at 1:56 AM, Gershwin fan said:

I saw the first episode and it was very good. The Korean War vet photographer is my favorite character. The "comedic" scene with him in the morgue reminded me of a certain scene from Twin Peaks Season 3. 

Right on and it also reminded me of the unused morgue footage of the corpse of Joe Gillis from Sunset Boulevard that was found in one of the DVD versions of the film that was released a while ago.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

By the way, Pine is kind of ridiculous in the role in my opinion but the others in the cast are fine.

I've liked Pine in some things (Hell and High WaterCarriersWonder Woman), but in others not so much (the new Star Trek movies, This Means WarJack Ryan: Shadow Recruit). However, I understand that his star power is what got the show green-lit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

this show is based on incidents from the Tamar Hodel story about George Hodel, that were documented in the book, Black Dahlia Avenger by Steve Hodel. 

Actually, the show is specifically based on the memoir of the main female character, Fauna Hodel:

220px-One_Day_Shell_Darken_by_Fauna_Hode

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Day_She'll_Darken:_The_Mysterious_Beginnings_of_Fauna_Hodel

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

...By the way, Pine is kind of ridiculous in the role in my opinion but the others in the cast are fine.

Gotta say here Gordie that I actually kind of like the way Pine is playing the character as one who seems to recognize the absurdity in some of the situations he finds himself in and then laughs about it.

Take that scene in episode-1 for instance and where while being beaten by the cop he's laughing at his predicament and almost as a coping mechanism.

(...I don't think I've ever seen that sort'a thing before in a film, and so I thought it was kind'a unique but still somehow believable) 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Gotta say here Gordie that I actually kind of like the way Pine is playing the character as one who seems to recognize the absurdity in some of the situations he finds himself in and then laughs about it.

Take that scene in episode-1 for instance and where while being beaten by the cop he's laughing at his predicament and almost as a coping mechanism.

(...I don't think I've ever seen that sort'a thing before in a film, and so I thought it was kind'a unique but still somehow believable) 

 

I shoulda been more specific about Pine. I actually do like the way he is playing the character. My beef was really his appearance, hair et cetera not looking very authentic for the time, but I'm probably being a stickler. He should get out some photos of Brian Donlevy or Robert Cummings since I've always thought he resembles them and emulate their styles. Then I could get more into the story without being distracted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

I shoulda been more specific about Pine. I actually do like the way he is playing the character. My beef was really his appearance, hair et cetera not looking very authentic for the time, but I'm probably being a stickler. He should get out some photos of Brian Donlevy or Robert Cummings and emulate their styles. Then I could get more into the story without being distracted.

The show is set in 1965. Pine's appearance isn't too anachronistic for me, particularly as he's hit rock bottom, or close to it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Actually, the show is specifically based on the memoir of the main female character, Fauna Hodel:

220px-One_Day_Shell_Darken_by_Fauna_Hode

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Day_She'll_Darken:_The_Mysterious_Beginnings_of_Fauna_Hodel

Of course you are right about the specificity of where this is going. I was referring to the whole scenario of George Hodel and his supposed connection to the Dahlia murder that was first chronicled in Steve's book. Thanx for clarifying about Fauna. Just went to an exhibition based on many of these interconnections which had a complete layout of Hodel's home that was a fascinating expose of his parties and dealings with family and friends that were a bit outre, to say the least. My doubts about the Steve Hodel book are based on the silly photo section where he tries to say that he found photos of the Black Dahlia in his father's belongings, which to anyone with good eyesight looks nothing like Elizabeth Short.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

The show is set in 1965. Pine's appearance isn't too anachronistic for me, particularly as he's hit rock bottom, or close to it.

Well, I will say I did enjoy seeing that shirt he was wearing, in the first episode, in color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GordonCole said:

I shoulda been more specific about Pine. I actually do like the way he is playing the character. My beef was really his appearance, hair et cetera not looking very authentic for the time, but I'm probably being a stickler. He should get out some photos of Brian Donlevy or Robert Cummings and emulate their styles. Then I could get more into the story without being distracted.

Yeah, ya know I also noticed his hairstyle being just a bit anachronistic to the mid-'60s setting too, Gordie.

However, I wouldn't have picked Donlevy or Cummings as hairstyles for him to have emulated, as both those actors would have been too old by that time era, and would have perhaps been better examples in this regard IF the film's setting had been 15 years earlier.

(...I'm thinkin' a little more like a look that say George Peppard or George Hamilton might have sported during that time era)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dargo said:

(...I'm thinkin' a little more like a look that say George Peppard or George Hamilton might have sported during that time era)

But if Peppard or Hamilton had their careers ruined and had fallen into drug addiction and frequent violent run-ins with the law and other unsavory sorts...their hair may look kind of shaggy. Maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, ya know I also noticed his hairstyle being just a bit anachronistic to the mid-'60s setting too, Gordie.

However, I wouldn't have picked Donlevy or Cummings as hairstyles for him to have emulated, as both those actors would have been too old by that time era, and would have perhaps been better examples in this regard IF the film's setting had been 15 years earlier.

(...I'm thinkin' a little more like a look that say George Peppard or George Hamilton might have sported during that time era)

 

Just meant Pine kinda has a resemblance to both actors. Maybe I'm a bit down on the whole shebang knowing that after reading all these books on the Hodel family connections, I can't see why the producers made up the Pine character anyway as he seems not important to the actual multiple storylines which occur over decades of time. Maybe I should just drink more as I watch and stop worrying about details? Any suggestions on which brewski might help me get through the series without retching?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LawrenceA said:

But if Peppard or Hamilton had their careers ruined and had fallen into drug addiction and frequent violent run-ins with the law and other unsavory sorts...their hair may look kind of shaggy. Maybe.

Yep, actually a good point here, Lawrence.

Yep, I would say upon further reflection here that a guy in Pine's circumstances at that time, probably wouldn't have cared less if his hair was slicked down with Brylcream ("a little dab will do ya") or not, huh. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

Just meant Pine kinda has a resemblance to both actors. Maybe I'm a bit down on the whole shebang knowing that after reading all these books on the Hodel family connections, I can't see why the producers made up the Pine character anyway as he seems not important to the actual multiple storylines which occur over decades of time. Maybe I should just drink more as I watch and stop worrying about details? Any suggestions on which brewski might help me get through the series without retching?

Beer: Fat Tire Belgian Style Ale

Whisky: Balvenie 12 y/o Double Barrel Single Malt

Tequila: Senor Rio aged Anejo

Wine: Well, whatever the hell varietal TCM is pushin' this month in their little wine club

(...hope this helps)

;)

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Beer: Fat Tire Belgian Style Ale

Whisky: Balvenie 12 y/o Double Barrel Single Malt

Tequila: Senor Rio aged Anejo

Wine: Well, whatever the hell varietal TCM is pushin' this month in their little wine club

(...hope this helps)

;)

 

I see a Fat Tire in my future if I partake of all these fluids but who cares. I'll stay away from the worms and tequila but I might play some albums by the Majors as I quaff, and maybe I should look for a curated TCM wine that is cheaper than Dom Perignon but with a kick like rubbing alcohol to get me through more episodes of the TNT melodrama?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

I see a Fat Tire in my future if I partake of all these fluids but who cares. I'll stay away from the worms and tequila but I might play some albums by the Majors as I quaff, and maybe I should look for a curated TCM wine that is cheaper than Dom Perignon but with a kick like rubbing alcohol to get me through more episodes of the TNT melodrama?

No no no, Gordie. You're confusing bad and cheap Tequila with the GOOD and more expensive and aged Tequila here, dude!

Bad and cheap Tequila is the stuff one downs quickly from a shot glass and then must do that whole lime or lemon thing, but GOOD and expensive and aged Tequila (and like the one I suggested above) is something one slowly savors and just like one does with a good Single Malt Scotch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Beer: Fat Tire Belgian Style Ale

Whisky: Balvenie 12 y/o Double Barrel Single Malt

Tequila: Senor Rio aged Anejo

Wine: Well, whatever the hell varietal TCM is pushin' this month in their little wine club

(...hope this helps)

;)

 

If it were me, I'd go with a Deschutes Pinedrop IPA (Pinedrop, Chris Pine, lol) & any Oregon Pinot Noir--I live in Wine Country after all.

I'm not much of a whisky or tequila connoisseur, so I'll stand behind your selections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

No no no, Gordie. You're confusing bad and cheap Tequila with the GOOD and more expensive and aged Tequila here, dude!

Bad and cheap Tequila is the stuff one downs quickly from a shot glass and then must do that whole lime or lemon thing, but GOOD and expensive and aged Tequila (and like the one I suggested above) is something one slowly savors and just like one does with a good Single Malt Scotch.

I bow to your expertise, Mister D! You sound like someone who would be great to have along on a bar hop so one would only get the good stuff hidden behind the bar. Who needs Clare Ptooey when we have you at the Forum Lounge. Thanx for the insider knowledge about the "good stuff".

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

If it were me, I'd go with a Deschutes Pinedrop IPA (Pinedrop, Chris Pine, lol) & any Oregon Pinot Noir--I live in Wine Country after all.

I'm not much of a whisky or tequila connoisseur, so I'll stand behind your selections.

While I like Pinot Noir, I gotta say I'm not into the "hoppy" beers at all, speedy. I'm more into the darker beers.

(...nope, the only "hoppy" things I like are wittle bunny wabbits) ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dargo said:

While I like Pinot Noir, I gotta say I'm not into the "hoppy" beers at all, speedy. I'm more into the darker beers.

(...nope, the only "hoppy" things I like are wittle bunny wabbits) ;)

For me, the darker beers are too heavy.  I like them, but they make me feel so full.  I like the IPAs but I also enjoy the lighter beers like Blondes and Pilsners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

For me, the darker beers are too heavy.  I like them, but they make me feel so full.  I like the IPAs but I also enjoy the lighter beers like Blondes and Pilsners.

And the Reds too, I'll bet.

(...not too dark and not too light)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dargo said:

 

(...nope, the only "hoppy" things I like are wittle bunny wabbits) ;)

I just knew you'd be a fan of The Night of the Lepus with Stuart Whitman and Janet Leigh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dargo said:

And the Reds too, I'll bet.

(...not too dark and not too light)

I'm pretty much on board with most craft beers--except Imperials.  They are a bit too much for me. You know you've ordered something strong when it is served in a snifter versus a pint glass.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us