Sign in to follow this  
Moorman

The Freshman (1925)

3 posts in this topic

This was a pretty good film that I feel drops a few notches from being perfect. Harold Lloyd goes off to college and wants to become popular on campus by joining the football team.  The plot sets up nicely with Harold at home with his parents and they express their joy at him saving his money and going off to college.

( spoiler alerts):  Enroute by train to the campus Harold Lamb ( Lloyd) meets a woman on the train named Peggy ( Jobyna Ralston) with whom he sits down next to and helps her with a puzzle.  There is a instant unspoken admiration between the two.  Later at the campus Lamb runs across his new classmates and finds out the most popular guy on campus, Chet Trask ( James Anderson ) plays football.  The Campus Cad ( Brooks Benedict) runs across Lamb and immediately turns him into the campus joke.  Lamb rents a room and finds out that Peggy's mom owns the house when he encounters Peggy cleaning the room.

The plot goes on to feature a few very funny gags by Lamb that lead to him eventually joining the football team. The problem I had with the gags is I felt he stayed in them too long.  The gag at the " Fall Frolic" dance for instance.  Another thing that I had a small problem with is Lloyd's gags required me to suspend reality a lot more than the gags of Charlie Chaplin.  I'm nitpicking the film but those issues ARE there for me.

The production of the film ITSELF is first rate. The cinematography is by Walter Lundin, music by Harold Berg, production by Harold Lloyd and direction by Fred C. Newmeyer and Sam Taylor.  The cinematography stands out here. Its very crisp with superb lighting for the sets and locations. I'm a big fan of "Trad" and " Ivy League" clothing so the wardrobe really popped here for me also.  

Overall its a great film.  The two minor quibbles I have above hold it back for me though and keeps it around a 8 to 8.5 out of 10...

Image result for the freshman 1925

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

Yes, I found the camera work exceptional also. The football game scenes in particular were great. I'm a fan of Harold Lloyd.

I've got a list of his films to watch.