Sign in to follow this  
Philip Muldoon

All things Doris Day

26 posts in this topic

I am not alone, but am a huge Doris Day fan.  She can sing, dance, and act.  A real gem.  I love her in all genre of film she has done.  Must see:

Pillow Talk

Love me or Leave Me

Young Man with a Horn

Julie

Well I could just drag her filmology over.  She should have gotten the AA for Love Me or Leave Me, not even nominated. 

• Like 1

Got to be: THAT TOUCH OF MINK

weirdly enough, with all the "fantasy" elements included (A man who looks like Cary Grant!), this is the most "complete" role for Doris, IMHO.

Lots of wonderful humor, too!

She was with Kirk Douglas in 'Young Man with a Horn'? I don't recall her in that one at all. I thought Bacall was in that story. :o

Anyway 'Pillow Talk' is the only DD film I have seen so far that bears infinite re-watching. Its the only one 'spicy' enough to offset her goody-two-shoes persona! She's harmless and ornamental enough, I suppose...but just too saccharine for me overall. Worst DD flick I've ever seen is probably 'Glass Bottomed Boat'.

Stiil, I admire your fanship here, Pappy. I'll defend it to the death! :)

Re-thinking my "fave" Doris Day....!

I mean, can anyone forget the silly (hollywood-made) London thriller MIDNIGHT LACE (1960)?

SO BAD, SO GOOD in so many ways!

(not to mention the John Gavin role to die for!)

But the REAL question is: Gorgeous, blonde, rich, Doris Day is going to be shoved aside for the plain, brunette, skanky NEIGHBOR (Natasha Parry) by Rex Harrison? 

In what universe would this happen?

I've seen 'Midnight Lace' yep. It's a strange film. Serviceable though. Decent atmosphere. I'd take it over any film made today, that's for sure. But I wouldn't say its exactly unforgettable ...in fact I'd probably have to struggle to recall it... unless prompted by someone as you just did. :)

220px-Dennis_Day_1960.JPG

15 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I've seen 'Midnight Lace' yep. It's a strange film. Serviceable though. Decent atmosphere. I'd take it over any film made today, that's for sure. But I wouldn't say its exactly unforgettable ...in fact I'd probably have to struggle to recall it... unless prompted by someone as you just did. :)

But is Midnight Lace a noir film?   That is all I'm interested in knowing.

(OK, this is a joke,  PLEASE don't respond to that,  ha ha).

As for the film;    If one looks at the films Day was starring in around at the time (late 50s, early 60s),  this is one of the more serious efforts.    I know there are a lot of fans of her virgin-comedies,  but I'm not one of them, so that makes this film all the more memorable.

• Like 1

I would admit that it lives up to its atmosphere. Day certainly portrays 'damsel in distress' trope with feeling and effort. I dont know why it just seems a little tepid to me. Maybe because soooo many movies --even up to our own era-- copy everything it does but then they also add in the one thing this flick really lacks: s-e-x.

Maybe what confuses me about 'Midnight Lace' is: why would any husband want to kill Doris? Her character doesn't seem to have any faults or flaws. And what gripes could one have with her which wouldnt be recompensed by her looks and her wifely devotion?

Even more burning question here: did they ever do a double bill of 'Midnight Lace' and 'That Touch of Mink'?

I am trying to lay off the noir arguments, I felt I was giving Uncle Joe a really hard time.

Rex Harrison embezzled money from his company. Kit, the character Doris plays was wealthy, he wanted her dead to get her dough to replace the money or he would have been found out. It was all about the money, plain and simple. His affair with the neighbor was secondary. She was there to help him with his plan and then they would be together.

• Thanks 1

I remember not being the biggest fan of Doris Day at first because I'd only seen a handful of her really sappy films.  However, as I saw more of her work, she grew on me and now she's one of my favorites.  In the context of other films in her career, I can even appreciate her more "virginal" output. 

My favorites:

Pillow Talk

On Moonlight Bay/By the Light of the Silvery Moon, I like her pairing with Gordon MacRae.  I grouped these films together because they are about the same family.

The Man Who Knew Too Much

Midnight Lace

The Pajama Game

With Six You Get Eggroll 

Lover Come Back

It's a Great Feeling

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I remember not being the biggest fan of Doris Day at first because I'd only seen a handful of her really sappy films.  However, as I saw more of her work, she grew on me and now she's one of my favorites.  In the context of other films in her career, I can even appreciate her more "virginal" output. 

My favorites:

Pillow Talk

On Moonlight Bay/By the Light of the Silvery Moon, I like her pairing with Gordon MacRae.  I grouped these films together because they are about the same family.

The Man Who Knew Too Much

Midnight Lace

The Pajama Game

With Six You Get Eggroll 

Lover Come Back

It's a Great Feeling

As a kid I also didn't like Doris. I thought she was too "sappy" but the same thing happened to me Speedy, as I grew older I became a fan. I love Doris, she's one of my favorites. I always watch her films and I never tire of her. Her autobiography Doris, Her Own Story that she collaborated on is excellent. Doris lead a very eventful life and that "virginal" personna had nothing to do with her real life. The book is now out of print and very hard to come by, if you can get a copy I highly recommend it.

As far as Midnight Lace goes, I saw the film as a very young girl, I was about 9 years old. My cousin and I saw the film in a movie theater and it scared the beegeebees out of me LOL. Doris had an emotional breakdown while filming Midnight Lace because her first marriage was a very frightening, very abusive one. She wrote that all those memories came back while filming.

Directors and actors loved working with her. They all felt she was very professional, very genuine. She could cry on cue, real tears. James Garner loved working with her and felt she was extremely sexy. He accidently broke a few of her ribs while they were making Move Over Darling and she never complained and resumed shooting the next day without mentioning it.

She's a very interesting, very talented, very complex person, who had a very eventful life and according to Doris, she was no virgin.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Rex Harrison embezzled money from his company. Kit, the character Doris plays was wealthy, he wanted her dead to get her dough to replace the money or he would have been found out. It was all about the money, plain and simple. His affair with the neighbor was secondary. She was there to help him with his plan and then they would be together.

And who's to say Rex wouldn't have dumped her eventually and moved on (after a cash payment, of course)...

Harry James --that unconscionable hound--had a bet with his pals that he could nail her.  This, while he was married to Grable. He lost.

Actually, you could classify MIDNIGHT LACE as a "noir" - instead of a femme fatale, it had the homme fatal (REX HARRISON).

Quite a few wonderful "noirs" are like this---a woman giving it all, even committing crimes, to keep her man. (SUDDEN FEAR, RAW DEAL, DANGEROUS CROSSING ).

But, stupid and sweet as Doris' character was, it seems that Rex could just have asked her for her money to help his business, and she would have said yes.

• Thanks 1

Nah, he would have had to admit to her that he was a thief and a fraud. He married her for her money. He was just a louse and Doris wouldn't have stayed with him. Killing her meant he could have it all.

Huh. As if Rex Harrison couldn't finesse a conversation like that? All he'd have to plead is that 'he was unable to help himself' and that he 'desperately needs Doris to help get his life back on track'. Even I could run rings around Doris Day. She falls for phony Texas oilmen, remember!

• Haha 1

Yea,  get back on track.     Don't forget all of the fine recordings Day did.    Solid singer with a nice feel and swing.

Image result for doris day

Well, Rex may have made other choices, but there wouldn't have been a movie there. Maybe Doris would've given him the money maybe not. Who cares about what ifs?

• Like 1

Very True. There just wouldn't be a story without Rex's deception.

What I regret is that there was never a "stalker" subplot with John Gavin. He could have given Rex a run for his money in the irresistible guy category.

I think John Gavin could have done a lot of roles that Rock Hudson was known for....!

Of course I've seen the flick. We're ruminating about what might have made it better, or what might have hobbled it. Beetle opened the discussion with an unqualified rave for it, and I offered a more lukewarm reaction, and stated why (as I recall) it didn't wow me. It was a fine looking film, I agree with that. I enjoyed seeing DD in the role of a distressed damsel and thought she was fine, as she always was. Its an okay film on first viewing; but I'm just opining that the story itself seems a bit strangely concocted and cast, from my perspective these days.

12 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Of course I've seen the flick. We're ruminating about what might have made it better, or what might have hobbled it. Beetle opened the discussion with an unqualified rave for it, and I offered a more lukewarm reaction, and stated why (as I recall) it didn't wow me. It was a fine looking film, I agree with that. I enjoyed seeing DD in the role of a distressed damsel and thought she was fine, as she always was. Its an okay film on first viewing; but I'm just opining that the story itself seems a bit strangely concocted and cast, from my perspective these days.

Below is what Beetle posted -  You call that unqualified rave for a film?   

I mean, can anyone forget the silly (hollywood-made) London thriller MIDNIGHT LACE (1960)?

SO BAD, SO GOOD in so many ways!

^^ Yes, certainly!

Plenty of good films generate that 'ooooh its so over-the-top' reaction. Me, I would never even remember the movie as soon as two days subsequent to seeing it. I found it eminently forgettable. What Beetle made me think about was why it failed to excite me.

Very true, Sgt!

But--when you get to MIDNIGHT LACE, we get into the murky dishwater of "women's film".

One way to tell is they always show "fashions" (you lose the men's audience right there).

But women LOVE this stuff (one of the hilariously fun parts of THAT TOUCH OF MINK is the fashion show of coats--and don't you think Doris, Animal-activist that she was, hated to see that sequence in later years.)

Show women fashions, and we go crazy, no matter how silly the plot or lame the locations.

No one has mentioned the RODDY McDOWELL role, which is creepy and wonderful, especially when he has the gall to come to his poor mother's work site and gouge money from her. And adorable Doris begs this woman, her maid, to buy a good winter coat.

This is a woman's film. With the BONUS of seeing John Gavin looking gorgeous.

It doesn't have to make sense--just so there are fashions and sentiment.

19 minutes ago, papyrusbeetle said:

But--when you get to MIDNIGHT LACE, we get into the murky dishwater of "women's film".

One way to tell is they always show "fashions" (you lose the men's audience right there).

Interesting take on Midnight Lace here.   While I never viewed it as a borderline 'women's film' I believe you're on to something here;   I.e. in the producers \ director attempt to 'balance' the film and make it appealing to both women fans of Day,  as well as male fans of suspense\thriller films,   we need up with a hit-and-miss film;  one that doesn't fully succeed at either.