Sign in to follow this  
NickAndNora34

This is the Dawning of the Age of Being Canceled

38 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

San Pedro is a community within the incorporated City of Los Angeles, just like Hollywood. Its a loooong story.

Yeah, I know.

You're talkin' to an old L.A. boy here too, remember.

But seein' as how you seem reticent to discuss this, I'll drop the subject.

(...I only brought it up 'cause I wanted to know if I've been imaginin' things lately...the sure sign one is startin' to lose it) ;)

8 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, I know.

You're talkin' to an old L.A. boy here too, remember.

But seein' as how you seem reticent to discuss this, I'll drop the subject.

(...I only brought it up 'cause I wanted to know if I've been imaginin' things lately...the sure sign one is startin' to lose it) ;)

I don't mind discussing it. Its just that I live in an unicorporated section of San Pedro that isn't actually part of the city of Los Angeles. Something to do with a Spanish land grant long ago. For example, I can't vote for the mayor but, I can vote for the governor. And my street has no street lights. If I want to pay my electric bill in person, I have to drive more than ten miles to do it.

I just didn't want to bore anyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2019 at 6:48 PM, Dargo said:

Yeah, so then how about Annie Get Your Gun! THAT one's not being done to death much anymore, is IT?!

And the NRA could maybe even sponsor it and thus saving NBC millions in overhead.

(...hey, anything to get 'em to spend their money on something other than politicians would be a good thing, wouldn't ya say?!) ;)

LOL

If they retitled it Annie Get Your Wall, and she could be picking off people climbing over the impediments, instead of clay targets, it would be a hit.

• Haha 2

On 2/5/2019 at 7:00 PM, Dargo said:

I heard word was once NBC couldn't get The Cowsills to open it with the title song, the whole deal kind'a fell through.

(...and which of course then left The Fifth Dimension's number in it hangin' in the breeze too) 

Anathema! Cowsills and Fifth Dimension mentioned in the same post.

Now I need some Syrup of Ipecac.

• Haha 1

He's in San Pedro looking for Keyser Söze.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 3:48 PM, Dargo said:

Yeah, so then how about Annie Get Your Gun! THAT one's not being done to death much anymore, is IT?!

And the NRA could maybe even sponsor it and thus saving NBC millions in overhead.

<snip>

With NRA sponsorship, they could do it in Russian.  Anya Get Your Kalashnikov.

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2019 at 12:56 PM, NickAndNora34 said:

I adore The Music Man, and I understand the TV version from 2003 (with Matthew Broderick) wasn't as up to par as the original by any means, but I'd love to see it live.

Well,  I agree the TV movie of THE MUSIC MAN wasn't nearly as good as I hoped and certainly not in the same league as the movie, or some stage productions I've seen. The biggest problem, I thought, was that Matthew Broderick wasn't  believable as Harold Hill. On the bright side, Kristin Chenoweth made a terrific Marion and was worth watching the movie for.  Still, because I love the music so much, and even with all it's faults, I do watch the TV movie now and then.

I can't explain it, but for me, watching a live TV production of a Broadway show is just more exciting.

10 hours ago, GordonCole said:

Anathema! Cowsills and Fifth Dimension mentioned in the same post.

Now I need some Syrup of Ipecac.

"Anathema!"? I never mentioned "Anathema!", Gordie!

So what song from Hair did THEY have a hit with back in the day?

It certainly never made the Top-40 anyway!

(...in fact, I don't think ANY of their records ever broke into the Top-40!!!)

• Haha 2

On 2/6/2019 at 10:45 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

I agree and I love this show, I own the original cast album, liked the 1979 film version and saw a great revival on Broadway in 2009. But it would not work on TV today, so much would have to be cut out, including foul language and racial slurs, as well as the famous nudity. 

My understanding has always been that it WAS the nudity that got people into the theaters to SEE it in the FIRST place.  ;)  

And IMHO, my guess would be that the STAGE VERSION couldn't HELP but be better than that filmed turkey.

And my suggestions for TV Broadway musical presentations would be----

SWEET CHARITY

DAMN YANKEES

Sepiatone

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

"Anathema!"? I never mentioned "Anathema!", Gordie!

So what song from Hair did THEY have a hit with back in the day?

It certainly never made the Top-40 anyway!

(...in fact, I don't think ANY of their records ever broke into the Top-40!!!)

The Cowsills brought new meaning to the word "vapid". The only thing worse than getting their album, The Best of the Cowsills [which was a blank disc!] for a present would have been if the Cowsills had intermarried with the Osmonds and continued to record and perform as a giant orchestral unit. 

As for Top 40 songs, I wonder if "I Love the Flower Girl" was a contender?

6 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

The Cowsills brought new meaning to the word "vapid". The only thing worse than getting their album, The Best of the Cowsills [which was a blank disc!] for a present would have been if the Cowsills had intermarried with the Osmonds and continued to record and perform as a giant orchestral unit. 

Wasn't the TV series The Partridge Family inspired by The Cowsills?

4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Wasn't the TV series The Partridge Family inspired by The Cowsills?

Ya just had to bring that up, didn't you?

As I recall, the Cowsills were possibly offered the possibility to be in a series about a family band, but balked when their own matriarch would not play herself, and instead it would be Shirley Jones.

Why are you making me remember all these traumatic events in TVLand? Are you just a sadist and trying to torture people? I will say humanity did seem to get rid of having to see the Cowsills ad infinitum; too bad the same can't be said of the Osmonds that are like a chronic disease, that lives on interminably like the Black Plague. Marie will still be doing diet ads when she is about ninety I am gonna guess, and she will have more surgery and end up looking like the brunette version of actress Anita Page.

4 hours ago, GordonCole said:

Thanks to big sisters in the 70's, and a Live album which consisted almost entirely of cover songs, the Cowsills were MY first introduction to "Hair", the Mamas & the Papas' "Monday Monday", the Beach Boys "Good Vibrations", and the Left Bank's "Walk Away Renee", thank you very much.  

4 hours ago, GordonCole said:

Ya just had to bring that up, didn't you?

As I recall, the Cowsills were possibly offered the possibility to be in a series about a family band, but balked when their own matriarch would not play herself, and instead it would be Shirley Jones.

The real Cowsills had also already had a variety special/pilot with sketches portraying them as a sitcom-family band, but when it went to full sitcom, nobody at the network wanted to deal with Bud Cowsill, stage-dad from Hell.

(Couldn't help looking up that Amazon documentary too, huh?  :D )