Sign in to follow this  
darkblue

Star Trek Is Dead??

29 posts in this topic

A former poster (whom think passed on) Kid Dabb would say it's dead and buried with many dancing on it's grave.

30 minutes ago, darkblue said:

Why dancing?

Still remember one of his last post, stating Star Trek was dead after the first reboot.  Compared it to the fall of Atlantis.

In some ways the original series could be considered dead because of the (too far) drastic differences between the 2009 reboot and what we grew up with.  Might as well be another movie altogether.

The Constitution class Enterprise which is newer in regard to the time line but looks like a piece of junk compared to the one OLDER in the 2009 film.

serie-tv-star-trek-001.jpg?w=1000&h=600&

Star-Trek-2009-HQ-spirk-34857381-1920-80

26 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Still remember one of his last post, stating Star Trek was dead after the first reboot.  Compared it to the fall of Atlantis.

In some ways the original series could be considered dead because of the (too far) drastic differences between the 2009 reboot and what we grew up with.  Might as well be another movie altogether.

The Constitution class Enterprise which is newer in regard to the time line but looks like a piece of junk compared to the one OLDER in the 2009 film.

I don't like the new Trek movies at all, but that last point was addressed. The giant ship that the villains used to go back in time with at the film's start was captured and backward engineered, boosting the technology of this new timeline considerably. Remember, thanks to the time travel changes (death of Kirk's father in a different fashion, etc.) the reboot movies (which are technically sequels since original Spock was in the first one) created a new timeline/alternate reality, depending on your cosmological outlook (single universe vs multiverse). 

Now I'll push my glasses up and adjust my pocket protector, as my nerd-work is done!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I don't like the new Trek movies at all, but that last point was addressed. The giant ship that the villains used to go back in time with at the film's start was captured and backward engineered, boosting the technology of this new timeline considerably. Remember, thanks to the time travel changes (death of Kirk's father in a different fashion, etc.) the reboot movies (which are technically sequels since original Spock was in the first one) created a new timeline/alternate reality, depending on your cosmological outlook (single universe vs multiverse). 

Now I'll push my glasses up and adjust my pocket protector, as my nerd-work is done!

Thought it was swallowed by a black hole Spock made with Red Matter?

9 hours ago, hamradio said:

Thought it was swallowed by a black hole Spock made with Red Matter?

That happened at the end of the movie. If you'll recall, there's over 20 years between when Nero and his ship appeared in the past and the later events of the film, during which the ship was out of his hands (he's seen escaping from a Klingon prison). It was during this time when his ship's tech was disseminated throughout the galaxy. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

That happened at the end of the movie. If you'll recall, there's over 20 years between when Nero and his ship appeared in the past and the later events of the film, during which the ship was out of his hands (he's seen escaping from a Klingon prison). It was during this time when his ship's tech was disseminated throughout the galaxy. 

Need to watch that movie again, never seen him escaping any Klingon prison.

35 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Need to watch that movie again, never seen him escaping any Klingon prison.

The quality is poor, but here's the scene:

33 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The quality is poor, but here's the scene:

Whoa, the Directv Pay-per-view version I seen had that scene edited out.  No wonder there is confusion!

https://trekmovie.com/2009/10/27/star-trek-movie-deleted-klingon-scene-available-online/

Now I know how Captain Janeway feels! 

Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Now I know how Captain Janeway feels! 

She never should have cut her hair.

starsoo.jpg.1e3407d67c13d8d370d354cc79ae4aa2.jpg

Most of you know I'm a big Trekkie and love the original series. I enjoyed TVs Second Generation and the first group of movies but all these new ones leave me cold.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned & nostalgic enjoying the simplicity of the OS in retrospect. Nothing made me laugh more than a scene of yeoman Rand giving Captain Kirk a shoulder rub when he felt "stressed".

The future workplace....right.

Unfortunately, only a handful of people have seen Son of Star Trek, an independent film produced in 1970 by a bunch of high school kids in Connecticut. Below is a still from one of the many action-packed sequences. Here, Spock attempts to give Superman (the special guest star) the Vulcan nerve pinch:

QbN6THK.png

I will leave it to all of you to guess who did quintuple duty as producer, co-director, screenwriter, costume designer, and special guest star.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Nothing made me laugh more than a scene of yeoman Rand giving Captain Kirk a shoulder rub when he felt "stressed".

The future workplace....right.

A rub from Deanna Troi - now that's the ticket.

• Thanks 1

paramount murdered star trek and permanently alienated millions of people worldwide who kept it alive throughout most of the 1970s when they killed off Kirk in that foul abomination star trek Generations.

I only watched that reprehensible pos once on pay cable and I refuse to ever watch it again. paramount can take their super bowl ads for discovery and shove their ruined crud up their kazoos with a triskelion three hooked grappling pole.

:D

Image result for gamesters of triskelion

16 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Image result for gamesters of triskelion

At least Shatner is dressed yummy good!

• Like 1

Shatner lost his fortune when he invested in Priceline.com.

He took it well, though. He's Canadian, ay.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, darkblue said:

Shatner lost his fortune when he invested in Priceline.com.

Really or are you just joking? He claims he made lots of money from them.

He certainly is taking just any job that comes his way, though. And crazy schedule of personal appearances. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Really or are you just joking? He claims he made lots of money from them.

I wasn't joking, but neither am I positive about it. The impression I've had is that he went down with the ship, financially speaking.

But rumors can be wrong.

3 hours ago, darkblue said:

I wasn't joking, but neither am I positive about it. The impression I've had is that he went down with the ship, financially speaking.

I watched him closely at his personal appearance. He seemed really lively and pretty fit for a man his age. But I know how grueling travel & appearances are, incredibly tiring even when relatively young. I can't help wonder why he puts himself through it.

I realize he must live high on the hog and he deserves it at this point in his life. I was grateful he made the trek to Ticonderoga NY so I could meet him before I die. But I wonder why he doesn't kick back & enjoy?

One of the things that really struck me reading his book, was his fears from his struggling salad days only wanting $1000 in the bank to feel successful. For most artists, learning to budget erratic income is an art in itself and some never lose their fear of destitution.

2 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I watched him closely at his personal appearance. He seemed really lively and pretty fit for a man his age. But I know how grueling travel & appearances are, incredibly tiring even when relatively young. I can't help wonder why he puts himself through it.

One could wonder the same thing about Donald Trump. He never seems to sleep and he seems indefatigable.

6 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I realize he must live high on the hog and he deserves it at this point in his life. I was grateful he made the trek to Ticonderoga NY so I could meet him before I die. But I wonder why he doesn't kick back & enjoy?

One of the things that really struck me reading his book, was his fears from his struggling salad days only wanting $1000 in the bank to feel successful. For most artists, learning to budget erratic income is an art in itself and some never lose their fear of destitution.

I read a couple of his autobiographical books, and he detailed how his career had sunk so low in the 70's that he was living in a small trailer towed behind his pickup, and struggling to pay his stable fees. I think that period of struggle, going from modest success to near total failure before ramping back up again thanks to the Trek movies and TJ Hooker, made him a workaholic who can never be financially secure enough in his own mind. He also likes the attention, I'm sure. I haven't seen that lawyer ad that was posted above; it must be regional. But I do see him in a portable oxygen system commercial that runs on retro channels.