Sign in to follow this  
GordonCole

Colonialism

51 posts in this topic

Back in the days when the sun didn't set on a certain empire, and imperialist ventures were not so frowned upon, the tales of intrusion into far off cultures brings up memories of things like The Jewel in the Crown. But as times passed a deeper kind of distaste for such plundering was noted in some subterfuges in literature of a science fiction nature like those of H.G. Wells and other authors, by the end of the 19th century.

Many seemingly typical sci-fi stories which have been converted into movies, have this underlying antipathy as their basis, hence can be enjoyed on both levels as a judgment against imperialist empires invasions or just as a tantalizing tale of fiction featuring invaders of many diverse kinds. The inversion of colonialism against those who beforehand were the invaders is most apt in films featuring outer space entities bound and determined to take over earthly civilizations. This tendency to flip the reality on its head is noted even in mid-century movies by Hammer, Amicus and others.

Name any films featuring such possibly hidden themes that function on both levels.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully someone who understands the question will respond.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mommy Dearest.

Maybe Airport '75 too.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gordie, if we replaced your name with that of CaveGirl on this OP, nobody would recognize a difference between the "two" of you.
When I read your words, I hear her imagined voice.... spooky isn't it. ;)
Another Great topic BTW. :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to be seen as CaveGirl since I always admired her posts. By the way, did you ever contact her directly with a message on this site to ask her about her supposed multiple identities? If you were close to her wouldn't she be happy to tell you which sex she is in reality? Is she banned or what?

I will say, it probably is better to have ten or more fake identities here that are interesting than to have just one which is boring, so I approve of anyone who can shape shift.

Unfortunately don't know if I would look as good in a mini-skirt as the lovely CG, but that's up to your taste I guess, LOL!

P.S. How do you imagine CG's voice. Deep and throaty like Linda Darnell or raspy like Joan Rivers.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thenryb said:

Hopefully someone who understands the question will respond.

Fat chance of that as it was designed to be only for those into obscurantism.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like one could rattle off any dozen SF movies and find situations where an 'alien group' grapples with a 'host group'; or vice versa.

'Invasion of the Body Snatchers', 'Day of the Triffids', 'Village of the Damned', 'Children of the Damned', 'Five Million Years to Earth', 'Phase IV', etc etc etc

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

I always admired her posts.

Likewise.

I always imagined her as a pantaloons sorta girl. But as long as I am imagining, yeah, she does look really good in a mini-skirt. B)

You know I'm "fishing" with you don't you. ;)
I am hoping that you will slip up and "bite" and betray your true identity, be it CG, TRF, or whoever she was before she came into our life to enliven these boards. :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

Likewise.

I always imagined her as a pantaloons sorta girl. But as long as I am imagining, yeah, she does look really good in a mini-skirt. B)

You know I'm fishing with you don't you. ;)
I am hoping that you will bite and betray your true identity, be it CG, TRF, or whoever she was before she came into our life to enliven these boards. :)

Actually I'm rather disturbed at not being accused of being the famous Fuster, who seemed to be a true hermaphrodite.

I see CaveGirl as a fisher of men, luring them out of the online sea with her beckoning lingo, only to see them wash up on the shore. She probably looked like that girl in the film "Night Tide" but it could be only my imagination and fantasy. Surely there is someone here who communicated with her via other means who can solve this mystery for you, Stephan?

But if it makes you happy to think I'm CG, you do need to remember detective wise that I registered here after CG naming myself as my favorite character in Sunset Boulevard, which might just coincidentally have the same reversed initials as CaveGirl, which in Occam's Razor logic might be the simple answer but still could be just a coincidence. But I can see that our writing is similar so I embrace any comparison to her and thanx again for the compliment.

Addendum: Good news, Stephan...just checked some old TFR posts and she/he or shim says this in 2005 about how they like to dress, which sounds like even if it's a guy, he would be a girlie guy:

"My women relatives saved a lot of their clothes, so I have I Miller shoes, and bias cut dresses, and art deco jewelry that is fun to wear." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thenryb said:

Hopefully someone who understands the question will respond.

I assume he is looking for Sci-Fi films with a theme like that of Gunda Din or Charge of the Light Brigade.

I'm not into Sci-Fi much,  especially modern ones,  but I wonder if a film like Independence Day qualifies.

    

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Seems like one could rattle off any dozen SF movies and find situations where an 'alien group' grapples with a 'host group'; or vice versa.

'Invasion of the Body Snatchers', 'Day of the Triffids', 'Village of the Damned', 'Children of the Damned', 'Five Million Years to Earth', 'Phase IV', etc etc etc

Thanx for rattling, Sgt. and speaking of rattles, I believe the movie The Reptile also has some obscurantist colonialism leanings.

By the way, Sgt. Preston of the Yukon was one of my favorite Saturday morning shows as a kiddie, when I would eat my Maypo as I watched, waiting for Tom Terrific and Fury to come on later, plus Circus Boy, with Mickey Dolenz as a blonde boy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GordonCole said:

Actually I'm rather disturbed at not being accused of being the famous Fuster, who seemed to be a true hermaphrodite.

Ahhh, but I believe that CG & TRF were one and the same, in different time periods of course.
And I read her (TRF) post correcting another who mistook her gender as male.
Of course if she really is a true hermaphrodite (an extreme rarity in the world of western medical procedures wherein physicians exercise their "god-like" powers of determining the gender of sexually ambiguous neonates) then she really could swing both ways upon a whim, couldn't she. :unsure:
 

1 hour ago, GordonCole said:

I see CaveGirl as a fisher of men, luring them out of the online sea with her beckoning lingo, only to see them wash up on the shore. She probably looked like that girl in the film "Night Tide" but it could be only my imagination and fantasy.

Yes, as the legend is told, she apparently has cast her siren call upon many "manly men" only to have their hopes dashed upon the rocks of her stony shore.
hqdefault.jpg

 

1 hour ago, GordonCole said:

Surely there is someone here who communicated with her via other means who can solve this mystery for you, Stephan?

Back when I used to accept PM's we maintained a sporadic "running" PM dialogue, that I very much enjoyed.
But during a lengthy reply, I discovered that my post didn't post, and I was briefly banned from these boards due to a misunderstanding with another person here that I have since chosen to block from my sight.
However the result of all that is I have denied myself access to any PMs here, including her. So I have no idea where she took off to, if she is alright, or has merely reemerged as an alternate alternate ego. 
Not that she would have specifically shared those confidences with me even if I could ask her.

I feel certain that I was not the only one here fortunate enough to have had such communication with her.
But who and how to communicate with them or her upon or outside of these boards is a quandary.
 

1 hour ago, GordonCole said:

you do need to remember detective wise that I registered here after CG naming myself as my favorite character in Sunset Boulevard, which might just coincidentally have the same reversed initials as CaveGirl, which in Occam's Razor logic might be the simple answer but still could be just a coincidence.

Because I have always liked CG, and miss her presence here, I have taken it upon myself to (narrowly) "research" into this as much as time and the multitude assorted postings allow.
I hope that if she ever returns to these boards and reads any of this that she will not take offense but rather be flattered that she has endeared such an interest in her particular board persona.

Yes, I checked the dates and profiles of the most likely "suspects" and of course (in the nefarious way of the internet) there is no hard evidence to be garnered, and it may all just be circumstantial, at best.
But CG is very intelligent, and if she has done this before, it would not be stretch for her to cleverly pre-plan her alternates, and awaken them at a later date of her choosing. And what better way than to choose an identity associated with the opposite sex.
But of course this is all conjecture.

1 hour ago, GordonCole said:

But I can see that our writing is similar so I embrace any comparison to her and thanx again for the compliment.

If you are truly not CG then please do take it as a compliment of the highest caliber.
Of the (past & present) posters on these boards your style of writing and posting comes very close to approximating her own, in a slightly more masculine sense of course. ;):)

1 hour ago, GordonCole said:

Addendum: Good news, Stephan...just checked some old TFR posts and she/he or shim says this in 2005 about how they like to dress, which sounds like even if it's a guy, he would be a girlie guy:

I never doubted that she was really a girl (in mind if not in actual physicality). ;)
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

Ahhh, but I believe that CG & TRF were one and the same, in different time periods of course.
And I read her (TRF) post correcting another who mistook her gender as male.
Of course if she really is a true hermaphrodite (an extreme rarity in the world of western medical procedures wherein physicians exercise their "god-like" powers of determining the gender of sexually ambiguous neonates) then she really could swing both ways upon a whim, couldn't she. :unsure:
 

Yes, as the legend is told, she apparently has cast her siren call upon many "manly men" only to have their hopes dashed upon the rocks of her stony shore.
hqdefault.jpg

 

Back when I used to accept PM's we maintained a sporadic "running" PM dialogue, that I very much enjoyed.
But during a lengthy reply, I discovered that my post didn't post, and I was briefly banned from these boards due to a misunderstanding with another person here that I have since chosen to block from my sight.
However the result of all that is I have denied myself access to any PMs here, including her. So I have no idea where she took off to, if she is alright, or has merely reemerged as an alternate alternate ego. 
Not that she would have specifically shared those confidences with me even if I could ask her.

I feel certain that I was not the only one here fortunate enough to have had such communication with her.
But who and how to communicate with them or her upon or outside of these boards is a quandary.
 

Because I have always liked CG, and miss her presence here, I have taken it upon myself to (narrowly) "research" into this as much as time and the multitude assorted postings allow.
I hope that if she ever returns to these boards and reads any of this that she will not take offense but rather be flattered that she has endeared such an interest in her particular board persona.

Yes, I checked the dates and profiles of the most likely "suspects" and of course (in the nefarious way of the internet) there is no hard evidence to be garnered, and it may all just be circumstantial, at best.
But CG is very intelligent, and if she has done this before, it would not be stretch for her to cleverly pre-plan her alternates, and awaken them at a later date of her choosing. And what better way than to choose an identity associated with the opposite sex.
But of course this is all conjecture.

If you are truly not CG then please do take it as a compliment of the highest caliber.
Of the (past & present) posters on these boards your style of writing and posting comes very close to approximating her own, in a slightly more masculine sense of course. ;):)
 

So let me get this straight, you have voluntarily given up the right to use the Messaging ability here with which you used to chat with CaveGirl? Have you asked anyone else to just Message her and see if she is here but only monitoring posts and not commenting? Or could she have been banned?

I will be glad to Message her right now since I believe I have the ability to Message anyone here, and I'll see if I can get a message through to her. Back soon.

Addendum: Here's what I found out. Cave Girl joined TCM in September 5th of 2013. She last posted on October 6th of 2018. She registered a total of 5,805 posts in her time here yet mysteriously has not posted once in the last few months. Also, and this is the odd part, she has no Message icon to hit for me to send her a message yet you say you used to trade messages with her. Why would one not be able to message her if you used to do it, Stephan? I'm perplexed. Hard to believe someone would post religiously for over five years up into the thousands and then just disappear. Could she have been banned by TCM?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 3:39 PM, GordonCole said:

So let me get this straight, you have voluntarily given up the right to use the Messaging ability here with which you used to chat with CaveGirl? Have you asked anyone else to just Message her and see if she is here but only monitoring posts and not commenting? Or could she have been banned?

I looked at one and it was from the person whom I have since chosen to "block." Afterward I stopped allowing any PM's to be forwarded to my email account. And stopped checking any PMs I received.
Of course CG was still posting here at the time, so I hadn't really lost the ability to at least publicly communicate with her until October 2018, when she "vanished."

We discussed being banned on a few occasions, as apparently we both felt that we might be on the edge of it at different times here.
I deliberately pushed the issue with the mods here and got my, umm wish. So I at least know how it feels to be banned, temporarily.
CG, may not have gotten along with everyone here, though she presented a brave face.
(or rather a few others perhaps chose not to get along with her)

"Could she have been banned" that's always a possibility, but I certainly never read anything of hers that I would have deemed warranted "banishment," but only she and the mods here would really know?
No I have never asked anyone

On 2/2/2019 at 3:39 PM, GordonCole said:

I will be glad to Message her right now since I believe I have the ability to Message anyone here, and I'll see if I can get a message through to her. Back soon.

That would be great Gordie.
I have to return some books to the library that are due today, so I will return later myself.
Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heck I just enjoy any old-fashioned colonialism movie where the limeys or, less often,

the frogies get the **** beat out of them or the natives stomp them until their guts

spill out. Now that's entertainment. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Yes, as the legend is told, she apparently has cast her siren call upon many "manly men" only to have their hopes dashed upon the rocks of her stony shore.

Maybe they took her for granite!

:)

 

"Night Tide" I don't know, but when I think of sultry sirens I think of Connie Selleca in the unusual TV movie 'Bermuda Depths'--said to be a precursor to a similar Tom Hanks movie or whatnot. Stills:

https://tinyurl.com/y77n657a

https://tinyurl.com/y9wmt7n7

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"cocktails and laughter --but what comes after, nobody knows

your love affairs are in a hope-less tangle, ruled by pantaloons

poor little rich girl, don't drop a stitch too soooooon..." --Noel Coward

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GordonCole said:

Back in the days when the sun didn't set on a certain empire, and imperialist ventures were not so frowned upon, the tales of intrusion into far off cultures brings up memories of things like The Jewel in the Crown. But as times passed a deeper kind of distaste for such plundering was noted in some subterfuges in literature of a science fiction nature like those of H.G. Wells and other authors, by the end of the 19th century.

Many seemingly typical sci-fi stories which have been converted into movies, have this underlying antipathy as their basis, hence can be enjoyed on both levels as a judgment against imperialist empires invasions or just as a tantalizing tale of fiction featuring invaders of many diverse kinds. The inversion of colonialism against those who beforehand were the invaders is most apt in films featuring outer space entities bound and determined to take over earthly civilizations. This tendency to flip the reality on its head is noted even in mid-century movies by Hammer, Amicus and others.

Name any films featuring such possibly hidden themes that function on both levels.

I think I understood your original premise here Gordie, and so what your OP here immediately brought to my mind anyway wasn't a feature length film, but was the following classic episode of The Twilight Zone...

to-serve-man.jpg

"Mister Chambers! Mister Chambers! Don't get on that ship! 'To Serve Man'...it's, it's a COOK book!"

To-Serve-Man-Twilight-Zone.jpg

                                                 "HOLY CRAP!!!"

(...okay okay, so Lloyd Bochner doesn't say "holy crap" here...the television censors back in '62 wouldn't have allowed that at the time, but YOU get the idea here, right?!) ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 2:18 PM, GordonCole said:

P.S. How do you imagine CG's voice. Deep and throaty like Linda Darnell or raspy like Joan Rivers.

Oh, her voice is husky, in a sultry melodic way.
 

On 2/2/2019 at 3:39 PM, GordonCole said:

Addendum: Here's what I found out. Cave Girl joined TCM in September 5th of 2013. She last posted on October 6th of 2018. She registered a total of 5,805 posts in her time here yet mysteriously has not posted once in the last few months. Also, and this is the odd part, she has no Message icon to hit for me to send her a message yet you say you used to trade messages with her. Why would one not be able to message her if you used to do it, Stephan? I'm perplexed. Hard to believe someone would post religiously for over five years up into the thousands and then just disappear. Could she have been banned by TCM?

The generic profile info I already knew.

She initiated the first PM. There after it was back and forth replies.
So I don't know if it was always that way or not. But now that I think of it, at one point she must have allowed PMs because she wrote of receiving one that had her a little disturbed. So she may have made it dysfunctional sometime later, or perhaps it happened when she decided to "depart" in October.
Hmmm. So no way to actually send her a PM these days.
I know that at least with the older board format that the posters had the ability to activate and deactivate PM reception. I once tried to PM Dargo and his PM function wasn't activated.
So I am thinking that it might have been possible for a poster to send PM's to others while they themselves denied unsolicited receipt of them????
I know that I have thought about deactivating that feature for myself, but in order to do so I must again check my PM status, and that I have been avoiding for going on a year now.
Someone once posted that when someone is permanently banned here that everything they ever posted is purged along with their account.

But if that is so, and she was mysteriously banned, it appears as if it was a short term thing, as her account and many posts are still with us to ruminate.
(Of course I have seen accounts, threads and posts vanish at the posters request as well). 
So  I am inclined to think that she just stopped posting (at least as CG), and (as did TRF) made us a "gift" of the legacy of her past wit to ponder.

I too am perplexed... tis a mystery for sure!
I would like to imagine that CG is off adventuring somewhere. Someplace interesting, exotic and fun!
And that one day (while I'm still around) she'll be back to regale us with wonderfully informative and enlightening tales of it all!
The only part about not truly knowing is the fear that something not so fun may have happened to her.
Whenever someone regular "vanishes" for a length of time, I begin to get that queasy feeling in my gut. 
Right now I am also thinking of DownGoesFrasier, Kid Dabb, Laffite, Limey, ChristineHoard, and several others whom I haven't seen around for awhile.
And BTW, whatever happened to all of SansFins marvelously cute and funny videos and images from her Off-Topic Cats thread?

Edit: To GC & all the posters here:
I apolgize for side-tracking the thread to the extent that I did.
Sorry. :(
But in the tradition of CG there Really is such a similarity in the OP that I couldn't resist remarking about it.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Maybe they took her for granite!

:)

Wah Waaa....
comedy, comedy, everywhere, and me bereft of humour....

4 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Connie Selleca in the unusual TV movie 'Bermuda Depths'


the-bermuda-depths-907.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GordonCole said:

Thanx for rattling, Sgt. and speaking of rattles, I believe the movie The Reptile also has some obscurantist colonialism leanings.

You talking about me?????  There's nothing obscurantist about my leanings!

hammers-reptile.jpg?w=655&h=426

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that actor a couple posts above looks like Carleton Young

p.s. Cole Man, I salute your childhood predilection for Sergeant Preston. It certainly is heart-warming stuff. I don't know anything about the TV series though; I only know the radio serial. Its kept me company on many a wintry night (while I pondered weak and weary many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore). Yukon King is certainly a wonder among canines. He still takes calls from his fans, you can reach him at YUkon 2-8209 (c/o Candy Matson)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GordonCole said:

Back in the days when the sun didn't set on a certain empire, and imperialist ventures were not so frowned upon, the tales of intrusion into far off cultures brings up memories of things like The Jewel in the Crown. But as times passed a deeper kind of distaste for such plundering was noted in some subterfuges in literature of a science fiction nature like those of H.G. Wells and other authors, by the end of the 19th century.

Many seemingly typical sci-fi stories which have been converted into movies, have this underlying antipathy as their basis, hence can be enjoyed on both levels as a judgment against imperialist empires invasions or just as a tantalizing tale of fiction featuring invaders of many diverse kinds. The inversion of colonialism against those who beforehand were the invaders is most apt in films featuring outer space entities bound and determined to take over earthly civilizations. This tendency to flip the reality on its head is noted even in mid-century movies by Hammer, Amicus and others.

Name any films featuring such possibly hidden themes that function on both levels.

 

You are referring humans doing to alien worlds like past empires done here on Earth.  Like people under colonial rule, they fight back.

41ob7xq7Y2L.jpg

 

"Babylon 5" had withing its story the inhabitants of Mars want freedom from Earth rule.

MGP3350.jpg

latest?cb=20090607235043

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was always amused by "District 9" (2009) -- the Best Picture-nominated sci-fi film about mysterious aliens interned by South African authorities. I guess you could call it an apartheid tale in the post-apartheid era. Or fear of a new round of colonialism!

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jakeem said:

I was always amused by "District 9" (2009) -- the Best Picture nominated sci-fi film about mysterious aliens interned by South African authorities. I guess you could call it an apartheid tale in the post-apartheid era. Or fear of a new round of colonialism!

 

Actually the producers were playing on the apartheid era since the plot was an alternative 1982.

District 9 were inspired by the real life Cape Town's District Six.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us