Sign in to follow this  
Moorman

Les Diaboliques (1955)

4 posts in this topic

I was surprised to find out that Hitchcock tried to get rights to the film first.  The plot is simple:  A wife and mistress in love with the same man conspire to knock him off.  SPOILER ALERT.  When the husband was not found at the bottom of that pool that really threw me for a loop.  Most directors couldn't have pulled this off and kept the suspense but Clouzot did a fantastic job here.  The acting and cinematography was first rate.  The plot exceptional.  I rate this a solid 8 out of 10...

fkqpvk.jpg

Image result for les diaboliques

• Like 3

It's a classic thriller- with a truly terrifying ending. There was a good made for television remake called "Reflections of Murder" (1974) starring Tuesday Weld, Joanna Hacket and Sam Waterson. Directed by John Badham

• Like 1

I love that style of poster art! Oh man...

anyway yeah the flick is a gob-stopper, a muffin-choker. I wish more remark was made on the career and first-performance-before-a-camera, of Clouzot's wife, one of the femme fatales in this flick. She did a bang-up job.

And what about the relationship between the two females? Why not mention this more upfront? Audacious for its time and an icon for all later thriller storytelling.

The ambiguous ending where right does not prevail, just astounding.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I love that style of poster art! Oh man...

anyway yeah the flick is a gob-stopper, a muffin-choker. I wish more remark was made on the career and first-performance-before-a-camera, of Clouzot's wife, one of the femme fatales in this flick. She did a bang-up job.

And what about the relationship between the two females? Why not mention this more upfront? Audacious for its time and an icon for all later thriller storytelling.

The ambiguous ending where right does not prevail, just astounding.

I pulled my review from my review at Sergio Leone forum.  It was INSIDE another review of the film that went more in depth about the actors and actresses.  Clouzot as you know, gave his wife plenty of screen time in " The Wages of Fear " also.  Simone Signoret's character had me fooled in this one.  She was really good. I'm gonna screen more of her films...