Sign in to follow this  
David Guercio

Jimmy Stewart

21 posts in this topic

Which is the movie where Jimmy Stewart goes back to the School he went to when he was a kid?  I remember the scene where he and what’s her name are playing basketball at the gym where he played when he was a kid.

Sorry Dave, but as big a fan of Jimmy's that I am, I can't seem to recall a film where he's shown playing basketball.

Might be a little easier to find the answer to this if only you could remember who "what's her name" was.

What other movies to you remember her being in?

(...you've got my interest up with this one and would now like to know the answer to this too...hopefully someone will know)

Well let's do this by elimination.

For starters, I'm pretty sure it's NOT The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

One Down. Ninety-nine more Jimmy Stewart films to go.

• Haha 2

The closest thing I've seen with Jimmy Stewart on a basketball court was the one that opened up underneath him.

Haven't seen the movie but in "Magic Town" (1947) he plays Lawrence "Rip" Smith, a former basketball player.

Some personal trivia, Jimmy Stewart playing basketball with his stepsons in 1951.

781fab20359e61b9643cd93dd1abc576.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Haven't seen the movie but in "Magic Town" (1947) he plays Lawrence "Rip" Smith, a former basketball player.

That's gotta be it, ham!

(...seems "what's her name" is probably Jane Wyman)

• Haha 1

Well give me some credit for helping to boil it down. I told you it wasn't Liberty Valance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

'Magic Town'  (my guess) starring Jimmy Stewart, Jane Wyman is a pretty dandy Frank Capra movie which oughta be more talked about around here.  Stewart once again in small-town America

by the way I just heard that Jimmy Stewart died this week. Why is there no RIP thread shoved right out in our faces? Every other star is

2 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

'Magic Town'  -- Jimmy Stewart, Jane Wyman (even if incorrect) is a Frank Capra movie which oughta be more talked about around here.  Stewart once again in small-town America

by the way I just heard that Jimmy Stewart died this week. Why is there no RIP thread shoved right out in our faces? Every other star is

No, what you heard Sarge is that Jimmy the STEWARD died this week.

The little remembered semi-regular extra who never had any lines and who was often seen hanging around with Gopher on TV's The Love Boat. And thus being "little remembered" in effect being the very reason for no one starting such a thread. 

(...but your confusion in this matter is still fully understandable, of course)

• Like 1

I insist--I go on record as insisting--that TCM moderators collect every RIP thread and place it under a new category titled 'Hollywood Deaths' or something like that. Its preposterous that people turn a film discussion website into a place to hang death notices!

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I insist--I go on record as insisting--that TCM moderators collect every RIP thread and place it under a new category titled 'Hollywood Deaths' or something like that. Its preposterous that people turn a film discussion website into a place to hang death notices!

Well, sorry here Sarge, but I don't think your record is ever going to break into the Top 40.

(...unless it has a catchy beat and one can dance to it)

• Like 1

I serve notice! This is a stench which rankles in the nostrils of honest men!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I serve notice!

Eeh! It's MUCH more fun to serve tennis balls.

(...unless of course one has had rotator cuff surgery...and then they often find it extremely hard to raise their elbow above the level of their shoulder, and thus inhibiting a truly good and effective service motion)

1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I serve notice! This is a stench which rankles in the nostrils of honest men!

• Like 1

G1. Any fans of Mel Brook (fyi), should read 'No Laughing Matter' by Speed Vogel. Speed was part of a close coterie of New York talent which included Dustin Hoffman, Brooks, Joseph Heller, Neil Simon, and many other luminaries.

Its a little confused but young Mel Brooks (a slob) roomed with Vogel, a natty photographer. Somehow this was said to have inspired the 'Odd Couple' screenplay; however a differing origin is that Neil Simon's older brother was the model for Felix Unger. This is the version which Ben Mank gives on TCM.

17 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

G1. Any fans of Mel Brook (fyi), should read 'No Laughing Matter' by Speed Vogel. Speed was part of a close coterie of New York talent which included Dustin Hoffman, Brooks, Joseph Heller, and many other luminaries.

Its a little confused but young Mel Brooks (a slob) roomed with Vogel, a photographer. Somehow this was said to have inspired the 'Odd Couple' screenplay; however a differing origin is that Neil Simon's older brother was the model for Felix Unger. This is the version which Ben Mank gives on TCM.

I always have to a chuckle a bit when someone refers to Dustin Hoffman as a "New Yorker".

And seein' as how the boy was born and bred out there in MY old neck of the woods, and like myself, also a graduate of the Los Angeles Unified School District.

(...it was probably his great early performance as Ratso Rizzo in Midnight Cowboy that has seemed to cement this false notion in so many people's minds)

• Like 1

Eh. You're running up against the paradigm of 'what makes a New Yorker' now...the general rule of thumb is ten years. DH has certainly been an entrenched, embedded NYC resident for far more than 10 yrs.

It certainly is odd, the things which 'set you off' my good man.

Dustin Hoffman was a New Yorker in the late 60s. I was so wowed by his performance in The Graduate that I wrote him a fan letter. He was listed in the Manhattan telephone directory, so I sent it to his home address. He lived just a couple of blocks from me in Greenwich Village. I still have the autographed photo his agent sent me.

1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Eh. You're running up against the paradigm of 'what makes a New Yorker' now...the general rule of thumb is ten years. DH has certainly been an entrenched, embedded NYC resident for far more than 10 yrs.

It certainly is odd, the things which 'set you off' my good man.

This doesn't really "set me off" here Sarge, but was just a little observation about how I always found it a bit funny that someone who's a native and has spent their entire formative years in one place, can then later be identified as a "fill-in-the-location"-er, and regardless how long a time they might have lived in their new location.

(...but yeah, perhaps I'm just overemphasizing the concept of where someone was born and bred being the basic descriptor of them, as even though I now reside in Sedona Arizona, I would still probably self-identify first and foremost as a native Angeleno)

8 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Well, a popular celebrity's death does get mentioned on a lot of various venues, and this forum is just one.  But too, some CAN'T make mention of a death OR a birthday without also posting their ENTIRE BIOGRAPHY, FILMOGRAPHY and anything ELSE "show biz" related they did, even a SCHOOL PLAY they did a "walk-on" in when they were in Kindergarten!  :angry:

I mean, it's ALL something WE can look up for ourselves, if it really MATTERS to any of us!  ;)

Sepiatone

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

No, what you heard Sarge is that Jimmy the STEWARD died this week.

As a matter of fact I have heard of Jimmy the Steward, Dargo.

But did you know that he also did a Jimmy Stewart impersonation? The problem was he couldn't actually speak like Stewart. Instead he made a sound effect that sounded like it could have come from Stewart, "Wah!" Sometimes he would say, "Wah, wah!" and if he really felt talkative he would drag it out, "Waaaaah!"

He worked for a while on a train and his best friend on the train was a plumber, John Drain. Of course, Drain did an impersonation of John Wayne which nobody liked excerpt Jimmy the Steward.

These two would often be heard in the train car hallways recreating scenes from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

"Well, whatta ya say, Pilgrim? Cook me a steak."

"Wah, wah."

"I can't hear ya, Pilgrim. Speak up!"

"WAH! WAH!"

"Look out, Pilgrim! Here comes Valance!"

"WAAAAAAAAAH!"

Needless to say, they drove the rest of the crew and the passengers nuts.

• Haha 1