Sign in to follow this  
Moorman

Sapphire (1959)

1 post in this topic

Sapphire is a 1959 crime drama directed by Basil Dearden one of my favorite directors.   Again, Dearden tackles controversial subject matter and delivers a excellent film.  The plot from wikipedia:

The body of a pregnant young woman is found stabbed on Hampstead Heath. Although she appears to be white, when her brother (Earl Cameron) arrives at the police station to give evidence, the investigating police officers see that he is black. He confirms that he and Sapphire were both the children of a white father and a black mother, but Sapphire has recently been passing for white. Sapphire's white boyfriend, a student, immediately becomes the chief suspect, but, as the investigation proceeds, other aspects of Sapphire's life in London bring to light other possible suspects.

The standout work here is by Nigel Patrick ( The League of Gentlemen) as Superintendant Robert Hazard.  His very clever but NOT annoyingly clever portrayal of the Superintendant charged with solving the crime is excellent here.  The on location in London production of this film is first rate. Bearden is one of my favorite on location directors.  The cinematography here is done by Harry Waxman.  The plot itself takes you by surprise at the end.  A excellent work here and I rate it a solid 9 out of 10...  This film is part of a Criterion Boxset of Basil Dearden films. I viewed it on Amazon Prime.

Image result for sapphire film

jhejoh.png

Related image

Image result for sapphire film

Related image

• Like 1