Dr. Somnambula

The Criterion Channel begins on April 8th

23 posts in this topic

I got the same message. Most interesting is that if you sign up early you get access to a movie every week before launch. So if you sign up now, you should be able to watch about a dozen films before launch. The first film is Mikey and Nicky by Elaine May.

• Like 1

I am very interested in this!  I wonder does anyone know of any competing services?

I currently have DirectTV (Satellite).  Even on the cheap plan I'm on it adds up, and I'm thinking of cancelling it.  A cheap digital antenna and a subscription to a single service like Hulu should provide us with a comparable offering and still save money.  The one downside to this is loosing TCM.  TCM is effectively the only channel I watch these days, and most of that is the TCM Imports programming, which seems like it overlaps with Criterion pretty nicely.

Does TCM have a streaming service on something like a Roku?  I think I've seem some kind of service but it requires you to already "get" the channel via some provider which I would no longer be doing once I drop Satellite.

SlingTV has TCM. I think their packages start at $25 or so. Dish Network has a basic “flex” package that includes TCM that is about $40 (this is what I have).

Hulu, Kanopy and MUBI all have good offerings, but nobody really competes with TCM in my opinion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dietCokeAddict said:

I am very interested in this!  I wonder does anyone know of any competing services?

I currently have DirectTV (Satellite).  Even on the cheap plan I'm on it adds up, and I'm thinking of cancelling it.  A cheap digital antenna and a subscription to a single service like Hulu should provide us with a comparable offering and still save money.  The one downside to this is loosing TCM.  TCM is effectively the only channel I watch these days, and most of that is the TCM Imports programming, which seems like it overlaps with Criterion pretty nicely.

Does TCM have a streaming service on something like a Roku?  I think I've seem some kind of service but it requires you to already "get" the channel via some provider which I would no longer be doing once I drop Satellite.

TCM currently does not have their own stand-alone subscription streaming service, but to echo spauldingd there are other services that can include TCM (usually as an add-on or extra tier of some kind).  Our message-board member LornaHansonForbes had started a thread about experiences with TCM as part of Hulu:

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/257598-i-am-thrilled-to-pieces-with-tcm-on-hulu-except-for-one-thing/?tab=comments#comment-1920503

I think this streaming service by AT&T at $15 per month is the most inexpensive way to get TCM. I don’t know if this would also give you access to the TCM app to stream on demand like cable and satellite services do.

https://www.attwatchtv.com/

Tried to watch the trailer for the current movie of the week, Wanda. I get this message:

"This video could not load or timed out. Try refreshing the page and playing again."

Guess it is necessary to log in just to watch a trailer. I am not signed up.

On 1/30/2019 at 4:06 PM, Michael Rennie said:

Received an email claiming The Criterion Channel will begin on April 8th, in the U.S. and Canada.

I love Criterion films so thanks for the info!

Filmstruck had a lot of technical difficulties in its early going that might have led to fewer subscribers and ultimately its demise.  This new service will need to be a better starter than Filmstruck was.

1 hour ago, DVDPhreak said:

Filmstruck had a lot of technical difficulties in its early going that might have led to fewer subscribers and ultimately its demise.  This new service will need to be a better starter than Filmstruck was.

Filmstruck (even, ahem, without a PS4 console app, or any streaming-stick app that did work) was at the height of its popularity when it was canned, and not because of a lack of subscribers--In fact, Filmstruck was just on the verge of being raised as the new symbolic "Anti-Netflix" banner, with those same viewers who'd flocked to streaming to thumb their nose at cable now cult-flocking to the movie service to be Film-School Educated on the Classics, and thumb their symbolic noses at Netflix and Amazon dropping their movie catalogues for "Original content".

It was canned because Warner was trying to circle its streaming wagons, drop any services that didn't have a W in the name, and had ideas about keeping their Archive titles safely in-house and moving them to their own streaming service.  Pretty much reducing Filmstruck to what it had been BEFORE the mania, ie. a snooty upscale-poseur place to watch foreign Criterion films.

On 2/9/2019 at 5:26 PM, spauldingd said:

SlingTV has TCM. I think their packages start at $25 or so. Dish Network has a basic “flex” package that includes TCM that is about $40 (this is what I have).

Hulu, Kanopy and MUBI all have good offerings, but nobody really competes with TCM in my opinion. 

That Dish package at least looks like a savings over the publicly disclosed Directv satellite prices.  I still see some gack they could get rid of, only there due to carriage agreements and so forth, but nothing is ever perfect.

I can’t seem to find a way to Chromecast. Watching on my iPad is nice, but I need Chromecast as promised. 

I downloaded the Amazon Fire app this afternoon, and I'll try watching a movie on it this evening, probably. I'll report back on the experience. I've already seen a few things I'd like changed with the interface on the website.

23 hours ago, spauldingd said:

I can’t seem to find a way to Chromecast. Watching on my iPad is nice, but I need Chromecast as promised. 

Hmm.  This reminds me of my friend who recently tried Directv Now on a Chromecast, which intermittently failed to work with local channels.  But it worked for him for the first 9-10 days - within the time frame of an initial schedule download.  (I wonder if anyone here has succeeded over the long term with Directv Now on a Chromecast device.)

On the Internet, there is plenty of end-user speculation on that being an issue of changing IP addresses.  My friend observed his residential DSL Internet provider change the WAN IP address several times in one evening (as seen using "what is my IP" types of websites).  But I don't see why they would use the localization of varying IP addresses to tie a subscriber to a location.  User account would be much better I think.

In helping him troubleshoot over the phone, I was able to get him to look into and verify the DNS it uses is hard-coded into the Chromecast.  It is the Google DNS service (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4).  It is not possible to use the "default" DNS of the local Internet provider, nor that of another unbiased third party (Clouldflare for instance - 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1).  That means that they could potentially use this to block access to certain domains very easily and stealthily.  Death by a thousand paper cuts in other words.

Anyhow I am not surprised with your situation.

(I'm a Directv satellite user)

I just finished Late Autumn (1960), and can report smooth sailing all the way through. No buffering, no stuttering of the image, no dropped or out-of-sync sound. The image quality is fine, though not HD. That may be due to some setting I haven't discovered yet. I was able to pause and re-start with no issue, and it was easy to navigate through the menus using the Amazon Fire remote. 

So far, so good.

• Thanks 1

Can you only watch this on an iOS or Android app? Is there a console (XBOX, PS4) app or Smart TV one?