Sign in to follow this  
David Guercio

S.T. Patrick’s Day Spotlight

17 posts in this topic

Yep.  Just what this country needs....

MORE Irish music.  :rolleyes:

I got more than my fill back in the '90's with the "Riverdance" craze.  :blink:

n fact, and IMHO, after more than an hour of everyone doing the SAME dance"move" over and over and overandoeverandoever.... :blink:

With the ONLY change being the NUMBER of people all DOING the same dance "move", I figured a BETTER name for it all would be...

"Re-DUN-dance!"  :P

OK DB....I'm done complaining here!  ;)

Sepiatone

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Yep.  Just what this country needs....

MORE Irish music.  :rolleyes:

I got more than my fill back in the '90's with the "Riverdance" craze.  :blink:

n fact, and IMHO, after more than an hour of everyone doing the SAME dance"move" over and over and overandoeverandoever.... :blink:

With the ONLY change being the NUMBER of people all DOING the same dance "move", I figured a BETTER name for it all would be...

"Re-DUN-dance!"  :P

OK DB....I'm done complaining here!  ;)

Sepiatone

Also the movies they've scheduled for the spotlight are the usual ones like Odd Man Out that they ALWAYS play this time of year anyways. :lol: 

• Sad 2

:o

WHAT!?!

No... THE QUIET MAN???

I didn't check the schedule however, so maybe.......  :huh:

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

No... THE QUIET MAN???

Actually ... YES! 8 PM ET on 3/17.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Also the movies they've scheduled for the spotlight are the usual ones like Odd Man Out that they ALWAYS play this time of year anyways. :lol: 

It's true that some of the Irish-themed movies scheduled for March have been shown often for past St. Patrick's Days.

But I'm glad that TCM is premiering Top o' the Morning this year, an enjoyable Bing Crosby/Barry Fitzgerald comedy/mystery set in Ireland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yeah well, what I wanna know is who the heck this "S.T. Patrick" dude is???

(...wouldn't be any relation to Butch Patrick, would he?!)

• Haha 2

Count me in as one who enjoys the same ole chestnuts every holiday. I like having something to look forward to...like an EVENT. "Holiday" movies. Sprinkling in a few more unusual titles within the theme to add variety is great too. 

Anything with fave Maureen O'Hara or Bing Crosby works for me. Irish music, Irish drink, Irish horses, Irish sentimentality....does it get any better?

What I like about Saint Paddy's Day, is it brings out the real (or imagined) Irish in practically all of us!
Green beer and Irish whisky, Lots of ballads about the orange & green, the bloody black & tan, and plenty of carefree and careless dance moves... :P

I'm stocking up with plenty of Baily's to go with my Bryers, and will break-out my mp3 collections of The Irish Rovers, The Chieftains, Battlefield Band, The Clancy Brothers, The Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem, Cherish The Ladies, Celtic Woman, Aine Minogue, Loreena McKennitt, and more.... maybe even some Enya to help mellow out the evening.  :)

BTW I met both Tommy Makem and the Battlefield Band when they were on tour in Alaska during the '80's.
Even introduced the latter on stage at a local dive. Quite a nice bunch of very talented fellows.
So much to reminisce as I get pleasantly sauced. Too bad I won't have any of my funny brownies to enjoy with my ice cream, but such is life.
Since I'll probably be in a rambling mood (usually am), I'll try to refrain from these boards if I am alone.... As i know how that ended up the last time I got uninhibitedly nostalgic and ranted a couple of "lengthy" stories.
Sometimes it's not wise to get too loose in public (or on a public forum) as one is sure to embarrass their "friends" and someone usually finds offense with something that is said or done. And I am not yet to the point where I don't care at all what people think or say.
Getting close, but not quite  there yet. ;)

On 2/5/2019 at 6:06 PM, Dargo said:

Yeah well, what I wanna know is who the heck this "S.T. Patrick" dude is???

(...wouldn't be any relation to Butch Patrick, would he?!)

:D 

Well, for YEARS 'round here a popular TV sportscaster and the "play-by-play" guy for Lion's games was a guy named VAN Patrick! I don't think he's related either.....

Sepiatone

My project of The Bride's Play (1922) starring MARION DAVIES is still scheduled for Patty Day. Here is Thea Talbot (left) giving Marion Davies some tidbits about her boyfriend.

E.jpg

???

The "imagined" Irish in all of us?

I happen to have more self respect than that!  ;)

To me, just another day that provides stupid drunks( is there another kind?) an excuse to absolve any guilt over getting sh*t faced and behaving like idiots.  As does CINCO de MAYO for many.(I also expect SOME nit-wit to blather on about the "real or imagined" Mexican  in us! :rolleyes: )

I suspect the only green thing I'LL be consuming that day is either BROCCOLI or some other vegetable.  ;)  NO corned beef and cabbage stinking up MY house, thank you.  :) (besides, my hypertension forbids the corned beef.)

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

???

The "imagined" Irish in all of us?

I happen to have more self respect than that!  ;)

To me, just another day that provides stupid drunks( is there another kind?) an excuse to absolve any guilt over getting sh*t faced and behaving like idiots.  As does CINCO de MAYO for many.(I also expect SOME nit-wit to blather on about the "real or imagined" Mexican  in us! :rolleyes: )

I suspect the only green thing I'LL be consuming that day is either BROCCOLI or some other vegetable.  ;)  NO corned beef and cabbage stinking up MY house, thank you.  :) (besides, my hypertension forbids the corned beef.)

Sepiatone

I dunno Sepia, but this sure sounds to ME as if you might still be nursing a little grudge here that we don't ALSO have big celebrations and a reason to party hardy every year for St. Stanislaus.

(...of Poland)

;)

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I dunno Sepia, but this sure sounds to ME as if you might still be nursing a little grudge here that we don't ALSO have big celebrations every year for St. Stanislaus.

(...of Poland)

;)

Or they could just rename St. Patrick's Day to "Slavic Patrick's Day" and that would work too. :) :lol: 

13 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Or they could just rename St. Patrick's Day to "Slavic Patrick's Day" and that would work too. :) :lol: 

Yeah, or maybe even call it "Slavic Tradition Patrick's Day".

AND, which could THEN be LEGITIMATELY shortened to "S.T. Patrick's Day" to differentiate it from "St. Patrick's Day!

(...and no relation to Butch, of course)

• Haha 1

Btw...what date do you think we ought to pick for this?

I'm thinkin' maybe September 29th of every year.

(...that's Lech Walesa's birthday...I hear he's still pretty popular over there...doin' stuff like drivin' the Ruskies out of your country usually makes people pretty popular with their fellow countrymen, ya know)

I would like to see a day dedicated to those of us who are not from around here ... Klaatu.