Sign in to follow this  
Philip Muldoon

Wizard of Oz favorite character

11 posts in this topic

For me it was and will always be the cowardly lion.  Bert Lahr just stole so many scenes in WOO that I lost count.  He just a dandelion...So funny.

11 minutes ago, Philip Muldoon said:

For me it was and will always be the cowardly lion.  Bert Lahr just stole so many scenes in WOO that I lost count.  He just a dandelion...So funny.

Like Dorothy, my favorite was the scarecrow.  

• Like 1

It's a great question. I don't often think about this iconic film much at all. But now you have me wondering. What exactly do I like about it? Is there anything at all, which I really enjoy in the film? H'mmm.

I know I tend to prefer the opening sequence, the grim and dour b&w sequence set in Kansas, more so than the other story segments. The twister's arrival. I like the 'dark' sequences in general in what is overall such a  'bright' film.

Fave character? Eh. Frank Morgan as the Wizard I reckon.

This is a tough question.  I think I like Frank Morgan; he is so WONDERFUL as Professor Marvel, the Doorkeeper, the horseman!,  the (right hand man?) guy who tells Dorothy and Friends to 'go away!' and then starts crying!, and wizard himself.  I Know they had WC Fields in mind, but i think he would have been over the top.  ALSO, I like the 'optimistic voices'.

On 2/14/2019 at 11:51 PM, DickLindsay said:

ALSO, I like the 'optimistic voices'.

You mean the "You're out of the woods, you're out of the dark, you're into the light"? I love that too.

Every single performance is outstanding, even supporting Auntie Em & Uncle Henry who are barely on screen.

The principle charactors are great in everything they do too, not just this movie. My favorite will always be the Munchkins, since there aren't many movies adult "little people" actors could shine in. 

If the music could be considered a character, the lyrics would be my favorite: "She's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead" and  "If I were King of the Forest, Not queen, not duke, not prince. My regal robes of the forest, would be satin, not cotton, not chintz." are my two favorite lines.

There are so many characters to enjoy in The Wizard of Oz:

I love the Wicked Witch of the West.  

I love the Munchkin that says "Follow the yellow brick road" in the really deep voice.

I love the tree that slaps Dorothy when she takes the apple.

I love the Scarecrow and the Tin Man.

The gatekeeper is my favorite Oz character, "Who rang that bell?...Well bust my buttons, that's a horse of a different color, come on in!" 

They weren't really characters, but as a kid I always waited for the winged monkeys. I now see that they were goons out to do harm, but then I just loved their little vests and the fact that they could fly. And I liked the music when they were flying, sort of an homage to The Flight of the Valkyries.

Otherwise, I'd have to say Professor Marvel. He had the shrewd manipulativeness of the Wizard, as when he takes the picture of Auntie Em out of her basket and pretends to be conjuring her, but he was sweet and thoughtful and really wanted to help her too.

On 3/12/2019 at 8:38 AM, DougieB said:

Otherwise, I'd have to say Professor Marvel. He had the shrewd manipulativeness of the Wizard, as when he takes the picture of Auntie Em out of her basket and pretends to be conjuring her, but he was sweet and thoughtful and really wanted to help her too.

"Can't I go with you and see all the crowned heads of Europe?"
"What, do you know any?...Oh, you mean the, er, (points to sign)."

I've also started watching Uncle Henry's few scenes at the beginning, and how he could be a minor farm character, but still hide enough Midwest savvy to heckle Miss Gulch:
"Oh...She bit her DOG, eh?  (gate-slap!)"

c573d02490d92be5742b08a8956a5a20--wizard

(For Dorothy, he must have been the "good cop" to Aunt Em's farmwife-efficiency.)

• Like 1

A classic movie!! I love all of the characters, but was always partial to The Scarecrow and Dorothy. The Tin Man and Lion are close behind them. The Wicked Witch, you love to dislike her!!