Sign in to follow this  
cigarjoe

I Am The Night (2019 TNT sister channel Neo Noir)

86 posts in this topic

Watched second episode and will probably finish the series.  But so far not really impressed.  Seems to be just stretching it out to get more episodes.  Of course, that gives them more time for their lengthy commercials, mostly bout TNT's other shows.

It is much easier to follow than third season of True Detective on HBO.

"Curiouser and curiouser!" This neo-noir tale is turning into "Alice in Wonderland."

Image result for india eisley i am the night episode 3 images

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jakeem said:

"Curiouser and curiouser!" This neo-noir tale is turning into "Alice in Wonderland."

Well put, jakeem.

(...except, I would have perhaps put it as "Alice in La La Land") ;)

• Haha 1

Episode three, so far so good, keeping my interest up. Enjoying the cinematography, set decoration, the cars, locations etc., etc.

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Episode three, so far so good, keeping my interest up. Enjoying the cinematography, set decoration, the cars, locations etc., etc.

And we're discovering more about the demons haunting Chris Pine's character. Most of them seem to be linked to his horrific Korean War experiences.

Image result for chris pine i am the night episode 3

• Like 1

Watched third episode - probably be the last I watch.  Just not that interesting.

I'm going to give it at least one more episode but it got bizarre at the end there.  

Episode 4...meh.

Only 2 episodes left and seems like they really could have made this a longer series.   There's been almost no character development on the doctor yet all signs point to him.   Who knows...kind of disappointing really.

33 minutes ago, Solafide said:

Episode 4...meh.

Only 2 episodes left and seems like they really could have made this a longer series.   There's been almost no character development on the doctor yet all signs point to him.   Who knows...kind of disappointing really.

They could have made it longer? I was thinking they should have boiled it down to a 2 hour movie, at most. It really hasn't managed to go anywhere interesting so far. And after reading that this is based on the main girl's autobiography (in other words, she's not in any serious danger in the show), and that Pine's character is completely fabricated, a lot of the meager appeal drained away for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So far, I've been fairly impressed with the acting in it and how well they've succeeded in recreating mid-'60s L.A.

(...NOT so impressed with the slow pace of it, however)

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2019 at 12:12 PM, jakeem said:

Image result for india eisley i am the night episode 3 images

EGADS, that is a beautiful girl. SERIOUS STAR POTENTIAL HERE.

Slightly off-topic but...she is OLIVIA HUSSEY'S daughter, yah?

What the Hell happened with Olivia Hussey's career? Was she that bad an actress?

15 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

EGADS, that is a beautiful girl. SERIOUS STAR POTENTIAL HERE.

Slightly off-topic but...she is OLIVIA HUSSEY'S daughter, yah?

What the Hell happened with Olivia Hussey's career? Was she that bad an actress?

I became familiar with India because I used to watch "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" with my nieces on the old ABC Family channel (it's now Freeform). She was 15 or so when it started. Her character was the younger sister of a pregnant teen (Shailene Woodley, who's already a star) and became known for her biting sense of humor.

I always thought that India's delivery was wooden, but it probably had more to do with the fact that her voice hadn't changed. Jessica Biel went through a similar deal on "7th Heaven" until her voice suddenly became low during Season 2.

Anyway, India is a much better actress now. I've been impressed by her work in "I Am the Night."

I've never thought of Olivia Hussey as a bad actress. She was sensational in "Romeo and Juliet," and she was the key character in the classic 1974 Canadian horror film "Black Christmas." She also was memorable as the mother of Christ in the 1977 miniseries "Jesus of Nazareth."

Olivia's Wikipedia page says she's had problems with agoraphobia -- which would kill any actor's career, I suppose.

She was married to Dean Paul Martin, but they divorced several years before he was killed in the crash of his National Guard fighter jet. His father, Dean Martin, never recovered from that tragedy,

India's father is the rock singer David Glen Eisley (pictured below with his wife and daughter) who has fronted several bands, including the '80s group Giuffria.

Image result for olivia hussey india eisley

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Anyway, India is a much better actress now. I've been impressed by her work in "I Am the Night."

I was surprised to learn that I had actually seen her in two films, Underworld: Awakening (2012) and Kite (2014). I wasn't impressed with either movie, and have very little recall of her. But I have liked her in this show.

And welcome back from your brief hiatus, jakeem.;)

14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I was surprised to learn that I had actually seen her in two films, Underworld: Awakening (2012) and Kite (2014). I wasn't impressed with either movie, and have very little recall of her. But I have liked her in this show.

And welcome back from your brief hiatus, jakeem.;)

She played the daughter of Kate Beckinsale's and Scott Speedman's characters from the previous "Underworld" films. I believe she was a vampire-werewolf hybrid like her father.

And thanks for noticing my absence! The weather in north Georgia is horrible. We've had nothing but rain and thunderstorms all week. As a result, a lightning strike killed my Wi-Fi connection and knocked me off the Internet for a couple of days. :(

Related image

As for Episode 4 of "I Am the Night," are we to believe that The Black Dahlia lost her life for the sake of abstract art?

Image result for i am the night episode 4

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

As for Episode 4 of "I Am the Night," are we to believe that The Black Dahlia lost her life for the sake of abstract art?

Yeah...Art imitating Life(or would that be Death?) imitating Art.

(...surreal, ain't it jakeem?!) ;)

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, jakeem said:

I became familiar with India because I used to watch "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" with my nieces on the old ABC Family channel (it's now Freeform). She was 15 or so when it started. Her character was the younger sister of a pregnant teen (Shailene Woodley, who's already a star) and became known for her biting sense of humor.

I always thought that India's delivery was wooden, but it probably had more to do with the fact that her voice hadn't changed. Jessica Biel went through a similar deal on "7th Heaven" until her voice suddenly became low during Season 2.

I've never thought of Olivia Hussey as a bad actress. She was sensational in "Romeo and Juliet," and she was the key character in the classic 1974 Canadian horror film "Black Christmas." She also was memorable as the mother of Christ in the 1977 miniseries "Jesus of Nazareth."

Olivia's Wikipedia page says she's had problems with agoraphobia -- which would kill any actor's career, I suppose.

She was married to Dean Paul Martin, but they divorced several years before he was killed in the crash of his National Guard fighter jet. His father, Dean Martin, never recovered from that tragedy,

India's father is the rock singer David Glen Eisley (pictured below with his wife and daughter) who has fronted several bands, including the '80s group Giuffria.

Image result for olivia hussey india eisley

Thanks for all the information, also solidarity with someone else who has suffered for love by watching television with his nieces (Hope FREEFORM Is less insidious then than Disney Channel)

I didn’t mean to imply that Olivia Hussey was a bad actress, she struck me as being fine in ROMEO AND JULIET and DEATH ON THE NILE (Although to be fair if one of your costars is LOIS CHILES you’re never going to give the worst performance in a movie)...And, as is the case with her daughter, she’s obviously got MovieStar looks. Like a more accessible, earthier Audrey Hepburn perhaps.

But it seems like she really struggled to find work in the 70s and it just got worse in the 80s and 90s. She made frequent appearances on murder she wrote, doubtlessly she formed some sort of friendship with her “death on the Nile”costar Angela Lansbury. And she showed up in two absolutely atrocious films, like the kind of movies that no actual real actor with real representation and real management would ever, ever say “yes” to- “Quest of the Delta Knights” and “ice cream man”, the former played on mystery science theater 3000, and the latter was recently done by rifftrax (And is a singularly terrible film.)

Note – this is an early morning post and I’m using voice transcription, so I’m sure there’s all sorts of  errors and what not.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Thanks for all the information, also solidarity with someone else who has suffered for love by watching television with his nieces (Hope FREEFORM Is less insidious then than Disney Channel)

I didn’t mean to imply that Olivia Hussey was a bad actress, she struck me as being fine in ROMEO AND JULIET and DEATH ON THE NILE (Although to be fair if one of your costars is LOIS CHILES you’re never going to give the worst performance in a movie)...And, as is the case with her daughter, she’s obviously got MovieStar looks. Like a more accessible, earthier Audrey Hepburn perhaps.

But it seems like she really struggled to find work in the 70s and it just got worse in the 80s and 90s. She made frequent appearances on murder she wrote, doubtlessly she formed some sort of friendship with her “death on the Nile”costar Angela Lansbury. And she showed up in two absolutely atrocious films, like the kind of movies that no actual real actor with real representation and real management would ever, ever say “yes” to- “Quest of the Delta Knights” and “ice cream man”, the former played on mystery science theater 3000, and the latter was recently done by rifftrax (And is a singularly terrible film.)

Note – this is an early morning post and I’m using voice transcription, so I’m sure there’s all sorts of  errors and what not.

Actually, your voice transcription feature is working very well, thank you.

I wonder if India has a shot at becoming Diana Prince's kid sister (a.k.a Wonder Girl) in the third "Wonder Woman" movie. I'm assuming that Patty Jenkins will sign on for one more.

• Like 2

Watching ep Matador as I type, digging it so far, enjoyed "The Happening" West Coast version....  been there definitely did that down in Soho late 60's.

I bailed out after episode #2. I didn't plan on it but I forgot about it when episode #3 was broadcast, but haven't had the desire to revisit the story, it didn't grip me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I bailed out after episode #2. I didn't plan on it but I forgot about it when episode #3 was broadcast, but haven't had the desire to revisit the story, it didn't grip me.

I keep forgetting about it too but I can get it on demand to watch it when I want.

• Thanks 1

I watched episode #5 tonight. It was decent, but really no surprises, especially the big reveal. I'm not sure how factual the finale was (I've purposely not read up on the actual story to avoid potential spoilers), but it seemed a bit far-fetched. The billiard ball in the sock was nice. I thought Leland Orser (Chris Pine's newspaper contact) did a good job in the later restaurant scene. He's a good character actor. Only one more episode to go.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I watched episode #5 tonight. It was decent, but really no surprises, especially the big reveal. I'm not sure how factual the finale was (I've purposely not read up on the actual story to avoid potential spoilers), but it seemed a bit far-fetched. The billiard ball in the sock was nice. I thought Leland Orser (Chris Pine's newspaper contact) did a good job in the later restaurant scene. He's a good character actor. Only one more episode to go.

I'll watch it On Demand tonight.

On 2/26/2019 at 1:01 AM, LawrenceA said:

Yea, I'm still with it so far, keeping my interest up for the next episode. We'll see what happens. I'd be curious about the actual story also.