Sign in to follow this  
Moorman

The Complete Metropolis (2010)

1 post in this topic

I know the original was released in 1927.  This review if for the "Complete Metropolis " version released in 2010.

Never being a fan of silent films and not even wanting to be a fan of silent films, I went into this with low expectations.  Next, I've found that a lot of the so called " best ever " films can be overrated.  Knowing that and seeing a few clips of Metropolis on Youtube lead me to have low expectations.  I went ahead and gave it a look because of Fritz Lang and its reputation.  I was VERY pleasantly surprised at how good this film is.  The film is dreamy, atmospheric and just plain damn good.  The score is OFF THE CHARTS good.  The complete version I saw here has missing scenes inserted and intertitles that explain the couple of scenes that could not be restored from the footage found in Argentina and New Zealand.  The film is still complete even without those very minor flaws.  The restored footage from Argentina is very scratched and blemished BUT adds a layer of beautiful authenticity to the film.  It actually ENHANCES the dream like quality and value of this film.  You are reminded of the treasure that this film is when those scenes pop into view.  I can't say enough about how great this film is.  A SOLID 10 out of 10 and a must have for your film library...

This film changed my perception of Silent Films and its now one of my favorite genres of film.  If ANYTHING the critics have this ranked too low.  It should be top 10 in ANY critics poll. Its THAT good...

Image result for metropolis film

Related image

Image result for freder metropolis