Lolly

New (OLD) Movies Please

48 posts in this topic

Hello, I am new to this Forum and I would like to suggest some movies for TCM some of which have been shown once or twice in the past 20 years since I’ve been watching and some have never been shown, ever! They may not all be as old as viewers like but from memory each and every one has some merit. The reason being that I rely on TCM for most of my TV viewing and I get bored seeing the same movie(s) over and over again, sometimes twice or more in the same month and sometimes twice in the same week.

If anyone else on this Forum would agree with these selections it would be nice to hear your views and pass on the list to TCM.

I would also like to see other viewer’s choices.

Thanks to all.

 

MOVIE LIST:

 

THE EMPTY CANVAS              1963

THE BLUE VEIL                       1951

GOOD MORNING MISS DOVE 1955

MR. CORY                               1957

HANOVER STREET                 1979

10 NORTH FREDRICK             1958

STRANGERS WHEN WE MEET 1960

UNTIL SEPTEMBER                 1984

COME SEPTEMBER                1961

AND JUSTICE FOR ALL           1979

THE DAY OF THE JACKAL      1973

A CERTAIN SMILE                   1958

BONJOUR TRISTESSE         1958

TEA AND SYMPATHY              1956

NO WAY OUT                          1950

SIMON BIRCH                          1998

FOUNTAINHEAD                      1949

BLACK ORPHEUS                    1959

LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN          1948

CHAPTER TWO                       1979

CAPTAIN NEWMAN, M.D.        1963

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I request North By Northwest and Doctor Zhivago every month.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Blue Veil is one of those films with rights issues, but it can sometimes be found on YouTube or unofficial websites. The Fountainhead is shown fairly often (recently in a Patricia Neal tribute), and Bonjour Tristesse, The Day of the Jackal, Tea and Sympathy, and Strangers When We Meet all turn up from time to time. Bonjour and Jackal are both favorites of mine. Good Morning, Miss Dove was shown when Jennifer Jones was Star of the Month. The Fox films are turning up more often these days, so there is hope.

You mention a number of interesting films that I'd like to see, too.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Black Orpheus and Letter From an Unknown Woman are already on relatively frequently.

Maybe they were not shown on the Canadian station because I sure have not see them. I think I saw Black Orpheus once about 10 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a letter to three wives is on very often but I don't think I've ever seen letter to an unknown woman

I know black orpheus, hanover street and bonjour tristesse have all played in the last couple of years

(in canada too!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I request North By Northwest and Doctor Zhivago every month.

you fiend!

:lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I request North By Northwest and Doctor Zhivago every month.

Clearly the programmers respect your choices.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scsu1975 said:

Clearly the programmers respect your choices.

I noticed the schedule for today. My diligence has finally paid off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lolly said:

Maybe they were not shown on the Canadian station because I sure have not see them. I think I saw Black Orpheus once about 10 years ago.

If you're in Canada, certain movies scheduled by TCM-US will be replaced with other titles. This is generally considered to be 1) a function of rights issues, and 2) deeply annoying.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

Clearly the programmers respect your choices.

Must be true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hutz said:

a letter to three wives is on very often but I don't think I've ever seen letter to an unknown woman

I know black orpheus, hanover street and bonjour tristesse have all played in the last couple of years

(in canada too!)

That's what I mean "In the last couple of YEARS" while other movies play over & over & over again...often during the same month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Black Orpheus and Letter From an Unknown Woman are already on relatively frequently.

How frequently would you say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lolly said:

How frequently would you say?

According to MovieCollector's database (http://www.moviecollectoroh.com/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm)

Black Orpheus was shown 11 times last year.

Letter from an Unknown Woman is listed as having shown 3 times, the last in 2013. I would have sworn this one was shown more recently, as I recall people discussing it on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lolly said:

Maybe they were not shown on the Canadian station because I sure have not see them. I think I saw Black Orpheus once about 10 years ago.

Lolly, I went back and looked at the TCM schedule for the Patricia Neal tribute on Jan. 25, and unfortunately as you suspected in Canada The Fountainhead was replaced with The Subject Was Roses.  Sorry per Polly above this must be very disappointing.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I request North By Northwest and Doctor Zhivago every month.

:D

Was a time for a while there that showing NORTH BY NORTHWEST every month would mean a REDUCTION in the frequency it WAS being shown!  ;) 

And I too, can't think of any movies listed in the OP's list that hasn't been shown(at least once).  :) 

Sepiatone

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggie is Just Imagine (1930).  Just a quirky old Comedy-Fantasy-Musical-Romance-Sci-Fi.

I just want to see a nice print of it get out there.  It has been shown at film festivals and so forth, just not released on DVD as far as I know (though I haven't checked lately).

Another is Tough Guys (1986).  That actually is out now, at least on Amazon Prime.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'd like if they showed  PRESSURE POINT('62) more often.  It does show up once every couple of years or so.....

Sepiatone

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

According to MovieCollector's database (http://www.moviecollectoroh.com/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm)

Black Orpheus was shown 11 times last year.

Letter from an Unknown Woman is listed as having shown 3 times, the last in 2013. I would have sworn this one was shown more recently, as I recall people discussing it on here.

Here's what I have for Black Orpheus (1959):
1997-03
1997-05
2009-11
2010-07
2010-10
2011-01
2011-02
2014-06
2016-06
2018-02
2018-09

Here's what I have for Letter From An Unknown Woman:
2010-03
2012-01
2013-08

The more recent years (2011 or so, and up to last month-ending) no longer just use the schedule from the TCM website.  They also use hard data of what actually aired.  So these will be the most accurate.  Prior to 2011 and future months still rely on TCM online schedules, as available to general public.  Prior to the online schedules, printed schedule cards, as mailed out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Here's what I have for Black Orpheus (1959):
1997-03
1997-05
2009-11
2010-07
2010-10
2011-01
2011-02
2014-06
2016-06
2018-02
2018-09

Here's what I have for Letter From An Unknown Woman:
2010-03
2012-01
2013-08

The more recent years (2011 or so, and up to last month-ending) no longer just use the schedule from the TCM website.  They also use hard data of what actually aired.  So these will be the most accurate.  Prior to 2011 and future months still rely on TCM online schedules, as available to general public.  Prior to the online schedules, printed schedule cards, as mailed out.

Oh, I see. I was taking the two dates to the right as the first and the latest dates shown. My mistake, and thanks for the correction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

My biggie is Just Imagine (1930).  Just a quirky old Comedy-Fantasy-Musical-Romance-Sci-Fi.

I just want to see a nice print of it get out there.  It has been shown at film festivals and so forth, just not released on DVD as far as I know (though I haven't checked lately).

Is there a nice print of Just Imagine out there? Supposedly any good prints were lost in the 1937 Fox vault fire, and the only surviving elements are a workprint. This may explain why Fox hasn't issued it on DVD, and apparently allows it to be posted on Youtube and other backchannel sources.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

My biggie is Just Imagine (1930).  Just a quirky old Comedy-Fantasy-Musical-Romance-Sci-Fi.

Oh god I love Just Imagine.  The Martian dance scenes are amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fox Movie Channel, before it became FXM, ran Just Imagine several times, and the print was better than what I've seen on Youtube.  But that could just be that the copies on Youtube are a later generation than that FMC ran.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us